tipping 2010 ideas - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 20th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #1
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
tipping 2010 ideas

Any ideas for next season?

My suggestions:

a) each player gets to manage (moderate) one tournament in a season; I'm sure no one would mind, less people would doubt fairness and it would be fun; I'd let top four from last year to manage slams, others would manage smaller tournaments based on their '09 ranking (those high ranked would get to manage larger events); of course, we'd need to see the final rankings for '09 to be able to decide who manages what
b) calendar decided upon in advance and only those tournaments played, without "surprise events" or special "grand prix" ideas; also I'd say no ITF's as of next year
c) "best of 15" ranking system, so only your best 15 results count for the rankings; it'd be fun, and besides, you wouldn't have to play an event if you'd see you can't achieve a top15 result by playing it (less work for a manager).

Which ones you'd like and which ones you wouldn't? Do you have any other suggestions?
ma re is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 20th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #2
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: tipping 2010 ideas

i especially like this c) suggestion
also, i think we should make new system of ranking points(more similar to real tour) like in every other game(for example FITD, TT, suicide) where rankings points are based on a real tour system.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #3
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

So you suggest that points earned during the tournament don't count as ranking points i.e. that the ranking points are fixed depending on the level of the tournament? That might create a lot of ties in the rankings, especially in the first few months of the season, don't you think?

I don't mind sticking to the same system we had this year, 200 bonus points (on top of those earned during the tournament) for winning a slam or a SEC, 160 for winning a premier level event (like IW), and a 120 for international level events (like Birmingham).

To further explain my A) idea; Marco would manage AO, Tales would manage RG, who ever was 3rd last year would manage Wimbledon, 4th would do US Open, 5 would do SEC, 6 would do Bali (int. SEC), those ranked 7-25 would manage premier events (7th would manage the first premier of the year - Sydney on week 2, 8th would manage the second one of the season etc.), players from 26 to 36 would manage international events. So who ever was 26th last year would manage the first tournament of the season (and decide which one will it be, Auckland or Brisbane) since two international series events are played on the first week and we agreed to play only one event per week.

Nice to see people having ideas to make the game more interesting!
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #4
country flag Edy.

Edy. has a brilliant future Edy. has a brilliant future Edy. has a brilliant future Edy. has a brilliant future Edy. has a brilliant future Edy. has a brilliant future Edy. has a brilliant future Edy. has a brilliant future Edy. has a brilliant future Edy. has a brilliant future Edy. has a brilliant future

@ma re: I like all of your suggestions

Maybe we could request a tournament we would like to run like Suicide or Tennis Tipping? If a few players would request the same tournament, the higher ranked one would run it or something like that but everyone could run max. 1 Grand Slam, 1 Premier...!?
Edy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #5
country flag ma re

Edy, I don't mind your suggestion, but only if all the players would run the same total number of tournaments, and I think we'd soon run out of tournaments that way Reason - some folks would mind if some players would manage only one tournament and some would manage like 3, or something. I don't mind people requesting which tournament they'd like to run, based on their ranking.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 04:53 PM   #6
country flag Tales

Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold

I like your suggestions as well.

If we are looking for a new point system I think a similar system to FITD would fit best. For example a first place in a grand slam gives you 2000 points, second place 1400 points, 3-4 900 points and so on. But I don't see why it couldn't work the way it is now if people want that.

We need someone to manage the rankings. It's a lot more complicated when points needs to be defended and it's only the top 15. Maybe we could ask admins of other games for excel blueprints if there aren't any smart people around here?
#9 Highest #1 Titles: 2009: Budapest, Los Angeles, Cincinnati, 2010: Sydney, Moscow
Suicide Tennis: #51 Highest #23 Win: Bad Gastein 09, 's-Hertogenbosch 10, RU: Osaka 09, Luxembourg 09
TT Singles: #114 Highest #106
TT Doubles: #62 Highest #62 Titles: 2009 ITF Saint-Gaudens(w Marco tennis), 2010 Barcelona (w WhoAmI)
Tales is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM   #7
country flag ma re

Tales,

I don't really know what FITD is (tipping is the only game I'm in), but I wouldn't want to copy the points system from anywhere else. I think we should keep it as original as possible. Not sure if my suggestions already exist in some games, if they do, then I'm OK if we don't use them. I'm not objecting your idea (tennisfan_77 suggested something very similar, if not the same), but I think the one we have now is more unique and not something that's just copied from real tennis or some other game. Also, counting correct picks and adding them to bonus points gives less chance of ties in the rankings.

Regarding your second paragraph, are you suggesting that we again have only one manager? I suggested a diferent manager for every tournament thinking that it might make some players more happy about that part of the game. I believe that we have enough smart people here, but in order to have an entry list (defending points) we'd need info about how much points every player earned at each of the tournaments, and Marco is the only one who can provide us with those.

Also, it'd be nice to have more players join this discussion, or at least give us their thoughts about our ideas.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 06:38 PM   #8
country flag Tales

Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold

No, in other games the one in charge of the rankings uses the managers tournament rankings to create the overall ranking. It would be a bad idea to pass it around. As for the previous tournaments you can find everyone from Brisbane to Cincinnati in a thread further down and it's not hard to find the rest.
#9 Highest #1 Titles: 2009: Budapest, Los Angeles, Cincinnati, 2010: Sydney, Moscow
Suicide Tennis: #51 Highest #23 Win: Bad Gastein 09, 's-Hertogenbosch 10, RU: Osaka 09, Luxembourg 09
TT Doubles: #62 Highest #62 Titles: 2009 ITF Saint-Gaudens(w Marco tennis), 2010 Barcelona (w WhoAmI)
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 06:32 AM   #9
country flag ma re

Ah, got it - so one manager for overall rankings (sounds logical). But it would be best if it would be someone who doesen't play (maybe ask sexysova or adrian to do it, cause they say they won't play anymore). That person would be kind of a supervisor and react in situations when there's a suspicion of cheating. You're right that we could find top15 results with a bit of work. I'm fine about doing it, but I'll let you know if I need some help.

Another issue. Do we create another year-end ranking list for '09 with just top15 results or leave this one?

And a suggestion. How about we don't count points from people who haven't played a whole tournament? Many folks tip for a day or two but you still have to count their points and include them in the rankings. Some of them only show up for a tournament or two and don't even play those all the way.

About the top15 system. Since it's an entry ranking, how will do points come off? Every week, or we'll just replace those points from top15 with the new ones. It's tricky to do a top15 entry because our '09 points are based on over 30 events. For instance if last year's Brisbane isn't among my top15 results, do my Brisbane points come off after the tournament and are replaced by new points (if those are top15)? What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by ma re : Dec 23rd, 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #10
country flag ma re

Top15 results for '09 is not easy to calculate, cause final rankings for some tournaments have never been posted (like New Haven, for example).
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #11
country flag Tales

If you want to use the 2009 points you have to collect every score, list them from highest to lowest and then count the best 15. Also give each tournament a number from #01 to #52. So if Brisbane is #02, and the Brisbane points from year 2009 are in your best 15, they are replaced by whatever is your 16th best result in #03 year 2010. If Brisbane is moved to #05 they drop off in #03 anyway. It's important to know which tournament is in which week if we are using 52-week ranking system. I prefer doing it like this.

I don't see why we need someone who doesn't play to take care of the total rankings, but I don't mind anyway. You ask.

I say we count people who doesn't play the whole tournament. They may play other tournaments and their points should be counted. Also people might not be able to play everyday for some reason. But if you mean people who play one or two days for the entire year and that's it, I guess there's no reason to include them, but it's not much work and you never know if they will play again or not.

Tell me if you need help. Divide it by tournaments or players and let me do the rest
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #12
country flag Tales

Here's 2009

02 - Brisbane
02 - Auckland
03 - Sydney
03 - Hobart
04/05 - Australian Open
07 - Paris
07 - Pattya
08 - Dubai
09 - Acupulco
10 - Monterry
11/12 - Indian Wells
13/14 - Miami
15 - Ponte Vedra
15 - Marbella
16 - Charleston
18 - Stuttgart
19 - Rome
20 - Madrid
21 - Warsaw
22/23 - French Open
24 - Birmingham
25 - Eastbourne
25 - Hertogenbosch
26/27 - Wimbledon
28 - Budapest
29 - Palermo
29 - Prague
30 - Slovenia Open
30 - Bad Gastein
31 - Stanford
32 - Los Angeles
33 - Cincinatti
34 - Roger's Cup
35 - New Haven
36/37 - Us Open
38 - Guanzhou
38 - Quebec
39 - Seoul
39 - Tashkent
40 - Tokyo
41 - Beijing
42 - Linz
43 - Moscow
44 - YEC
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #13
country flag ma re

Did we even establish points that would be awarded for results in '09 SEC? Don't think so.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #14
country flag ma re

Your '09 calendar is missing some events;

week 8 - Memphis and Bogota
week 16 - Barcelona
week 18 - Fes
week 19 - Estoril
week 21 - Strasbourg
week 28 - Bastad
week 31 - Istanbul
week 42 - Osaka
week 43 - Luxembourg
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #15
country flag ma re

Vote in a new poll regarding changes in the ranking system!