Sofa-coaching: Match Review and Discussions 2011 Edition - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 21st, 2011, 05:44 AM   #31
country flag peanuts

peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sofa-coaching: Match Review and Discussions 2011 Edition

^Thanks Chris! Good point on Flavia being a rhythm player. I think the quick losses in IW could be attributed partly to lack of match play...and her horrible record in there. There might also be the shoulder issue which I hope would be ok by Miami--another event in which she has a horrible record. Well at least in singles she does. She and Gisela have the title to defend there so it's time to focus and step up.

What's concerning about the speed issue is that Caro (it's no secret) has never been known to be a big hitter yet she was able to rack up a wicked amount of winners against Flavia.
peanuts is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 21st, 2011, 08:40 AM   #32
country flag Zamboni
Vamorza!

Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute

Flavia is definitely a rhythm player. But the scary thing about that is that when she plays too much, she breaks down (like against Caro). That's a limbo

About her footwork - she's not the fastest player on tour, but I don't think she's that slow either. She's pretty smart on the court, has good positioning, so that saves her in most matches. Except when she gets tired, footwork is the first thing to break down and IMO that constitutes the horrible scoreline.

I'm just waiting to get on clay though. I wanna see how the new, more offensive gamestyle translates there.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 10:11 AM   #33
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

i'm looking forward the same thing as Linda, a more aggressive game on clay can be both heaven and hell. We all know that clay is the perfect enemy to the net dash players, but as we saw last year MJMS could make a big damage with her various game and i think this could work as well with flavia, mostly because if she can manage to make it work well she can save more energies in the first rounds and be fresher when it matters

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 10:38 AM   #34
country flag peanuts

peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute peanuts has a reputation beyond repute

Most rhythm players suffers the same problem as Flavia. It helps though if you're as young and sturdy as Caro so you can avoid injuries.

Honestly, I'm not looking forward to the aggressive net game on clay. I do hope I'm wrong about this but for me if her first serve is off and she insists on this game plan she is toast on the net. MJMS got this kind of game going because she has a good serve especially with that lefty angle. Flavia has a well-placed first serve but she obviously does not have this lefty advantage. IIRC, MJMS also has pretty flat strokes so her approach shots does not sit up. Flavia hits with more spin especially on the FH side and on clay her shots will just bounce higher giving her opponents enough time to make a passing shot. With standard rallies on clay, it's also not that easy to pull your opponents wide to get a short reply for an approach shot. Even if you do, they have more time recover to hit the next shot.

Overall I don't think the aggressive net game would be an immediate epic fail. I just think it would take a lot of determination (expect some frustrating ownage moments at the net) and good serving to get through with this game plan. Maybe her baseline game mixed with an occasional charge in the net would help in avoiding needless protracted rallies.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM   #35
country flag chmath

chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold chmath is a splendid one to behold

^ Totally agree with your analysis Karla, btw I wish everyone a very good week! :-)
chmath is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 01:37 PM   #36
FORZA SARITA

FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post

I'm just waiting to get on clay though. I wanna see how the new, more offensive gamestyle translates there.
we have already seen her IW disaster and that's blue clay so it's not gonna be different
FORZA SARITA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 04:25 PM   #37
country flag peanuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post
About her footwork - she's not the fastest player on tour, but I don't think she's that slow either. She's pretty smart on the court, has good positioning, so that saves her in most matches. Except when she gets tired, footwork is the first thing to break down and IMO that constitutes the horrible scoreline.
Indeed her anticipation usually helps her a lot. She has more of a problem against good defensive players that she cannot outhit and who can run around the court for hours. They usually have stronger legs than her and usually in the end it's Flavia who gets worn down with all the effort it takes to win a point.

Another thing, I noticed her average speed is more obvious on forward movements than lateral ones. When she has to a chase a dropshot from behind the baseline, she just seems to lack that explosive first step which should have helped jump start her sprint towards the ball. I don't know if you noticed this as well or it's just me seeing things.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:15 PM   #38
country flag wiwa

wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all

Hi, I'm writing my thesis so I don't write a lot here. Anyway I'm pretty impressed by your contribution here - this thread was definitly worth the shot.

One last time about the Doha-match against Wozniacki. Some of you cited fatigue. Well, now seeing her shoulder tapes in IW & Miami, I blame her new "brute-force" forehand, that is a sort of "hit it like Rafa". However, Karla made me focus on her swing before the fh shot, so I collected some fh shots:
(pls don't mind the advert )

http://www.clipfish.de/video/3551477/
wiwa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #39
country flag peanuts

^Yeah definitely worth it. Some very interesting discussions in here. It's too bad you can't join the discussion here as much but it's alright, just post when you have the time. Good luck in your thesis.

I'll take a look at the vid when I get home. It's been a while since I've checked out this kind of vid. I used to watch some of these (Marat's serve & BH, Martina's BH, Roger's FH etc.) when I was still a student.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #40
country flag wiwa

wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all

^thank you Karla

I'm afraid my vid cannot compete with what you're used to
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #41
country flag peanuts

^Actually I remember most of them are not vids (except for Roger's FH). Back then Youtube or streaming video is still not a big thing. There was a site before of this some of sort of tennis guru and he was able to breakdown the technique of each players with pictures and explanation on each part of the shot. Sometimes he even compares shots of different players. Very informative stuff.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #42
country flag wiwa

from The "Flavia's not the only tennis player in the world" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
BTW, for those who watch the match did Serena played badly or Marion is going GOAT now? LOL @ her in once again beating a big fave to win Wimby.
Marion served amazingly and managed to hit deep shots on a constant level. Also she hit harder than Serena during the rallies Serena, for her part, tried to take shots early and made a step into the court. Therefore she often got off-balance when Marion placed her shots close to the base line. It lead to the strange situation that Marion dictated most of the rallies. Three or four time Serena assembled beautiful offensive tennis, but it was nothing but short flashes of her potential.

But most of all, Marion was the quicker player Lisicki definitly will be quicker than Marion, and if Lisicki can maintain a consistant serve, she will win, IMHO
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #43
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not sure about that ^ Lisicki is really a slow player on court and today she was exposed throughout the whole first set by a mediocre player like Cetkovska, which on her side had a great pace and a great placement of shots, but didn't need more than that before menally midjey

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #44
FORZA SARITA

FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute

i agree with Giulio, Sabine is not really a great mover Marion puts a lot of pressure on opponent's serves so if Sabine will have a low % of first serves she will win quite easily.
FORZA SARITA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #45
country flag wiwa

Lisicki had problems with the slippery court. Okay maybe she will not be as quick as I expected.
On the other hand, she could handle the shot-making of Na Li fairly well. And also she won last two matches against Bartoli...