Caro's Comebacks - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 31st, 2010, 06:19 AM   #1
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Caro's Comebacks

Caro's had a lot of victories where she's had to comeback in order to win. This thread is a place to list and or discuss them.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 31st, 2010, 08:07 AM   #2
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Caro's Comebacks

Here's a list of all the big comebacks that I could think of:

Against Zakopalova in the quarters of the Japan Open in 2007: down 3-1 in the 3rd set tiebreak but rallied to win the 3rd set tiebreak 7-3

Against Lisicki in the 3rd round of the Australian Open: down 6-4 4-2 with Lisicki having a couple of game points for 5-2 2nd set and a couple of break points for 5-3 2nd set.

Against Dementieva in the 4th round of Miami in 2009: down 3-1 in both sets

Against Vesnina in the semifinal of Ponte Vedra Beach in 2009: down 4-2 3rd set to Vesnina in the semifinal of Ponte Vedra Beach in 2009, saved 2 match points at 5-3 3rd set with Vesnina serving for the match, and saved 2 match points at 5-6 3rd set serving to stay in the match.

Against Dushevina in the 1st round of the French Open in 2009: down 6-4 2-0 with a break point to go down a double break in the 2nd set

Against Date-Krumm in the 1st round of Wimbledon in 2009: down 7-5 2-0 and 3-1 2nd set

Against Kirilenko in the quarters in Bastad in 2009: down 4-2 1st set 40-15 Kirilenko serving, saved a set point at 4-5 1st set serving to stay in the 1st set, down 5-3 2nd set with Kirilenko serving for the 2nd set

Against Kuznetsova in the 4th round of the US Open in 2009: down 2-0 3rd set and down 3-1 3rd set

Against Azarenka in the round robin at the YEC in 2009: down 3-1 3rd set, down 4-2 3rd set 30-0 Azarenka serving, down 5-3 3rd set Azarenka serving for the match, and saved a match point at 4-5 3rd set

Against King in the 2nd round of Indian Wells in 2010: down 7-5 2-0 and down 4-1 3rd set

Against Pironkova in the 2nd round of Miami in 2010: down 3-1 2nd set 15-30 on her serve and down 3-0 3rd set

Against Vesnina in the semifinal of Ponte Vedra Beach in 2010: down 5-3 2nd set with Vesnina serving for the match and down 0-30 on her serve at 4-5 2nd set serving to stay in the match

Against Hercog in the 2nd round of Warsaw in 2010: down 3-0 in the 3rd set

Against Dulgheru in the 3rd round of the French Open in 2010: down 3-1 1st set 15-40 on her serve, down 4-1 2nd set, and down 4-2 2nd set 30-0 & 40-30 & Ad Dulgheru on Dulgheru's serve

Against Goerges in the quarters of Copenhagen in 2010: down 5-3 3rd set 30-0 with Goerges serving for the match

Against Dementieva in the semifinal of New Haven in 2010: down 3-1 3rd set 30-40 on her serve, down 4-2 3rd set, down 5-3 3rd set Dementieva serving for the match, and down 3-0 in the 3rd set tiebreak (1 minibreak)
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 10:41 AM   #3
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Caroline has some pretty amazing comebacks - most of them already mentioned. She was able to win 11 matches in 2010 being a set down - probably more wins than any other player on the WTA Tour got this year when losing 1st set! And some of these wins were quite remarkable against high-quality opponents in quite big tournaments, for instance vs. Dementieva at New Haven and Tokyo. Dementieva won 1st set 6-1 in both these matches but Wozniacki still won! Caro also got some nice wins over Pennetta and Schiavone when losing 1st set (at Montreal and YEC Doha).

Her Junior Wimbledon title 2006 was particularly remarkable in this respect: She lost the 1st set in four of her six macthes en route to the title (and she also saved match points on her way to the title)...

Although I don't have any exact stats to back up the following claim, I'm pretty sure that Caro's career stats of 'winning when one set down' must be among the better ones on the Tour. I posted some 2010 stats regarding this in another thread here. Those stats, however, are a few months old and do not cover the entire 2010 season.

As mentioned by Protoss Caro saved 4 match points on her way to the 2009 Ponte Vedra Beach title - that was the highest number of saved match points en route to a title win in 2009 (tied with Jankovic).

Last edited by angliru : Jan 2nd, 2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
angliru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 04:13 PM   #4
country flag _mariosergio

_mariosergio is a glorious beacon of light _mariosergio is a glorious beacon of light _mariosergio is a glorious beacon of light _mariosergio is a glorious beacon of light _mariosergio is a glorious beacon of light _mariosergio is a glorious beacon of light _mariosergio is a glorious beacon of light _mariosergio is a glorious beacon of light _mariosergio is a glorious beacon of light _mariosergio is a glorious beacon of light _mariosergio is a glorious beacon of light

I think Caro's comeback against Hercog, in Varsaw was the most dramatic of this season. Because she needed medical timeout for her injuried ankle ( injury in Charleston SF http://youtu.be/O6VSc3Wb5Wc ), when she was crying by pain with 3/0 down on 3rd set.
_mariosergio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 09:40 PM   #5
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very interesting tread and it's great that Caroline is able to fight back and win so often but we also have to consider the fact that in a lot of those matches she probably should have won them in straight sets. Of course as long as she wins them that's really all that should matter but in 2011 I hope we see more straight sets wins, especially over the lower ranked players.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #6
country flag Protoss

Caro was down 6-3 3-1 in the quarters of the Australian Open this year against Schiavone when she came back to win the 2nd set 6-3 and the 3rd set 6-3.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #7
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

We could also discuss how Caro rarely ALLOWS comebacks!
In 2007 she lost 1 match where she had won the first set. In 2008 3 matches. In 2009 4 matches. In 2010 2 matches. And in 2011 it has happened 1 time so far.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #8
country flag ilovelilyson

ilovelilyson is a jewel in the rough ilovelilyson is a jewel in the rough ilovelilyson is a jewel in the rough ilovelilyson is a jewel in the rough ilovelilyson is a jewel in the rough ilovelilyson is a jewel in the rough ilovelilyson is a jewel in the rough ilovelilyson is a jewel in the rough ilovelilyson is a jewel in the rough ilovelilyson is a jewel in the rough ilovelilyson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
And in 2011 it has happened 1 time so far.
Li Na...
ilovelilyson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #9
country flag Ivanovic2008

Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Woz must become the comeback queen!
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 08:14 PM   #10
country flag KleineBiere

KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post

Although I don't have any exact stats to back up the following claim, I'm pretty sure that Caro's career stats of 'winning when one set down' must be among the better ones on the Tour.
- some active players

- Main Tour

as of January 31
Code:
					Since 1997			   2010

Serena Williams 	                 60 of 136      0.441  		 3 of  5	0.600
Kim Clijsters				 45 of 118	0.381		 4 of  9	0.444
Maria Sharapova			         42 of 114	0.368		 4 of 14	0.286
Venus Williams				 54 of 148	0.365		 5 of 10	0.500
Svetlana Kuznetsova 			 58 of 187	0.310		 4 of 19	0.211	
Caroline Wozniacki			 30 of 100 	0.300		11 of 25	0.440
Na Li					 33 of 113	0.292		 5 of 22	0.227		
Anna Chakvetadze			 36 of 134      0.269		 5 of 18	0.278
Daniela Hantuchova			 71 of 269      0.264		 9 of 27	0.333	
Jelena Jankovic				 44 of 173	0.254		 6 of 22	0.273
Vera Zvonareva				 46 of 186	0.247		 4 of 19	0.211
Francesca Schiavone			 58 of 252 	0.230		 4 of 19	0.211
Agnieszka Radwanska			 19 of  91      0.209		 1 of 13	0.077	
Flavia Pennetta				 38 of 186	0.204		 0 of 20	0.000
Shahar Peer				 26 of 130	0.200	 	 8 of 25  	0.320	       	 
Victoria Azarenka			 14 of  76      0.184		 4 of 17	0.235	
Samantha Stosur				 21 of 135      0.156		 7 of 22	0.318	
Tour Average	                                                         3 of 18        0.167
Pennetta

Last edited by KleineBiere : Mar 2nd, 2011 at 08:58 AM.
KleineBiere is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:04 AM   #11
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Great work once again

Caroline's stats are not really the best on the tour, but they're actually quite good considering she has had a much shorter career than those above her (or anyone else on the list!). Because it's really hard to get good stats in this area when your overall W/L percentage is low, as it always is in the first years as a pro (i.e. when you're losing many matches).

Yeah, Pennetta 2010: 0/20
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:51 AM   #12
country flag Protoss

Caro came from 5-2 down in the 1st set against Jankovic in the Dubai semis this year to win the 1st set 7-5 saving 4 set points on Jankovic's serve at 4-5. She would go on to win the 2nd set 6-3 and claim her 1st victory against Jankovic.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #13
country flag angliru

Against Wickmayer in the Charleston QF: Caro lost 1st set 6-4 and was down 40-0 at 4-4 in the 2nd set (in her own serve). She eventually won the 2nd set 6-4. She was also down 4-2 in the 3rd set but won the last 4 games of the match to take the set 6-4.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #14
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
Against Wickmayer in the Charleston QF: Caro lost 1st set 6-4 and was down 40-0 at 4-4 in the 2nd set (in her own serve). She eventually won the 2nd set 6-4. She was also down 4-2 in the 3rd set but won the last 4 games of the match to take the set 6-4.
I was gonna post that today but you beat me to it.

Caro also trailed 3-1 in the 2nd and 3rd set and saved a break point at 4-4 3rd set 30-40.

Last edited by Protoss : Apr 14th, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #15
country flag Protoss

Caro was down 7-6 (8) 4-1 and 4-2 2nd set 40-15, Ad Kuznetsova (game points) in the 4th round of the US Open this year against Kuznetsova when she came back to win the 2nd set 7-5 and the 3rd set 6-1.