Pauline Betz Addie - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 12:00 PM   #1
country flag ugarte

ugarte is an unknown quantity at this point
Pauline Betz Addie

Pauline Betz Addie A Great Champion Is Died May 31 2011
I Think She Was A Beautiful Player From 1940-1947.
She Won Wimbledon In 1946 In The First Attempt And She Was Finalist In Roland Garros The Same Year.
She Won The Us Championships 1942 -1943-1944 And 1946
ugarte is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pauline Betz Addie

Really sad news. When Jeff and I interviewed her in 2004 she was such a delight.

Rest in peace Pauline. May you enjoy playing bridge with your mom in heaven.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

The American tennis hall of fame winner, Pauline Betz Addie was died on Tuesday, 2nd June, 2011 at an age of 91-years. Pauline was top women’s tennis player for United States in 1940’s.

Pauline was a top women’s player winning four consecutive U.S. National Championship, which is know as U.S open these days’ from 1941-1946 and she was well know of winning the Wimbledon championship trophy in 1946 without losing even a single set in the entire tournament.

The former American world No.1 was died on Tuesday, due to a Parkinson’s disease. She was initially from Dayton, Ohio. However, she has been grown as a girl in Los Angeles and was brought to tennis by her mother. She was also a longtime teaching professional in the Washington, D.C.

According to various sources, Addie had Parkinson’s disease, died at an assisted-living facility in Potomac, Md., the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Her career was cut short at the height of her success in 1947 when she was confirmed a specialized for exploring the opportunities of making a pro tour. She was disqualified from future major competitions, which allowed only part-time to enter until 1968.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #4
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation

Pauline Betz Addie, a Dominant Tennis Champion, Dies at 91

By Robin Finn, The New York Times, June 2, 2011, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/03/sp...ewanted=1&_r=1

Pauline Betz Addie, a dominant American tennis champion who at the height of her amateur career was abruptly barred from the sport in 1947 because she had openly considered turning professional, died on Tuesday [May 31, 2011] in Potomac, Md. She was 91.

Her son Gary confirmed her death, at an assisted living facility, saying she had had Parkinson’s disease.

Betz Addie, who was groomed on the tennis courts of Los Angeles, was a five-time Grand Slam singles champion and the world’s top-ranked woman when, in April 1947, the United States Lawn Tennis Association notified her by cable — she was in Monte Carlo at the time while competing in Europe — that she was barred indefinitely from taking part in any further amateur matches.

Another American player, Sarah Palfrey Cooke, a multiple Grand Slam champion, was also suspended. The two were ruled ineligible for the 1947 French Open.

Betz, who was 27 at the time (and had not yet married and added her husband’s name), had spoken openly about possibly leaving the amateur ranks and touring for pay with the likes of Jack Kramer and Gussie Moran. She and Cooke had discussed doing so together, and Cooke’s husband, Elwood Cooke, had sent a letter to the tennis association’s member clubs soliciting bookings. The letter, specifying fees the women would expect to receive, prompted the lawn tennis association to suspend them.

Betz had written to Cooke, who lived in Manhattan, asking how their plans for touring were coming, but she had not signed any professional contracts when the association issued its ruling. Her defenders called the decision unjust and premature.

"She was ruled out as an amateur on the basis of intent," Kramer wrote in his 1979 memoir "The Game: My 40 Years in Tennis," written with Frank Deford. He likened the Betz suspension "to what the Olympic committee did to Jim Thorpe" when it took away Thorpe's Olympic titles because he had earlier played semiprofessional baseball.

"It was a crime," Kramer wrote.

After the ruling, Betz said, "I’m not going to sit in a corner and cry about this."

She then began an entertaining but historically insignificant stint on the fledgling professional tour circuit, abandoning her Grand Slam career to play for pay from 1947 to 1960. As a professional, earning $10,000 her first year, she went undefeated in a field far less challenging than the amateur ranks.

At the time of her suspension, she had been undefeated in her last 39 matches, earning the No. 1 ranking. She owned a half-dozen Grand Slam titles, five in singles, a lonely discipline in which she excelled by virtue of her athleticism and a competitive streak so fierce that she routinely thrashed her outclassed opponents without surrendering more than a couple of points. Her only Grand Slam doubles crown came in the French Open’s mixed doubles competition in 1946.

Her news media coverage was often gushing. In 1946 she made the cover of Time magazine. "Pauline is a trim 5 ft. 5; her hair is strawberry blonde, sun bleached and wiry," the accompanying article said. "Principally because of her green eyes she seems to have a ready-to-pounce, feline quality. A straightening of her shoulders is a characteristic mannerism — a squaring away that seems to symbolize in an otherwise relaxed girl, a won't-be-beat spirit."

Though World War II curtailed Betz’s ability to test herself on foreign surfaces, she won on the grass courts of Wimbledon in 1946 — the only year she competed there.

At home, however, she was a demon on all surfaces. After capturing the national indoor and clay titles in 1943, she prevailed on the grass at Forest Hills in Queens, N.Y., where she fought her way to a record six consecutive finals from 1941 to 1946, winning four.

Betz's only defeats during that streak came in 1941 and 1945 against Cooke, who was superb hitting volleys, and was Betz’s stylistic opposite. Betz referred to her as "a good friend and a thorn in my side." Cooke joined the professional circuit just ahead of Betz in 1947.

In 1949 Betz married Bob Addie, a sportswriter for The Washington Post, taking his surname. The next year, the player-turned-promoter Bobby Riggs persuaded her to join a co-ed barnstorming circuit featuring Pancho Segura as well as Kramer and Moran. Betz Addie and Moran (Gorgeous Gussie in the news media) became circuit rivals, Betz Addie wearing leopard print short-shorts to compete with Moran’s famous lacy panties, which had caused an international stir at Wimbledon in 1949.

In one match, Betz Addie outplayed Moran so thoroughly that Riggs asked her to be more merciful to make his floundering tour appear genuinely competitive. She refused to lower her standards.

The tour was short-lived, but Betz continued to play professionally until 1960 while also teaching tennis. In 1955, she became the first woman to be named club professional at Bethesda's historic Edgemoor Tennis Club. The actor Spencer Tracy, a former boyfriend, was among her students.

Pauline May Betz was born on Aug. 16, 1919, in Dayton, Ohio, and raised in Los Angeles, where her tennis-playing mother taught physical education in the Watts section. Pauline bought her first tennis racket when she was 9, trading some of her father’s pipe collection for it at a thrift shop; her father made her take on a paper route to pay him back.

Her quickness on her feet and her piercing backhand passing shot soon distinguished her as a potential star on the local public courts. In 1939, she attained her first national ranking in the top 10; she was 19. That same year she received a scholarship from Rollins College in Florida, where she played on the men's tennis team, filling the No. 4 spot behind No. 1 Kramer.

In college she was known as a gifted all-around athlete, whether playing table tennis, golf or pickup basketball games with men. After graduating in 1943, she climbed to the top of both the United States and international rankings.

Betz Addie and her husband, who died in 1982, had five children, two of whom, Rusty and Gary, became tennis teachers. They survive her, as do two other sons, Jon and Richard; a daughter, Kim Addonazio; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Motherhood did not diminish her on-court tenacity. In a 1959 exhibition, when she was five months pregnant with her fifth child, Ricky, she defeated the indomitable Althea Gibson, the first black woman to win a Grand Slam title. Betz Addie was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1965. In 1997, she marched in the United States Open parade of champions to help christen Arthur Ashe Stadium in Flushing Meadows, N.Y..

Until 2003 she continued to compete at the club level, in part, she said, to "keep up" with her grandchildren. She also taught tennis at Sidwell Friends School and at clubs in the Washington area. She wrote two books, "Wings on My Tennis Shoes" and "Tennis for Teenagers."

Betz Addie said her first wish was to be remembered as a good wife and parent. Her backup wish? To be remembered as one of the best of her era. Kramer paid her that honor in his memoir, calling her the second-best female player he had ever seen, behind Helen Wills Moody. Betz Addie, he said, was "terribly underrated."

Last edited by austinrunner : Jun 4th, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #5

On clay

Pauline Betz Addie was a great player on all surfaces. But she was not invincible on clay. Dorothy Bundy Cheney defeated her 4 times from 1941 through 1946 on that surface, including the 1944 U.S. Clay Court Championships.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #6
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sad to hear of her passing. She was such a neat old gal- Rollo and i had the great fortune to interview her a few years back at the nursing home, and she even played a little piano for us, if memory serves. I think there's a thread somewhere about the visit and subsequent USTAMS article.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 03:00 AM   #7

Pauline Betz Addie, 1940s tennis champion, dies at 91

By Matt Schudel, The Washington Post, June 1, 2011, http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...mGH_story.html

Pauline Betz Addie, one of the preeminent tennis players of the 1940s, whose career came to an abrupt halt after she won four U.S. Open titles and the 1946 women’s singles championship at Wimbledon, died May 31 at the Summerville assisted-living facility in Potomac. She was 91 and had Parkinson’s disease.

Mrs. Addie, who was known by her maiden name during most of her tennis career, was the country’s dominant female player throughout World War II, when women’s tennis rose to new heights of popularity.

For six years running, 1941 through 1946, she reached the final round of the U.S. Open — then called the U.S. National Championship — and won four times. She was the top-rated player in the country.

In 1946, the only year she played at Wimbledon, she won the women’s title without losing a set in the entire tournament, defeating fellow American Louise Brough in the final. In September that year, the week she won her fourth U.S. Open, Mrs. Addie appeared on the cover of Time magazine, which pronounced her “the first lady of tennis.”

Tennis great Jack Kramer wrote in his autobiography that Mrs. Addie was the second-best female player he ever saw, after only Helen Wills Moody, who won 19 Grand Slam titles in the 1920s and 1930s. Mrs. Addie possessed a powerful backhand and remarkable speed on the court. “I can’t believe any woman who ever lived could keep up with Pauline Betz,” Kramer wrote. “On the court she was the best athlete I ever saw in women’s tennis.”

She was the reigning Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion in 1947 and at the peak of her athletic powers, but she would never appear in a major tournament again. When it was learned that she had explored the possibility of turning professional, she was banned from amateur competition because of “intent” and was not allowed to defend her championships.

Professional players were not allowed to participate in the four major Grand Slam events — Wimbledon and the U.S., French and Australian opens — until 1968. This year, the men’s and women’s champions at Wimbledon will receive $1.8 million apiece.

But when Mrs. Addie competed during the wooden-racket era, the code of amateurism was so strictly enforced that the world’s most prestigious tennis tournaments awarded no prize money.

“I remember that even after I’d already won the nationals I was still working as a waitress,” Mrs. Addie told the Washington City Paper in 2005. “That’s just the way things were.”

Cast adrift from the leading showcases of her sport, Mrs. Addie embarked on a peripatetic professional career, touring the country from 1947 to 1951 with men’s stars Kramer, Bobby Riggs and Pancho Segura. She was most often matched with “Gorgeous” Gussie Moran, who had scandalized the tennis world in the late 1940s when her tennis skirt rose up to reveal lace-trimmed underwear.

Mrs. Addie defeated Moran so often in their exhibition matches that she was told to take it easy. “I wasn’t about to let them cancel the tour,” she said in 2005. “So let’s just say Gussie Moran got better all of a sudden, and the tour continued. I studied economics in college.”

Pauline May Betz was born Aug. 6, 1919, in Dayton, Ohio, and grew up in Los Angeles. Her mother, a physical education teacher, introduced her to tennis at age 9. She won tournaments throughout California in her teens and won a scholarship to Rollins College in Winter Park, Fla., from which she graduated in 1943.

Mrs. Addie won the U.S. Open title from 1942 through 1944 and again in 1946. In addition to her Wimbledon championship, she won the mixed doubles competition at the 1946 French Open.

She was followed by gossip columnists, who chronicled her friendships with actors Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy, boxer Jack Dempsey and heiress Barbara Hutton.

In 1949, she married Bob Addie, a sportswriter for the old Washington Times-Herald and later The Washington Post. She became the teaching pro at the Edgemoor tennis club in Bethesda and continued to compete as a professional.

She won seven women’s professional championships before losing in a grueling 2 ½ -hour match to Althea Gibson in 1960. Mrs. Addie was a 40- year-old mother of five at the time, and Gibson — the first African American tennis star – was just two years removed from winning Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. [Note: This was the U.S. Professional Championships at Cleveland Arena in Cleveland. Gibson won 7-5, 2-6, 7-5 after trailing 4-2 in the third set.]

“I beat her after that in a tournament in Hampton, Va.,” Mrs. Addie told The Post in 1965. “So I figure we came out even.” [This was an exhibition. Betz Addie won 6-2, 6-3.]

Mrs. Addie, who played tennis into her 80s, ran a tennis camp at the Sidwell Friends School in the District and taught for 20 years in Bethesda at what is now the Pauline Betz Addie Tennis Center. She was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1965.

Mrs. Addie’s husband died in 1982. Survivors include their children, Rusty Addie of Bethesda, John Addie of Avon Park, Fla., Kim Addonizio of Oakland, Calif., Gary Addie of Washington and Rick Addie of Aldie, Va.; a brother; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Mrs. Addie’s sense of competitiveness extended to other sports, including golf, basketball and table tennis. Later in life, she became a tournament bridge player at the life master level.

She played the piano and flute and once took a course in car mechanics to learn how to take apart an engine.

Soon after she met her future husband, her son Gary recalled, she lost $50 to him in a poker game. She wrote a check for the full amount but signed her name “Pauline Betz Addie.”

“If you want to collect,” she said as she handed over the check, “you’ll have to marry me.”

Last edited by austinrunner : Jun 11th, 2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #8

Per a published report in January 1961, Althea Gibson declined a professional tour with Pauline Betz Addie that would have taken place during the winter of 1960-61.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #9

Burial information:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=70733756

Above: Pauline after winning the 1943 U.S. Championships.

Above: Pauline with her children and grandchildren, plus Billie Jean King.

Cake featuring Pauline's Time Magazine cover from September 2, 1946.

Above: Pauline during the final of the 20th annual Pacific Southwest Tennis Tournament at the Los Angeles Tennis Club, September 29, 1946. She defeated Dorothy Bundy Cheney, 6-2, 6-2, before a capacity crowd.

Above: Pauline and Gussy Moran (left) in 1950.

Above: Pauline at Wimbledon in 1946.

Last edited by austinrunner : Jun 5th, 2011 at 04:46 AM.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Double Fault
Team WTAworld

Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all

I have only just learned about the passing of Pauline.

RIP Pauline, you were a great champion and lady.
Double Fault is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #11
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

I especially like the 1943 U.S. Championship photo, as Bobby personally autographed a copy of it "To Jeff, Best Wishes, Bobby". You know when you sometimes meet a person for the first time, and just know they're not only good and kind, but probably was a ton of fun when she was young- that was Bobby. She obviously had a few memories of when she dated Spencer Tracy, but had the dignity to not expound. Rollo and I were both intrigued to say the least!
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #12
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of

She also coached too. Darlene Hard.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #13
country flag elegos7

elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough

This is really a sad news.

I have read in her obituaries that in 1959 she beat legendary tennis player Althea Gibson in an exhibition match while she was five months pregnant with her last child.

Does any of you have any details about this match (score, exact date)? I know Gibson played an exhibition in February, perhaps it was the same one.
It would also be interesting to compare them to Bueno in 1959, who despite winning Wimbledon and the US title, had several defeats. I wonder how she would have fared against Betz Addie and Gibson in 1959 or 1960.
elegos7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #14

Refer to post #7 in this thread.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #15
country flag elegos7

elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrunner View Post
Refer to post #7 in this thread.
The quote comes from post #4, post #7 has no additional details about their encounter in 1959.
elegos7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote