Steffi Graf - The Wimbledon of Tennis - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 28th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #1
country flag Steffi-fan

Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light
Steffi Graf - The Wimbledon of Tennis

A thread for our Steffi ,who won 7 Wimbledon championships at age 27 and so i titled her "The Wimbledon of Tennis".

Share your views,memories and discussion of Stefanie at Wimbledon.

Last edited by Steffi-fan : May 30th, 2011 at 05:48 AM.
Steffi-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #2
country flag Steffi-fan

Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light Steffi-fan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Steffi Graf - The Wimbledon of Tennis

Steffi played her first ever Wimbledon match on 24th June,1984.
Where she defeated American player, Mascarin in 3 set marathon match 6-4,5-7,10-8
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #3
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation

We already have at least 4 threads devoted to her:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=21726
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=8353
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=399386
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=420141

Refer to the Thread Finder on the first page.
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We already have at least 4 threads devoted to her:
Refer to the Thread Finder on the first page.
thanks Austinrunner.

Hi Steffi-fan

If it's a general Steffi thread Austinrunner has given you some good links and I can close this thread.

But a thread specifically about Steffi at Wimbledon would be great. Please carry on if that's what you want.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #5
country flag Steffi-fan

Respected Rollo,
Austinrunner had given great links,but it's not a general thread and specifically about Steffi at Wimbledon.

As you say it would be great and hope you won't close it and keep on the way.
Reply,
Old May 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #6
country flag Steffi-fan

1984 Wimbledon Article
Kicker-Sportmagazin
July 1984
"Little Magician"
The British admire Steffi Graf at Wimbledon

Wimbledon's Centre Court was completely full when Claudia Kohde stepped onto the famous turf for her round of 16 match against three-time champion Chris Evert.

Many wanted to be witness to the surprise that not a few experts had quite believed to be possible of the 20-year-old from Saarbrücken. But as so often happens in such situations, the nerves can't keep pace with the ambitious expectations that the current best German tennis player also had felt was a quite realistic assessment of her chances. Claudia Kohde was quite obviously not up to the pressure, which mounted and weighed heavily on her --hesitating and afraid where determination and willingness to take risks would have been in place-- stumbled into the traps which get her again and again.

After 73 minutes, already it had collapsed, the bold dream of advancing to the round of the last eight and equaling Bettina Bunge, who had even reached the semifinals two years ago.

Steffi Graf also lost in the same round. But in contrast to Claudia Kohde, the hopeful talent from Brühl near Mannheim went out with flags flying high. After the sad loss against England's last hope, Jo Durie, she at first couldn't hold back her tears. In her disappointment over the missed chance to march into the quarterfinals as the youngest player ever in the now-100-year history of the women's tournament, she even had almost forgotten the obligatory curtsy toward the Royal Box, from which the Duke and Duchess of Kent had watched her match with complete admiration. The winner, eight years her elder and better acquainted with the customs in the Mecca of the white-clothed sport, kindly drew her attention to the omission.

The duel on the grass was often enough the other way around [from the outcome]. For the small, almost fragile-looking little doll repeatedly showed the 10th seeded favorite how world class tennis is played. At the end, Jo Durie could be overjoyed at having still pulled the win out of the fire after being down 1-3 in the third set. "It was nerve wracking," she admitted afterward. "Steffi was quite calm, while I became inwardly more flustered and impatient. She may just be 15-years-old, but she has a much older head on her young shoulders!" The relief of still "having survived" this one time more was unmistakable.

Even in the next encounter, it could be she who tastes defeat, since the experts at Wimbledon were in agreement that Steffi Graf still has a lot to offer the tennis world. Of that, the bright/quick tennis flea herself is obviously firmly convinced, as well. "I want to be champion here one day," said Steffi Graf, very pertly, and made no secret of it that she wants to achieve this goal in two or three years. Her tears, of which she was no way ashamed, were long since dried and her eyes looked straight ahead.

The headlines of the sports pages of London's daily press a day later belonged to Jo Durie, of course, but absolute admiration was aimed at the "little magician" from Germany -- as she was called in one of the headlines. During her first appearance on the venerable Centre Court, she didn't show a trace of nervousness, and even set to work courageously. "Her game looks at least five years older than she actually is," so it went in one of the street papers. And an especially vivid description read thus: "This little tiger on gazelle's feet brightly illuminated a grand theater!"

Last edited by Steffi-fan : May 28th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old May 28th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #7
country flag Steffi-fan

A beautiful winning smile from 1996.

Last edited by Rollo : May 29th, 2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old May 29th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Topic=Graf's Wimbledon years.
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #9
country flag Steffi-fan

Thanks Rollo.Now i can carry on the way of track.
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #10
country flag Steffi-fan

What are your favourite Steffi Graf matches at Wimbledon?
Old May 30th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #11
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffi-fan View Post
I'd have to go with 88 and 89 finals with Navratilova- all court tennis at its best. Of course, the 1992 final is right up there, if not for quality of dominating play, but the fact that only a few weeks earlier, were it not for Steffi going down the line instead of crosscourt with that final forehand. The loss was heartbreaking, and only Graf could regroup so quickly and play such destroying tennis at Wimbledon, and in a much-interrupted match that took all day with the rain delays, she maintained her devastating form. I can't think of another player who could have achieved such a feat.
Old May 31st, 2011, 04:39 AM   #12
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
I'd have to go with 88 and 89 finals with Navratilova- all court tennis at its best. Of course, the 1992 final is right up there, if not for quality of dominating play, but the fact that only a few weeks earlier, were it not for Steffi going down the line instead of crosscourt with that final forehand. The loss was heartbreaking, and only Graf could regroup so quickly and play such destroying tennis at Wimbledon, and in a much-interrupted match that took all day with the rain delays, she maintained her devastating form. I can't think of another player who could have achieved such a feat.
Very nice post. I like to remember some other fans that Steffi didn't comment on grunting at 1992 Wimbledon or at anywhere,but media sounds like she's one of them with Navratilova who against grunting.

I born in 1987, First time i saw her on TV at 1993 Wimbledon Final(off course i didn't have a favorite until 1998). After some reviews,watching matches and highlights,i did this list as my favorite.

1) 1988 Wimbledon Final ( I love whole the match as 92 final)
2) 1992 Wimbledon Final
3) 1993 Wimbledon Final
4) 1995 Wimbledon Final
5) 1999 Wimbledon Quarter Final ( when I'm an active fan)
6) 1991 Wimbledon Final
7) 1989 Wimbledon Quarter Final ( Arantxa played with lot of confidence ,but Steffi didn't spared then and beat with her magical game on grass)
8) 1989 Wimbledon Final
9) (Don't rush ,will added after a deep review)
10) (Don't rush ,will added after a deep review)
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:39 PM   #13
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
I loved her win over Venus in 1999.

The 1995 final has to be tops.

And I know it's a Graf thread, but I also enjoyed Lori Mcneil's upset win in 1994 too. Lori was tough that day.

The 1987 and 1988 finals have always stayed with me as good examples of how a player develops. In 1987 Steffi was tough but just fell short because Martina could exploit that slice backhand. In 1988 Graf added a dipping topspin backhand to counter the net rushing.
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:15 PM   #14
country flag justineheninfan

justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute

Destroying Seles in 92 was impressive and a pleasure to witness. It soundly destroyed any silly myth some had Seles was unbeatable.

I also enjoyed the 88 final where she dethroned the all time queen of grass as the new best grass courter in the World.

The 1995 semifinal and final were excellent.

The 1999 quarterfinal was only great in that it was a testement to Grafs will and hunger to prove she could still hang with and beat the young ones, even though tennis wise she was a sad shadow of her old self by then.
justineheninfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:24 PM   #15
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineheninfan View Post
Destroying Seles in 92 was impressive and a pleasure to witness. It soundly destroyed any silly myth some had Seles was unbeatable.

I also enjoyed the 88 final where she dethroned the all time queen of grass as the new best grass courter in the World.

The 1995 semifinal and final were excellent.

The 1999 quarterfinal was only great in that it was a testement to Grafs will and hunger to prove she could still hang with and beat the young ones, even though tennis wise she was a sad shadow of her old self by then.
I'm glad I never saw the loss to Amy Frazier at the San Diego tournament. I'm sure she was happy, but I was so looking forward to seeing her again at the U.S.Open. You know, I used to record matches all the time, and I don't think I recorded another match after she retired. I didn't even watch much tennis until Justine came along. I just knew Steffi would admire her game and commitment to fitness and doing what it takes. By the way, and not to change the subject too much, but one of my favorite matches is the 1991 U.S. Women's Hardcourt title from San Antonio. Graf started out slow, but then systematically dismantled then #1 Seles, who was playing well but still could do nothing to stop Graf.