Do you think "Harlem NY" is still the "Capital of Black America"? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 5th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #1
country flag JUSTICE4ALL

JUSTICE4ALL has much to be proud of JUSTICE4ALL has much to be proud of JUSTICE4ALL has much to be proud of JUSTICE4ALL has much to be proud of JUSTICE4ALL has much to be proud of JUSTICE4ALL has much to be proud of JUSTICE4ALL has much to be proud of JUSTICE4ALL has much to be proud of JUSTICE4ALL has much to be proud of JUSTICE4ALL has much to be proud of JUSTICE4ALL has much to be proud of
Do you think "Harlem NY" is still the "Capital of Black America"?

I say Harlem's time has passed... I think without a doubt Atlanta is def the new capital of Black America!.

JUSTICE4ALL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 5th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #2
country flag ampers&
Senior Bitch.

ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you think "Harlem NY" is still the "Capital of Black America"?

It was Washington, D.C after it was Harlem. But D.C. is so gentrified now that it's unrecognizable to how it was in the past (both good and bad). So I guess ATL is the next choice. It's a cool city.
ampers& is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 03:49 AM   #3
country flag Gdsimmons

Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute

You know there are now Tour buses rolling through Harlem as if its freakin Hollywood or something?? I found that so strange. Tour buses rolling down streets just filled wit either brownstones or apartment buildings. So weird. Harlem is slowly but surely being gentrified just like every other piece of Manhattan real estate. Its crazy to me that places that used to be the hood , now have 'trendy restaurants' and freakin STARBUCKS!! It'll be like project buldings then right next to it is like a 'hot new restaurant' then a Starbucks and then back to projects. Its such a weird juxtaposition.

I dont know what exactly is the Capital of Black America anymore. Harlem is still very urban to this day, just has more gentrified areas. As does Jamaica Queens and DC. I guess you can say that Atlanta is the Capital of Black America. But it all depends on who you talk to. Atlanta has a whole different mentality than both NYC and DC. And not every black person can identify with it
Gdsimmons is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #4
country flag kiwifan

kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute

Harlem's time passed back when rock n roll took over for jazz...I think it has been Atlanta since the days of MLK Jr. and that has only gotten bigger since then. Atlanta can be a little snobby in places (my dad was a big deal at Morehouse back in da day) but across the board life long resident or transplant I think the ATL has more happening for Black America than anywhere else.
kiwifan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 04:50 AM   #5
country flag ampers&
Senior Bitch.

ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdsimmons View Post
You know there are now Tour buses rolling through Harlem as if its freakin Hollywood or something?? I found that so strange. Tour buses rolling down streets just filled wit either brownstones or apartment buildings. So weird. Harlem is slowly but surely being gentrified just like every other piece of Manhattan real estate. Its crazy to me that places that used to be the hood , now have 'trendy restaurants' and freakin STARBUCKS!! It'll be like project buldings then right next to it is like a 'hot new restaurant' then a Starbucks and then back to projects. Its such a weird juxtaposition.
This is what kills me about D.C. The neighborhood I'm in now is unrecognizable EXCEPT for the HUGE housing project right in the center of all the new gentrified businesses. Constant shootings and gang violence there, but just outside tons of white people walking around like it's the suburbs. The police have tried to "enclose" the violence as to not bother the white people walking their dogs (not kidding). It's always insane going home to see so much change but really no change at all.
ampers& is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #6
country flag Ellen Dawson

Ellen Dawson has a brilliant future Ellen Dawson has a brilliant future Ellen Dawson has a brilliant future Ellen Dawson has a brilliant future Ellen Dawson has a brilliant future Ellen Dawson has a brilliant future Ellen Dawson has a brilliant future Ellen Dawson has a brilliant future Ellen Dawson has a brilliant future Ellen Dawson has a brilliant future Ellen Dawson has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTICE4ALL View Post
I say Harlem's time has passed... I think without a doubt Atlanta is def the new capital of Black America!.

ITA. The ATL is the new capital (and has been for the last 10-15 yrs or so). I laughed when I went to visit a friend down there about 10 yrs ago and when I saw what was considered "the hood", I was like Great seeing so many African-Americans living so well. You don't see that it enough in the media IMO.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #7
country flag slamchamp

slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute

J4a !!!

URUGUAY
slamchamp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #8
country flag Gdsimmons

Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute Gdsimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miching~Mallecho View Post
This is what kills me about D.C. The neighborhood I'm in now is unrecognizable EXCEPT for the HUGE housing project right in the center of all the new gentrified businesses. Constant shootings and gang violence there, but just outside tons of white people walking around like it's the suburbs. The police have tried to "enclose" the violence as to not bother the white people walking their dogs (not kidding). It's always insane going home to see so much change but really no change at all.
I agree. Its so weird to me when on one block you just have the projects and then directly across from that corner is a completely gentrified part. I was in Harlem the other day and there was a freakin Boutique right next to 16 building projects. I was like are you kidding me??
Gdsimmons is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #9
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Fuck Atlanta (j/k)
I hate it there. Most of the things people recognize there as proof of black advancement are superficial, theres not true progress or prosperity for most of the black people who live there.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #10
country flag delicatecutter

delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute

Real Housewives of Atlanta.

Suicide Champion: 2013 Miami; 2012 Doha; 2011 Dubai; 2010 Indian Wells, Bad Gastein; 2008 Melbourne, New Haven, Prague; 2007 Toronto
PAW Champion: 2012 Tokyo, Moscow; 2011 Roland Garros; 2010 Bali, Portoroz
TT Doubles Champion (with Djezonfly): 2012 Melbourne, 2011 Estoril
My Twitter
delicatecutter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #11
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go with Atlanta or Detroit. Even though NeNe makes me tentative to say Atlanta. Bitch is CRAZZZZZZY.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #12
country flag ptkten

ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute

Not that numbers mean much in this discussion but
Metropolitan Areas with the Largest Black Population:
1. New York 3,246,576 (16.3%)
2. Atlanta 1,657,619 (31.2%)
3. Chicago 1,540,470 (19.8%)
4. Los Angeles 1,245,039 (7.7%)
5. Washington, DC 1,024,353 (23.1%)
6. Philadelphia 1,023,425 (20.1%)
7. Houston 935,371 (15.9%)
8. Detroit 924,518 (17.4%)
9. Baltimore 703,323 (27.5%)
10. Dallas 607,457 (15.1%)

Largest Percentage among Large Metro Areas (Entire Top 10 are Southern Cities)
1. Jackson, MS 45.6% Black
2. Memphis, TN 43.5%
3. New Orleans, LA 37.5%
4. Columbia, SC 32.1%
5. Baton Rouge, LA 31.9%
6. Atlanta, GA 31.2%
7. Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA 30.9%
8. Richmond, VA 30.2%
9. Birmingham, AL 30.1%
10. Jackson, TN 29.2%

Fastest Growth (2000-2008 Actual Numbers)
1. Atlanta + 445,578
2. Dallas + 159,494
3. Houston + 151,362

By percentage, numbers, and growth I would say Atlanta is definitely the black capital of America right now.

McHale-Stephens-Watson-Robson-Townsend

Brodsky-Muhammed-Hampton-Keys-Crawford-Andrews-Hardebeck
ptkten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #13
country flag Vartan

Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute

Atlanta.

Vartan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #14
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute

Tons of black people are moving to Atlanta so I guess Atlanta is the new capital of black America, with that said I don't think Atlanta has the same cultural significance that Harlem did.

Eleven, Jamba Juice, Miami Dolphins, V*Starr Interiors ,World Team Tennis
Veelieve! Venus will rise again 2014!
Taylor Townsend / Madison Keys
NY KNICKS / TEAM MELO
winone23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #15
country flag Halepsova

Halepsova has disabled reputation

Why do they wanna move to Atlanta?