On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 165 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #2461
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro:Off-topic 4 the POPULAR #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Eh, Roddick has been to five slam finals, losing four of them to Federer (3 Wimbledons and one US Open). Is it a sure thing that but for Federer Roddick would have won at least one of those finals? No, but it sure seems likely that he would have.

Look at Federer and clay. He is probably one of the greatest clay court players the sport has ever seen but he will not be remembered as such because of the dominance of Nadal. Federer made five French Open finals and the only time he won was when he did not have to face Nadal. How many of those finals would Roger have won if he was facing someone other than Nadal?
(Edited my post above,btw)Again,that's flawed logic,DIAH;Fed is respected as a great clay-court player because he not only won RG but he has kicked Nadal's ass in Madrid in front of his 'home crowd' and had other clay wins over Rafa.That's why we can distinguish that Fed's losses are attributable to Rafa's excellence on clay

RodDickhead has no such credibility;he's closer to the ATP #100 than he is to the Triumvirate in terms of championship mettle.I could use your same logic and argue that Dinara would've been a Slam champion if it hadn't been for Serena,but that's no more than hopeful speculation from me as her fan.Once more,you have no basis at all for assuming that one of the players Fed eliminated wouldn't have kicked AR's ass in those finals.As I recall,he was only highly competitive in ONE of those four losses.

My theory is that tennis players are usually weaker than other athletes largely because so many of them are spoiled rich kids who've been catered to their whole lives.Whenever adversity comes,mommy and daddy hire a big-name lawyer to fix any family problems.Therefore,they don't know how to handle it when they're on their own,on court,if things turn against them.There are exceptions--players known for their mental toughness,yet they stand out starkly from the crowd as rare birds.RodDickhead is known as a pure,uncut asswipe by American officials,and I know this b/c I had a female acquaintance who was a line judge and umpire some years ago.When some one makes a call that AR doesn't like,it's as if he/she stole from him or committed some heinous crime.He badly loses Slam finals cuz he's WEAK(like Dinara is)...if Fed hadn't stopped him,then someone else would have

Rafa's first Slam final vs. Fed(as a 17-year-old) :Win
JMDP's first Slam final vs. Fed(down 2 sets to love) :Win
Roddickhead's career Slam finals vs. Fed: ZERO wins(0-4)
CASE CLOSED

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?

Last edited by bruce goose : Sep 15th, 2011 at 05:37 PM.
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #2462
country flag postalblowfish

postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro:Off-topic 4 the POPULAR #1

Were it not for Federer, Roddick's final opponents (assuming Fed lost in an earlier round but kept his #1 ranking for the sake of the draw) would have been:

2004 Wimbledon - Sébastien Grosjean (10)
2005 Wimbledon - Lleyton Hewitt (3)
2006 USO - Nikolay Davydenko (7)
2009 Wimbledon - Tommy Haas (24)

Personally I think he woulda won the lot.
postalblowfish is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #2463
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalblowfish View Post
Were it not for Federer, Roddick's final opponents (assuming Fed lost in an earlier round but kept his #1 ranking for the sake of the draw) would have been:

2004 Wimbledon - Sébastien Grosjean (10)
2005 Wimbledon - Lleyton Hewitt (3)
2006 USO - Nikolay Davydenko (7)
2009 Wimbledon - Tommy Haas (24)

Personally I think he woulda won the lot.
See the edit in my post above....Rafa beat Fed the first time they played in a Slam final...as did JMDP...the fact that Roddickhead has NEVER done so defines him as a LOSER.You don't see soccer players whining,'We would've won the WC if someone else had beaten Brasil for us',do you?

You also haven't factored in the OTHER players that Fed beat in those draws...who may have been playing at near-championship level but had the 'bad luck' of running into Fed

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #2464
country flag postalblowfish

postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
You also haven't factored in the OTHER players that Fed beat in those draws...who may have been playing at near-championship level but had the 'bad luck' of running into Fed
No, I haven't, but when we're discussing a hypothetical argument (i.e. Roddick is a 'loser' and that even if Federer hadn't been in those finals somebody else would have beaten him) then I can't really provide you with any concrete proof of my opinion.

However, Roddick made three grass court GS finals which demonstrates (at least to me) that he was one of the best players on that surface in the draw at the time. So, no matter who else may have got to the final in Fed's place from the 63 other players in that half of the draw, I think it's a fair assumption to make that he would have won at least one, if not more.
postalblowfish is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #2465
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalblowfish View Post
No, I haven't, but when we're discussing a hypothetical argument (i.e. Roddick is a 'loser' and that even if Federer hadn't been in those finals somebody else would have beaten him) then I can't really provide you with any concrete proof of my opinion.

However, Roddick made three grass court GS finals which demonstrates (at least to me) that he was one of the best players on that surface in the draw at the time. So, no matter who else may have got to the final in Fed's place from the 63 other players in that half of the draw, I think it's a fair assumption to make that he would have won at least one, if not more.
...But he doesn't deserve ANY of those titles because you SHOULD have to beat a great opponent to win a Slam final...and Roddickhead wasn't capable.You and the others have totally overlooked one simple premise: It's understandable when Hantuchova has an 0-10 H2H vs. Venus b/c Dani is only a DECENT player,nowhere close to great or legendary...there's a big talent gulf there.It'd be a huge surprise if Dani beat a non-injured Vee in a Slam match.....No such gulf exists between Fed and Roddickhead;he has all the God-given physical tools and talents to beat Fed...especially when he's had FOUR cracks at it...but he's a mentally-feeble punk asswipe who can't handle the psychological challenge of a legend like Fed

Gotta run to class,south polar amigo(big wave)

Old Sep 15th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #2466
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's flawed logic,Protoss,where you assume that,if Fed didn't exist,someone else wouldn't have beaten RodDickhead.The point is...if you are TRULY a champion,you find it within yourself to step up when everything is on the line.The fact that Roddickhead has pretty much always managed to lose when confronted by the greats(ZERO sets won,easy victory for Rafa on his weakest surface at this year's USO) tells you that it's a PATTERN,not 'bad luck'.For all we know,one of the players that Fed beat would've kicked Andy's swishy ass.Consider this: Is Del Potro much more talented than Andy?You'd probably agree on 'no'--and yet he beat both Nadal AND Fed in 2009,including a gutsy comeback from 2 sets down in the Final.In contrast,at the 2003 USO with the home crowd wildly cheering him on,AR beat Nalbandian in the semis and JC Ferrero in the final....BIG drop-off in level of opposition there.The fact that he's defined by his losses and NOT his wins tells you all you need to know about the spoiled,whiny puke
Roddick was fatigued going into the quarters against Nadal at the US Open. He does have some wins against Nadal including a win in Miami in 2010 and leads the head to head against Djokovic. Del Potro wasn't 2 sets to love down in the 2009 US Open final. Fed had 30-0 on his serve at 5-4 2nd set but got broken.

In 2003 Roddick lost to Fed in the Wimbledon semis. He most likely would have made it to the final without Fed and beaten Philippousis there. Roddick would likely have beaten Blake or Davydenko in the 2006 US Open final. Roddick lost in the 2007 US Open semis to Fed. He likely would made it to the final and beaten Gonzalez.

I looked at Fed's draws at the slams Roddick lost to him at and his head to heads against some possible opponents to decide which slams Roddick likely would have win.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #2467
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Roddick was fatigued going into the quarters against Nadal at the US Open.

In 2003 Roddick lost to Fed in the Wimbledon semis. He most likely would have made it to the final without Fed and beaten Philippousis there. Roddick would likely have beaten Blake or Davydenko in the 2006 US Open final. Roddick lost in the 2007 US Open semis to Fed. He likely would made it to the final and beaten Gonzalez.

I looked at Fed's draws at the slams Roddick lost to him at and his head to heads against some possible opponents to decide which slams Roddick likely would have win.
excuses,excuses....Read the other post above: Roddickhead has the TALENT to have beaten Fed in at least ONE of those finals,but he couldn't get it done because he's a pussy who has no heart!!Gotta run

Old Sep 15th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #2468
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
excuses,excuses....Read the other post above: Roddickhead has the TALENT to have beaten Fed in at least ONE of those finals,but he couldn't get it done because he's a pussy who has no heart!!Gotta run
Sigh. Roddick's record against Federer outside of slam finals is 2-16.

Roddick's overall record against Djokovic, Murray, or Nadal is a lot better than against Fed. It's just a really bad matchup.

Sanchez-Vicario was 2-18 against Hingis. Does that make her a coward and lacking heart?
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #2469
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

I would just like to say that if you told me in September, 2003 that I would ever be defending Andy Roddick you promptly would have had the taste slapped out of your mouth. My, how time changes one's opinions.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #2470
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

We could probably also throw Hewitt's name in as someone who almost certainly would have had greater success at the slams if not for Federer. Early on (2000-2003) Lleyton had the upper hand (7-2) but after that Roger won the next fifteen in a row until he somewhat inexplicably lost to Lleyton in the final in Halle, 2010.

Old Sep 15th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #2471
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Roddick's overall record against Djokovic, Murray, or Nadal is a lot better than against Fed. It's just a really bad matchup.

Sanchez-Vicario was 2-18 against Hingis. Does that make her a coward and lacking heart?
.....the moral of the story is that Bruce doesn't like Roddick - that's all.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #2472
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

I don't go a lot on the woulda coulda arguments. You can go round all day on what might happen. But calling Roddick a loser and weak and a cward because he isn't as good as Federer and Nadal - two of the greatest players ever - is insulting and not fair.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Sep 15th, 2011 at 09:29 PM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #2473
country flag bruce goose

Quote:

@terjw: He IS as good,tennis talent-wise,as Fed and Nadal,but they're much stronger and committed than he is...so they rightfully dominate him.I insult him b/c he's a P.O.S who's a perfect poster boy for why Americans are hated almost worldwide.You may have skipped over one of the previous posts: Aye KNOW people who have known him...NOT outspoken harsh types like myself,but an easygoing gal who doesn't have an unkind word to say about ANYone,so I don't speak from ignorance when I call AR a waste-of-life punk

@Chrissie-Fan: I've never pretended otherwise

As for you,Protoss,you're a very pleasant,well-mannered person here and a credit to our Caro forum(more so than AYE am),so it's NOT my purpose to attack you personally.

Having said that,some of your analogies are atrocious---comparing ASV to RodDickhead??Arantxa has won multiple Slams and has excelled at the top on more than one surface.Her career includes more than one Slam final win against possibly the greatest female player EVER,and she has a winning W/L record vs. the WS despite facing them when she was past her prime.Her H2H vs. Hingis is an obvious aberration in contrast with the rest of her career...and even many Martina fans might admit that the record might very well be MUCH closer had Martina faced ASV in her youth

You can't seriously expect me to respect a winning W-L vs. MURRAY as if it were equal to a solid record vs. the Elite Three,nor are you being intellectually honest when you refer to matches vs. Djokovic.ANYone would agree that Nole didn't really join Fed and Rafa,status-wise,until this year....Has Asswipe Andy been even REMOTELY competitive vs. Nole in 2011??I'd be shocked if he had

I don't know if you're ducking the real issue or if your flag-waving pride is hurt because 'Andrea' is Fed's mentally-soft bitch(thus keeping you in denial)....So let me spell it out again: NOBODY asks 'Why?' when Hantuchova has a career oh-fer vs. Venus....They might wonder why she never caught Vee on an off-day for a solitary win,but they don't expect Dani to beat her in a Slam match.In contrast,Roddickhead DOES have the ability to defeat Fed,and I've read many pieces where media scratched their heads,confused,as to why he doesn't EVER break through....so I'm not the only one who agrees that it's pitiful."It's just a bad matchup" because Fed is a TRUE champion and AR is a PUSSY who's had everything handed to him in life like many other wealthy,spoiled American athletes.He's an awesome front-runner when he can just overpower people with his serve.Yet,when he faces someone like one of the Triumvirate who can counterattack his best weapon and force him to dig down for intestinal fortitude....there's NOTHING THERE.He's had more than enough cracks at Fed,though he's a soft-ass punk who's lose a HUNDRED times if he and Fed could be genetically engineered to play that many Slam finals

Last edited by bruce goose : Sep 15th, 2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #2474
country flag DownInAHole

Bruce, this is just a guess but it seems like you have an irrational hatred of Andy Roddick. If that is true do you think you can be objective?

I think that his biggest fault is his lack of consistency. That's probably why he faded fairly quickly from the very top of the men's game. I don't think he ever really recovered from the 2004 US Open loss to Joachim Johansson. Even with how dominant Federer was in 2004 I think that Andy still thought he had a good chance to defend his title there and after he didn't his level seemed to dip a bit and Federer, Nadal and, a little later Djokovic and Murray had a solid lock on the top four ranking spots.

Still, I think you are being much too harsh on him. Even after he dropped out of the top five he still had some great runs at the slams but he was never again able to have great seasons as he did in 2003 and, to a lesser degree, 2004. This is where his lack of consistency really hurt him. He has never done well at Roland Garros but he has had deep runs at the other three slams but rarely in the same year. It's a little odd that he was never able to make a final at the Australian open, particularly during his prime years (2003-2006).

I started out hating him but now I consider myself a fan and I will be a little sad when he and the rest of his generation (Federer, Hewitt, Ferrero, Nalbandian and Davydenko) retire.

Old Sep 16th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #2475
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Bruce, this is just a guess but it seems like you have an irrational hatred of Andy Roddick. If that is true do you think you can be objective?
You pose a fair question,DIAH,except you ignore the part where I posted that I know someone who has known Roddick well.This woman is pretty much like you--not like AYe am--and she didn't use the same strong language that I do but she made it clear,in her subtle,restrained way,that he was a Pieza de Mierda who treated people like crap if they "wronged him" over a simple disputed line call....Plus we have loads of video evidence on what a no-class punk he is...so it's not 'irrational hatred'.

However,you're correct that I'm NOT truly objective here cuz Roddickhead embodies everything that's despicable about U.S. culture to me.I can picture him owning stock in a successful gun manufacturer who sells automatic weapons to our narcos...and then whining that he can't take his skank wife to Mazatlan cuz there's too much violence.I can't imagine Juarez ever getting an ATP Premier event but,if Andy ever got lost there,I'd be sorely tempted to look both ways for police...and then do some 'free dental work' on Andy

Bottom line--You're right about me,but one could still make a reasonable argument that his place in history belongs MUCH closer to the Gaudios,Hewitts,(Andres)Gomezes than it does to the Elite

Closed Thread