On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 299 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 07:58 AM   #4471
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Sofia Arvidsson skriver på sin blog om optakten til kampen mod Caro: "Skulle bolla in innan matchen igår. En av killarna från ATP ställde upp som sparring."
Det lyder ret frækt i danske øren!

(the joke only works in Danish, sorry non-Danes)
Advertisement

Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 05:32 AM   #4472
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Well,I doubt that any apology is really necessary;Scandinavians aren't exactly known worldwide as hilarious comedians.Is there anyone who's referred to as 'the Jerry Seinfeld of Denmark'?

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Soccer=the RCC and Islam in terms of brainwashed,mindless fanatics who'll kill and maim for their stupid religion
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 06:37 AM   #4473
country flag The Reff

The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Well,I doubt that any apology is really necessary;Scandinavians aren't exactly known worldwide as hilarious comedians.Is there anyone who's referred to as 'the Jerry Seinfeld of Denmark'?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3lmY0smkeE

This is presumably the biggest thing on the Danish comedy Star-chart at the moment.
Don't know if it translates to english - but the feel of this is closer to a "mockumentary" like "Extras" with Ricky Gervais.
The humour is more British in nature than American i fear ----

Last edited by The Reff : Oct 23rd, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
The Reff is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #4474
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reff View Post

This is presumably the biggest thing on the Danish comedy Star-chart at the moment.
Don't know if it translates to english - but the feel of this is closer to a "mockumentary" like "Extras" with Ricky Gervais.
As for your last comment,"Claire Ross-Brown" sounds a heck of a lot more British than Danish;I'm guessing that she has mixed parentage.Yeah,you're right that the whole feel was a lot more British than American...but that's not really a bad thing since most U.S. humor is cheesy and classless.Still,it's not quite as easy to enjoy via subtitles for someone like myself who doesn't know the native tongue,yet it WAS sort of funny how some of the words like "monster truck" remained the same.

You're one of the more pleasant,easygoing posters here,Reff,so it's too bad that you can't say hello more often;thank you for taking the time to share the vid along with your insights

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Soccer=the RCC and Islam in terms of brainwashed,mindless fanatics who'll kill and maim for their stupid religion
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #4475
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I've never actually seen that before. Not too bad .. and yes, it has a very 'Extras' feel to it, but Frank is no Karl Pilkington and maybe that's where it falls a little flat?

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #4476
country flag The Reff

The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all The Reff is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
I've never actually seen that before. Not too bad .. and yes, it has a very 'Extras' feel to it, but Frank is no Karl Pilkington and maybe that's where it falls a little flat?
Well .... no he's not, - but so, I fear, in relation to "Extras", neither is Karl (as far as i remember his only involvement is a part in the christmas special).
In a direct comparison between "Klovn" and "Extras" I would choose the latter every time - but I have had quite a few good laughs from "Klovn".
My Personal all time favourite installation in Danish humour is still "The Julekalender" (old school - I know), but that is a personal preference and one that is almost impossible to convey into English (even though the language spoken in it is a kind of Danish-pidgin english).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdsrKXCOFrw
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #4477
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well .... no he's not, - but so, I fear, in relation to "Extras", neither is Karl (I think his only involvement is a part in the christmas special).
In a direct comparison between "Klovn" and "Extras" I would choose the latter every time - but I have had quite a few good laughs from "Klovn".
My Personal all time favourite installation in Danish humour is still "The Julekalender" (old school - I know), but that is a personal preference and one that is almost impossible to convey into English (even though the language spoken in it is a kind of Danish-pidgin english).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdsrKXCOFrw
I didn't mean to imply, Frank Hvam's (?) role in Klovn was equal to Karl Pilkingtons. Karl Pilkington only had a few scenes. But as you rightly said, Klovn has an Extra vibe and Frank Hvam appears to be a Karl Pilkington type of character. With Casper being Ricky.

I've only watched a few episodes so far .. via YT, but it's on a torrent and downloading as we speak ..

PS You have seen 'Idiot Abroad', yes?

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #4478
country flag The Reff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post

PS You have seen 'Idiot Abroad', yes?
Here I'm the one that has only seen bits and trinkets on YT
- Just made a plan to download ...
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #4479
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

With Halloween coming up, I'm curious what the scariest movie folks on this board have seen.

For me, it's the Exorcist. That's one movie that I really don't like to watch in the dark at night. I also find Paranormal Activity very scary particularly this part towards the end.

The Mist, Night of the Living Dead, and Dawn of the Dead are a few of my favorite horror movies.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #4480
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I rarely watch horror movies now, because they are really bad nowadays!
But a film series about Freddy Krueger are one of the scariest I've ever seen.

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #4481
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are you not a fan of Selvsving on DR? it's some of the very best satire out there.

Monty Python is huge influence on old school Danish humour, and from the little stand up I have herd recently, it appears Richard Prior is still a strong influence too.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #4482
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
With Halloween coming up, I'm curious what the scariest movie folks on this board have seen.

For me, it's the Exorcist. That's one movie that I really don't like to watch in the dark at night. I also find Paranormal Activity very scary particularly this part towards the end.

The Mist, Night of the Living Dead, and Dawn of the Dead are a few of my favorite horror movies.
Give David Cameron at the Torry Party conference a go... If that's not available then Sarah Palin or Mitt Romney are pretty frightening too.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #4483
country flag The Reff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Are you not a fan of Selvsving on DR?
Definitely some funny bits from them ("Ned i Nato" about Anders Foghs escape from Danish politics had me in tears), but i find that some of their stuff is a bitt rough cut; too noisy; or not elegant enough for my taste. Some of It simply feels a bit like the traditional old weekly TV-satireprograms from DR (ugerevyer som UHA-UHA og lignende). I seem to have moved on from that kind of humour, cuz' it used to make me laugh.
In all fairness: I think that the "roughness" stems from very tight deadlines when making up-to-date satire - no time to polish.

Last edited by The Reff : Oct 24th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
The Reff is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #4484
country flag TennisFan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
As for your last comment,"Claire Ross-Brown" sounds a heck of a lot more British than Danish;
She is English .. and rather gorgeous, if I may say so ..

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #4485
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post

Okay,Protoss,you asked for it.Here's one that has terrified even battle-hardened soldiers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knEOourigcw

You may want to re-consider,of course,and you can't say that I didn't warn you

Closed Thread