On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 300 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #4486
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Give David Cameron at the Torry Party conference a go... If that's not available then Sarah Palin or Mitt Romney are pretty frightening too.
Well,I'm not familiar with Cameron but,if you wanna talk U.S. politics,their current prez is such a pathetic assclown that he dealt with an already-struggling economy by running up a nearly seven-TRILLION-dollar deficit in less than 4 years.If it didn't hit so close to home,I'd actually encourage him to run that sewer-dwelling country into the ground.Unfortunately,as you know,we have many American maquilas down here,and mis paisanos often lose their jobs when production demand is woefully low and the bosses look to make cuts somewhere....I won't delve deeply into his Justice Department stooges' buddy-buddy relationship with automatic weapons manufacturers who cavalierly,knowingly sell to our narcos

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 25th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #4487
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Did you notice the similarities between first set Serena - Li and second set Caro - Domi (Moscow)? Serena failed to serve out the set at both 5-4 and 6-5, got broken to love and went to TB.
Unlike Caro, Serena was only serving for the set, of course, not the match and she managed to win the TB. But Caro isn't the only one who has 'Caro-problems'.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Oct 25th, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #4488
country flag Achernar

Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
With Halloween coming up, I'm curious what the scariest movie folks on this board have seen.

For me, it's the Exorcist. That's one movie that I really don't like to watch in the dark at night. I also find Paranormal Activity very scary particularly this part towards the end.

The Mist, Night of the Living Dead, and Dawn of the Dead are a few of my favorite horror movies.
That's a good idea to welcome Halloween I am by no means an expert in horror movies, but here's my little list.

In modern movies, I would suggest The Ring, definitely one of the best horror movies I've ever seen. The plot is so well built and the special effects are striking.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose would be another good pick. This is a movie I can't watch without a shiver

Not as good, but I also liked the Unborn.

Among the classics, the Nightmare of Elm Street are my favorites. I was way too young when I saw the first one and I remained somewhat traumatized by this film Since then, I've seen the others several times and I still feel a delicious mix of amusement and apprehension while watching them.

I would also suggest Bram Stoker's Dracula from Francis Ford Coppola. The film is very well conceived, with its glamorous and gothic ambience and its impressive cast (Anthony Hopkins, Gary Oldman, Winona Ryder and more). The movie takes several liberties with the novel, but is equally enjoyable in its own way.

While at it, why not adding Alien, by Ridley Scott. Even if it's not a horror movie per se, the movie is fully horrifying, with its legendary monster and it's claustrophobic atmosphere.

I would end my list with the infamous Poltergeist from Steven Spielberg. The movie has aged and is no longer really horrifying, but it remains one of the best fantastic movies ever made. Nowadays, I think that the events surrounding the movie are scarier than the movie itself.

"From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties, And things that go bump in the night, Good Lord, deliver us!"
Achernar is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #4489
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Did you notice the similarities between first set Serena - Li and second set Caro - Domi (Moscow)? Serena failed to serve out the set at both 5-4 and 6-5, got broken to love and went to TB.
Unlike Caro, Serena was only serving for the set, of course, not the match and she managed to win the TB. But Caro isn't the only one who has 'Caro-problems'.
I'm guessing that you read some negative anti-Caro comments which inspired this post

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 04:14 AM   #4490
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achernar View Post
"From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties, And things that go bump in the night, Good Lord, deliver us!"
Though it's not really a horror film,precisely,it WILL unsettle you and make your skin crawl(which is somewhat surprising because sequels are so often unremarkable).....It's the DaVinci Underwear Code:Yellow in the Front,Brown in the Back

Old Oct 27th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #4491
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
While the two conditions might seem similar, there are significant differences between Zvonarevaritis, and Ivanovicicosis. Neither is of course contageous, except in a hysterical sense.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #4492
country flag Achernar

Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Though it's not really a horror film,precisely,it WILL unsettle you and make your skin crawl(which is somewhat surprising because sequels are so often unremarkable).....It's the DaVinci Underwear Code:Yellow in the Front,Brown in the Back
A movie inspired by a true story, I guess
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #4493
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTennis View Post
I rarely watch horror movies now, because they are really bad nowadays!
But a film series about Freddy Krueger are one of the scariest I've ever seen.
Yah, that's true. I was thinking about going to see Silent Hill: Revelation or Paranormal Activity 4 but the reviews were horrible.

I think I've seen some of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies but I can't say that I'm a big fan.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #4494
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achernar View Post
That's a good idea to welcome Halloween I am by no means an expert in horror movies, but here's my little list.

In modern movies, I would suggest The Ring, definitely one of the best horror movies I've ever seen. The plot is so well built and the special effects are striking.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose would be another good pick. This is a movie I can't watch without a shiver

Not as good, but I also liked the Unborn.

Among the classics, the Nightmare of Elm Street are my favorites. I was way too young when I saw the first one and I remained somewhat traumatized by this film Since then, I've seen the others several times and I still feel a delicious mix of amusement and apprehension while watching them.

I would also suggest Bram Stoker's Dracula from Francis Ford Coppola. The film is very well conceived, with its glamorous and gothic ambience and its impressive cast (Anthony Hopkins, Gary Oldman, Winona Ryder and more). The movie takes several liberties with the novel, but is equally enjoyable in its own way.

While at it, why not adding Alien, by Ridley Scott. Even if it's not a horror movie per se, the movie is fully horrifying, with its legendary monster and it's claustrophobic atmosphere.

I would end my list with the infamous Poltergeist from Steven Spielberg. The movie has aged and is no longer really horrifying, but it remains one of the best fantastic movies ever made. Nowadays, I think that the events surrounding the movie are scarier than the movie itself.

I rather like the Ring. I've never seen the Japanese version of it though (Ringu).

Isn't the Exorcism of Emily Rose more of a legal drama? I haven't seen it, that's what I read about it somewhere.

Yah, the sci-fi/horror hybrid nature of Alien is the reason why I didn't list it. I can't decide whether I like Alien or Aliens better.

Where's your quote from?
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #4495
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Where's your quote from?
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-b...;f=70;t=013618

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #4496
country flag Achernar

Quote:
I rather like the Ring. I've never seen the Japanese version of it though (Ringu).

Isn't the Exorcism of Emily Rose more of a legal drama? I haven't seen it, that's what I read about it somewhere.

Yah, the sci-fi/horror hybrid nature of Alien is the reason why I didn't list it. I can't decide whether I like Alien or Aliens better.

Where's your quote from?
Regarding the quote, it seems to be a Scottish Saying. I've also seen it labeled as an old traditional English prayer. I merely searched the Internet for a nice quote for Halloween and I found it. Since it sounded good I kept it

About the Exorcism of Emily Rose, it's definitely not a legal drama. t's a horror film that takes pretense of a trial to narrate the conduct of an exorcism. Through the legal testimonies, we discover the story of Emily Rose, a young woman inhabited by the Devil, and the events that led to her exorcism and her death. The attorney seeks to demonstrate that the priest is responsible for criminal negligence and that the victim was suffering from mental disorders rather than demonic possession. The story cleverly straddles between the plausible and the supernatural and the actors are excellent. A large part of the story takes place in a court of law, but the scenes related to Emily Rose are truly disturbing.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #4497
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of horror movies

Old Oct 30th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #4498
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
While the two conditions might seem similar, there are significant differences between Zvonarevaritis, and Ivanovicicosis. Neither is of course contageous, except in a hysterical sense.
Unfortunately for the victims,they both seem disinclined to seek proper treatment....I'd say that even a near-vegetative Caro would be more emotionally well-grounded

Old Oct 30th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #4499
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she won't come back to where she was at her peak but I think you guys are being a little harsh on Vera. I don't follow her closely but hasn't she had many injuries over the past year and a half? Let's see if she can come back strong next year (assuming she can stay healthy).

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #4500
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Maybe she won't come back to where she was at her peak but I think you guys are being a little harsh on Vera. I don't follow her closely but hasn't she had many injuries over the past year and a half? Let's see if she can come back strong next year (assuming she can stay healthy).
I actually LIKE Vera a little cuz one of my closest friends is a hard-core fan of hers.However,even HE will admit that Vera's a bit loopy with her powwow sessions under her towel with her imaginary sages

Closed Thread