Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 4 - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #46
country flag WozLolz

WozLolz has a brilliant future WozLolz has a brilliant future WozLolz has a brilliant future WozLolz has a brilliant future WozLolz has a brilliant future WozLolz has a brilliant future WozLolz has a brilliant future WozLolz has a brilliant future WozLolz has a brilliant future WozLolz has a brilliant future WozLolz has a brilliant future
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 4

Tomorrow is a great time to eliminate that goose egg in the Wozniacki-Jankovic head to head. Come on, Caroline!!!
Advertisement

Old Feb 18th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #47
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Go practice that forehand Caro.

Jankovic regularly picked on that forehand in their last match (the 2010 Indian Wells final).
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #48
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

If Caro wins a set she wins the match. I don't see JJ winning 3 3-sets matches in 3 days against one of the most fit players on tour. And yes, JJ will likely play to Caro's FH a great deal. Caro needs to find some of that FH sharpness she showed late last season. And I really hope Caro won't experiment too much on her serve tomorrow but just fire off loads of +170 kmh serves! JJ wasn't scary good today or yesterday, both Stosur and Kanepi fed her tons of errors. She isn't as sharp from the baseline as she once was. If only Caro keeps enough depth on her shots to prevent JJ from stepping into the court regularly I don't see the Serb hurting Caro too often. Long points and a long match is to Caro's advantage, but she also needs to fire off a fair deal of winners to make JJ nervous and prevent her confidence from rising too high. A JJ who really believes in herself is dangerous.
I'm excited to see what tactics Piotr might come up with.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #49
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

So she's back to number one and in the semis for the first time here. Great!

I just hope that her match against JJ is a good one.

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #50
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

So any comments on the match from Caro & or Piotr?
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #51
country flag Protoss

I’m gonna be pretty disappointed and frustrated if Caro loses to Jankovic tomorrow.

Caro has been the better player from 2009 on. Yet if Caro loses tomorrow she'll have gone 0-3 against Jankovic during this period. In addition, Jankovic has played 2 long matches on back to back days.

If Caro can't beat Jankovic now, then when?

Most of the top 20 besides Caro have beaten Jankovic.

I'm wondering when Caro will stop being owned by players like Jankovic, Li, Martinez Sanchez, and others. For a top 5 player let alone the world #1 there are way too many players that she can't beat.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #52
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I'm wondering when Caro will stop being owned by players like Jankovic, Li, Martinez Sanchez, and others. For a top 5 player let alone the world #1 there are way too many players that she can't beat.
It's rather coincidental or random IMO. I'm aware that the H2H-statistics are important among the press and the fans, and not least among the players themselves, but we must also remember that the best tennis players don't play against each other very often. No players are in a continually good form for 10 months, so a lot of the results depends on having a good or bad day. Then there's the various courts, surfaces, and climates (and weathers) which can be deciding factors in any match, or certainly be advantageous to one of the players. And the most important factor is probably experience. We often talk about Caro as if she's been around forever, but she hasn't. She's really inexperienced compared to, say, Na Li, Clijsters, Jankovic, and MJMS. Caro was good in 2009, but certainly not experienced, and she lacked that little 'extra' in the BIG matches (against big ooponents or at big events like the USO final). She's better now, and more experienced (yet still only 20!), and I'm sure she'll eventually get a good h2h statistic against any player.
angliru is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #53
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

What a marvellous start of the season for Caro - in spite of everything (devastating losses to Cibulkova and Na Li, new racket, and the so-called pressure of being #1)! She's rarely in good form in January and February but her SF at AO was by far her best January result ever. And now her SF in Dubai is her best February result ever (her previous best February result was a Final in Memphis but a SF in Dubai must be better - both regarding ranking and prize money). Yet, Caro's game doesn't seem on par with her 2010 fall season. It's really weird, but I'm not complaining.

She could win this tournament, but I don't think she will. She doesn't seem as consitently convincing as when she won those 5 tournaments in a span of just two months in the autumn of 2010. But it's Caro, and anything can happen. She has won the past two Premier 5's, and her current winning streak at P5's is 13-0!

One last comment: I only saw Caro's match against Chakvetadze last night, and I thought Anna's collapse was quite scary. And I must admit that I'd prefer Anna to stay healthy over Caro winning the match - if those were the only options (which they're not!). But of course, Caro might still have won the match if Anna was healthy; we'll never know. We certainly can't blame Caro for the outcome. But I hope Anna is well soon.
angliru is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #54
country flag Protoss

As Brad Gilbert likes to say, "bring the gas" on the serve Caro.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #55
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Missed the match well done Caro... Anyone fancy writing a brief summery of play and how Caro's nerves were?
I'm a bit late but sure I'll return the favour of your recent recaps.

Peer started very poorly and Caroline quickly got up two breaks (3-0) before Peer briefly came alive and broke Caroline in the fourth game and then held her serve to make it 3-2 but from there Peer played very bad and Caroline finished the set 6-2.

A couple of funny things I noticed in the first set, in the sixth game (with Caroline up 3-2 30-0) Caroline thought that one of her balls went long and made a noise ("awwiiee"). She probably should have lost the point but did not. There was another point where her shot was called out and Kader Nouni immediately corrected the call and the point was replayed. Maybe it's just me but I thought it was funny that Kader was taking care of Caroline so well.

Caroline quickly got up 4-0 in the second mostly due to Peer's poor play (ooo, alliteration) before Peer held at 4-1 and broke for 4-2. Caroline then broke again (5-2) and it looked like she was going to serve the match out but she was broken (5-3) and then Peer held (5-4) before Caroline was able to serve the match out (6-4). The last game was somewhat nerve wracking as it went to deuce a couple of times.

The general feeling amongst us on the live scoring thread was that we were happy Caroline won the match but slightly annoyed that she almost let Peer back into the second set. It's very difficult to judge how Caroline was playing because Peer really had long patches where she was playing quite poorly and making lots of bad errors. Caroline does have a tired Jankovic tomorrow so she should be able to get her first win against her and sneak into the final but I think most people would agree that so far Caroline has not played her best tennis.

There were no racket tosses but there was one of Caroline's "ball kicks." For photographic evidence see the picture thread.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)

Last edited by DownInAHole : Feb 18th, 2011 at 09:04 PM.
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #56
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post

Peer started very poorly and Caroline quickly got up two breaks (3-0) before Peer briefly came alive and broke Caroline in the fourth game and then held her serve to make it 3-2 but from there Peer played very bad and Caroline finished the set 6-2.

A couple of funny things I noticed in the first set, in the sixth game (with Caroline up 3-2 30-0) Caroline thought that one of her balls went long and made a noise ("awwiiee"). She probably should have lost the point but did not. There was another point where her shot was called out and Kader Nouni immediately corrected the call and the point was replayed. Maybe it's just me but I thought it was funny that Kader was taking care of Caroline so well.

Caroline quickly got up 4-0 in the second mostly due to Peer's poor play (ooo, alliteration) before Peer held at 4-1 and broke for 4-2. Caroline then broke again (5-2) and it looked like she was going to serve the match out but she was broken (5-3) and then Peer held (5-4) before Caroline was able to serve the match out (6-4). The last game was somewhat nerve wracking as it went to deuce a couple of times.

The general feeling amongst us on the live scoring thread was that we were happy Caroline won the match but slightly annoyed that she almost let Peer back into the second set. It's very difficult to judge how Caroline was playing because Peer really had long patches where she was playing quite poorly and making lots of bad errors. Caroline does have a tired Jankovic tomorrow so she should be able to get her first win against her and sneak into the final but I think most people would agree that so far Caroline has not played her best tennis.

There were no racket tosses but there was one of Caroline's "ball kicks." For photographic evidence see the picture thread.
Good summary.

I would just like to add something on the last 2 points of the match when Shahar had got it back to 5-4 and with Caro having to serve again for the match. We were all very nervous. Caro had got the score back to deuce. Then she hit a really good and brave second serve close to or touching the side line taking Shahar out wide to get to MP. And on MP itself she hit a good approach shot getting a weak return and was the calmest among us as she volleyed it away in the open space.

With all the pressure and the nerves we all had at the end - they were two perfect points so coolly played to end it. And they were won - not gifted with an UE. It almost erased from my mind all that had happeed from Caro being 5-2 up

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #57
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Good summary.

I would just like to add something on the last 2 points of the match
Cheers guys,

I guess she still has a little way to go in being fully confident with her new kit... That probably exaggerates things at tense moments. Certainly we have seen some pleasing new plays from her so far this year.. I guess we just have to be patient for them to be the norm and all the parts to click... Getting the first big win out the way will surely help a lot.
Burisleif is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #58
country flag VasVas

VasVas has much to be proud of VasVas has much to be proud of VasVas has much to be proud of VasVas has much to be proud of VasVas has much to be proud of VasVas has much to be proud of VasVas has much to be proud of VasVas has much to be proud of VasVas has much to be proud of VasVas has much to be proud of VasVas has much to be proud of

Im sure this has been discussed before, but dont you guys think her top is a little bit revealing..? Not that i complain but i was literally checking her breasts everytime camera zooms to her
Johanna Larsson - Yanina Wickmayer - Petra Kvitova

Julia Goerges - Urszula Radwanska
http://www.passingshotblog.com/
VasVas is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #59
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VasVas View Post
Im sure this has been discussed before, but dont you guys think her top is a little bit revealing..? Not that i complain but i was literally checking her breasts everytime camera zooms to her
Eh, it seems fairly modest to me. Did you see Kvitova at the Australian Open? Mucho cleavage.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #60
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VasVas View Post
You're not alone ...

Great win today. Vs active former #1 (this obviously just to say to the idiots in GM) .. Vs JJ ..Never won Vs her before and more ranking points for the real #1

and such a goat come-back in the 1st set. Super.

They mentioned on British ES, Caro's FH speed was up 8kmh Vs previous rounds. It was nice to see her using a more flattened out FH at times. It worked wonders!

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread