Acc - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #91
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Duke tennis

Spartanburg’s Cecil hits return shot to Duke as a coach

By GREGORY HARDY - ghardy@thestate.com

Mallory Cecil has the accolades to prove she is a special tennis player.

As a Duke freshman in 2009, the Spartanburg native blazed her way to an NCAA singles championship, and The State hailed her as the South Carolina amateur athlete of the year.

On the strength of that year, she left the national champion Blue Devils to join the WTA Tour, earning a wild card to the U.S. Open.

Today, Duke women’s tennis is as solid as ever. The team finished 2011 as ACC champs and ranked No. 3 in the country. The incoming recruits are the nation’s top class, according to the Tennis Recruiting Network.

And who is providing instruction and motivation on the sideline?

Meet student assistant coach — and now former professional tennis player — Mallory Cecil.

“Maybe I am done with the professional side of things and the competitive side,” the 20-year-old sophomore said, “but it’s still very much fulfilling my tennis appetite.”

Duke coach Jamie Ashworth knows for all the talent and discipline Cecil displayed in rising to the heights of the college game, jumping into the professional ranks is a different vocation.

“When you turn pro, it’s a job. There’s people literally fighting for their dinner that night,” Ashworth said. “She definitely wants to be a part of tennis. She loves tennis, she loves being a part of our team, she loves Duke. But she’s on a different side of that now. And she’s flourished in that role. It’s not an easy role to be in, stuck in the middle of coaching or playing with her peers.”

By becoming a professional player, Cecil gave up her eligibility to play collegiately. She returned to the classroom, and by coaching, she can have Duke pay for her studies — and she doesn’t count against the team’s scholarship limit. Since her return, her work ethic and training is indistinguishable from her ex-teammates still on the court.

“She goes through conditioning and weights every day, treats everything she does like she’s a player, except for when she’s helping us on the practice side,” Ashworth said. “I don’t know if I’d be able to do it, knowing I wasn’t playing matches.

“She’s fully immersed herself into our program. It sets such a great example for everyone else.”

Even while being a solo act on the pro tour — responsible for her own training, equipment and scheduling — there would be weekends where Cecil would take advantage of Ashworth’s offer to have access to Duke’s resources and facilities.

As she considered the gap between professional independence and college camaraderie, Cecil’s preference became clear.

“The pro life is very different than my life at Duke,” Cecil said. “At Duke, you’re involved with a team. You’re surrounded by eight other girls and doing everything with them — playing with them, traveling with them, that kind of environment.”

After months of dealing with the solitude of life on the road, a torn labrum in her hip forced Cecil out of Charleston’s Family Circle Cup in April 2010. Her ranking sitting in the mid-300s, the injury provided a chance to reassess her options.

“I realized my education was important to me,” she said. “You can’t really juggle professional tennis and school at the same time. It may be a blessing in disguise, the injury.”

Cecil — who left Spartanburg before high school to enroll at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., to be coached by Nick Bolliterri — still has time to declare her major, but she is leaning toward political science along with acquiring a marketing/business certificate. She is aiming for a spring 2013 graduation, after which law school might be an option.

And while tennis and school are priorities, there is still time to squeeze in a social life. She joined the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, and Ashworth made it clear it is not her job to report to him what the women are up to.

This coming season will be the first where none of the girls will have been teammates with Cecil.

“They won’t know her in any capacity other than coach,” Ashworth said. “I think that will allow her a little more of an authority role and leadership role.”

Ashworth said Cecil proved most valuable this past season by being an extra pair of eyes during the most hectic parts of matches.

“Especially in the doubles, when we have three coaches for three courts, it’s a great situation,” he said. “She got used to working with the same doubles team over and over, and they looked to her for advice all the time.

“As long as she’s around and willing to help, we’ll definitely take her.”

Even if becoming a full-time coach is not a long-term goal, returning to Duke as a coach has allowed Cecil to continue her education and keep open options for the future — while staying involved in the sport that first brought her to campus.

“It’s been a really cool learning experience, of seeing it from a different perspective,” Cecil said. “Obviously I always intend to play tennis — I think it’s a great life sport, you can play it at any age. I definitely intend to continue playing on and have it be a part of my life, because it always has been.”

Last edited by gouci : Jun 19th, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #92
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold
Re: Acc

I am curious if her student assistant coach position is a full-ride. If yes, well that seems kind of generous.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 04:21 AM   #93
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

It's really great that it worked out for Mallory. I think she knows she made a mistake turning pro that quickly, but it's nice to see that she's been able to get a really unique experience out of all of this, and she'll still get that Duke degree.
tucker1989 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #94
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Virginia Tech

Incoming Virginia Tech freshman Carol Kahoun had only seen pictures of the campus before coming to the United States. "Now that I have been on campus it is really huge," she said.

By Chuck Altizer | Special to The Roanoke Times
Thursday, July 14, 2011

A hint of what's to come?

Aggressive play among Virginia Tech tennis players at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association summer circuit event may bode well for the season ahead.

Coming off a season in which the Virginia Tech women's tennis team finished 10-15, with a 2-10 mark in the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Hokies found some optimismthis past weekend.

At the Intercollegiate Tennis Association summer circuit event at Tech's Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center, Hokie rising sophomores Tea Ivanovic and Isel Martinez-Marcos, along with incoming freshman Carol Kahoun, combined to go 9-2 in the 19-person field that included many college and top high school players. Both losses came in match-ups against each other.

Ivanovic captured the title over Martinez-Marcos after defeating Kahoun in the semifinals.

"It was definitely weird playing against teammates," said Ivanovic, a 17-year old from Belguim. "But, it was good to go out and get some matches in this summer, it was a great win and hopefully it will lead to more wins this season."

For their coach, Terry Ann Zawacki-Woods, it was an opportunity to see how much they had improved. More importantly, it provided the players some competition.

"Our goal this summer was to play as many matches as possible," she said. "This really helps to get them on the court. In the summer you don't look at the result so much as how many points you played."

Martinez-Marcos showed her mettle in the quarterfinals when she came from behind to beat Layla Tanik before surviving a back-and-forth match with Tanik's sister and West Virginia's No. 1 seed, Melis Tanik, in the semifinals.

"It was fun to get out there and practice a little bit," said Martinez-Marcos, who is from Spain and just turned 19. "I wanted to win but it just didn't work out that way. But it is going to help me in the season to come."

Ivanovic and Martinez-Marcos also combined to win the doubles tournament.

Kahoun, 19, a native of Switzerland, was playing in her first-ever United States tournament as she prepares to enter Tech this fall as a freshman.

"Now that I have been on campus it is really huge," said Kahoun, who had only seen pictures from Tech's website before coming to the U.S.

One thing that the newest Hokie is ready to experience is the sport of American football, and of course the way her new school plays it.

"I need to learn the rules, but I'm really excited to see it in person. Look at that stadium; it is huge, bigger than anything we have in Switzerland," she said. "But I have been here one week and I have liked the people I have met, they have been really open and really welcomed me."

And now that the Hokies have three young and improving players trying to step up and lead them, the goal is clear for Tech women's tennis.

"I think the team can do a lot better this year," Ivanovic said. "We can make the NCAA -- that's the goal."

Other notes from the tournament: The men's champion was Texas incoming freshman Jacob Lewis, who's father is former Alabama quarterback Walter Lewis, the captain on Paul "Bear" Bryant's last football squad. He defeated Christiaan Lee-Daigle of Queens College in Charlotte, N.C. The men's double champions were a pair of Tennessee future teammates in Brandon Fickey, who will be an incoming freshman, and Taylor Patrick. They defeated Lewis and his older brother, John, in the finals.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #95
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

CLAY NATIONAL

128 Katrine Steffensen d. (11) Caroline Price 6-3; 6-0

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #96
country flag iPatty

iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute

Steffensen is a very good player but Price is adding absolutely NOTHING to UNC next year. Just go look at a video of her on youtube, she looks abysmal.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 05:00 AM   #97
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

well, she could get better at UNC, I guess

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 04:43 AM   #98
country flag fantic

UGA's Anghelescu transferring to GT? Just read a reply at Zoo Tennis

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #99
country flag fantic

Kay/Price won the Clay National. With Dai, UNC is getting good doubles players, at least.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #100
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
UGA's Anghelescu transferring to GT? Just read a reply at Zoo Tennis
So she is. Competed at the Summer Circuit championship as a GT player.

LINK

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Aug 16th, 2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #101
country flag gouci

Re: Miami exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post
+1

Also would be interesting to know what schools TAKE a lot of transfers. Are there coaches that "poach" players from other schools?
Iliniois Chicago takes a lot of transfers, 14 transferred IN the most in the country that we know about. Therefore I drew the conclusion the UIC coach is poaching players from other schools using 10sE's own logic.

That quote states 10sE's own logic. But when this logic implicated someone he liked 10sE acted in contradiction to it . Someone who acts in contradiction to his own logic or belief is by definition a hypocrite.

Just a reminder to everyone who requested the poaching thread in the first place .

Be careful what you ask for because you may just get it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 05:27 PM   #102
country flag fantic

Duke visits Cal and Nevada in January.

They're participating at NCTC (Palm Springs) and UNLV invite

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #103
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

gouci, you are such a joke and nearly everyone on this forum agrees.

It doesn't make a difference what anyone says, you will use circular and convoluted logic to "make" your own point.

You're right, I took offense when you made false allegations against one of my friends. If you had any friends, you might understand that.
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #104
country flag its_a_racquet

its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post
gouci, you are such a joke and nearly everyone on this forum agrees.

It doesn't make a difference what anyone says, you will use circular and convoluted logic to "make" your own point.

You're right, I took offense when you made false allegations against one of my friends. If you had any friends, you might understand that.
well said. i can't say the coach discussed here is a friend, but i know her and of her well enough to know she's a great coach and person.
its_a_racquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #105
country flag gouci

10sE another poster here that responds to a post that's already weeks old is Form. You and form really are 2 peas in a pod.

And like Form you become so angry to the point you get message board rage and lash out at me. You turn into a rule breaker that ends up posting a personal attack so bad it's not permitted on this board. But the best part is when the moderator deletes your post and I end up rolling on the floor laughing my ass off.

Thanks 10se for giving me such a big laugh this Labor Day weekend.