Iva Mekovec cheering thread - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 9th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #61
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iva Mekovec cheering thread

Congrats! Great to see she closed it out in straights, it's always good when you preserve some energy for the future round(s).

Next up, as was expected, is the 2nd seed Poznikhirenko, who is just a year older than Iva, but already at #13 in juniors. But although this girl is much better than Iva in juniors, Iva actually has a much better senior stats so far. Poznikhirenko played just two pro tournaments, got to QR3 of a 10k, and lost in R1 of a 25k which she entered with a WC. Her only wins came against two unranked players, and her losses came to girls outside of top300. She's also unranked, unlike Iva. So who knows, Iva might even win this if everything goes well. But even if she doesn't make it, this should push her to around #112 (btw, she also played doubles here and won a round).

Ajmo Iva
ma re is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 9th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #62
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Did no one see the big news today:

Iva MEKOVEC (CRO) defeated Ganna POZNIKHIRENKO (UKR) (2) 3-6 7-6(4) 6-4

This is an amazing win for Iva: Poznikhirenko is #13 in the world and a year older. This should push Iva into the top 100, at around 95.

In the QF, Iva plays Hao Chen TANG (#54 but CH #12, last September). Good luck, Iva! Regardless of what happens, this has already been a hugely successful tournament.
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #63
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

That's indeed wonderful!

Unfortunately for Iva (kind of), her great week coincides with great weeks of several other Croatian players so it's hard to keep an eye on all the tournaments and all the results. More precisely, today 5 of our players (that I know of) will play quarterfinals on different levels of competition - Iva in this junior G1, Mijacika on the ITF circuit, Lucic and Martic on the WTA, and Cilic on ATP

But anyway, great to see that Iva turned this match around after losing the first set, tennis after all, has a lot to do with taking your chances and being gutsy enough to turn things to your advantage. So congratulations for reaching top100 Iva!

Although next opponent seems beatable, we have to remember that Iva played a lot lately, and after that three set battle yesterday, who knows if there's enough left in her for something more today. But of course, this is already one of her best results ever (probably 2nd only to Bonfiglio semis), so anything beyond this is just a huge plus.

Best of luck Iva
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #64
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute

Hele. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #65
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

6-2 6-4 win
now faces Jaksic (4) in the semis
Jaksic turns 18 in September and is ranked #22 (CH # 21)
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #66
country flag ma re

Wow! I really didn't think she'll make it - glad she proved me wrong This'll get her right around #90!

This next girl, Jaksic, came onto the pro circuit some 2 years ago, but is still playing only 10k's. Still, she made some notable results on those (even a QF once), and this year, she managed to take a set against Mijacika, so she can surely play. Her current and best ever rankings are not too impressive for her age, but experience will definately be on her side.

What else to say - fingers crossed and let's see if Iva can make it to a G1 final!
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #67
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Wow, Ivana continues to impress. To think she was ranked in the mid-400s just a month ago

Btw, the other players left in the Offenbach semis are the #1, #3 and #4 seeds. Talk about crashing the party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Wow! I really didn't think she'll make it - glad she proved me wrong This'll get her right around #90!
If I'm not mistaken it'll be better than that; I think she'll be 80-85 (to her current total add 65 points from singles and 5 [20/4] from doubles). Either way, welcome to the top 100, Iva!
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #68
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by networthy View Post
If I'm not mistaken it'll be better than that; I think she'll be 80-85 (to her current total add 65 points from singles and 5 [20/4] from doubles). Either way, welcome to the top 100, Iva!
You're right, at first I calculated correctly (singles and doubles), but when I went to see where those points will take her on the list, I somehow forgot about the doubles points... It should be inside top 85. Btw, if she wins today, this would (if I'm not mistaken) be her first final of any kind on the junior circuit (she made it to a few semis, but never further as far as I know).
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #69
country flag networthy

Offenbach SF: Jovana JAKSIC (SRB) (4) defeated Iva MEKOVEC (CRO) 6-1 7-6(5)

Still, a totally, absolutely amazing tournament for Iva

Much congratulations and good luck next week! (She's playing again in Germany.)
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #70
country flag ma re

No shame in losing after such a great run. Congratulations for your achievements Iva!
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #71
country flag networthy

Iva is playing qualies for next week's G1 in Germany and is the top seed. In QR1 she plays an unranked local. In FQR (there are just two Q rounds) she'll likely play the #7 seed, Wind, #451. Given her recent form, Iva should be able to qualify easily, provided she's not too tired.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #72
ajmo!

ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future

Another great week.
GL in Q!
ajmo! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #73
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

they need to start giving her WCs
and she'll miss another GS because of how early they do the entry lists
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #74
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by networthy View Post
Iva is playing qualies for next week's G1 in Germany
Actually I think that one's G2, but still, hope she keeps on winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat123 View Post
they need to start giving her WCs
and she'll miss another GS because of how early they do the entry lists
Yes, she'll miss Wimbledon, but it's clear now that only some terrible misfortune (like an injury) could keep her from playing USO - most probably main draw (entry list will probably be based on rankings about a month from now).
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #75
country flag ma re

Iva qualified for GWJO by double bageling some unranked girl, but also by playing 3 sets in the next round against some kid who is 2 years younger and ranked at #797 This was certainly not something she wanted to experience in qualies, I'm sure.

She's also not particularly lucky with the draw, in R1 she'll face the 5th seed Fabikova who is now, at #56, just 3 spots away from her best ever ranking.

Also, because of her recent successful appearances on the junior circuit, it's getting harder for Iva to add more points, and this week she needs at least the quarterfinals (in singles) to gain anything. But the good news is that as of today, Iva is on a new career-high ranking of 79. Congratulations!