Comments For Photographers - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 9th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #1
country flag Shooter

Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future
Comments For Photographers

Just got back from shooting the qualies at Indian Wells. There have been changes at The Tennis Garden which impact amateur photographers. Though you still have to give em props for letting us shoot with DSLRs and interchangeable lenses.

Access to practice courts gets a little more restricted every year. A couple of walkways that used to be open to the general public have been blocked off. New bleachers have been added around the outer match courts which also block off walkways. On the plus side, the bleachers provide unusual vantage points onto neighboring courts for those of you with enough energy to lug your equipment up to the top row. The sides and back of the bleachers are covered with green curtains which can be used for clean backgrounds if you pick the right camera angles.

For those of you who like to sit behind the umpire in the first or second row (a popular spot), there are some of new problems. You know those tables behind the umpire's chair right up against the first row? Some of those tables are higher than they used to be. This can cut into your line of sight. To make matters worse, they are putting microphones on those tables to pick up ambient court noise. The mikes definitely take away camera angles I used to use. How about putting those mikes somewhere inside the umpire's chair?

Finally, didn't ball boys/girls used to kneel down around the net? They were not doing that during the qualies, which was a major pain in the butt. It's hard enough trying to get shots without ball boys and linemen in the background. Now we have to steer around them in the foreground too.

Hopefully some of the pro photographers will complain about some of this stuff.
Indian Wells is still the best tournament I've been to for amateur tennis photography.
Shooter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 9th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #2
country flag Yellow Moon

Yellow Moon has much to be proud of Yellow Moon has much to be proud of Yellow Moon has much to be proud of Yellow Moon has much to be proud of Yellow Moon has much to be proud of Yellow Moon has much to be proud of Yellow Moon has much to be proud of Yellow Moon has much to be proud of Yellow Moon has much to be proud of Yellow Moon has much to be proud of Yellow Moon has much to be proud of
Re: Comments For Photographers

a thorough and practical analysis! As a non-photographer but an avid viewer, I surely can relate to the issues! By the way, as an Iveta fan, can I ask you to snap-and-post some pics of her!?
Yellow Moon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #3
country flag Jeff

Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute

Are you still able to sit on the cement steps at the practice courts?

Jeff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #4
country flag Shooter

Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Moon View Post
a thorough and practical analysis! As a non-photographer but an avid viewer, I surely can relate to the issues! By the way, as an Iveta fan, can I ask you to snap-and-post some pics of her!?
I like shooting Iveta. She is very photogenic. However, I think my shooting is done for this year and I only shot qualies. So I didn't get any of Iveta.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #5
country flag Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Yes - at least for the qualies. They are also still letting you into SOME of the areas between practice courts that are at court level. Those are the areas with little benches covered by roofs (nice for shade). There are low fences (waist high) that separate those areas from the court. Players exit those courts through gates in the fences. It's a popular place to get autographs. Must say that all the WTA and ATP players I saw were very nice about signing autographs, taking pictures, etc. The coaches impressed me too with the way they dealt with the public.

I took a 300mm prime lens and found that it was longer than I needed. 200mm would have been better.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #6
country flag Jeff

Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Yes - at least for the qualies. They are also still letting you into SOME of the areas between practice courts that are at court level. Those are the areas with little benches covered by roofs (nice for shade). There are low fences (waist high) that separate those areas from the court. Players exit those courts through gates in the fences. It's a popular place to get autographs. Must say that all the WTA and ATP players I saw were very nice about signing autographs, taking pictures, etc. The coaches impressed me too with the way they dealt with the public.

I took a 300mm prime lens and found that it was longer than I needed. 200mm would have been better.
Ok great to hear. Indian Wells is definitely the best fan-friendly tournament I know of.

Old Mar 10th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #7
country flag urklerlay

urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future

Shooter - Thanks for the update!

Twitter
2013 US OPEN
Flickr
urklerlay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #8
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think so.
Just don't go near Shvedova (eh, she lost the singles, right?)

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #9
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
eh, no. In fact, I think WTA players aren't that more 'accommodating' compared to ITF players (of course Peers is another case ) I did ask Halep yesterday but after the encounter with Shvedova and Riske am quite discouraged about asking a simple face pic..

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #10
country flag Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
... I think WTA players aren't that more 'accommodating' compared to ITF players (of course Peers is another case ) I did ask Halep yesterday but after the encounter with Shvedova and Riske am quite discouraged about asking a simple face pic..
Guess you have to be careful about who, and when you approach. I don't usually bug them. But I can tell you that I saw Bartoli and Johansson being quite nice to fans.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #11
country flag Melange

Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok great to hear. Indian Wells is definitely the best fan-friendly tournament I know of.
What features will make a tournament fan-friendly?
Melange is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #12
country flag Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
What features will make a tournament fan-friendly?

Well in my case, I just mean the ability to be so close to the players. There are so many practice courts there, and most of those courts are completely open (no fencing etc.). You can also sit on the sunk-in steps that a lot of the courts have. There is also a grass area where players exercise/play soccer etc. and it's just a very casual open environment.

Old Mar 11th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #13
country flag Melange

Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute

It is a really good setting for a tournament. I could imagine the environment helps the players relax a bit, being away from the city.

Im trying to estimate how fan-friendly the Aus Open is. It seems quite relaxed, particularly on qualifying weekend. Theres hardly any security. You can just walk around watching practice and theres not a large amount of people so the players dont get bothered much. I didnt notice anyone getting turned down by players, whilst people at IW were saying some of the players did not want to be photographed.
Melange is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #14
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
Guess you have to be careful about who, and when you approach. I don't usually bug them. But I can tell you that I saw Bartoli and Johansson being quite nice to fans.
of course I'm careful. I'm not a 'bugger' either I don't even watch practices long, a mere 2 minutes and I already get bored and move on (prefer matches)
that's why I was so disappointed.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #15
country flag Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
... I don't even watch practices long, a mere 2 minutes and I already get bored and move on (prefer matches)
I like watching both matches and practice sessions. Matches are better for photography because the players have more intensity on their face, they are dress nicer, and match courts usually have better backdrops than practice courts. If you want to get a picture of a player smiling, the practice court is the place to go. I actually like seeing what type of drills they do, and how they interact with their coaches. There's a lot of bitching going on from player to coach. Sometimes I feel sorry for those coaches.

Have you noticed a change in attire on the practice courts? They are dressing more conservatively than they used to. A year or 2 ago you'd see guys hitting without a shirt and women wearing these tiny, butt hugging, shorts. I kinda liked it. This year every guy I saw had a shirt on, and all the ladies wore loose gym shorts. Wonder if that was something dictated by the tours?