Poetry & Literature Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 15th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #1
country flag chmath

chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold
Poetry & Literature Thread

Salutations dear friends,

In anticipation of the release of a certain someone's 'autobiography' and given that our beloved Ms. Pennetta's fans appear to be well rehearsed in the arts of expression and prose, I thought it perhaps a good idea to start a unique little corner for poetry and literature content, hence helping to 'unclog' the very useful and successful 'Offtopic' Thread.

And as a first contribution, I would like to dedicate a couple of verses from Maya Angelou's now legendary poem "Phenomenal Woman" to the two life time honorary members of this thread: Our beloved administrator Linda and the unique and mysteriously exotic Karla.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.

I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
chmath is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 15th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #2
country flag Zamboni
Vamorza!

Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Poetry & Literature Thread

Wow that is a great poem, I love it
And it does describe the "inner mystery" of a woman very well.

My favourite poet is a Dutch woman (she also wrote Jip and Janneke, lots of others things too, you may know her from this), so unfortunately it won't be much use for me to post these, but most of her poems were written in the 1950s and had a special kind of society-criticism about them. Very ironic and witty, and very recognisable.

The only poem in English that I know by heart is very short, and it's written by singer/songwriter Jewel (she's one of my fave singers). To me, it's about insecurity.
There's a pretty girl
On the face
Of the magazine
And all I see
Is my dirty hands
Turning the page
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #3
country flag chmath

chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post
Wow that is a great poem, I love it
And it does describe the "inner mystery" of a woman very well.

My favourite poet is a Dutch woman (she also wrote Jip and Janneke, lots of others things too, you may know her from this), so unfortunately it won't be much use for me to post these, but most of her poems were written in the 1950s and had a special kind of society-criticism about them. Very ironic and witty, and very recognisable.

The only poem in English that I know by heart is very short, and it's written by singer/songwriter Jewel (she's one of my fave singers). To me, it's about insecurity.
There's a pretty girl
On the face
Of the magazine
And all I see
Is my dirty hands
Turning the page
You are indeed a class act Linda As far as Jewel is concerned, I don't think any human being with half a heart and brain under the age of 40 can call her anything less than pure genius. Along with Alanis Morissette and Leeanne Rimes, they represent the very best of female expression in the late nineties and the 00s. Meaningful, soulful and - even though I can't relate to some of the more subtle female 'issues' they express, they definitely have a lot to say. Leeanne Rimes rendition of Amazing Grace, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT88jBAoVIM), even for those of us who may or may not be religious, is epic, to say the least...
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #4
country flag Zamboni
Vamorza!

Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmath View Post
You are indeed a class act Linda As far as Jewel is concerned, I don't think any human being with half a heart and brain under the age of 40 can call her anything less than pure genius. Along with Alanis Morissette and Leeanne Rimes, they represent the very best of female expression in the late nineties and the 00s. Meaningful, soulful and - even though I can't relate to some of the more subtle female 'issues' they express, they definitely have a lot to say. Leeanne Rimes rendition of Amazing Grace, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT88jBAoVIM), even for those of us who may or may not be religious, is epic, to say the least...
I have never been too keen on Alanis Morissette, except for a couple of songs (I absolutely love You oughta know, which is just perfect to scream along with and jump around the room on...)
LeAnn Rimes has only had a few hits here, I haven't heard too much from her, but it's definitely my style of music. And that version of Amazing Grace is indeed amazing
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #5
country flag chmath

Quote:
I have never been too keen on Alanis Morissette, except for a couple of songs (I absolutely love You oughta know, which is just perfect to scream along with and jump around the room on...)
LeAnn Rimes has only had a few hits here, I haven't heard too much from her, but it's definitely my style of music. And that version of Amazing Grace is indeed amazing
I'm actually on the phone to Lisa right now, I didn't know she was in New York, think I might have woken her up yesterday when I called! OOPS Ilse is playing in the background, and I'm just telling her what a wonderful human being you are! She definitely doesn't want to talk business, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. You'd get on like a house on fire, she's a TOTAL sweetheart, always rings up to see how I am and her passion for work, the arts and people is, simply put, amazing...
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #6
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

that thread's gonna be the start of a great movement in poetry's history

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #7
country flag chmath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Hero View Post
that thread's gonna be the start of a great movement in poetry's history
If only... Anyway, I proclaim you Lyric Master Extraordinaire and ofc, honourary member! The lyrics to your hit singles will forever remain in the brain...
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #8
country flag Zamboni
Vamorza!

Good way to revive this thread.....I'm reading The sweetness at the bottom of the pie right now.

It's about a little girl (11 years) who's solving a murder. It's not really that good (maybe it's the Dutch translation, or maybe it's just not my kind of book, cause the friend who recommended it loved it) but the funny thing is that the girl is called Flavia
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #9
country flag chmath

Quote:
Good way to revive this thread.....I'm reading The sweetness at the bottom of the pie right now.

It's about a little girl (11 years) who's solving a murder. It's not really that good (maybe it's the Dutch translation, or maybe it's just not my kind of book, cause the friend who recommended it loved it) but the funny thing is that the girl is called Flavia
Besides the fact that 'Flavia' is wayyyy too much for an 11 year old, she's just too smart and fearless, otherwise it's a superb book in my opinion. I don't know about the Dutch translation, but I found the book to be brilliant. And Alan Bradley has said he will create sequels (featuring 'Flavia' ofc!), so stick with it
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #10
country flag Zamboni
Vamorza!

Quote:
Besides the fact that 'Flavia' is wayyyy too much for an 11 year old, she's just too smart and fearless, otherwise it's a superb book in my opinion. I don't know about the Dutch translation, but I found the book to be brilliant. And Alan Bradley has said he will create sequels (featuring 'Flavia' ofc!), so stick with it
Yeah there should be 6 or 7 books apparently.

I'm just not sold on it. But yeah, might be the translation. Don't like the style much
And yeah she is way too much for an 11 year old. Also, she's very smart but a bit slow. I think I already know who the murderer is, and she doesn't have a clue
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #11
country flag chmath

Quote:
Yeah there should be 6 or 7 books apparently.

I'm just not sold on it. But yeah, might be the translation. Don't like the style much
And yeah she is way too much for an 11 year old. Also, she's very smart but a bit slow. I think I already know who the murderer is, and she doesn't have a clue
My lips are sealed! I don't know how far along you are, and yes, the whole 'me, my bitchy sisters, servants in the middle of England' thing can be a bit copious, but you might just appreciate the ending...
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #12
country flag Zamboni
Vamorza!

Quote:
My lips are sealed! I don't know how far along you are, and yes, the whole 'me, my bitchy sisters, servants in the middle of England' thing can be a bit copious, but you might just appreciate the ending...
The old man just burned the stamp So I'm pretty far through.

I think it's just really tough to write a book from a child's perspective. I read The boy in the striped pyjamas a few weeks back, and that did the perspective quite well, only the kid was unrealistically stupid (and annoying). So it's hard to do it right
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #13
country flag chmath

Oh, I never read the book, saw the film though! It had me all misty eyed...And yes, you're probably right, it is tough...
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #14
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

i wrote this few monthes ago...it was born when my idea of leaving italy became more than a dream...

Quote:
Madre!
Appena staccato dal tuo seno
È la mia bocca,
non più un bambino,
ancora non un uomo.

Guardano altrove i miei occhi,
vedono sogni lontano,
cercano la speranza qui perduta.

Poi d’improvviso incrociano
Il tuo sguardo. Severo.
Agli occhi tuoi e dei miei fratelli
Il mio è il volto di un traditore.

Arida terra magnifica
Quella su cui sorge la mia casa,
che lenta svanisce all’orizzonte.

E più mi allontano dalle
Miei strade e i miei campi,
più forte è la nostalgia per quel
paese che non conosce futuro.
Mother!
Just now from your bosom
has moved my mouth.
no more a kid,
not yet a man.

Away, that's where my eyes are going,
they see dreams far there,
looking for the hope, here has gone.

suddenly they meet
your glance. Harsh.
to your eyes and my brother's
mine is the face of the betrayer.

arid magnificent land
where my house is built,
it's fading away to the horizon.

and the further i am from
my streets and my fields,
the stronger the nostalgia for
a land who knows no future.

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #15
country flag chmath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Hero View Post
i wrote this few monthes ago...it was born when my idea of leaving italy became more than a dream...

Mother!
Just now from your bosom
has moved my mouth.
no more a kid,
not yet a man.

Away, that's where my eyes are going,
they see dreams far there,
looking for the hope, here has gone.

suddenly they meet
your glance. Harsh.
to your eyes and my brother's
mine is the face of the betrayer.

arid magnificent land
where my house is built,
it's fading away to the horizon.

and the further i am from
my streets and my fields,
the stronger the nostalgia for
a land who knows no future.
Gaspa, absolutely MAGNIFICENT. The last two lines, I don't know if it's a translation thing, 'the stronger the nostalgia for a land that knows no future'? Do you mean, where the future is unknown, or that you are heading into the unknown, or what exactly? Poetically, it is very strong, but actually longing to be somewhere where there is no future is usually reserved as a poetic way to say you are surrendering to death or illness, which I'm sure is not what you are trying to say...