I Dont Understand College tennis, Help? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 12th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #1
country flag IMPOSSIBLE
. . .

IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute
I Dont Understand College tennis, Help?

I find US college tennis so confusing but it something I would like to follow, as lots of the Swedish players I know are in teams.

What is the basic structure, when I look on schedules of some teams there seems to be different sections of the season like 'ITA Kick off Weekend', does all these different parts of the season come together and form the team rankings?

A player gets a ranking like #44 if they play invitational events rather than than the team matches agaisnt other colleges correct?

What does the term PAC-10 mean, the top ten teams?

Thanks
IMPOSSIBLE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 12th, 2011, 03:36 AM   #2
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: I Dont Understand College tennis, Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
I find US college tennis so confusing but it something I would like to follow, as lots of the Swedish players I know are in teams.

What is the basic structure, when I look on schedules of some teams there seems to be different sections of the season like 'ITA Kick off Weekend', does all these different parts of the season come together and form the team rankings?

A player gets a ranking like #44 if they play invitational events rather than than the team matches agaisnt other colleges correct?

What does the term PAC-10 mean, the top ten teams?

Almost forgot,
League structure. There is final tournament that moves from place to place, and will be held this year in Palo Alto, at the Stanford Campus. The format of the tournament is 64 teams are allowed in, but only 16 teams travel to the National Championship in May.

. There are very confusing rules on how those 64 teams are entered, and usually, there is some small controversy over 2 or 3 of teams, not being allowed in, and some seeming more deserving not getting in.

These team compete in regional tournaments. four teams per site. and the team that wins the regional tournament travels to the National event.

The national event takes one week. The following week there is an individual tournament.

Thanks
Okay, Lots of questions. Let me tryl

In the Fall, the teams play mostly as individuals. Those Fall tournaments set the baseline for a player's rankings. But don't over believe the fall rankings. There are sometimes weird results.

Then once the team season starts, and that is what we care the most about, the matches played for the team also count for the player's individual ranking. So if Goransonn is playing four, to improve her ranking, she mostly has to have wins over other ranked players. And if she is playing four, there are a limited number of teams where the opponent will have a ranked player in the #4 spot.

The Pac-10, is an abbreviation for a sports conference. The conferences are more made for football and the big money sports, and tennis has to tag along. So Pac stands for Pacific, and 10 meaning 10 Universities. So there are 10 big Universities in the Pac-10, that are on the Pacific side of the US.

But that will be changing, To make more money by television contracts for football, the Pac-10 is expanding to the Pac-12. It will include, I believe, Colorado and Utah. Teams that are not normally associated with the Pacific.

But those things happen in football conference realignments.

Welcome to the women college tennis forum. We will like to hear your points of view.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #3
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

I almost forgot how the national championship is determined.

In May each year, a tournament is held for 64 teams. The setup is a various regional two day tournaments with four teams each, and the winning 16 teams traveling to the National event. This year the sweet 16 National event is held in Palo Alto, California at Stanford.

After the team event is completed, at the same site they hold an individual tournament./
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #4
country flag IMPOSSIBLE
. . .

IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Thanks