Kate Antosik - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 17th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #1
country flag Sammy82

Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice
Kate Antosik

Hey any of you guys and girls no Kate? She's really dominated the AMT's this past year and I reckon has a great game. She has a great Australian Ranking and surely a world ranking isn't to far away! She deserves to be in the AIS way more than Tammi Paterson I reckon. How far do you reckon Kate can get?
Sammy82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 17th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #2
country flag Dani12

Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kate Antosik

I don't know how far Kate can get, she can definitely get a world ranking but would be suprised if she get further then top 800. I have been following her results at the AMTs and they have been impressive, so I don't know why she hasn't been able to do as well on the pro circuit.
Dani12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #3
country flag Sammy82

Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice Sammy82 is just really nice

I think Kate could do a lot better than 800 she hits the ball so hard and clean and is very dangerous off both sides. I think she's far more talented than girls like Calderwood, Patterson and Sheed and could potentially hit girls like Wejnet and Liv off the court. Just my thoughts!
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #4
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

Um, okay.
There is no way that Kate Antosik could hit Monika off the court. Judging by her results on the ITF Women's Circuit, she is quite inconsistent. Sure she might be a good ball striker, but come on!
The only reason she has 'dominated' the AMTs is because she has played a swag in South Australia. None of the girls really play too many in South Australia, unless it leads into an ITF event.
I don't think she's more talented than Sheed or Calderwood either. If she was, she would have a ranking and she would be ranked higher than Sheed (mid 500s) and Calderwood (mid 700s). I'm with Danimoo, doubt she will ever be top 800
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #5
country flag Sammy82

Okay Oztennis maybe i was going a little far, nevertheless Monika's results aren't anything to special her ranking is really being held up by her one tournament performance in Perth, other than that there's nothing else to special. I think you distinguish between talent and rankings as well just because Sheed and Calderwood are ranked higher doesn't mean they're more talented. Maybe if Kate had been given the same travel opportunities, wildcards, coaches etc that those AIS girls have had she'd be top 500 as well. I don't believe Tyra will ever crack into the top 400 without the help of Wildcards. Unfortunity I think many players and fans believe they're better than they are because they play in the Aus Open or their ranked 300 in the world when the reality is their rankings are inflated by wildcards and the many opportunties to play in WTA events like Sydney. Players from other countries don't have these opportunties and have to earn a true ranking that reflects their abilities. Just look at how our girls performed in the Aus Open Quals basically all smashed up.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #6
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

^^^
Well considering she only played 3 ITF main draws last year, winning one, making the quarters of another and the second round of a third, that's not too bad. If she plays more this year, she will end the year inside the top 250
I don't see how their rankings are overly inflated. I mean Tyra has only ever been given two wildcards into quallies for WTA events, one in 2005 for Canberra and one this year for Sydney. Thanks to two first round losses, I would hardly say that this has helped inflate her ranking. Same goes for Sheed. She got a quallies wildcard for Hobart last year, and Aussie Open, which she got again this year.

If Kate had the talent you say she does, she would be ranked around the same as Sheed and Calderwood, with or without the opportunities they have been given. Look at Anna Wishink. She has had practically no assistance up until recently, and only ever got wildcards for Hobart quallies because it was her home event. Antosik should have been making the inroads Wishink has to get any assistance from the AIS. But having said that, I think players like Patterson and Calderwood shouldn't be AIS anyway because they are not good enough and won't go anywhere
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #7
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZTENNIS View Post
^^^
Well considering she only played 3 ITF main draws last year, winning one, making the quarters of another and the second round of a third, that's not too bad. If she plays more this year, she will end the year inside the top 250
I don't see how their rankings are overly inflated. I mean Tyra has only ever been given two wildcards into quallies for WTA events, one in 2005 for Canberra and one this year for Sydney. Thanks to two first round losses, I would hardly say that this has helped inflate her ranking. Same goes for Sheed. She got a quallies wildcard for Hobart last year, and Aussie Open, which she got again this year.

If Kate had the talent you say she does, she would be ranked around the same as Sheed and Calderwood, with or without the opportunities they have been given. Look at Anna Wishink. She has had practically no assistance up until recently, and only ever got wildcards for Hobart quallies because it was her home event. Antosik should have been making the inroads Wishink has to get any assistance from the AIS. But having said that, I think players like Patterson and Calderwood shouldn't be AIS anyway because they are not good enough and won't go anywhere
Well said, it's called financial mismanagement
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #8
country flag Sammy82

Not just talking about WTA events but also the Pro Circuits, you get wild carded into main draw collect a wta point without winning a match.

WC in to Sydeny in 09
WC in Rockhampton in 08
WC in Kalgoorlie in 08
WC in Port Perie in 07
WC in Rockhampton in 07
WC in Hope Island in 06
WC in Gosford in 06
WC in Sydney in 06
WC in Yarawonga in 05
WC in Canberra in 05
WC in Rockhampton in 04
WC in Canberra in 04

The inflation of rankings also occurs in the Aus Rankings. Tammi Patterson for example has 1000 of her 2800 AR points made up from her 2 wta points (500 AR per WTA point = 1000), those 2 wta points come from a first round loss where she was wildcarded into main draw and another first round loss where she was a lucky loser entrient. So without winning a match she has 1000 AR points helping her to an Aus ranking of 47 and that being used as justification for an AIS spot.

Don't get me wrong I don't beleive Antosik is our next big hope who's missed out, I just believe she's probably the best Aus player without a ranking and that she's better than quite a few with a WTA ranking and given the right opportunities she could establish a reputable ranking.

The way the AIS and TA operate they will never produce a genuine grand slam contender or top class player, there slections into the program are biast and their training is rubbish and not close to what is needed. Paterson and Calderwood shouldn't be there, Sheed is completely out of shape, Peers has always been proped up by close TA connections, Moores ranking is held up by 240 points from WC's into grand slams (her ranking totally overinflated, if she wasn't Aussie no WC's into grand slams, no 240 points and half her wta's gone) and Casey is out of shape once again. Tennis here is in a dire situation, Liv and Monika probably are the two best talents we've got but still play like young girls as opposed to others from around the world at there age playing like women.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #9
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy82 View Post
Not just talking about WTA events but also the Pro Circuits, you get wild carded into main draw collect a wta point without winning a match.

WC in to Sydeny in 09
WC in Rockhampton in 08
WC in Kalgoorlie in 08
WC in Port Perie in 07
WC in Rockhampton in 07
WC in Hope Island in 06
WC in Gosford in 06
WC in Sydney in 06
WC in Yarawonga in 05
WC in Canberra in 05
WC in Rockhampton in 04
WC in Canberra in 04

The inflation of rankings also occurs in the Aus Rankings. Tammi Patterson for example has 1000 of her 2800 AR points made up from her 2 wta points (500 AR per WTA point = 1000), those 2 wta points come from a first round loss where she was wildcarded into main draw and another first round loss where she was a lucky loser entrient. So without winning a match she has 1000 AR points helping her to an Aus ranking of 47 and that being used as justification for an AIS spot.

Don't get me wrong I don't beleive Antosik is our next big hope who's missed out, I just believe she's probably the best Aus player without a ranking and that she's better than quite a few with a WTA ranking and given the right opportunities she could establish a reputable ranking.

The way the AIS and TA operate they will never produce a genuine grand slam contender or top class player, there slections into the program are biast and their training is rubbish and not close to what is needed. Paterson and Calderwood shouldn't be there, Sheed is completely out of shape, Peers has always been proped up by close TA connections, Moores ranking is held up by 240 points from WC's into grand slams (her ranking totally overinflated, if she wasn't Aussie no WC's into grand slams, no 240 points and half her wta's gone) and Casey is out of shape once again. Tennis here is in a dire situation, Liv and Monika probably are the two best talents we've got but still play like young girls as opposed to others from around the world at there age playing like women.
Yes that's true, but I'm still very unsure why you think Kate deserves funding from the AIS

Oh and don't diss Brittany Sheed. She has been given only little support over the years, but has taken advantage of nearly all opportunities that went her way. On top of that, I could definately see her being a top 100 player in the future.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #10
country flag Sammy82

Kate deserves a spot above Patterson and Calderwood, not saying she necessarily deserves a spot but if they're going to select patterson and calderwood then kate should be in ahead of them (hope that makes sense lol). My original post was just asking how far Kate could get, I think if she travelled then maybe about 600 isn't out of her reach.

Off topic but can any of you see any of the current crop of players being top 10 or winning a grand slam, its been so long since we've had a genuine grand slam contender (maybe Molik for a very very slight moment in her carrear).

Kittyking - not dissing sheed, i rated her extremely highly a few years ago but her current physical shape is worrying and makes me wonder how hard she's training. Not sure about top 100 but I guess time will tell!
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #11
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future

LOL I can't believe I'm reading this, it took Antosik 21 ITF events to even get to the 3rd round of qualifying, thats excluding the 1 main draw WC she received. Those AMT were so weak, she didn't really beat anyone of note

Maybe she has improved suddenly but she needs to prove it with some ITF results first before she can justify any help from TA!

Tammi Paterson has won through qualifying twice to ITF Main draws and even one a main draw match, something Antosik hasn't been able to achieve, and Calderwood well 2 ITF Quarter Finals, and one SF shows she is in a different league to Antosik.
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #12
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post
Oh and don't diss Brittany Sheed. She has been given only little support over the years, but has taken advantage of nearly all opportunities that went her way. On top of that, I could definately see her being a top 100 player in the future.
I second that, leave Sheed out of this, she is in a much superior league to Calderwood, Patterson and Antosik!!!
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #13
country flag kittyking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy82 View Post
Kate deserves a spot above Patterson and Calderwood, not saying she necessarily deserves a spot but if they're going to select patterson and calderwood then kate should be in ahead of them (hope that makes sense lol). My original post was just asking how far Kate could get, I think if she travelled then maybe about 600 isn't out of her reach.

Off topic but can any of you see any of the current crop of players being top 10 or winning a grand slam, its been so long since we've had a genuine grand slam contender (maybe Molik for a very very slight moment in her carrear).

Kittyking - not dissing sheed, i rated her extremely highly a few years ago but her current physical shape is worrying and makes me wonder how hard she's training. Not sure about top 100 but I guess time will tell!
I still can't see how you think that Kate deserves a spot in AIS, regardless of whom else is there. She simply does not meet any requirements.

Brittany's a better player now than she was a few years ago, just look at her results in the recent wildcard playoff. And if your calling her fat...don't, she's bulked up a bit that's all.

And for the record Alicia Molik, Sam Stosur and Rennae Stubbs are all Grand Slam Champions - just not in singles
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #14
country flag Sammy82

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSBOY View Post
LOL I can't believe I'm reading this, it took Antosik 21 ITF events to even get to the 3rd round of qualifying, thats excluding the 1 main draw WC she received. Those AMT were so weak, she didn't really beat anyone of note

Maybe she has improved suddenly but she needs to prove it with some ITF results first before she can justify any help from TA!

Tammi Paterson has won through qualifying twice to ITF Main draws and even one a main draw match, something Antosik hasn't been able to achieve, and Calderwood well 2 ITF Quarter Finals, and one SF shows she is in a different league to Antosik.
I can't beleive what i'm reading Pattersons results in 2008 are not comparable to Antosiks no way. She qualied once in a $10,000 dollar event in Great Britian then lost in quals 9 more times. Her qualing in 2006 doesn't justify a spot in the AIS. Paterson this year as well as others has had the chance to play in $10,000 events in Great Britian and the USA, Kate has only ever played 25k events much harder to establish a ranking that way. Kates AR ranking is already higher than Patterson and Patterson has 1000 worth of points that she didnt win a match for. Patterson has been in the TA/tennis vic system for years and there is very little to show for it and if her results meet the criteria for selection then so should a lot of others.

Results aside if you watch the two play it is clear who has more talent. Thats the trouble with the TA system is that all its based on is results, its who's the best 14 yr old, who won nationals etc etc. What about the players taking longer to develop, they get forgotton about. Look at in the guys Markino who wasn't even top 100 in u18 in Aus and now is 290ish in the world and chopping up a lot of the AIS guys including wins over many of the wildcards this year.

Calderwoods results are better no doubt, still think Kate is more talented and Calderwood doesn't have the potential to go much further.

Not calling Sheed fat, she looks out of shape which I think is really disapointing for an AIS athlete.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #15
country flag Sammy82

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSBOY View Post
I second that, leave Sheed out of this, she is in a much superior league to Calderwood, Patterson and Antosik!!!
Argeed. Sheed is a class above these people.