Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 136 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #2026
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

From FB:

Hello from Paris! Here is a Q and A about the tournament

Petra, are you looking forward to coming to Paris?

“Of course, I’m really looking forward to coming to Paris. I have always had a great time playing there, especially in 2011 when I won the title there and beat Kim, who was number 1 in the world at the time. I feel comfortable there so hope I can get some good matches.”

What are your favourite things about the tournament and city?

“Well first of all I like to play indoors, so that’s one thing! But I think that it’s very well organized, the people are friendly, and the tournament has a tough field because everyone is competing hard after Australia. Also, the hotel is right near the Champs Elysee and the Arc de Triomphe so you feel like you are right in the middle of the beautiful city and it’s easy to visit a little bit. Usually it’s tough to see the cities where we play.”

Why does your game work indoors?

“I find it easy to play indoors because everything is the same. No sun, no shade, no wind. I feel comfortable there. I played a lot indoors when I was a child because it was so cold in the Czech Republic so my game is suited to it. Plus it can be a fast surface J”

What is your main goal coming here?

“My goal is just to play matches. I want to be relaxed on the court and take a different approach after some tough results in Australia. I am coming with my best friend and my coach David is staying at home, so I hope it will be fun and I can play some good tennis again. I am also hoping to play doubles, which is something rare for me, so I hope that will be fun too!”
Advertisement

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #2027
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
@ you, i guess you never get over it? if anything Petra needs to play alot of matches to start grooving and FC is a great place to start. Also, almost all players play FC even USPova and it's not affecting their game, results or commitment to the tour. WTA advises players to play in Fed Cup\Hopman Cup, the most ridicilous part is WTA awards this commitment with zero pointers for players who eventually skips some tournaments to play FC for their country and represent the tour to more broad public, ATP has better approach towards Davis Cup then WTA to Fed Cup.
You mean, you don't think Petra's played enough Fed Cup matches?

And I already addressed the "Petra needs matches" component in my response.

And just so you know: I'm not down on Petra. I just call them the way I see them. I'm glad that you continue to be so optimistic or Petra's current direction and and play.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #2028
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
You mean, you don't think Petra's played enough Fed Cup matches?
You bet! I wanna see more FC trophies on the shelf

ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #2029
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Busytova

+ FC 1R on 9-10th February at Ostrava vs Australia
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #2030
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of

:shou t::roll s: - If 'Only' Ms Kvitova Could Practice What She Preaches!
The Tennis Space

The Tennis Space
Tuesday, 29 January 2013
Petra Kvitova, a former Wimbledon champion, tells The Tennis Space ‘How to have a great serve.’
Practice, but don’t over-practice. “When I was a kid, I used to practise my serve for fifteen minutes every day, always at the end of the session. So I would spent more than an hour and a half a week on it. It’s important to get the balance right, though. You don’t want to hit so many serves that you start to feel it in your arm and shoulder and then you’re not right for the matches. These days, I don’t measure it in time, but usually in balls, so I take, say, 60 balls and serve those until I’m happy with how I’m striking the ball. You will soon learn what’s right for you, and how much you need to do without tiring out your arm and shoulder. You don’t want to hit too many.”
Think about the spins you’re using as well as the placements. “When you’re playing on grass, you could think about using sidespin sometimes as that works on that surface, taking the ball away from the opponent. When I’m on the practice court, I always practise the placements and try to hit the spots. I don’t have certain serves that I hit on big points when I want an ace, as I mix it up.”
You need a strong body. “If you’re going to have a powerful serve, you need to be in shape and to be able to generate power. You won’t be able to have a good serve unless you have power in your body.”
Get your technique right. “With the serve, as with everything else in tennis, it’s so important to get your technique right. That’s something you have to learn over years and years. I had a strong serve as a junior, but I have improved it. You should also think about your grip as how you hold the racket is so important.”
Have confidence in your serve. “I know that I can get free points from my serve, especially indoors and on grass, and that’s important to me. I know that my serve is key to my game. Of course, the serve is not everything, but it’s a big factor.”
-
Petra Kvitova is playing at this week’s Open GDF Suez in Paris

© Ella Ling
ArcticMoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #2031
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

@Artic Moose

Yes, considering she served 18DF's at Oz vs Robson, and described it as "the worst I've ever served", she could stand to "practice what she preaches" indeed.

We'll see? It's good to know, she could even describe how to serve anymore
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #2032
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Petra Kvitova, a former Wimbledon champion, tells The Tennis Space ‘How to have a great serve, when you are on'
TimeyWimey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #2033
country flag ShiftyFella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
Petra Kvitova, a former Wimbledon champion, tells The Tennis Space ‘How to have a great serve.’
Practice, but don’t over-practice. “You don’t want to hit so many serves that you start to feel it in your arm and shoulder and then you’re not right for the matches. These days, I don’t measure it in time, but usually in balls”
“Mirror Mirror on the Wall, Who Is the Laziest of Them All"
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #2034
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
“Mirror Mirror on the Wall, Who Is the Laziest of Them All"
By the way, that could/should be Petra's and teams, official Practice motto ("Practice but don't over practice").

That's how it's been the past several years.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #2035
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
By the way, that could/should be Petra's official motto ("Practice but don't over practice").

That's how it's been the past several years.
Eliminated the part about Petra's team in deference to Petronius,but you could modify the above as, "Practice just barely enough to outwardly appear like a professional tennis player," or,"Practice during the normal,expected periods as most other players would...unless I need to catch one of Adam's tourneys in person or on satellite feed.......or there's some TV show I wanna watch......or there's some great sale at the clothing stores in whichever town I am.......or..."

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

JUSTICIA PARA LAS NORMALISTAS!! Pena de muerte para todos los narcos en Mexico!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #2036
country flag lupojohn
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
and my coach David is staying at home
This is probably the best news i've heard all year in regards to Petra.

RIP Elena Baltacha. You were taken far too soon from us. You will be missed, loved and remembered.
Vicky Duval Get well soon. We're all pulling for you in this awful fight you now face.
lupojohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #2037
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupojohn View Post
This is probably the best news i've heard all year in regards to Petra.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:33 AM   #2038
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

i know this is old news now, but since i just saw it again online...i don't understand WHY petra is playing fed cup AGAIN...wtf...seriously, hasn't she given enough of herself to her country already?!?!

this just further makes me question petra's ambitions...it just seems like she doesn't really care about her career and puts it after everything else...i mean just look at all the top players...azarenka, serena, sharapova...they ONLY play fed cup when it's an olympic year and never would even consider playing it consecutively during non olympic years...cuz they know that their careers and their quest to win GS comes first...i just don't understand Petra's priorities

yes, you can argue that Fed Cup is just one weekend and shouldn't take too much out of Kvitova...but immediately after, she has to play in Doha...i just think logistically, none of it makes any sense...she's already led her country to TWO fed cup titles...what more do they want?!

it's really, really hard for me to see Petra win more slams if she continues to be like this...putting her country before her own career and letting her team make all her decisions...but maybe, she's perfectly content w/ all of this...and having the one wimby title is enough for her...
TennisAddict84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:44 AM   #2039
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

^unless WTA put mandatory event in the same week with Fed Cup
TimeyWimey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 05:36 AM   #2040
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisAddict84 View Post
you can argue that Fed Cup is just one weekend and shouldn't take too much out of Kvitova
Many of your arguments were reasonable but the post confused symptoms with root causes.In your own words,FC doesn't cause any real damage to Petra in terms of wear-and-tear because it's only a brief portion of her yearly schedule.One could argue that she was overly fixated on patriotic obligations,yet there's no evidence that playing FC has harmed her so far.If the rest of Petra's yearly planning were good(in re fitness training,trying to strengthen her mental game,WTA scheduling,etc.),then very few of us would be mentioning FC in a negative light.

Where your post has a lot more merit is in the discussion and implication that Petra is way too Czech-oriented with regard to choosing team members,training set-up & location,and over-commitment to relatively minor events like Extraliga and promotional stuff that benefits her manager and not Petra.THOSE are the root causes of so many problems and,if they were dealt with properly,Petra's playing FC would have negligible negative impact and would continue to give her a nice emotional boost as it's often done to this point

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

JUSTICIA PARA LAS NORMALISTAS!! Pena de muerte para todos los narcos en Mexico!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote