On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 180 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #2686
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro:Off-topic 4 the POPULAR #1

a skier would never see all those money in a whole carreer

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 30th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #2687
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro:Off-topic 4 the POPULAR #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashaWTAsaver View Post
a skier would never see all those money in a whole carreer
Good example for another sport that is both demanding and dangerous.

My Tennis Photo Database

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #2688
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Yes, but Schumacher is the only one that was paid as much and figures have gone way down since then. Fernando Alonso is the best paid driver making 20M including all sponsorship contracts, Lewis Hamilton is the next one in the list and he only makes 15 million a year. Sebastian Vettel in comparison (current two-time world champion) makes around than 10 million a year (including endorsements), and that's for a full year's work including all testing and preparation.
So it's gone down even unadjusted? Not saying you're lying or anything, but it's just weird if that's the case. F1 is still a very popular global sport. And I don't think Scumacher was the only one raking it in, in those years.
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #2689
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good example for another sport that is both demanding and dangerous.
well we are luckier than cross country skiers though

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #2690
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsmash View Post
So it's gone down even unadjusted? Not saying you're lying or anything, but it's just weird if that's the case. F1 is still a very popular global sport. And I don't think Scumacher was the only one raking it in, in those years.
There are several reasons for that: Schumacher had an unmatched following in Germany, his merchandise sold like crazy a few years ago - That was where the majority of his salary was coming from. There was an absolute F1-craze here for several years that since died down. Even though Schumacher came back and Vettel is very successful, F1 viewership has never returned to its heyday and it hasn't it other countries either.

Another reason is that a few years ago, much more manufacturers where involved in Formula One (BMW, Toyota, Honda). Factory teams always pay their drivers best and the competition amongst the manufacturers led to salaries exploding. The slight downturn of interest in F1 and the economic crisis has wiped out most of these programs, only Mercedes & Ferrari are left as big manufacturers who pay big buck. Trust me, my numbers are right, my profession involves motorsport so I know what I´m talking about

That being said, F1 drivers are still off great compared to some of their peers. Tom Kristensen (just to name a driver you most likely know, being Danish and all ) is involved in a form of motorsport that is actually more dangerous than F1 and pays even less. I have no solid numbers here but even including his marketing work for Audi, I highly doubt he takes home more than 2 million a year.

My Tennis Photo Database

Twitter
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #2691
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You don't get to be successful in a sport you have no passion for. And I can see how it's hard to be passionate about golf compared to racing

Seriously though, I think these numbers are hard to defend without admitting that golfers are the most overpaid athletes if you take everything into account. The least exhausting and dangerous sport pays best? That's not right...
So - congrats to the powers that be in golf for taking good care of their competitors.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #2692
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There are several reasons for that: Schumacher had an unmatched following in Germany, his merchandise sold like crazy a few years ago - That was where the majority of his salary was coming from. There was an absolute F1-craze here for several years that since died down. Even though Schumacher came back and Vettel is very successful, F1 viewership has never returned to its heyday and it hasn't it other countries either.

Another reason is that a few years ago, much more manufacturers where involved in Formula One (BMW, Toyota, Honda). Factory teams always pay their drivers best and the competition amongst the manufacturers led to salaries exploding. The slight downturn of interest in F1 and the economic crisis has wiped out most of these programs, only Mercedes & Ferrari are left as big manufacturers who pay big buck. Trust me, my numbers are right, my profession involves motorsport so I know what I´m talking about

That being said, F1 drivers are still off great compared to some of their peers. Tom Kristensen (just to name a driver you most likely know, being Danish and all ) is involved in a form of motorsport that is actually more dangerous than F1 and pays even less. I have no solid numbers here but even including his marketing work for Audi, I highly doubt he takes home more than 2 million a year.
Thanks buddy!

Yeah, it was pretty crazy with Schumacher, but I just thought 15-20 years of inflation had cancelled that out.
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #2693
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Alas being a great driver isn't a guarantee of driving F1, you need personal sponsors to get a seat. Tom is a good example of one of many great drivers that didn't have the cash to get a seat. Accordingly I don't follow F1 anymore as a result.
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #2694
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Alas being a great driver isn't a guarantee of driving F1, you need personal sponsors to get a seat. Tom is a good example of one of many great drivers that didn't have the cash to get a seat. Accordingly I don't follow F1 anymore as a result.
Oh yes, the list of great and talented drivers that haven't made it to F1 goes around the block. You either land a spot with the big factory-backed teams (whose number has declined as explained above) or you bring money.

F1 isn't even the most entertaining form of motorsport anyways so no loss

My Tennis Photo Database

Twitter
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #2695
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh yes, the list of great and talented drivers that haven't made it to F1 goes around the block. You either land a spot with the big factory-backed teams (whose number has declined as explained above) or you bring money.

F1 isn't even the most entertaining form of motorsport anyways so no loss
Even the factory teams aren't immune to choosing a lesser driver based on either domestic or sponsor circumstance.
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #2696
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Even the factory teams aren't immune to choosing a lesser driver based on either domestic or sponsor circumstance.
Well, the real factory teams are - Only two of them left (Mercedes and Ferrari).

Renault & Lotus for example are just factory-branded teams, they don't have full support and proper funding from the parent company.

My Tennis Photo Database

Twitter
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #2697
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You don't get to be successful in a sport you have no passion for. And I can see how it's hard to be passionate about golf compared to racing

Seriously though, I think these numbers are hard to defend without admitting that golfers are the most overpaid athletes if you take everything into account. The least exhausting and dangerous sport pays best? That's not right...
I have no idea exactly how things work but whoever pays out all of that money must be getting a great return. Golf must have great fans/sponsors that pay out all of that cash.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #2698
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Well it works for Golf because it's a rich-people's sport used to market products that appeal to wealthy people... so I´m not surprised at all.

So I´m not wondering why, I´m just saying it is not right.

My Tennis Photo Database

Twitter
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #2699
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Eh, isn't it more obscene how poorly real heroes like firefighters and soldiers are paid? Shit, there are plenty of veterans who come back home and are forced to live in poverty. The sad reality is that in a capitalist society guys who excel at driving cars around in circles and hitting tiny balls with a club are more valuable than just about everyone else.
You're right about the sleazy materialism of capitalist societies,but communists and fascists--almost without fail--are merely hypocrites by comparison.Whether it's the PRC,Soviet Russia,Nazi Germany or even dirt-poor Cuba,there are loads of examples where the 'hero of the state' received numerous huge privileges that anonymous poor farmers would never,ever get

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Soccer=the RCC and Islam in terms of brainwashed,mindless fanatics who'll kill and maim for their stupid religion
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 10:39 AM   #2700
country flag Crockett

Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Please forgive my topographical ignorance,but do you have a lot of lakes,streams and standing water in your country??If so,then you probably have lots of mosquitoes,too;they're known for being drawn to such moist areas,and they're apparently not chased away by the cold.Fortunately,they're not as swift as other bugs and are easier to kill...btw,only the females bite,in case you weren't aware
Denmark has plenty of mosquitoes, but they are mostly just annoying. I probably get bitten by mosquitoes in Denmark between 50 and 100 times a year, but then I spend a lot of time outdoors in the woods. Still, there are no mosquitoes November through March.

Much more annoying, and also somewhat hazardous to your health, is the castor bean tick (Ixodes ricinus). I have caught Lyme disease from a tick bite, which was cured by antibiotics. All of this is a sneaky way to fold the thread back to tennis: Samantha Stosur was away from tennis for quite a while a few years a ago due to Lyme disease.