What percent of the population of Israel is Arab? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 02:43 PM   #1
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
What percent of the population of Israel is Arab?

Israeli Arabs make up 20 percent of Israel's population.

Israel isn't a place I know much about so my apologies if most here already knew this. I was surprised since I haven't seen news of them playing any significant part in Israeli society. For context, the African-American population is about 12.5%
Advertisement

Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 05:51 PM   #2
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What percent of the population of Israel is Arab?

this is no news for me. their position is complicated. in israel there is some talk about the "demographic threat" from arabs who might at some point in the future become the majority. this argument is sometimes used in order to talk some sense into israeli nationalists when making a case for the two state solution.

i remember we had a thread about an israeli woman suing an arab man for rape. he was some sort of a delivery guy or something and she had consensual sex with him but only later did she discover he was an ethnic arab. she claimed this was rape since she never would have sex with an arab.
azdaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 07:57 PM   #3
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdaja View Post
this is no news for me.
Yeah I figured that might be the case for many here. I knew there were Israeli Arabs but I would have guessed that were less than 5% of the population.

As for that "rape" case -
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:23 PM   #4
country flag Nicolas

Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute Nicolas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdaja View Post
this is no news for me. their position is complicated. in israel there is some talk about the "demographic threat" from arabs who might at some point in the future become the majority. this argument is sometimes used in order to talk some sense into israeli nationalists when making a case for the two state solution.

i remember we had a thread about an israeli woman suing an arab man for rape. he was some sort of a delivery guy or something and she had consensual sex with him but only later did she discover he was an ethnic arab. she claimed this was rape since she never would have sex with an arab.
Nicolas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 03:25 AM   #5
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

While they are culturally and linguistically Arabic, ethnically they are descended from Jewish, Christian and pagan Levantine people who have lived in the area for thousands and thousands of years and were converted to Islam in the 7th Century.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 06:21 AM   #6
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe they have limited rights and their presence is looked upon as a population time bomb.
To offset the coming fear, the Israeli government encourages Jews abroad to emigrate to Israel, urge/encourage Jews , especially Ultra-Orthodox Jews, to have more children

Quote:

Arab citizens of Israel[3] are non-Jewish Israeli citizens whose cultural and linguistic heritage or ethnic identity is Arab.[4] The traditional vernacular of Arab citizens, irrespective of religion, is the Arabic language, or more precisely, the Palestinian dialect of Arabic.

Most Arab citizens of Israel are functionally bilingual, their second language being Modern Hebrew. By religious affiliation, most are Muslim, particularly of the Sunni branch of Islam. There is a significant Arab Christian minority from various denominations as well as Druze, among other religious communities. Israeli Mizrahi Jews are not considered to form part of this population.

According to Israel's Central Bureau of Statistics, the Arab population in 2010 was estimated at 1,617,000, representing 20.5% of the country's population.[5] The majority of these identify themselves as Arab or Palestinian by nationality and Israeli by citizenship.[6][7][8] Many have family ties to Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, as well as to Palestinian refugees in Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon. Negev Bedouins tend to identify more as Israelis than other Arab citizens of Israel.[9]

Most of the Arabs living in East Jerusalem and the Golan Heights, occupied by Israel in the Six-Day War of 1967 and later annexed, were offered Israeli citizenship, but most have refused, not wanting to recognize Israeli sovereignty. They became permanent residents.[10] They have the right to apply for citizenship, are entitled to municipal services, and have municipal voting rights.[11]

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_citizens_of_Israel

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #7
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
I believe they have limited rights and their presence is looked upon as a population time bomb.
Not all of them. There are also Druze Arabs who are nothing like Muslim Arabs.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:04 AM   #8
country flag pov

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
While they are culturally and linguistically Arabic, ethnically they are descended from Jewish, Christian and pagan Levantine people who have lived in the area for thousands and thousands of years and were converted to Islam in the 7th Century.
That sounds like nonsense. Ethnocentric nonsense at that. Especially since there is no differentiation made. Had it been "some are", "many are" or even "most are" perhaps my reaction would be different. I'll do some quick research.

Okay that was easy. My reaction was correct. In fact it's the opposite - they are almost all ethnically Arab. WikiP:

"In the aftermath of the 1948 war, British Mandate of Palestine was de facto divided into three parts: the State of Israel, the Jordanian-held West Bank, and the Egyptian-held Gaza Strip. Of the estimated 950,000 Arabs that lived in the territory that became Israel before the war,[26] over 80% fled or were expelled; some 156,000 remained.[27] Benny Morris says

Most of Palestine's 700,000 "refugees" fled their homes because of the flail of war (and in the expectation that they would shortly return to their homes on the backs of victorious Arab invaders). But it is also true that there were several dozen sites, including Lydda and Ramla, from which Arab communities were expelled by Jewish troops.[28]

Arab citizens of Israel are largely composed of these people and their descendants. Others include some from the Gaza Strip and the West Bank who procured Israeli citizenship under family-unification provisions that were recently made significantly more stringent.[29]
"

Beyond that Arab is not a religious identification so to say an Arab is descended from Christians is irrelevant. The thread is not about Muslims in Israel.

------------

A little more research (in favor of MM's point):
"Genetic analysis suggests that a majority of the Muslims of Palestine, inclusive of Arab citizens of Israel, are descendants of Christians, Jews and other earlier inhabitants of the southern Levant whose core may reach back to prehistoric times."

I'm definitely biased on this because I still don't buy it. The entry goes on to state that:
A study of high-resolution haplotypes demonstrated that a substantial portion of Y chromosomes of Israeli Jews (70%) and of Palestinian Muslim Arabs (82%) belonged to the same chromosome pool

Which I knew but don't interpret the same way. As far as I'm concerned if your descendants were ethnically Hebrew in 500 CE and integrated into Arabic society in 700 CE then your an Arab. To do otherwise seems both ethnocentric and ridiculous.

And once again I owe (and am paying) MM an apology. While I disagree with the point he made it was valid and rooted in some current schools of thought on the subject.

Last edited by pov : Apr 4th, 2013 at 04:20 AM.
pov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:08 AM   #9
country flag pov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys View Post
Not all of them. There are also Druze Arabs who are nothing like Muslim Arabs.
As I mentioned above the thread is about Arabs - not Muslims.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:36 AM   #10
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Since you want to use Wikipedia as a source:

From the entry on Palestinians:

"Genetic analysis suggests that a majority of the Muslims of Palestine, inclusive of Arab citizens of Israel, are descendants of Christians, Jews and other earlier inhabitants of the southern Levant whose core may reach back to prehistoric times. A study of high-resolution haplotypes demonstrated that a substantial portion of Y chromosomes of Israeli Jews (70%) and of Palestinian Muslim Arabs (82%) belonged to the same chromosome pool.[27] Since the time of the Muslim conquests in the 7th century, religious conversions have resulted in Palestinians being predominantly Sunni Muslim by religious affiliation, though there is a significant Palestinian Christian minority of various Christian denominations, as well as Druze and a small Samaritan community. Though Palestinian Jews made up part of the population of Palestine prior to the creation of the State of Israel, few identify as "Palestinian" today. Acculturation, independent from conversion to Islam, resulted in Palestinians being linguistically and culturally Arab.[15] The vernacular of Palestinians, irrespective of religion, is the Palestinian dialect of Arabic. Many Arab citizens of Israel including Palestinians are bilingual and fluent in Hebrew."

When I said "they" I was referring to Palestinians. Pretty much all "Arab" citizens of Israel are of Palestinian descent.

The term "Arab" is sort of like "Chinese." Like China, the "Arab" world consists of a wide variety of ethnic groups, including Iraqis, Syrians, Berbers, Egyptians, Bedouins, Moors, and others. It is based on culture and shared language than shared ethnicity, and different spoken dialects of Arabic can vary widely. (I'm not actually sure if the dialects are actually mutualy incomprehensible, like Chinese, but they are different).

The reason that the fact that Palestinians are descended from peoples who have lived there for thousands of years is that there are those like Newt Gingrich who claim that there is no historic presence for Arabs in Palestine and therefore they have no claim for a state.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #11
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't use Viki as a reliable source

Hug it out as long as it takes, people
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #12
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

I would use the classes I took in grad school (which said pretty much the same thing) as a reliable source.

Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #13
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute

I used viki once, a few facts were wrong and I lost a few points, i always check with another site just to be sure since then

Hug it out as long as it takes, people
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #14
country flag pov

Quote:
Since you want to use Wikipedia as a source:

From the entry on Palestinians:

"Genetic analysis suggests that a majority of the Muslims of Palestine, inclusive of Arab citizens of Israel, are descendants of Christians, Jews and other earlier inhabitants of the southern Levant whose core may reach back to prehistoric times. A study of high-resolution haplotypes demonstrated that a substantial portion of Y chromosomes of Israeli Jews (70%) and of Palestinian Muslim Arabs (82%) belonged to the same chromosome pool.[27]
I stopped there because clearly you didn't read through my post before replying. If you had you'd see that I'd posted the above and stated that - while I disagree with the conclusions of that school of thought - your point was valid.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #15
country flag M.S.F

M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously they are a second class citizens.
For example, it's extremly hard for them to obtain permits to build homes. This is just one problem out of many more.
What's intersting is that they stayed away from media attention most of the time during the conflict.

Quote:
The Palestinian identity is very important and it's also important to look at history.
This is how the map of Semitic languages in the Middle East looked like in the 1st century

The Palestinian people of all religions are of semitic origin. They could be of any descent that is native to the Levant region like Aramic, Hebrew/Jewish, Canaanite, Phoenician etc...
After converting to Islam, they went through a period of Arabization like other parts of the Middle East and North Africa.
There are some people in the Levant who trace their ethnicity to the Arabian Peninsula but they are a minority and thier grandfathers were mainly bedouins who lived in the Syrian desert and the Negev desert.