On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 275 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #4111
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Well, if you are talking about the best players in the world I think it is fair to say that the men are inarguably superior players.

I do agree with you about entertainment value. Generally I don't get much out of watching ATP matches until the quarters
Men are with 30% more muscle mass of course 'superior' in a head to head, but I am not sure that's the argument for unequal pay. It's all down to entertainment, popularity and marketability.

You said it yourself, WNBA players train and work hard, but is making a fraction of what NBA players do. Same for football (soccer if you must). Tennis is really the anomaly in big sports, so far that women and men have equal price money.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 29th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #4112
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Yikes, could be another huge upset, Federer is down two sets to none against Benneteau.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #4113
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yikes, could be another huge upset, Federer is down two sets to none against Benneteau.
But he still made it.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 05:59 AM   #4114
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Well,no one answered my question back there,so I'll assume,for now,that Rafa gave his opponent an inadvertent bump and not a flagrant one

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #4115
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Well,no one answered my question back there,so I'll assume,for now,that Rafa gave his opponent an inadvertent bump and not a flagrant one
I didn't see that particular incident but if you browse the results thread you might find your answer:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=205144

Old Jun 30th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #4116
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Final tomorrow. Any thoughts? I am thinking SPA + DRW at implied 1.33 (b4 commish). Surely the Italians cannot play another blinder ( .. and I seriously saying that after Paszek won another 3 setter ... guess I am ).

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #4117
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I honestly don't feel strongly about this topic one way or the other but I believe that part of Simon's argument was that the ATP generates more income than the WTA. I'm not sure if that is true and I also don't know how that works regarding the slams but if it is true I can see his point of view. This may be a poor example for the Europeans but look at the NBA and the WNBA. Few people would argue that the WNBA players should earn the same amount as NBA players due to the fact that the NBA generates much more money. I suspect that the gap, if there even is a gap, between the ATP and WTA is much smaller but if there is one I can see why it would bother some people. This is probably an impractical solution but if the incomes that were generated by each "league" were kept separate and the ATP monies divided among the men and the WTA monies divided among the women there would be no room for argument.

Regarding this question of yours "Why should a player, man or woman, struggling to make ends meet, be effectively punished just because one side generates more revenue?" I have a simple answer: capitalism. What if there came a time when the WTA was bringing in five, ten or twenty times the revenue that the ATP was? Wouldn't the women have a legitimate reason to demand a greater share of the profits? In that scenario they would be the ones that are drawing the fans/income so shouldn't they be rewarded for it?

I actually do agree with you regarding the length of matches. I often find the ATP matches to be too long and in the early rounds you very rarely have competitive matches involving the top ten players (Rosol/Nadal being a huge exception). On the other hand you can usually rely on the top men to come through to the quarters/semis/final where with the women things are completely unpredictable. I'm starting to ramble so I'll stop now.

But the ATP and the WTA are already seperate entities. There may be joint tournaments but the ATP can do nothing about what the prize money the WTA sets for their tournaments and vice versa. The Slams are owned by the ITF. If Simon and others are that bothered by equal prize money in the Slams they should take it up with the ITF. Same with the NBA and WNBA. Different tours, different concerns. If the salaries of the women's basketball players ever do raise to the level of men's players I doubt the NBA will be affected at all.

And your point about women demanding more share of the revenue is valid for both sexes. But right now, the ITF is not stealing money out of men's pocket to give equal prize money. The men are benefiting with the women from the prize money increase every year. So I ask again why is anyone bothered by equal prize money?

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #4118
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Cilic - Querrey are making a run at the Isner - Mahut record. So far they've played for 5½ hours, 15 - 15 in the decider.
2 DFs by Querrey, broken. 16-15 Cilic.
Cilic wins 7-6, 6-4, 6-7, 6-7, 17-15. How mundane!

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Jun 30th, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 05:56 AM   #4119
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Cilic - Querrey are making a run at the Isner - Mahut record.
A.k.a. the "Shit Marathon".Isner and Mahut should've actually been made to give some money BACK for subjecting the Wimbledon schedule to such an endless stream of crappy,low-quality,one-dimensional tennis...there goes the 5-set argument.The only upside to that travesty was that Isner was utterly exhausted...as he DESERVED to be after his pathetic failure to put away a mediocre opponent...and lost his next match quickly,sending his inbred ass home and sparing the British crowd from any more of his goat-turd-stinking presence

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 07:27 AM   #4120
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
A.k.a. the "Shit Marathon".Isner and Mahut should've actually been made to give some money BACK for subjecting the Wimbledon schedule to such an endless stream of crappy,low-quality,one-dimensional tennis...there goes the 5-set argument.The only upside to that travesty was that Isner was utterly exhausted...as he DESERVED to be after his pathetic failure to put away a mediocre opponent...and lost his next match quickly,sending his inbred ass home and sparing the British crowd from any more of his goat-turd-stinking presence
I would have toned that down considerably ("inbred ass" and "goat-turd stinking presence" are not phrases I often use) but in general I agree with the sentiment. If you just look at the scoreline then it is a remarkable match but actually watching it was torture. I'm biased against Isner but he really shouldn't have let it get to that point and ended it much earlier. The fact that he had nothing left for his second round match was largely a self-inflicted wound and I was glad to see him go out early.

Old Jul 1st, 2012, 06:55 PM   #4121
country flag DownInAHole

Sigh, I guess that no one is going to wish me a happy Canada Day.

Old Jul 1st, 2012, 07:34 PM   #4122
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada Day, eh?

Make sure to have a Kraft Dinner on me then buddy

My Tennis Photo Database
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 08:16 PM   #4123
country flag DownInAHole

Eerie, I'm eating Kraft Dinner right now. Eh.

Old Jul 1st, 2012, 09:02 PM   #4124
country flag postalblowfish

postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future

Happy Canada Day!

Canada's so kewl.
postalblowfish is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 10:46 PM   #4125
country flag Dodoboy.

Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still really upset Caro lost 1R. Especially considering she was playing SUCH positive tennis. I hope she understood the circumstances and does no stop imposing her game. It really was a pleasure to watch, she got unlucky with her draw. We'll see what the rest of 2012 has in store for her, I'm anxious to see her next match.
Dodoboy. is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread