2012 Kick Off Weekend - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 1st, 2011, 02:55 PM   #1
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
2012 Kick Off Weekend

The Kick Off weekend is also the entrance to the National Indoor Championship in Virginia. For 2012, the top two teams, Florida and Stanford, are not hosting.

click here

Last edited by 2nd_serve : Jun 12th, 2011 at 08:23 PM.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 1st, 2011, 02:58 PM   #2
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: 2011 DRAFT for the 2012 Kick Off Weekend / 2012 National Indoor Championship

The Draft will be held June 9.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 03:00 PM   #3
country flag 2nd_serve

Re: 2011 DRAFT for the 2012 Kick Off Weekend / 2012 National Indoor Championship

**TEAMS CALLED OUT BETWEEN 11:00 am – 11:45 am (ET)**
1. University of Southern California
2. University of Notre Dame
3. University of Tulsa
4. University of Arkansas
5. University of Texas at Austin
6. University of Oklahoma
7. Pepperdine
8. University of Washington
9. North Carolina State
10. University of Alabama
**TEAMS CALLED OUT BETWEEN 11:45 am – 12:30 pm (ET)**
11. SMU
12. University of San Diego
13. Yale University
14. University of South Carolina
15. Texas A&M
16. University of Maryland, College Park
17. University of Arizona
18. Virginia Commonwealth University
19. UNLV
20. Cal Poly
21. University of Mississippi
22. University of South Florida
**TEAMS CALLED OUT BETWEEN 12:30 pm – 1:15 pm (ET)**
23. Saint Mary’s College of California
24. University of Nebraska
25. College of William & Mary
26. Boston College
27. Kansas State
28. Sacramento State
29. Texas Tech
30. University of Utah
31. Princeton University
32. Brown University
33. Marshall University
34. Dartmouth College
35. Georgia State
36. Ohio State
**TEAMS CALLED OUT BETWEEN 1:15 pm – 2:00 pm (ET)**
37. UC Davis
38. Wake Forest
39. UC Santa Barbara
40. Winthrop University
41. Purdue University
42. University of Texas at Arlington
43. Fresno State
44. Santa Clara University
45. Univ. of Wyoming (Mountain Region Rep)

Alternate List
1. Florida International University (FIU)
2. Rice University
3. University of Illinois
4. Cal State Northridge
5. Boise State University
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 03:08 PM   #4
country flag 2nd_serve

Re: 2011 DRAFT for the 2012 Kick Off Weekend (June 9 / 2012 National Indoor Champion

The Hosts areL

Duke
UNC
UCLA
Baylor
Miami
Georgia
California
Michigan
Northwestern
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Florida State
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Arizona State

and
Virginia, is indoor host.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 03:13 PM   #5
country flag 2nd_serve

Re: 2011 DRAFT for the 2012 Kick Off Weekend (June 9 / 2012 National Indoor Champion

looks like an early season matchup between UCLA and USC, or would USC choose to play at Arizona State for a better chance to make it to Virginia?
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 03:29 PM   #6
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

if only one more top team withdrew, USC could've hosted?
thx for the info.

my tennis blog
my personal blog my youtube acct
my flickr acct my imgur acct picasa album acct

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:58 PM   #7
country flag 2nd_serve

I'm wondering what the implications for ranking next year that both Florida and Stanford will not play the National Indoor Championship. Of course there is a prestige loss to the Championshp, but if one assumes that Florida and Stanford would have played each other in the finals, do the other teams on average benefit because they can get further in the draw, or do they lose because their strength of schedule is lowered? Or other effects?
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 01:33 AM   #8
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

I assume that one of the reasons that Stanford and Florida are not playing is the considerable cost of flying across country. Additionally, I assume it will be a spring break trip. Curious to see who will host first and if Miami/Cal will benefit as well.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #9
country flag 2nd_serve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
I assume that one of the reasons that Stanford and Florida are not playing is the considerable cost of flying across country. Additionally, I assume it will be a spring break trip. Curious to see who will host first and if Miami/Cal will benefit as well.
I know that Stanford does not like to have the players miss so many classes at that time of the year, with being on the quarter system and all. While all schools cares about the costs, I don't know that the reason the top two schools didn't participate is costs. The date of the indoors is Feb. 10-13 ITA National Team Indoor Championship hosted by the at the Boar's Head Sports Club (hosted by the Univ. of Virginia).
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #10
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

7 schools had withdrawn well in advance. Whether it is missing school or for smaller programs the extra travel expense... there is a growing group not playing.

Today, 5 more withdrew before the draft started. So teams in the 70's are now eligible.

And now Pepperdine has passed ... my guess is they saw the # 2 spot at both UCLA, Cal and ASU were already gone and did not want the added cost of traveling east.

In theory this is a nice idea but not everybody has the budget to add one more big trip. And for places with only outdoor courts (all the west coast teams), the requirement you stay and play on Monday if it rains is not realistic.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #11
country flag form

And as happens every single year.... nobody wants to go to Waco....

Michigan and Vandy are already full but nobody has selected to go to Baylor.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #12
country flag 2nd_serve

Despite costs, USC choose to travel to Arizona instead of play UCLA
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #13
country flag 2nd_serve

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post

Now California and Michigan too.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #14
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post

I don't blame most of the teams for passing on Waco. 3 reasons:

1. The obvious, Baylor is very good and it's not the easiest path to Virginia
2. The weather - a typical high temp in that area at that time of year is near 70 F and it is not unusual to have highs in the 80s. Baylor does not have an indoor facility and most teams across the country have not played outdoors in 80 degrees since September/October. Also I imagine that southern teams without much playing time logged on indoor courts want to prepare for the team indoors by actually playing indoors.
3. Flying directly to Waco is very expensive so it's either pay out the nose to fly to Waco or fly to Dallas and drive 2+ hours.
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #15
country flag form

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
Despite costs, USC choose to travel to Arizona instead of play UCLA
Theorectically ASU would be the easier root to VA that Westwood.

Plus, USC has NO budget issues. They spend over $150K per year on women's tennis according to Dept of Ed figures.