Petkovic - best German since Steffi Graf? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What can Petkovic achieve in her career?

Top 20 24 19.51%
Top 15 29 23.58%
Top 10 61 49.59%
Top 5 17 13.82%
# 1 8 6.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 29th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #1
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future
Question Petkovic - best German since Steffi Graf?

I know it's hard for all the German girls but whenever there is a little hope the girls have to be compared to Steffi Graf.

That's not fair. I know.

And in case of Petkovic the German media doesn't write that stuff. Maybe because she's quite old for her breakthrough year and it's obvious she won't be a next Steffi.
Maybe Steffi-ara is too long ago by now or maybe they learned something within the last decade

Anyway:

Petkovic is the first German to beat a No.1 in a full match since Steffi Graf beat Martina Hingis in the 1999 French Open final. She is also the first German to reach the quarterfinals in Miami/Key Biscayne since Anke Huber did it 10 years ago in 2001.

Since the "Graf/Huber/Becker/Stich-ara" fast rising Anna-Lena Groenefeld and Sabine Lisicki were the best German players. In both cases they seemed to be on the verge of Top Ten but then they strugled and disappeared (which is in the case of Groenefeld a nice way to describe it).

Now Petkovic is by far the most successful German player on tour! Will she break into the Top Ten?

What can she achieve? What do you think about her?

Last edited by Navratil : Mar 31st, 2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: update
Navratil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 29th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #2
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future
Re: Petkovic - best German since Steffi Graf?

In my opinion she seems to be a very nice person, quite intelligent (for a tennis player) and intersting.

I like the way she plays although her technique looks a little awkward to me. Not round. Not fluent. Her forehand yet is her best shot.

What I like is that she's brave, going the risk. In the Wozniacki match she got a little shaky by the end of the first set, overpowered some forehands.
But she seems to be very strong mentally. Served an ace to get the first set and an ace on matchpoint in the third. That's so impressive!

Fantastic season for her. Honestly: I never though she would get that far. Lisicki seemed to have the weigh bigger potential. Groenefeld too (last lifetime).
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #3
country flag *Jool*

*Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute

she could have a Huber-like career , maybe.
I voted Top 10
*Jool* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #4
country flag Smitten

Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute

Does Anke Huber from Grand Slam Finalist and Top 10 player not exist?
Smitten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #5
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
this. i'm astonished that a german poster should forget about anke.

Beat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #6
country flag Mixal

Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future

I think the poster meant if she is going to have the best career of all the Germans after Steffi.

Well, I don't know, at the moment she is the best of them, but Lisicki and Gorges are both younger, so they all have time to improve. She may achive something like Anke Huber...
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #7
country flag pan

pan has much to be proud of pan has much to be proud of pan has much to be proud of pan has much to be proud of pan has much to be proud of pan has much to be proud of pan has much to be proud of pan has much to be proud of pan has much to be proud of pan has much to be proud of pan has much to be proud of

Anke was a Grand Slam finalist, a Top 5 player and won 12 tournaments in her career. She was a consistent top 20 player for so many years! She retired at young age (26), could have achieved way more in my opinion. That's hard to beat.
Andrea is very talented and I love how she brings her smartness and her experience on the court. She improves from month to month, she quickly learns from mistakes she made in the past and she's one of the fittest girls on the tour. She has a great fighting spirit, she loves to compete and she gets mentally stronger from match to match. Her rise is just about to begin and with a little bit of luck and if she stays healthy she can make it to a top 10 player one day. Also in comparison to ALG and Sabine I'm sure she'll be Germany's best player in the post GrafHuber-era.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #8
country flag Navratil

Quote:
Huber was not after Steffi Graf ara but at the same time

She retired shortly after Graf.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #9
country flag jrm

jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute

still see Lisicki having more potencial
Current crushes: Johannes STRATE Tom BATEMAN Éric BRUNEAU
Simply the best: Ole Einar BJØRNDALEN and JANNE AHONEN
jrm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #10
country flag Anabelcroft

Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future

Quote:
World number 4,GS final(lost to number 1 seed),YEC final(lost to number 1 seed),Fed Cup winner(1992),Hopman Cup winner(1995,so many weeks spent in top 10...

12 titles,23 finals...in every final she lost,she lost to players who were,in their careers better ranked than her(Graf,Seles,Capriati,Davenport,Hingis,Mauresmo, Novotna,Tauziat) with the exception of her last final where she lost to Farina-Elia,who at the moment played her best tennis and was ranked highest in her career(11th in the world)...

Has won titles on every surface-hard,clay,grass,carpet...

At this stage,could not even compare to Petkovic...

Last edited by Anabelcroft : Mar 29th, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
Anabelcroft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #11
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabelcroft View Post
World number 4, GS final (lost to number 1 seed), YEC final (lost to number 1 seed), Fed Cup winner (1992), Hopman Cup winner (1995), so many weeks spent in top 10...

12 titles, 23 finals...

Has won titles on every surface-hard, clay, grass, carpet...

At this stage,could not even compare to Petkovic...
I love Petkorazzi. But right now, these hard facts tell the story, and it's The Anke Story. Maybe Petko can catch her, in time.
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #12
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

Lisicki is the better player at her max, but then she has serious mental issues. Petkovic -- well I thought top 30 will be the end for her, but she has improved yet again, and most importantly, she is becoming better mentally after every loss. That's something that seperates her from many German girls.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #13
country flag Anabelcroft

Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie janie View Post
I love Petkorazzi. But right now, these hard facts tell the story, and it's The Anke Story. Maybe Petko can catch her, in time.
Not just that,but:

In every final she lost,she lost to players who were,in their careers better ranked than her(Graf,Seles,Capriati,Davenport,Hingis,Mauresmo, Novotna,Tauziat) with the exception of her last final where she lost to Farina-Elia,who was highest ranked 11th in the world...

Plus Anke qualified 7 times for YEC!
Anabelcroft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #14
country flag mk27

mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabelcroft View Post
Plus Anke qualified 7 times for YEC!
Yes, but only because 16 players were qualified at this time for YEC.
mk27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #15
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

↑ and your point is?

*edit*
i was not referring to mk27, but to a post by sarac that was deleted.

Last edited by Beat : Mar 29th, 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Beat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote