On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 258 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 19th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #3856
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
I find the whole reasoning behind the blue clay both patronising and insulting to the players and fans considering the result. Time the owner used his skills in Las Vegas, rather than stinking up the tour with his poor taste and last century kitsch ideas.
The colour wasn't the problem. From what I hear only the main court was slippery but the other courts had smurf clay as well. In terms of making the ball more visible they achieved their goal, although it seems a silly way to go about it. Just change the colour of the ball depending on the colour of the courts - not vice versa.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #3857
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
The colour wasn't the problem. From what I hear only the main court was slippery but the other courts had smurf clay as well. In terms of making the ball more visible they achieved their goal, although it seems a silly way to go about it. Just change the colour of the ball depending on the colour of the courts - not vice versa.
Change the colour of the ball? But what about tradition?

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 19th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #3858
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My understanding is that changing the colour caused changes in the way the surface played, and the motive was primarily a publicity stunt (sponsor colours) to differentiate the tournament, which is a stated by players is a bit dumb in a lead up event. As such the colour was the problem when it effects the composition of the court material.

I haven't seen a statement confirming specific composition of the surface or MSDS but would love to see it and what chemicals, elements, or pigments they used to create the colour, and whether they are any known or potential issues.
Old May 19th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #3859
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to let everyone know, I'm partying my ass of right now... this is so awesome....oh my god

Congrats Chelsea!!

My Tennis Photo Database

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 19th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #3860
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

all the germans i know were rooting for Chelsea

have fun

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 19th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #3861
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

This is like Sharapova winning a calendar slam * 1,000 .. for me ..

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #3862
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Hero View Post
all the germans i know were rooting for Chelsea
Why?

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 20th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #3863
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Am inclined to agree with Burisleif's presumption above as it's common for major sporting ventures to try cheap gimmicks to retain the pitifully-short attention spans of today's populace.If they wanted some sort of goofy publicity stunt,they could've thrown an exhibition there and kept the regular tournament the same.From what I've read,the quality of play and fan interest in Madrid weren't any higher this year,so we may classify this circus act as a failure...other than the fact that it's taught us what NOT to do

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #3864
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why?
Because aside from their fans, pretty much every German interested in football hates Bayern

My Tennis Photo Database

Twitter
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #3865
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Because aside from their fans, pretty much every German interested in football hates Bayern
Full disclaimer: Jimmie supports Dortmund

I am not even a Bayern fan (ABC of course). It's still edged into my memory how Matthews missed his last (pentalty shoot out) kick for Gladbach in a cup final Vs Bayern, before moving to Bayern next season. Looked, it was in 1984 ..

Anyhoo, Bayern has (I read in a Danish tabloid) 130,000 members and is owned by the majority of these members. They have had a surplus running a football club for the last 19 yrs Have a strong youth academy and as a German team, features mainly German players.

I cannot but have respect for that ..

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1

Last edited by TennisFan66 : May 20th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #3866
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post

Anyhoo, Bayern has (I read in a Danish tabloid) 130,000 and is owned by the majority of these members.
That's nothing unique to them though, it's the way German football is set up. There's a rule here that forbids outside investors to take over more than 49% of a club, the majority has to remain with the members.

That's why German teams can't be taken over by some Sheik or investment group like you see it happen in England. Even Borussia being the only publicly-traded club in Germany has to obey this rule, the club has to keep 51% of all shares, no outside person can be able to take over control of the club.

I have no issues with the club as such but the current batch of managers and players are classless scum. They are simply unable to acknowledge that others are doing better work than them, if you get beat 5-2 in a cup final and keep on saying how you were the better team, the others lucked out etc... that's just cringeworthy.

I´ve never seen a worse bunch of losers, Schweinsteiger didn't even bother to shake the German President's hand during the ceremony.

My Tennis Photo Database

Twitter
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #3867
country flag TennisFan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
That's nothing unique to them though, it's the way German football is set up. There's a rule here that forbids outside investors to take over more than 49% of a club, the majority has to remain with the members.
I didn't know, but should bode well for German clubs, when FIFA's Financial Fair Play takes effect from 2013/2014. Not all majority/ foreign owners are bad. I think clubs like Man Utd and Arsenal are examples that 'owners' can allow a club to be financially sound.

How the likes of Chelsea and Man City is going to cope without their rich sugar daddies, is to be seen.

I haven't read what the Sheik has wasted of his countries (and contrymen's) oil money up in Manchester, but looking at Abramovic, he's spent nearly £2 BILLION on player purchases and player salaries during his time at Chelsea. Unfortunately - imho - he's now also managed to fluke a Champions League trophy

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating that football should only be for the working classes, but this is the origin for a lot of clubs. Started in poorer areas of towns and a place for youth to do sports and a much more import role in society than some sugar daddies pet. [/rant]

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #3868
country flag postalblowfish

postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future

I was hoping Spurs would get in the CL.
postalblowfish is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:50 AM   #3869
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal gets an early break. He looks to be regaining the upper hand over Djokovic, at least on clay.

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:01 AM   #3870
country flag DownInAHole

As is so often the case I may have spoken too soon. Djokovic broke back and held to love. Nadal struggled with his serve in his last service game.

Closed Thread