On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 164 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #2446
country flag Bonfire

Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro:Off-topic 4 the POPULAR #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I hope you do not mind me chiming in here but I do not think that Novak will reach double digits by the end of his career. I am of the opinion that 2011 is a once in a lifetime thing for him but who knows? A few years ago I would have said that Federer would be close to 20 slams by now. Last year it sure looked like Nadal was going to win at least a couple of slams in 2011. Shoot, go back to 2002-2003 and I think most people believed that Hewitt and Roddick would have won several slams each over the next five years or so. In 2000 Safin looked to be the dominant force in the men's game but he only managed to win one more slam. Tennis is an unpredictable game, sooner or later some new guy is going to step up and end Nadal and Djokovic's dominance like they ended Federer's.

I am a little disappointed with del Potro's comeback. I realise that he is not going to get back to where he was right away but I was hoping that by the US Open he would be much closer than he is. At the 2009 US Open he surely appeared to be on the cusp of ending Federer and Nadal's dominance, I hope that he can get back in the mix as far as winning slams is concerned.
No, I didn't mind you chiming in at all. I'm glad you did.
I love watching alot of these men's matches but I don't really follow the men's game to feel confident in trying to analyze their top players. All I here for years is Roger Domination and then Nadal Domination and this year...Novak Domination. I was curious if he would be able to hang with Rafa and Roger's legacy up to this point. I think I agree with you though because he is not a newbie just starting out and it's very likely a new guy will step and take the thrown before he reaches the double digits.
And also, tennis is very unpredictable like you said! In 2003, I really didn't feel like, for instance, Roddick would most likely go down as a one slam wonder.

W
ozniacki - Stephens - Vandeweghe
Townsend - Stosur - Kvitova
Isner - Wawrinka - Sock - Berdych - Raonic

Bonfire is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 14th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #2447
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro:Off-topic 4 the POPULAR #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenapower View Post
Hi guys , Im a new fan of Caro :P !!!
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #2448
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPRIATI420 View Post
I love watching alot of these men's matches but I don't really follow the men's game to feel confident in trying to analyze their top players. All I here for years is Roger Domination and then Nadal Domination and this year...Novak Domination. I was curious if he would be able to hang with Rafa and Roger's legacy up to this point. I think I agree with you though because he is not a newbie just starting out and it's very likely a new guy will step and take the thrown before he reaches the double digits.
And also, tennis is very unpredictable like you said! In 2003, I really didn't feel like, for instance, Roddick would most likely go down as a one slam wonder.
One thing that I am a little bummed about is that Federer was not able to carry through the momentum that it looked like he might be building at the end of last year. At the end of season championships Federer did not lose a match and had wins over Murray, Djokovic and Nadal. I was kind of hoping that he might be able to make one last big push in 2011 and maybe win a couple more slams. Having "only" made one slam final in 2011 I'm much more pessimistic about his chances of ever winning another one. Especially after he blew that 5-2 lead in the first set of the French Open final against Nadal. I would have loved for him to beat Rafa in a French Open final and that really would have cemented his position as the GOAT.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #2449
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Match was a little anti-climatic I guess but still happy Novak won. I mean I'm not a huge fan or anything but his record is so incredible this year..it's nice to see him not blow it at this point.
I'm a Fed fan myself. Too bad that he didn't win the USO. He played brilliantly, but in recent years he's developed a choking problem at big moments that he didn't use to have at his absolute peak.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #2450
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
So your a Fed fan I take it?
Here's a question. Do you think that Djokovic will surpass Nadal's slam count in the next couple years or do you think he is just having an exceptionally good season and will lose the "fire" soon?
I don't know about surpassing Nadal's slam count, but he could really dominate for the next few years if he stays hungry. Fed is only getting older and he pretty much owns Nadal. And the way Nadal plays could soon start taking a significant toll on his body as well. Murray could actually pose the biggest threat if he can sort out his mind.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #2451
country flag Bonfire

Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I don't know about surpassing Nadal's slam count, but he could really dominate for the next few years if he stays hungry. Fed is only getting older and he pretty much owns Nadal. And the way Nadal plays could soon start taking a significant toll on his body as well. Murray could actually pose the biggest threat if he can sort out his mind.
Yes, I was wondering if and when Murray would start to become a serious threat for not just getting to finals but winning slams. Watching his semi-final against Nadal was a bit painful. A guy with alot of talent but shooting himself in the foot with his own head

W
ozniacki - Stephens - Vandeweghe
Townsend - Stosur - Kvitova
Isner - Wawrinka - Sock - Berdych - Raonic

Bonfire is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #2452
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm a Fed fan myself. Too bad that he didn't win the USO. He played brilliantly, but in recent years he's developed a choking problem at big moments that he didn't use to have at his absolute peak.
Just like a certain other Swiss player
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #2453
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, I was wondering if and when Murray would start to become a serious threat for not just getting to finals but winning slams. Watching his semi-final against Nadal was a bit painful. A guy with alot of talent but shooting himself in the foot with his own head
Unless it's a match between two members of The Triumvirate,I can't watch men's tennis for more than a few minutes...it's sort of like watching men's gymnastics...you might check it out if someone from your country is about to win Gold,otherwise--CLICK!!We'll come back to that when the gals start competing

However,I've read some knowledgeable fans who state that Murray resorts to pushing in big Slam matches whenever his confidence fails him...which it apparently does frequently...so maybe his lack of spine means he doesn't deserve a Slam title.After she got to #1 and all the pressure mounted,Dinara would do the same thing and it drove me nuts sometimes....It's like,"Why can't you believe in yourself when you've managed to beat every top player at least once?"....sometimes you could almost picture her self-esteem seeping and sliding away from her during the match

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Temporary Destination 6: Another step towards what will , eventually, be the FINAL Destination
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #2454
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Unless it's a match between two members of The Triumvirate,I can't watch men's tennis for more than a few minutes...it's sort of like watching men's gymnastics...you might check it out if someone from your country is about to win Gold,otherwise--CLICK!!We'll come back to that when the gals start competing.
I love men's tennis. If forced to choose I'll choose the girls, but on most days of this USO I've watched at least one men's match from start to finish.

Quote:
However,I've read some knowledgeable fans QUOTEstate that Murray resorts to pushing in big Slam matches whenever his confidence fails him...which it apparently does frequently...so maybe his lack of spine means he doesn't deserve a Slam title.
'Pushing' is the most overused word on TF.

I think he deserves a slam. One slam final and three semis this year alone is impressive by any standard. He didn't win one yet, but there are plenty of past slam champs who probably wouldn't have gotten past todays holy trinity either. It's just very, very hard for anyone else to win one because those top three guys really play tennis from another planet.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #2455
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblue101 View Post
Just like a certain other Swiss player
She's still a legend though.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #2456
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
'Pushing' is the most overused word on TF.

I think he deserves a slam. One slam final and three semis this year alone is impressive by any standard. He didn't win one yet, but there are plenty of past slam champs who probably wouldn't have gotten past todays holy trinity either. It's just very, very hard for anyone else to win one because those top three guys really play tennis from another planet.
Though I don't totally disagree with you,I'm gonna give you another perspective.You prob'ly don't watch the NFL,but I'm a big Baltimore Ravens fan.We have fierce rivalries with every team in our division,but two of those teams--the Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers--are older franchises and have hated each other for decades...partly due to geographical proximity.

The Steelers are a superb franchise that's won multiple Super Bowls,and the Browns SUCK...and I don't mean that they suck just a little bit.They play twice a year and Pitt. usually wins yet,no matter how lousy they might be,the Browns occasionally 'man up' and find a way to beat the Steelers-sometimes even in crucial games where Pitt. needs a victory...that's what makes Murray and Verdasco--who are two of MANY--so pathetic,IMO(isn't FV like 0-36 H2H vs. Nadal?).Those two guys are FAR more talented than the clown-college Browns,yet you could bet your life savings that they'll roll over passively,98% of the time,in Slam matches vs. The Triumvirate.US HCs are Rafa's weakest surface by a long shot,and Murray couldn't even make it close...couldn't take a set.Del Potro is no legend by any means;however he 'manned up' and broke through in 2009.You're right that there've been some unremarkable Slam champs(Hewitt and Gaudio in the ATP and Ivanovic in the WTA).Still,though this might sound caveman-ish...you have to reach down inside and show you're a man at some point,and the ATP is filled with weak men(see sig below) whom you wouldn't want backing you up in an alley fight.The gap between Nole,Rafa,Fed and the rest of the ATP Top 10 is actually greater than the gap between #4 and #104

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Temporary Destination 6: Another step towards what will , eventually, be the FINAL Destination

Last edited by bruce goose : Sep 15th, 2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #2457
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeisukeHonda View Post
This is not as easy as it sounds.

Even Federer acted like a whiny bitch yesterday.
Unfortunately Fed is often a sore loser.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #2458
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So your a Fed fan I take it?
Here's a question. Do you think that Djokovic will surpass Nadal's slam count in the next couple years or do you think he is just having an exceptionally good season and will lose the "fire" soon?
Quote:
To a certain extent. I don't care much about the atp.

I kind of think it's an exceptionally good season. I think he'll end up with 8 to 10 slams. Nadal will probably win a couple of more French Opens and another Wimbledon.

If not for Fed, Roddick wouldn't be a one slam wonder.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #2459
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
If not for Fed, Roddick wouldn't be a one slam wonder.
That's flawed logic,Protoss,where you assume that,if Fed didn't exist,someone else wouldn't have beaten RodDickhead.The point is...if you are TRULY a champion,you find it within yourself to step up when everything is on the line.The fact that Roddickhead has pretty much always managed to lose when confronted by the greats(ZERO sets won,easy victory for Rafa on his weakest surface at this year's USO) tells you that it's a PATTERN,not 'bad luck'.For all we know,one of the players that Fed beat would've kicked Andy's swishy ass.Consider this: Is Del Potro much more talented than Andy?You'd probably agree on 'no'--and yet he beat both Nadal AND Fed in 2009,including a gutsy comeback from 2 sets down in the Final.In contrast,at the 2003 USO with the home crowd wildly cheering him on,AR beat Nalbandian in the semis and JC Ferrero in the final....BIG drop-off in level of opposition there.The fact that he's defined by his losses and NOT his wins tells you all you need to know about the spoiled,whiny puke

Last edited by bruce goose : Sep 15th, 2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #2460
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
That's flawed logic,Protoss,where you assume that,if Fed didn't exist,someone else wouldn't have beaten RodDickhead.The point is...if you are TRULY a champion,you find it within yourself to step up when everything is on the line.The fact that Roddickhead has pretty much always managed to lose when confronted by the greats(ZERO sets won,easy victory for Rafa on his weakest surface at this year's USO) tells you that it's a PATTERN,not 'bad luck'.Beating Juan Carlos Ferrero in a HC Slam final(2003 USO) is sort of like beating Dinara in a Slam--not what you'd call stop-the-presses stuff.If he'd beaten him on CLAY,then I'd have respected that.For all we know,one of the players that Fed beat would've kicked Andy's swishy ass.Consider this: Is Del Potro much more talented than Andy?You'd probably agree on 'no'--and yet he beat both Nadal AND Fed in 2009,including a gutsy comeback from 2 sets down in the Final
Eh, Roddick has been to five slam finals, losing four of them to Federer (3 Wimbledons and one US Open). Is it a sure thing that but for Federer Roddick would have won at least one of those finals? No, but it sure seems likely that he would have.

Look at Federer and clay. He is probably one of the greatest clay court players the sport has ever seen but he will not be remembered as such because of the dominance of Nadal. Federer made five French Open finals and the only time he won was when he did not have to face Nadal. How many of those finals would Roger have won if he was facing someone other than Nadal?

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread