I need ALL of you to help me!! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 30th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #1
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute
I need ALL of you to help me!!

Hey guys,

I am studying town planning and urban design at uni and have a great personal (not monetary just personal) interest in the Barangaroo development in Sydney, Australia.

Unfortunately, a massive scare campaign has been run by a vocal minority with $$ as well as the biased Sydney Morning Herald who only publish negative articles on the proposal. Despite running two previous polls on the Barangaroo development, the SMH is at it again today but they have put up a rather unpleasant photo of a former planning minister rather than an artist's impression of the development, not giving people the opportunity to see the renders before they vote.

It is a $A6 billion transformation of Sydney's western waterfront from a concrete slab for industrial purposes into three specific precincts;
- Headland Park which will be about 5.8 hectares in size and feature walking and cycling paths, rock pools, open space and a cultural centre
- Barangaroo Central which will feature a parkland, low to medium density apartments and potentially a theatre, university campus and bars, cafes and restaurants
- Barangaroo South which will be Australia's new financial district featuring 7 skyscrapers (over 100m in height) as well as a number of shorter buildings. Retail, residential, civic, community, cultural and recreational space will also feature prominently at Barangaroo South. Finally, the Barangaroo South proposal includes a 170m tall hotel built out above the harbour.

To view plans for Barangaroo you can check out either of the following websites;
http://www.barangaroo.com/
http://www.barangaroosouth.com.au/

And to vote on the SMH poll - either 'excellent' or 'acceptable' would be great - here's the link;
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/barangaroo...ceuq.html#poll

You can also follow my yes4Barangaroo twitter account, which is one of the main 'defences' against those that want to stop the project. A positive result for them will be used against my campaign.
http://twitter.com/#!/yes4Barangaroo

Thanks!!
Advertisement

Old Mar 30th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #2
country flag Keadz

Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I need ALL of you to help me!!

God we share very similar interests!

I have been checking this development out, will be a shame to see the area under developed due to a scare campaign, unfortunately this is pretty common occurrence throughout all of australia.

I'll happily help out here.

DATE-KRUMM ERAKOVIC KUZNETSOVA BARTY SANDERS

ROGOWSKA ZAKOPALOVA PIRONKOVA JANKOVIC DELLACQUA
Keadz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3
country flag hdfb

hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it an unpopular idea?
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #4
country flag Keadz

Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute

Good question...

I honestly have no idea how these people think.

Old Mar 30th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #5
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZTENNIS View Post
And to vote on the SMH poll - either 'excellent' or 'acceptable' would be great - here's the link;
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/barangaroo-hotel-a-mistake-sartor-20110329-1ceuq.html#poll
Done Looks like the poll closes in 30 minutes?
Super Dave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #6
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh! I got to the end of the first line. I would like to help but his is too much information to read.

Can someone summarise it for me?
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #7
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

Uh sorry guys had a crazy busy last few weeks hence lack of activity on my part.

Thanks to everybody who voted

It's unpopular due to a number of 'official reasons' but mostly I think their real issues are quite different.

1/Too tall, too big, too overdeveloped.

Those that oppose the plans believe that the proposal is all of the above, despite it being in the CBD (of a global city no less). Plenty of the opponents what it to be turned completely into parkland, too ignorant to realise that developers will not build something for which they get no return. Still half of the site will become parkland, so that is a good outcome, but apparently not good enough for many. These people also fail to recognise studies and reports that show Sydney needs 600,000 sq m+ of office space in the next 10 years to cater for demand. Barangaroo accounts for 47%, if not built where should it all go?

2/The privatisation of the harbour

Those that oppose the hotel in the harbour froth at the mouth and call it the privatisation of the harbour. They don't know or care for the fact that the hotel's base will have a public promenade that surrounds it, or a public use (such as a library) in the podium levels. They also ask questions like 'do we need more hotels?' I mean seriously, do they just expect everything in Sydney to remain exactly the same for fear of change? Of course more hotels are needed as tourist numbers are expected to increase and hotels are running near or at full capacity in peak times. But my pet peeve with this problem is that it's hypocritical. There are people who live in converted apartments on former maritime wharves at Woolloomooloo, Walsh Bay, Pyrmont and other harbourside locations, there's even a few hotels. These hotels and apartments extend further into the harbour (some by up to 200m) than the 85m pier hotel proposed for Barangaroo.

3/Public transport

The opponents are up in arms about public transport stating that 50,000 will work in the first office building (false, only 30,000 workers will be in the entire precinct, not 50,000 in one building) and Sydney's existing public transport network cannot support further workers. The government will (not that the opponents acknowledge) build a ferry terminal (a second Circular Quay) as well as a light rail link and reroute buses. Also Wynyard station is subject to a $425 million redevelopment with a retail and commercial skyscraper above it, this will expand the station's capacity and easily cater for demand at Barangaroo. The opponents just like to produce random numbers and opinions on the issue to cloud the real findings.

I'm kind of getting sick of writing now so I'll just list the rest;

4/Contamination
5/Shadowing (including small parts of the harbour 'how will animals breed')

But overall, their main concerns are (not that they all admit it) with the potential impacts on their views of Sydney Harbour and the subsequent impacts on their property prices. Talk about self serving!! It's really annoying!!

Keadz, if you are interested, there's a website called SkyscraperCity (www.skyscrapercity.com) that follows urban projects all over the world, inc Aus. I am a regular poster in the Ozscrapers section under the username Sky_Is_The_Limit.

Thanks again to those who voted
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #8
country flag Keadz

Already a member just don't post much. (certainly don't have the information and credentials that other members have, so will an generally little help in terms of information). Most posts usually involve, "wow that looks good", "or that's a shocker" etc etc

mattie! Is the username. Studying environments at melbourne and looking to major in urban planning

Old Apr 18th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #9
country flag OZTENNIS

Well there you go

Something about a small world...

Yes some people are crazy in the know and it is very exciting to have some inside info so to speak.

I'm in Brisbane but I'm much more interested in Sydney and its development, hoping to move down there in a few years.

I'm in my last year of Town Planning degree in Brisbane hahahaha
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #10
country flag Dani12

Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute

You're moving to Sydney? You seem like such a loyal Queenslander!
Dani12 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #11
country flag OZTENNIS

hahahaha!

I love QLD and will always support QLD but Sydney seriously is a much more interesting and exciting place to be

So much happening down there (and in Melbourne) that I'm very interested in following and ultimately being a part of
Old May 14th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #12
country flag OZTENNIS

Bump!

Another call to arms guys!!

This time I need you to answer 'yes' to the question provided in the SMH at the link below;

http://www.smh.com.au/polls/nsw/bara...ekrm.html#poll

Thanks guys!!

PS, only 1.5 hrs left to vote!!