Venus draped in Red, White and Blue for Fed Cup- 2014 WG Thanks to Vee! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #1
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute
Venus draped in Red, White and Blue for Fed Cup- 2014 WG Thanks to Vee!

Venus' Fed Cup thread for whenever she plays, I thought it would be nice to put together all her results, some quotes, and pictures from her time in Fed Cup.

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #2
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Venus draped in Red, White and Blue, and set to raise the American Flag in FED CU

Results

1999 Fed Cup
SF - Played in Ancona, Italy on July 24-25. Outdoor Red Clay. USA def. Italy 4-1.

-R1: def. Rita Grande 6-2 6-3
-R3: def. Silvia Farina Elia 6-1 6-1
-R5: w/Serena def. Tathiana Garbin/Adriana Serra Zanetti 6-2 6-2

Final - Played in Stanford, California on September 18-19. Outdoor Hardcourts. USA def. Russia 4-1.
-R1: def. Elena Likhovtseva 6-3 6-4
-R4: lost to Elena Dementieva 1-6 6-3 7-6(5)
-R5: w/Serena def. Elena Dementieva/Elena Makarova 6-2 6-1

2000 Fed Cup
SF and Final - Out with anemia.

2001 Fed Cup
USA withdrew because of 9/11.

2002 Fed Cup
R1 - Did not play.
World Group Play-Off - Did not play.

2003 Fed Cup
R1 - Played in Lowell, Massachusetts on April 26-27. Indoor Hardcourts. USA def. Czech Republic 5-0.

-R1: def. Daja Bedanova 6-1 6-0
-R4: def. Iveta Benesova 6-3 6-2
-R5: w/Serena def. Daja Bedanova/Eva Birnerova 6-0 6-1

QF, SF, and F - Abdominal injury.

2004 Fed Cup
R1 - Played in Portoroz, Slovenia on April 24-25. Outdoor Red Clay. USA def. Slovenia 4-1.

-R2: def. Katarina Srebotnik 6-1 6-2
-R3: def. Tina Pisnik 6-3 6-1

QF - Did not play.

2005 Fed Cup
QF - Played in Delray Beach, Florida on April 23-24. Outdoor Hardcourts. USA def. Belgium 5-0.

-R2: def. Els Callens 6-2 6-2
-R4: def. Leslie Butkiewicz 6-1 6-4

SF - Played in Moscow, Russia on July 9-10. Indoor Red Clay. Russia def. USA 4-1.
-R1: lost to Anastasia Myskina 5-7 6-4 6-2
-R3: def. Elena Dementieva 6-1 6-2
-R5: w/Corina Morariu lost to Vera Dushevina/Dinara Safina 6-1 7-5

2006 Fed Cup
QF and SF - Left wrist injury

2007 Fed Cup
QF - Played in Delray Beach, Florida on April 21-22. Outdoor Hardcourts. USA def. Belgium 5-0.

-R1: def. Kirsten Flipkens 7-5 6-2
-R4: def. Yanina Wickmayer 6-1 6-2

SF - Played in Stowe, Vermont on July 14-15. Outdoor Hardcourts. Russia def. USA 3-2.
-R2: def. Nadia Petrova 7-6(6) 0-6 6-4
-R3: def. Anna Chakvetadze 6-1 6-4
-R5: w/Lisa Raymond lost to Nadia Petrova/Elena Vesnina 7-5 7-6(1)

2008 Fed Cup
QF - Did not play.
SF - Out for medical testing.

2009 Fed Cup
QF - Did not play.
SF - Did not play.
F - Left Knee Injury.

2010 Fed Cup
QF - Did not play.
SF - Left Knee Injury.
F - Left Knee Injury.

2011 Fed Cup
QF - Right Hip Injury.
World Group Play-Off - Right Hip Injury.

2012 Fed Cup
World Group II - Played in Worcester, Massachusetts on February 4-5. Indoor Hardcourts. USA def. Belarus 5-0.
-R5: w/Liezel Huber def. Darya Kustova/Anastasiya Yakimova 6-1 6-2

World Group Play-Off - Sjögren's Syndrome.

2013 Fed Cup
QF - Back Injury

World Group Play-Off - Played in Delray Beach, Florida on April 20-21. Outdoor Hardcourts. USA def. Sweden 3-2.
-R4: def. Johanna Larsson 6-3 7-5
-R5: w/Varvara Lepchenko lost to Hilda Melander/Sandra Roma W/O

2014 Fed Cup
QF -

Stats
Fed Cup Record: 19-4
Tie winning Record: 8-2

Singles Record: 15-2
Doubles Record: 4-2

Live Singles Rubber Record: 12-1
Live Doubles Rubber Record: 0-1

Dead Singles Rubber Record: 3-1
Dead Doubles Rubber Record: 4-1

Doubles Record with Serena: 3-0
Doubles Record without Serena: 1-2

Last edited by Uranium : Apr 23rd, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #3
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Re: Venus draped in Red, White and Blue, and set to raise the American Flag in FED CU

Quotes

1999 Fed Cup SF
"It was my first Fed Cup match, (and) I was pretty excited," she said.

"I very much respect Silvia, who I've played on several occasions but I had such a great desire to win the match after yesterday's result,'' Venus later said at a news conference. - Seles lost to Farina Elia.

"I play on anything, I was happy out there,"

1999 Fed Cup Final
''Fed Cup is much different from a tournament,'' she said. ''For sure, in a tournament, you're playing for yourself, it's all about you, no one else matters. Here, it's a little bit different, it's more about a team, and I've never played a team sport before; it's a new experience.''

''I was down a break in the second, but in my life, I've been down a lot, so I know I'll come back,'' Williams said.

"I definitely got in much more today than usual, and when I got in I didn't miss my volleys. Usually I get out of control and start missing," said Williams, who added that her goal was one volley on each of her service games. "I haven't done a lot of serve and volley in my life. I'm actually pretty good at it, but I don't do it a lot."

"We feel great to be on the team. To play the first year and to be on the winning team. We feel great we contributed to this."

2003 Fed Cup QF
“With the way the schedule is on the tennis tour, sometimes it’s tough to make a commitment so early,” Venus Williams said, explaining their absence. “Sometimes I do take a week to rest, but [the fed Cup] is definitely a high priority for me.”
"I really want to play next time assuming that we're able to win. Of course it's 1-love now. But assuming that we do get the win, I would love to play the next one."

"I just had so much fun with the whole team. I've learned so much from Zina and Billie. I've been able to really work hard and focus. I don't have any excuse of why I can't show up to practice (laughter)...like at home, so...
I really just had a great time. I really feel like I've grown as a player, and I don't really want to give up this kind of experience."

"I'm sold. I love it. I love playing for the team. It's an unbelievable feeling. Even though the score line was not as difficult today, I felt very, very excited. I was very excited because it wasn't just for me, it was for the team. We had a lead. It was great."

“I think now it just means a lot,” Venus said of her third Fed Cup experience. “I’m able to understand a little bit about the history and the importance for a lot of the top players to participate.”

2004 Fed Cup R1
"It means a lot," she said. "If I didn’t want to be here I wouldn’t be here and for me it’s really important to support this whole Fed Cup event. This is the only time out of the year that I’m not just [playing] for Venus, I’m here for the whole team, for every player, and it’s not often I cheer for any other player as I will this week."

“It was amazing,” she said. “This was my first Fed Cup tie without Serena playing, and I would love to keep playing. I haven’t had as much chance to play Fed Cup as I would have liked, so I definitely want to keep it moving.”
"It’s been great," Williams said. "The week has gone much too fast. I had the experience to be on the team and to get better. It’s been a plus."

2005 Fed Cup QF
“I never asked Serena whether she was going to play or not. I was just ready. So it was really down to the wire, that last moment. Guess what, Team B was in,” Venus joked.

2005 Fed Cup SF
"We almost had it all. We had the best singles players, and the best doubles team with Corina [Morariu] and Lindsay, but I still think we have a strong team. I feel that nothing can stop the US as long as we have our hearts into it."

"I felt so bad yesterday," said Williams after her win. "The reason I'm here is that I love Zina [Garrison, the US captain] and I wanted to win for her. Yesterday I had some negative points where I lost a game or two, which made a difference to the match because I just wasn't there. I just wanted to come today and do a lot better."

2007 Fed Cup QF
"Yeah, I want to play - I usually play Fed Cup because I love Zina and I play for Zina. Definitely I like playing for the U.S., and I really love Billie Jean, and I'd play for her, too. Those are two women that I definitely play for. That's why I play."

"Most certainly. It's an opportunity. It's a privilege to play. I'm alive, well, tour (laughing), and halfway healthy. I'll be at the Olympics."
"It was so exciting I wanted to clap right in the middle," Venus Williams said. And she was just talking about the national anthem.

2007 Fed Cup SF
“So much has happened since that day at Wimbledon less than a week ago, now we are her at Fed Cup and it seems like ages ago, it’s very exciting and it’s still very fresh in the mind,” said Venus, who laughingly described herself as the ‘Mother Hen’ of the American team."

2012 Fed Cup World Group II
"I am feeling better every week. I think I have felt this week the best I ever have," Williams said. "Being on the team and having some adrenaline just gives me even more energy to honest.

"This is good for me to be here, especially last year I could not play, in Germany I was just sitting on the sidelines, which was tough, because I was not able to help the team at all," Williams added. "So this year it is great to be in a position to help the team."

"I think what really makes it special is just the feeling of not really just playing for yourself, kind of taking that burden and that pressure and living up to it, coming through not just for yourself but for the rest of the team," Williams said. "Here it doesn't matter if you're down 5-Love, they're like, ‘Come on.’ They really rally for you. It's really a team spirit, high or low, which is rare in tennis. So it's a great feeling."

"It felt great. All of January I've been ramping up my training and trying to get back out here on the tour, so it felt good to play on the team," Williams said afterwards. "I didn't want to push too much - I wanted to keep it concise and go for the win. I just tried to play within myself and get some experience."

Williams was thrilled to play with Huber. "Liezel's really an expert doubles player. I've played against her many times, and every time Serena and I played her we never gave her an inch because we know she can take over. I just feel comfortable playing with her - she has the same attitude as Serena and I, who believe we can achieve anything no matter what the circumstances."

"It was great playing with Liezel because she believes she can win, she's going to go for it. It takes pressure off me," she said. "If it had been a 2-All situation, I would have felt comfortable playing with her and would have relaxed me going for my shots.

"It felt great to win the first service game," she added. "It felt great to come back from those Love-40 games, down 2-Love. It felt good to be able to move the ball. It felt good when Liezel helped me out. It was everything I expected."

2013 Fed Cup World Group Play-Off
"We love playing at home, of course. So this is our third tie in Delray, and I'm sure there will be more that will come here. It's awesome for us."

“When you’re on a team, you just want to do more. Sometimes that can be a lot more pressure. To be honest, I wanted to be out there. I told Mary Joe (Fernandez, the US captain) yesterday I feel good, I feel positive. I pumped myself up and I wanted to be there for the team.”

“I wasn’t keeping track (of the match points). I was just trying to stay focused on getting the win for the US.”

Last edited by Uranium : Apr 23rd, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #4
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Pics

1999 Fed Cup SF

1999 Fed Cup Final

2003 Fed Cup QF

2004 Fed Cup R1

Last edited by Uranium : Apr 6th, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #5
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

2004 Fed Cup R1 continued

2005 Fed Cup QF

Last edited by Uranium : Apr 6th, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #6
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

2005 Fed Cup SF

2007 Fed Cup QF

2007 Fed Cup SF

Last edited by Uranium : Mar 5th, 2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #7
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

2012 World Group II R1

2013 World Group Play-Off

Last edited by Uranium : Apr 23rd, 2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #8
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

reserved
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #9
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

reserved
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #10
country flag Midnight_Robber

Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute

She's practically walking - no, running - on air in that last pic. Love the 'fro of '07, and while I;m not bog on weaves, was but she was weavalicious in '04 and '05. Good work Uranium, as usual!
Midnight_Robber is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #11
country flag silyaunWILLIAMS

silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of

That last pic! she looks so fierce and intense!
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #12
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,

I have a little question regarding this
Quote:
2001 Fed Cup
USA didn't enter because of 9/11.
No Fedcup before 9/11?

Some weird loses.

Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #13
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreat! View Post
Hello there,

I have a little question regarding this

No Fedcup before 9/11?

Some weird loses.

They had Fed Cup before 9/11, but it was basically World Group qualifying for 4 countries to get into the World Group, which USA was a part of the 4 countries that were already in as they were Defending Champs. So The World Group was played November 7-11, and USA withdrew from going to Spain for it because of security reasons from 9/11.

The loss with Corina was a dead rubber and the loss with Lisa was just painful to see how inexperienced Venus was with Lisa, because Venus would not go after the middle court shots at net, leaving Lisa to have to stretch for them.

Also, all 4 of Venus' Fed Cup losses have came to Russia

Last edited by Uranium : Sep 26th, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #14
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

What !!! NOVEMBER!!!???

WORLD GROUP!!!

Quote:
Also, all 4 of Venus' Fed Cup losses have came to Russia
Ehem! vs Italy.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #15
country flag Direwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Robber View Post
She's practically walking - no, running - on air in that last pic. Love the 'fro of '07, and while I;m not bog on weaves, was but she was weavalicious in '04 and '05. Good work Uranium, as usual!
Quote:
SF - Played in Stowe, Vermont on July 14-15. Outdoor Hardcourts. USA loses 3-2.
-R2: def. Nadia Petrova 7-6(6) 0-6 6-4
-R3: def. Anna Chakvetadze 6-1 6-4
I remember there was a point somewhere...
I think it was vs Nadia...
It was an intense rally
where Venus was moved from side to side
- her opponets comes to the net...
and Venus hit a passing shot winner from like 1million feet behind the baseline