Meet Julia Görges vol2 - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 8th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #31
country flag Vikapower

Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Meet Julia Görges vol2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoo View Post
11th? That would be awesome, but she's got only 2
No I meant the date. The 11th of July, the tournament starts the 11th I think.
Vikapower is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 8th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #32
country flag Rovegun

Rovegun is a splendid one to behold Rovegun is a splendid one to behold Rovegun is a splendid one to behold Rovegun is a splendid one to behold Rovegun is a splendid one to behold Rovegun is a splendid one to behold Rovegun is a splendid one to behold Rovegun is a splendid one to behold Rovegun is a splendid one to behold Rovegun is a splendid one to behold Rovegun is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
Good luck Julia at Bad Gastein and hopefully another title here... it's the 11th if I'm not mistaken !? Anyways best of luck.

P.S. I'm surprised there is no stats thread or maybe I should create one. It'd be cool also to have "Julia's hall of fame" sort of thing.
it´s up to you! you can do such a thread for Jule
Rovegun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #33
country flag Skoo

Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future

Quote:
No I meant the date. The 11th of July, the tournament starts the 11th I think.
Yes, that is true. But, of course, the other 11th will be also true same time next year
Skoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #34
country flag Vikapower

Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, that is true. But, of course, the other 11th will be also true same time next year
Hopefully I/we can only wish that for her and that'd mean that she'd be having a very successful career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovegun View Post
it´s up to you! you can do such a thread for Jule
Ok thanks, I already have everything compiled like what I posted in the stats thread for Petra on the opening page of TF (...) I'm just unsure if to post captions and update them or type them by hand.

I think though I'll go with the captions anyways. As for the hall of fame I'll most probably leave that to somebody else.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #35
country flag 19Christian87

19Christian87 is a name known to all 19Christian87 is a name known to all 19Christian87 is a name known to all 19Christian87 is a name known to all 19Christian87 is a name known to all 19Christian87 is a name known to all 19Christian87 is a name known to all 19Christian87 is a name known to all 19Christian87 is a name known to all 19Christian87 is a name known to all 19Christian87 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktymise View Post
Also, I'm still a bit peeved that she blew it at RG and Wimbledon.
Quote:
Yeah, I suppose we all are. Those were some awful ways to lose a match and to miss great chances.
At RG it was not that bad imo. That match was still nice to watch.
19Christian87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #36
country flag Specter
★ ★ ★ ★

Specter has a reputation beyond repute Specter has a reputation beyond repute Specter has a reputation beyond repute Specter has a reputation beyond repute Specter has a reputation beyond repute Specter has a reputation beyond repute Specter has a reputation beyond repute Specter has a reputation beyond repute Specter has a reputation beyond repute Specter has a reputation beyond repute Specter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Christian87 View Post
At RG it was not that bad imo. That match was still nice to watch.
It was one of Marion's crazy competitive matches this year. A lot of people had no chance when she was like that, so no shame in retrospect. Although I was raging all over the place when it was happening right before my eyes.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #37
country flag Skoo

Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future

It didn't look like Marion was able to beat her. The score was 4-0 in just 10 minutes and then the errors started creeping in. I was astonished by the low number of Julia's UEs, but it didn't last long. Well, maybe some of them were forced, but most of them were not. There was this particular error at the net at 4-0 or 5-1 when she smiled and started to make a lot of them afterwards. And she had a good chance of winning in straight sets, but she suddenly broke down. I think it was 3-3 in the second. Break to love, then the eye problem and being down (literally on one ocassion) until 4-1 for Marion in the third. Maybe I am biased but the only credit I can give to Marion is serving well for the match a 5-4 and forcing errors at times.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #38
country flag joy division

joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future

Quote:
It didn't look like Marion was able to beat her. The score was 4-0 in just 10 minutes and then the errors started creeping in. I was astonished by the low number of Julia's UEs, but it didn't last long. Well, maybe some of them were forced, but most of them were not. There was this particular error at the net at 4-0 or 5-1 when she smiled and started to make a lot of them afterwards. And she had a good chance of winning in straight sets, but she suddenly broke down. I think it was 3-3 in the second. Break to love, then the eye problem and being down (literally on one ocassion) until 4-1 for Marion in the third. Maybe I am biased but the only credit I can give to Marion is serving well for the match a 5-4 and forcing errors at times.
Julia played really very well in the beginning of the first set, Marion was pretty impressed and needed quite a long time to get into the match.
Therefore she had that 4-0 lead in the first set, and then, as you said the errors started creeping in, and Marion smell a rat.
Julia was still in control of the match, when she answered the loss of her service game in the end of the first, with a re-break to close the first set, but then slowly, but surely things changed.
Marion now played at a high and consistent level, and Julia`s game started to get consistently failing, and she was in permanent danger, to lose her service game.
The loss ot it at 3-3 was the turning point of the match. Julia was visibly rattled and not able to offer something in reply to Marion`s pressure and determination. So the match went by until 4-1 for Marion in the third.
Then again, being clearly behind, Julia played relaxed and better again, but against Marion, who is a very experienced, determined and focused player, it was too late.
The eye-story was something irrelevant, imo, it`s more the yet missing ability to stay focused, and keeping the level of play, when it matters at those big events.
By the way, it`s a similar story with her third-round match against Sharapova at the AO 2011. 6-4, 4-6, 4-6. She was down 0-4 in the third, getting back to 3-4, and then losing the match.
joy division is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #39
country flag Skoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy division View Post
The eye-story was something irrelevant, imo, it`s more the yet missing ability to stay focused, and keeping the level of play, when it matters at those big events.
By the way, it`s a similar story with her third-round match against Sharapova at the AO 2011. 6-4, 4-6, 4-6. She was down 0-4 in the third, getting back to 3-4, and then losing the match.
Yes, it probably was irrelevant, but who knows, maybe she actually didn't see the ball well And she was also coughing like hell and probably didn't have enough energy. Marion was always eating, but she took some bites only in the 3rd and she immediately "recovered".

I saw only highlights of the AO match, but at least there the stats were against her. Sharapova maybe played indeed better?
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #40
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

We'll know more about the status of Julia's game in the upcoming US hard court season.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #41
country flag Vikapower

Quote:
Julia was playing very well in the first set, Marion was indisputably dominated but she (Julia) usually always have these dips in concentration after the 1st set where she'll spray many UEs which explains why Marion was abled to put her teeth back into the match.

Julia wasted so much opportunities in the 3rd. set because of her inconsistency to align 2 good points in a row - she'd hit a mesmerizing FH and follow it up as soon with a very idiotic UE... she squandered a lot in the 3rd. set and deservedly lost it despite the paradox that she hit triple much more winners and was above in almost all service games.

---

The match against Maria was pretty much similar - Maria mostly dominated in the 1st., Julia having her chances in the 2nd. to completely kill the match doesn't take them, Maria raises her level in the 3rd. has the early break and despite all Julia's efforts to recuperate it by brilliant play at times, Maria was just too strong.

---

Julia's next step in majors in my opinion is management, match management, she's never that far - she lost all her 3rd. round matches in tight 3 set matches and all 3 times she won the 1st. set (...) so it really tells that she needs to get that concentration to another level and not authorize her opponents faith by giving away so much or at least make these lapses shorter.

Sometimes she just enters in that infernal circle where she seems to have no control on whatever she hits on-court... e.g. vs. Ana in Eastbourne - I still have no explanation why Julia was that good in the 4-5 first games and suddenly -------------------- these are the kinds of things that do not pass in the higher stages of the bigger events.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #42
country flag Skoo

Quote:
Julia's next step in majors in my opinion is management, match management, she's never that far - she lost all her 3rd. round matches in tight 3 set matches and all 3 times she won the 1st. set (...) so it really tells that she needs to get that concentration to another level and not authorize her opponents faith by giving away so much or at least make these lapses shorter.
That's a very good term. Management of the match is exactly what she needs Maybe it would have been better for her to have more dangerous opponents or at least seemingly more dangerous, like Wozniacki. She definitely had a good management of the matches against her this year. But there she also had the coach to come and cheer her up. That might be worth something. In the match against Safarova, she read something on a notebook exactly before breaking her and getting back into the match. She probably should have done it in the other matches too

Quote:
Sometimes she just enters in that infernal circle where she seems to have no control on whatever she hits on-court... e.g. vs. Ana in Eastbourne - I still have no explanation why Julia was that good in the 4-5 first games and suddenly -------------------- these are the kinds of things that do not pass in the higher stages of the bigger events.
I don't think Julia was any good the whole match. The first games were only breaks and, as far as I can remember, they were not caused by excellent returns. They were both pretty awful, but Ana managed to be more careful on a few occasions and that was it. Julia's winners/UEs ratio was (I think) way below 1, the DF were many and the first serve was pretty much absent. One of the worst matches I've seen from her. She usually loses playing better than her opponent But she assured us she learned from the last big failure.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #43
country flag joy division

joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future

[quote=Skoo;19871087]Yes, it probably was irrelevant, but who knows, maybe she actually didn't see the ball well And she was also coughing like hell and probably didn't have enough energy. Marion was always eating, but she took some bites only in the 3rd and she immediately "recovered".

I saw only highlights of the AO match, but at least there the stats were against her. Sharapova maybe played indeed better?[/QUOTE

Julia should be experienced enough to take care of her nutrition, but I remember that her coach gave her hand-signs during the breaks to take care of drinking enough in the match with Pavljuchenkova in Madrid, so may be, she can be careless sometimes.
She had caught a cold during the FO 2011, but I can`t assess, whether it affected her already in the match with Marion.
If yes, this is a serious point. At least she didn`t use as an excuse after the match. I can´t remember her coughing more than else in that match.
I´d say, it might also be a sign of not feeling comfortable overall on the court, but who knows?

Her match with Maria at the AO was consistently on a good level from both players, with rapid speed, offensive play and lot`s of winners, just fun to watch.
I don`t remember the stats, but Julia was able to keep the pace of Maria, and even dominate her in some parts of the match, and that`s not very usual, when Maria`s game is on.
Although Julia lost in the end, she herself is still proud of this match.
It was a really good performance of her in her first 3-round appearance at a GS.

Marion`s and Maria`s way to play are quite different, therefore it`s hard to compare the matches.
But in both matches she had some lack of concentration and determination in certain moments, and therefore she lost them.
It`s natural, that these things develop in years, and come along with the experience, and it`s very individual, how the players improve in that point.
joy division is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #44
country flag Vikapower

Quote:
That's a very good term. Management of the match is exactly what she needs Maybe it would have been better for her to have more dangerous opponents or at least seemingly more dangerous, like Wozniacki. (1) She definitely had a good management of the matches against her this year. But there she also had the coach to come and cheer her up. That might be worth something. (2) In the match against Safarova, she read something on a notebook exactly before breaking her and getting back into the match. She probably should have done it in the other matches too
(1) To be honest, I'm kind of exhausted with the Julia vs. Caroline thing match up because of the turn it has taken : non-fans in majority want Julia in Caro's part of the draw (almost every time) for her to "save the WTA" regardless of her personal success since the only purpose is to see the Dane fall -- Yes Julia has done very well against Caroline but we must remember that it was on her favorite surface by afar and certainly Caroline's worst.

It's true that playing the world #1 (though from my personal point of view is a complete utopia) certainly did help in keeping her composure... I guess you always kind of come focused when you're playing a top 5 or #1 player than when you play the #44th in the world.

---

I agree that Julia's coach is of a lot of help in the regular tournaments, he's very good but Julia has shown that she can find her way on her own like a big girl even when things are completely against her like in RG vs. Safarova -- the thing is it doesn't happen enough yet especially in the big stages... she can sometimes lost the plot in a match and never find the light again or anyways just a little bit of it (like vs. Marion) which obviously is not yet strong enough to get the better.

(2) Interesting, I never paid attention to this. I'll have a look at the match again for that.

Quote:
I don't think Julia was any good the whole match. The first games were only breaks and, as far as I can remember, they were not caused by excellent returns. They were both pretty awful, but Ana managed to be more careful on a few occasions and that was it. Julia's winners/UEs ratio was (I think) way below 1, the DF were many and the first serve was pretty much absent. One of the worst matches I've seen from her. She usually loses playing better than her opponent But she assured us she learned from the last big failure.
Yes but I assure you the 3-4 first games were excellent from Julia. She was hitting clean winners and really taking time away from Ana. At 4-2 approximatively, her serve just completely disappeared which then completely infected the rest of her game and made her clueless.

You are right on all the rest though, unfortunately, Julia was really that bad and the worst is that Ana wasn't doing anything extraordinary to win the match. It was Ana putting the ball back in play and Julia making an error on either the 1st. or 2nd. strike, just not good.

I don't know if this is the worst match I've seen from her but I have the feeling that in Charleston against Birnerova, though we didn't see the match was a pure ---------- and would have distasted me from 6-1 5-1 or 5-0. I really wonder what Julia was doing on-court before she finally got the match turned around.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #45
country flag Skoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy division View Post
Julia should be experienced enough to take care of her nutrition, but I remember that her coach gave her hand-signs during the breaks to take care of drinking enough in the match with Pavljuchenkova in Madrid, so may be, she can be careless sometimes.
Yes, I remember those sings (but in the match against Wozniacki). It was pretty funny, like a little child being instructed by her parent. She is kinda childish at times, isn't she?

Quote:
(1) To be honest, I'm kind of exhausted with the Julia vs. Caroline thing match up because of the turn it has taken : non-fans in majority want Julia in Caro's part of the draw (almost every time) for her to "save the WTA" regardless of her personal success since the only purpose is to see the Dane fall -- Yes Julia has done very well against Caroline but we must remember that it was on her favorite surface by afar and certainly Caroline's worst.
Another match on grass would have been wonderful, don't you think? It would have saved the WTA again. Anyway, I have nothing against Caro and I definitely care about Julia's career. But those matches are symbols of consistency for her. And I think the surface is not that important. She wasn't far from beating her at Copenhagen in 2010, but the consistency wasn't there in that match.

Quote:
I don't know if this is the worst match I've seen from her but I have the feeling that in Charleston against Birnerova, though we didn't see the match was a pure ---------- and would have distasted me from 6-1 5-1 or 5-0. I really wonder what Julia was doing on-court before she finally got the match turned around.
Well, she turned it around though. Those matches in Mexico must have been probably pretty awful too. I have a bad feeling about the fact that she's the first seed again (and the defending champion).

P.S.: She was reading from the notebook at 2-3 and broke Safarova's serve at 3-4. She made at least one stupid mistake after reading, but after that she won her service game to love. And she was looking very desperate until then.

Last edited by Skoo : Jul 9th, 2011 at 05:59 PM.