On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 288 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #4306
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achernar View Post
I would like to answer you, but I'm not really familiar with Internet's coded language. What's the meaning of v.v
Vice Versa.

I'm also a dog lover but it's a huge debate...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 19th, 2012, 05:13 AM   #4307
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

To add to the above comments,I'm strongly in favor of heavy criminal consequences for any animal owners who either own dangerous pets or train an animal to be aggressive.......and then fail to restrain it properly.Heard a sad case while living in the U.S. where a man was exonerated for shooting his neighbor's dog after said animal got loose,mauled his elementary-school-aged daughter's face and,literally,scarred her for life.

While I can sympathize with the father's anger and impulsive reaction,I feel that he was slightly misguided: I would have waited for Animal Control to seize the dog and then aye WOULDN'T have used my gun on the owner;I'd have crushed so many bones in his face that he would've been eating from a straw for at least six months...on top of the constant throbbing pain and difficulty sleeping at night.THAT would give him enough of a lasting memory to re-consider his moral obligations to be a responsible pet owner.I know of a habitual wife-beater who received an ass-whupping like that one,and he was magically cured

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #4308
country flag Achernar

Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Vice Versa.

I'm also a dog lover but it's a huge debate...
To be honest, dogs are not really my favorite animals. I mean, I like them, some of them at least, but it's not the first pet I would get if I could (being allergic, I can't even think about that anyway). But I think that we have a moral responsibility toward our animals. Like us, they feel emotions (at least to some degree), and pain. Since we have the power to affect their lives, we also have the responsibility to take care of them. We must spare them unnecessary suffering. And since we can't trust the moral sense of their owners, we must protect them legally. As you stated, however, this is a huge debate, since our needs as human beings come into conflict with their rights as living beings. But there is no acceptable reason to abandon an animal in the street, to beat or to torture him(it?). This is a fine example of their status in most societies. In French, we assign a gender to animals. In English, they are designated by the article "it", just as things. They're only seen as personal properties. It disgusts me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
To add to the above comments,I'm strongly in favor of heavy criminal consequences for any animal owners who either own dangerous pets or train an animal to be aggressive.......and then fail to restrain it properly.Heard a sad case while living in the U.S. where a man was exonerated for shooting his neighbor's dog after said animal got loose,mauled his elementary-school-aged daughter's face and,literally,scarred her for life.

While I can sympathize with the father's anger and impulsive reaction,I feel that he was slightly misguided: I would have waited for Animal Control to seize the dog and then aye WOULDN'T have used my gun on the owner;I'd have crushed so many bones in his face that he would've been eating from a straw for at least six months...on top of the constant throbbing pain and difficulty sleeping at night.THAT would give him enough of a lasting memory to re-consider his moral obligations to be a responsible pet owner.I know of a habitual wife-beater who received an ass-whupping like that one,and he was magically cured
Quite frankly, I would approve you without hesitation. But I fear that the laws are not as merciful. In such a case, you would end up in prison while the pet owner would be protected. Unfortunately
Achernar is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #4309
country flag Achernar

Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future

On a lighter note, I found an interesting newspaper article about the Olympics, and from a "totally reliable source"

http://centurylink.net/news/read.php..._viewed&page=1

Here are some excerpts

"It's party time for Olympic athletes

LONDON (AP) — "Sex And The City" move over. Here comes "Sex In The Village." Make that athletes village. As in Olympics.

Tales of shenanigans at the living quarters for 10,000 super-fit young men and women have always abounded, and London doesn't look as if it will be any different.

U.S. women's soccer star Hope Solo recently dished about serious partying at the Beijing Games, and some newly arrived athletes say they can hardly wait for the fun to begin.

"The Olympics is the height of your career, so you might do some things you don't usually do," British beach volleyball player Shauna Mullin said with a giggle Wednesday."

And further in the text:

"Thousands of free condoms will be available. Organizers have heard enough about village antics from previous games to know there will be heavy demand by athletes for contraception.

"Solo recalled seeing competitors having sex out in the open in Beijing.

"On the grass, between buildings, people are getting down and dirty," the 2008 gold medalist told ESPN The Magazine recently."

I hope Caroline is not too easily outraged
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 03:43 AM   #4310
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quite frankly, I would approve you without hesitation. But I fear that the laws are not as merciful. In such a case, you would end up in prison while the pet owner would be protected. Unfortunately
Well,you're completely overlooking the impact of differences in judicial systems and cultures.For example,in MY country,we recently had an incident when a small group of cholos were terrorizing the residents of a small town.After getting fed up with the worthless,cowardly municipal police force,the folks took matters into their own hands and lynched the pinche cholos from a tree.With no witnesses to co-operate,the keystone kops couldn't press charges on anyone: PROBLEM SOLVED!

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 04:12 AM   #4311
country flag bruce goose

Btw,I'd say that,based on how she represents herself,Hope Solo had a good close-up view in Beijing 2008 b/c she was ONE OF those who were on the grass between buildings,not merely an accidental observer....that is,of course,when she wasn't too busy worrying about how to beat her upcoming drug test

Old Jul 20th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #4312
country flag Achernar

Quote:
Well,you're completely overlooking the impact of differences in judicial systems and cultures.For example,in MY country,we recently had an incident when a small group of cholos were terrorizing the residents of a small town.After getting fed up with the worthless,cowardly municipal police force,the folks took matters into their own hands and lynched the pinche cholos from a tree.With no witnesses to co-operate,the keystone kops couldn't press charges on anyone: PROBLEM SOLVED!
You're absolutely right about the bold part Ethnocentrism at its best.

However, from what you're telling me, when the folks "lynched the pinche cholos" they were still acting illegally. Had they been reported, they probably would have been convicted. Therefore, our laws are not so different. The main difference is the existence of an "informal system of justice", warranted by the incompetence, the laziness or the corruption of your police force. At least, that's how it sounds to me. But what do I know, I don't even know my own laws

Quote:
Btw,I'd say that,based on how she represents herself,Hope Solo had a good close-up view in Beijing 2008 b/c she was ONE OF those who were on the grass between buildings,not merely an accidental observer....that is,of course,when she wasn't too busy worrying about how to beat her upcoming drug test
I could not say, since I know nothing about Hope Solo outside of her name. But who could blame her? Olympics spirit is dedicated to physical performances in all their aspects, isn't it? About Olympic Spirit, Wikipedia state: "People will be able to experience the sports and the intensity of the competitions personally through interactive exhibits and demonstrations". Therefore, the "performers" in Beijing simply indulged to that spirit
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #4313
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we learned that the tennis players stay far away from the village so it shouldn't be an issue

I think the Olympic experience is a bit different for the tennis players since unlike most of the other athletes, they are paid professionals so they tackle the event a bit differently. For most of the other athletes, competing in the Olympics is the height of their career, it's as far as they`re going to go so they`re bound to get a bit more...crazy I think..especially since most of them aren't that much in the media spotlight.

My Tennis Photo Database
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #4314
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
You're absolutely right about the bold part Ethnocentrism at its best.

However, from what you're telling me, when the folks "lynched the pinche cholos" they were still acting illegally. Had they been reported, they probably would have been convicted. Therefore, our laws are not so different. The main difference is the existence of an "informal system of justice", warranted by the incompetence, the laziness or the corruption of your police force. At least, that's how it sounds to me. But what do I know, I don't even know my own laws

I could not say, since I know nothing about Hope Solo outside of her name. But who could blame her? Olympics spirit is dedicated to physical performances in all their aspects, isn't it? About Olympic Spirit, Wikipedia state: "People will be able to experience the sports and the intensity of the competitions personally through interactive exhibits and demonstrations". Therefore, the "performers" in Beijing simply indulged to that spirit
Your summary in the 1st part is reasonably accurate---for what it's worth,I acknowledge the potential dangers in vigilante justice,but self-defense is a RIGHT,NOT a privilege,so when law enforcement flatly refuses to do its job,then the people should feel free to provide their own protection.

As for Solo,I'm not going to delve deeply into her personal doings;I just felt that her account was a bit dishonest.She made it seem that 'other people' were acting horny and crazy when,in all likelihood,she was a PARTICIPANT and not just an observer

Old Jul 20th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #4315
country flag Achernar

Quote:
Your summary in the 1st part is reasonably accurate---for what it's worth,I acknowledge the potential dangers in vigilante justice,but self-defense is a RIGHT,NOT a privilege,so when law enforcement flatly refuses to do its job,then the people should feel free to provide their own protection.
Actually, defending our physical integrity is much more than a right, it's a basic instinct in all living beings. Rights are only a social invention, a moral concept. Even if a given nation was depriving us of our right to self-preservation, we would continue to defend ourselves against any physical threat. For many philosophers, living in society involves the loss of certain freedoms, that we would have in our natural state, to the benefits of a better quality of life, including a better chance of survival. When a society can not guarantee our physical safety, its very existence loses its meaning.

Here I am philosophizing in a language that I do not masterize

All that to say that I agree with you.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 12:56 AM   #4316
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Well, we learned that the tennis players stay far away from the village so it shouldn't be an issue

I think the Olympic experience is a bit different for the tennis players since unlike most of the other athletes, they are paid professionals so they tackle the event a bit differently. For most of the other athletes, competing in the Olympics is the height of their career, it's as far as they`re going to go so they`re bound to get a bit more...crazy I think..especially since most of them aren't that much in the media spotlight.
I do think the tennis players will be going to the Olympic Village though. I find it inconceivable they would just want to stay at Wimbledon all the time and miss the experience at the village. We can argue about slams > Olympics. But I don't think players think like that or vice-versa while they are there. It's still an experience like nothing else they will do. And while they are there - that will be the greatest experience for them and the last thing they will be thinking is "Oh a slam is better and would be the pinnacle" so I'll stay away from the village because of some traffic to get there.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 04:22 AM   #4317
country flag bruce goose

To a more universally accepted form of violence: I woke up and took a bathroom break at about 5 a.m. this morning when I noticed a roach in my shower,sprayed it and swept it outside with the broom.A few hours later,that same roach was writhing on its back in the hot sun...and I watched with admiration as industrious ants ate the pest alive.Now THAT's what I call 'natural order'!

Old Jul 25th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #4318
country flag bruce goose

Just saw some more photos from Shvedova's ongoing contributions to the WTA page;dare I say that her outlook on life is as beautiful as SHE is

Old Jul 27th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #4319
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

A nice revelation and admission about state sponsored and compulsory doping through the 1980's and 1990's...

Not that I think they are the only ones, but what do you all think WADA and the IOC should do? Send the team home, or just pretend things have changed?

Dollarympics, or founding values?
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #4320
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
A nice revelation and admission about state sponsored and compulsory doping through the 1980's and 1990's...

Not that I think they are the only ones, but what do you all think WADA and the IOC should do? Send the team home, or just pretend things have changed?

Dollarympics, or founding values?
Fair questions.So many of us would love to just wish the chicanery away and have an ethically pure Olympics.Then,when we see indisputable evidence of the sort of b.s. doping tactics that you cite above,some of us are tempted to levy the harshest punishment imaginable,just to offer an unforgettable deterrent to everyone.I tend to fall into the latter group sometimes but realize that my anger isn't always the best arbiter of justice

Closed Thread