~Trinidad and Tobago Tennis: Yolande Leacock~ - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 17th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #1
country flag coetzergambill

coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of
~Trinidad and Tobago Tennis: Yolande Leacock~

Yolande Leacock from Trinidad and Tobago seems to be a promising and rising player. right now she plays itf tournaments in the united states. her highest singles ranking was no. 919 at the end of last year, right now she's ranked no. 932. i just wanted to start a platform for everybody who's interested to follow and discuss her results and post news about her. so everybody feel free to post your thoughts.
here are two older articles i found about her in the internet:

http://www.caribzones.com/trinidadte...er18-2006.html

and

"Trinidad and Tobago may hardly be a household name when it comes to the sport of tennis, but young tennis starlet Yolande Leacock has that ambition at the top of her to-do list.

Leacock, who has silently been climbing the ranks of local women's tennis, reached the local peak this year when she was not only ranked number one in singles and doubles play this year, but was also the 2005 First Citizens Sports Foundation Sportswoman of the Year nominee for the sport.

She surpassed local doubles partner Olivia Bennett as the country's leading overseas-based player last year.

The young Tobagonian edged a step closer to this goal when she achieved her first International Tennis Federation senior ranking of 1177 last month.

Leacock, like another promising local youngster, Olivia Bennett, currently based in Florida in the USA, has had an inconsistent 2006, going through a transition with a new coach in Jamaican Greg Russell.

The 15-year-old, though, already has her eyes on the prize, and with the support of her dad, George Leacock, who is also a physical education instructor, can only be on the way up.

To get her first ranking, Leacock needed to qualify for at least three tournaments with a top prize of US$ 10,000 or more. It took her just seven of these "tens" tournaments, reaching the qualifying round in four, and eventually getting success in three-- ITF tournaments in Wichita, Kansas ; Salt Lake, Texas; and Hilton Head Island in South Carolina.

Leacock, who favours playing on a hard court, has been competing on the professional circuit as an amateur, her record thus far stands at 18 wins and seven losses, and she has gotten past a South African Alicia Tillay, ranked 543 at the time.

The senior Leacock is also putting his full faith in his daughter's ability.

"I can only go by what the coaches say and so on," he told Sport Express in a recent interview.

"The president of the Jamaican Federation, who has been around tennis for over 30 years, has said that she is the player with the best opportunity that he has seen in his history of seeing players coming out of the Caribbean.

"She is the best in terms of age and athletic ability."

Yolande, though is adamant she wants to excel in her chosen field of sport, and is already thinking ahead, while admitting she still has a long way to go to fulfill her full potential.

"Right now," she explained, "I think I have to do a lot more work to get where I need to go, because I'm only 15. It's going to be a lot of hard work."

Leacock also revealed she's aiming to get into senior competition in the US Open, which will provide her with a real test of her talents.

"I want to be the number one tennis player in the world, that's my goal in tennis," she stated plainly and convincingly. And with such a huge drive toward success, it is no surprise her favourite player is men's world number one Roger Federer.

The elder Leacock expressed special gratitude to Sports and Games, and by extension Wilson International, who he said have been the only continuous source of sponsorship for Yolande.

Leacock, who returned to her Florida base on Sunday, has the possibility of a "tens" tournament before month's end, and is also looking at another pair in Guadalajara and Guarez in Mexico next month.

With such a passion for the sport and World class goals though, Yolande Leacock could likely be the name that puts T&T on the international tennis map."

Right now she's playing qualies at the 25k in Lutz. she won her first round.

Q1: Yolande Leacock def. Annie Mulholland 75 64
Q2: Yolande Leacock vs Maria-Fernanda Alves

gl in the 2nd round!

S.Asagoe Y.Basuki J.Capriati Y.Cho A.Damayanti K.Date-Krumm M.Drake S.Hsieh T.Huỳnh Phương Đi J.Jackson A.King A.Kremer Y.Leacock J.Lee N.Li M.Lucic A.Mauresmo M.Moulton-Levy A.Muhammed L.Osterloh S.Perry M.Pierce W.Prakusya N.Ramalalaharivololona D.Randriantefy Z.Razafimahatratra A.Rolle C.Rubin C.Scheepers S.Sfar A.Stevenson A.Sugiyama T.Tanasugarn M.Tu I.Tulyaganova M.Washington A.Widjaja S.Williams V.Williams J.Zheng

Last edited by coetzergambill : Jan 17th, 2011 at 12:11 AM.
coetzergambill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 18th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #2

coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of coetzergambill has much to be proud of
Re: ~Trinidad and Tobago Tennis: Yolande Leacock~

yolande playing her 2nd round qualimatch today. OOP says, if she wins, she has to play another match later that day. hope the best for you, yolande! qualify, please!

S.Asagoe Y.Basuki J.Capriati Y.Cho A.Damayanti K.Date-Krumm M.Drake S.Hsieh T.Huỳnh Phương Đi J.Jackson A.King A.Kremer Y.Leacock J.Lee N.Li M.Lucic A.Mauresmo M.Moulton-Levy A.Muhammed L.Osterloh S.Perry M.Pierce W.Prakusya N.Ramalalaharivololona D.Randriantefy Z.Razafimahatratra A.Rolle C.Rubin C.Scheepers S.Sfar A.Stevenson A.Sugiyama T.Tanasugarn M.Tu I.Tulyaganova M.Washington A.Widjaja S.Williams V.Williams J.Zheng
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #3
country flag Tennisfan06

Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute

R2
Yolande LEACOCK (TRI) defeated Maria-Fernanda ALVES (BRA) (4) 6-3 6-4
R3
Natasa ZORIC (SRB) (14) defeated Yolande LEACOCK (TRI) 6-1 6-1
Tennisfan06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 08:52 AM   #4

her next tournament seems to be the 25k rancho santa fe. she's in the quali-list. hope she can qualify this time! gl yolande!

Old Jan 25th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #5
country flag Kevin.
Team USA ♥

Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute

saw her in Atlanta a couple of years ago. very talented
Doubles: Rank-15; Career High-12. Career Record: 108-114; Best Results: Winner: 2012-Wimbledon w/Kylger, 50k Lexington w/Kylger, 2011-Luxembourg w/drake1980;Finalist: 2012-San Diego w/Kylger, Moscow w/Kylger

Follow me on twitter!: www.twitter.com/kevintdillon
Kevin. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #6

yolandes part of the quali draw in rancho santa fe:

FINK, Amanda (USA) 7
vs
MRAZOVIC, Vana (SRB)

LEACOCK, Yolande (TRI)
vs
WEN, Xin (CHN)

SKAMLOVA, Chantal (SVK)
vs
GEORGE, Nicola (GBR)

ZHAO, Di (CHN)
vs
ROTTMANN, Nicole (AUT) 12

gl yolande, qualify please!

Old Jan 30th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #7
country flag Freakan

Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute

I have been followin her career from the start and she indeed showed a lot of promise. However she had a very long break because of an injury, I suppose, as she lost quite a lot of matches retiring. She is extremely inocsistent as once before retiring she was traliing against Ghinda, who is a terrible bagel girl. Since she came back last year she seems to be healthy and improving steadily. But I think after such a long break it would be much better for her to play 10k's, get some match play and build confidence instead of 25k qualies.

Welcome Back:
Dokic Karatancheva
Freakan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 09:37 AM   #8

omg!!!! yolande lost her 1r match 06 06!!! what happened to her? it really looks like it would be better for her to play 10k's first.

Old Jan 31st, 2011, 07:20 PM   #9
country flag Tennisfan06

Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it was just a very bad day for her and that never happens again
Tennisfan06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #10

yolande playing qualies at the 25k rancho mirage next week. gl and qualify this time!

Old Feb 8th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #11

QR1: Megan FALCON (USA) (5) defeated Yolande LEACOCK (TRI) 61 63

come on, yolande. you have to win some matches and qualify or start playing 10k's to win some matches and get some points and probably confidence, too!

Old Feb 15th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #12

hmmm,yolande is on the quali list at the 25k in surprise, but she's neither in the quali draw nor in the main draw. maybe se decided to take some time off or play smaller tournaments to get some more points! hope she plays again soon! gl yolande!

Old Mar 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #13

lately she withdrew form some tournaments or didn't go there/enter, most recently at the 100k in nassau (she is on the alternates list but not in the quali draw) and she was also on the entry list at the 10k in poza rica next week, but also withdrew! hope it's nothing wrong, but i think its a good decision to play some 10k's to get more wins and points first, before playing 25k's and losing in qualies every time!
so come on yolande, keep playing and get some wins in the next tournaments!

Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 08:52 AM   #14

yolande entered 3 tournaments for next week, the 25k in buenos aires, the 25k in pelham and the 10k in Ribeirao Preto. but she withdrew from Ribeirao Preto and pelham, so it seems she decided to play buenos aires qualies. i think it would have been wiser to play the 10k in brazil because she would have been in the main draw and it would have been easier to win some matches and get ranking points. but anyway, gl next week yolande, get on the winning track again and qualify this time!

Old Mar 26th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #15

25k buenos aires:

QR1: Yolande Leacock (7) vs bye
QR2: Yolande Leacock (7) vs Stefanini or Mercier

come on yolande, win some matches again and qulify this time!