Jarmila Gajdosova Cheering Thread! - Page 53 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #781
country flag Mike81

Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future
Re: Jarmila Gajdosova Cheering Thread!

Disappointing

**LISICKI** **CIBULKOVA** **IVANOVIC** **ROBSON**
Mike81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #782
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

This loss is disappointing, but overall I think Jarka can be reasonably pleased with her tournament. Hopefully she's turned a corner now and will start to find some consistency from now on.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #783
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Jarka .
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #784
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute

Well I guess, it has to go step by step. Beating Wickmayer was the first step of a long way back. Hampton had probably a lot of confidence after her win against Jankovic. Something that Jarka hasn't. But let's hope that the win against Wickmayer gave her a little boost of confidence already. Now i'm just hoping she is going to play some smaller tournaments after Miami.

Andrea Petkovic - Sara Errani - Jarka Gajdosova - Alizé Cornet
Dorien. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #785
country flag Baseliner35

Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Right on both counts I'd say. From what I've seen she hasn't had a huge amount of support from the Australian public and media, and being a public figure she's been exposed to some pretty cheap sniping at times (I recall reading some accusations that she only married Sam Groth to get Australian citizenship). Being on the road most of the time wouldn't make it any easier for her to build up an Australian support network, so I don't blame her for seeking a little solace on twitter. And like you said, her W/L is not that bad (4-6). I don't even think her high UE count is necessarily a bad thing, at least it shows she's not afraid to stay aggressive when things aren't going her way.
Ah, how to jusitfy the comment regarding support, or lack thereof from the Australian media or public? She has always been well respected by the public at games in Australia, however, given she has never been past the first round of the AO in something like 7 attempts, you can only support her for the game she plays! She received a great amount of support when she won the Morilla international in Hobart in 2011, and even though she lost in the quarters as defending champ this year, she was still well received, and was adored by the the crowd. I know, because I was there. She has got the media off side by her comments of late (and also the Australian public - as she effectively asserted Australian's don't like her becuase she is not a citizen by birth. Not the smartest move if you wish to engratiate yourself to your adopted country!). Therefore she only has herself to blame in that regard. She has to take responsiblity for her actions, and things she says, not just rely on "everyone's picking on me" line.

As for her marriage break up. It is sad for the couple, and there were some unfounded accusations floating around, however, she is not the only player on tour to suffer difficulty or distress off the court. Serena and Venus Williams lost their half-sister in a shooting for instance. Players break and split from their spouses, and partners all the time. I personally don't think the marriage split is responsible for her form since the US Open 2011. She has been dismal since then, and this is not about her marriage. Listen to her comments and pressers. She has lost her way, her confidence, and her mental fragility in matches is appaling. You won't convince me that she is thinking about Sam Groth when she is in the depths of a match!

As for her win/loss record this year. What a nonense. Apart from Wickmayer, which I concede was a good win, she has beaten the 159th, 183rd and 215th ranked players in the world since the AO. She simply does not have the game at the moment to challenge players inside the top 50, and maybe that stretches to the top 100, if you take the Wickmayer result out of the equation, and we all know the WTA can have it's upsets on any given day. That is not to say she does not have the quality. She may do, but IMO, without the right support, a change of philosophy (i.e. not trying to bash people of the court without any responsibility for shot selection), and mental toughness, she will be just "another player" on the WTA tour. She will earn a nice little treasure chest at the end of the day, beating players as a flat track bully, and playing doubles (which she is not bad). Good luck to her, but if her goal is about being competitive against the best in the world, and cracking it in to the top 20, then she is well off the mark. SHe is almost 25, and therefore her window will fast close.

Hopefully just getting the W's on the board might generate some confidence, however, as I have said, she needs to start changing some significant things in her game to do that. I don't know whether she has the time, nor the aptitude to that personally.

Just my opinion. Not asking anyone to agree with it, and whilst I understand this is a cheering thread, it would be ignorant to avoid the glaring problems surrounding Gajdosova's game atm.

Last edited by Baseliner35 : Mar 12th, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
Baseliner35 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #786
country flag tennisforadults

tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute

^ She strikes me as a highly emotional person. When she is feeling good and confident, she brings on her big game and challenges the top players. Seems like the last year or so since her divorce, she's been very emotionally unstable. And that is reflected in her tennis and public statements/actions.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #787
country flag Mike81

Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future Mike81 has a brilliant future

No doubt that Jarka is an emotional person. Considering some of her off court issues- marriage breakup! and other stuff like fans harassing her on twitter after her bad loss at the US Open last year, she probably feels insecure and not totally accepted by Australians. She needs love and support

**LISICKI** **CIBULKOVA** **IVANOVIC** **ROBSON**
Mike81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #788
country flag AYUMI-GOAT

AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, you keep twittering her

Imagine Dragons. Of Monsters and Men. Samantha Jade. Bastille <3
AYUMI-GOAT is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #789

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseliner35 View Post
Ah, how to jusitfy the comment regarding support, or lack thereof from the Australian media or public? She has always been well respected by the public at games in Australia, however, given she has never been past the first round of the AO in something like 7 attempts, you can only support her for the game she plays! She received a great amount of support when she won the Morilla international in Hobart in 2011, and even though she lost in the quarters as defending champ this year, she was still well received, and was adored by the the crowd. I know, because I was there. She has got the media off side by her comments of late (and also the Australian public - as she effectively asserted Australian's don't like her becuase she is not a citizen by birth. Not the smartest move if you wish to engratiate yourself to your adopted country!). Therefore she only has herself to blame in that regard. She has to take responsiblity for her actions, and things she says, not just rely on "everyone's picking on me" line.

As for her marriage break up. It is sad for the couple, and there were some unfounded accusations floating around, however, she is not the only player on tour to suffer difficulty or distress off the court. Serena and Venus Williams lost their half-sister in a shooting for instance. Players break and split from their spouses, and partners all the time. I personally don't think the marriage split is responsible for her form since the US Open 2011. She has been dismal since then, and this is not about her marriage. Listen to her comments and pressers. She has lost her way, her confidence, and her mental fragility in matches is appaling. You won't convince me that she is thinking about Sam Groth when she is in the depths of a match!

As for her win/loss record this year. What a nonense. Apart from Wickmayer, which I concede was a good win, she has beaten the 159th, 183rd and 215th ranked players in the world since the AO. She simply does not have the game at the moment to challenge players inside the top 50, and maybe that stretches to the top 100, if you take the Wickmayer result out of the equation, and we all know the WTA can have it's upsets on any given day. That is not to say she does not have the quality. She may do, but IMO, without the right support, a change of philosophy (i.e. not trying to bash people of the court without any responsibility for shot selection), and mental toughness, she will be just "another player" on the WTA tour. She will earn a nice little treasure chest at the end of the day, beating players as a flat track bully, and playing doubles (which she is not bad). Good luck to her, but if her goal is about being competitive against the best in the world, and cracking it in to the top 20, then she is well off the mark. SHe is almost 25, and therefore her window will fast close.

Hopefully just getting the W's on the board might generate some confidence, however, as I have said, she needs to start changing some significant things in her game to do that. I don't know whether she has the time, nor the aptitude to that personally.

Just my opinion. Not asking anyone to agree with it, and whilst I understand this is a cheering thread, it would be ignorant to avoid the glaring problems surrounding Gajdosova's game atm.
I'm not saying that Jarka's an angel, or denying that some of her problems are partly self-inflicted. I do think that the general public tends to lose sight of the fact that ALL professional athletes (not just Jarka) face pressures that are different from those that ordinary folk like us face. You criticize her for having a chip on her shoulder about not being a native born Australian, while conceding that unfounded public criticisms were made after her marriage breakdown. She's vulnerable at a time like that for christ's sake, cut her some slack.

Do you have any idea of what it would be like to change your nationality to be with the person you love, go through the trauma of a divorce without the daily support from old friends and family that people can usually count on in situations like that, and then to read awful insinuations about your situation in newspapers, online blogs etc.? Is it really so surprising that she said some ill-considered things in the heat of the moment? (btw having the national media pick up those comments and throw them back in her face is something that mere mortals like us don't have to deal with either). Of course there are others on the tour who go through similar or worse traumas, but why would that make Jarka any less deserving of sympathy? Apparently professional athletes are expected to be immune from having normal human emotions.

The W/L was only brought up to correct the suggestion being bandied about that she was losing every match she played, not to say that she was in blistering form. And your analysis that she needs to change things if she wants to succeed in a substantial way doesn't differ much from mine, or that of most of the posters on this thread for that matter.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #790
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yes, like the above post says, you've misread my point about having a support network in Australia. I don't mean from media or fans, I mean a tight support network that for most players is made up of close friends and family - people who you can trust and who know you back-to-front and will always be there for you. Having that is vital for anyone. I can't imagine Jarka has much of that in Australia now that she's divorced and is here so rarely. I can't imagine being 25, a divorcee and no longer living in your homeland and on top of that trying to be an elite sportswoman constantly in the public eye.

If you're not prepared to cut her some slack, at least be a bit understanding.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #791
country flag Baseliner35

Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough Baseliner35 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Territory View Post
Yes, like the above post says, you've misread my point about having a support network in Australia. I don't mean from media or fans, I mean a tight support network that for most players is made up of close friends and family - people who you can trust and who know you back-to-front and will always be there for you. Having that is vital for anyone. I can't imagine Jarka has much of that in Australia now that she's divorced and is here so rarely. I can't imagine being 25, a divorcee and no longer living in your homeland and on top of that trying to be an elite sportswoman constantly in the public eye.

If you're not prepared to cut her some slack, at least be a bit understanding.
I understand completely.

Firstly, she is very rarely in Australia. When not on tour, she is in Turkey training. Therefore your rationale concerning her loneliness as far as Australia is concerned is somewhat hard to phathom. She is a professional tennis player, whose primary residence during their careers is from hotel to hotel room across the world. In the off-season, she can choose, and has the means to travel anywhere she likes. That can be to see family, etc. She is not restricted to being forced to stay in Australia!

Secondly, how much support networks does she need when on tour? She is at liberty to bring on tour anyone she wants. However, most players don't have a large entourage. So therefore she will no doubt keep in contact with the significant people in her life by the virtues of modern technology (which she is obviousy well versed at). This is what the majority of all other players on tour have to deal with. She is no different, or special.

Thirdly, and it is a huge bug bear of mine. She is a well paid professional athlete, earning a career doing something she loves, and having the ability to travel the world, and experience the many varied cultures along the way. This is an opportunity open to only a small minority. I am sure being a professional tennis player is hard work, but you only have to view Gajdosova's twitter account to see it is not all hard work! Now, taking out the divorce (which I will talk about next), if she was playing in the ITF or Challengers tour, then I would be far more understanding. Those players do it tough. She is not. She has a priveleged position, which many would envy. So, I can't quite get my head around her constant complaining and "woe is me" attitude. She can at anytime leave the tour if it is to tough. If not, then she has to take the good with the bad. The adjulation and warranted critism (and trust me it is warranted).

Finally, the divorce. Now, I am not a cold and heartless bastard. I do sympathise and empathise with both parties. Any divorce is obviously saddening. However, it can't be a factor if she wishes to advance her tennis career, and tbh, there is only going to be a certain amount of time where people will mitigate her performances as a result. Gajdosova herself has said 2011 was hard, but 2012 would be her year, and she was going to get her tennis back on track. Well, a double bagel against Bartoli at Hopman Cup, her ranking now outside the top 50, and her results certainly don't correlate. If her divorce is affecting her so much, take time off, get your mental state right, then come back. I personally suspect, whilst it has obviously been tough on her, it is very easy to revert to it as an excuse. Might be harsh, but when do you start questioning it might be her game, mental toughness, etc, rather than her off court life which might be the major driving force behind her decline. I am of opinion, it has very little to do with her divorce. Before everyone jumps done my throat, it is just my opinion, I don't expect anyone to agree with it.

Ok, I now think I am detracting from this being a Cheering Thread for Gajdosova. I sincerely hope she can turn her game around. Many won't believe this, but I do like Gajdosova as a person (I think she is quite a nice young woman, however with a fiesty side to her), and with more than just a bit of tennis ability. She presents a lot both on the court, and off it to discuss.

Anyway enough from me.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #792
country flag Baseliner35

Quote:
I'm not saying that Jarka's an angel, or denying that some of her problems are partly self-inflicted. I do think that the general public tends to lose sight of the fact that ALL professional athletes (not just Jarka) face pressures that are different from those that ordinary folk like us face. You criticize her for having a chip on her shoulder about not being a native born Australian, while conceding that unfounded public criticisms were made after her marriage breakdown. She's vulnerable at a time like that for christ's sake, cut her some slack.

Do you have any idea of what it would be like to change your nationality to be with the person you love, go through the trauma of a divorce without the daily support from old friends and family that people can usually count on in situations like that, and then to read awful insinuations about your situation in newspapers, online blogs etc.? Is it really so surprising that she said some ill-considered things in the heat of the moment? (btw having the national media pick up those comments and throw them back in her face is something that mere mortals like us don't have to deal with either). Of course there are others on the tour who go through similar or worse traumas, but why would that make Jarka any less deserving of sympathy? Apparently professional athletes are expected to be immune from having normal human emotions.

The W/L was only brought up to correct the suggestion being bandied about that she was losing every match she played, not to say that she was in blistering form. And your analysis that she needs to change things if she wants to succeed in a substantial way doesn't differ much from mine, or that of most of the posters on this thread for that matter.
Whilst I concede professional players are just human beings at the end of the day, with the same frailities and emotive needs as us common folks, there needs to be also the reality she is a professional sportsperson, whose life and performances are scrutinised far more significantly than ours. It comes with the territory. She is not being forced to play on the WTA tour. She is well compensated for this envasive lifestyle. As I said, you have to take the good with the bad.

Simply, champions and great players deal with adversity far better than the also rans. Gajdosova has shown she is far more the later, than the former. THat might sound harsh - but once again the reality. Take for instance Clijsters and Hewitt relationship. That partnership, not only in Australia, but across the world was forenisically analysed both during the relationship, and after separation. It was far more scrutinised than any of Gajdosova's trials and tribulations. How did those two react? I am sorry, but Gajdosova has made mountains out of mole hills. We all know the press, social forums, etc sit and prey on individuals to make comment or create topics for them to feast on. Gajdosova has played right in to their hands - divorce, twitter, AO presser 2012. I can accept she might fall for it once, but fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you sort of stuff. She has not learnt, and wants to play everything out in the media. A poor choice, given her current performances and form since US Open. She is poorly managed in this respect, and makes poor choices of comment time and time again (and it is not just in the heat of the moment). I am sorry, but her tennis seems to be taking a back seat to her atm. This can be evidenced by the media reporting in Australia. She was once seen as the emerging darling of Australian women's tennis. The last report I read, described her as Australia's ever increasing drama queen. She is forging a reputation as another Jana Pittman (if you know who she is - you don't want that comparison). This is probably the most saddening thing, but by in large, she has created her own destiny in that regard.

Once again, just the way I see it. I don't think her tennis career is going to go anywhere if she is moddie coddled.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #793
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute

I love your long posts - they all contain some great typos and misinterpreted sayings Seriously, I like them a lot.

Can we now get back to the cheering?

Congrats to Jarka who will re-enter the top 50 in Singles and achieve a career high doubles ranking!
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #794

Quote:
Whilst I concede professional players are just human beings at the end of the day, with the same frailities and emotive needs as us common folks, there needs to be also the reality she is a professional sportsperson, whose life and performances are scrutinised far more significantly than ours. It comes with the territory. She is not being forced to play on the WTA tour. She is well compensated for this envasive lifestyle. As I said, you have to take the good with the bad.

Simply, champions and great players deal with adversity far better than the also rans. Gajdosova has shown she is far more the later, than the former. THat might sound harsh - but once again the reality. Take for instance Clijsters and Hewitt relationship. That partnership, not only in Australia, but across the world was forenisically analysed both during the relationship, and after separation. It was far more scrutinised than any of Gajdosova's trials and tribulations. How did those two react? I am sorry, but Gajdosova has made mountains out of mole hills. We all know the press, social forums, etc sit and prey on individuals to make comment or create topics for them to feast on. Gajdosova has played right in to their hands - divorce, twitter, AO presser 2012. I can accept she might fall for it once, but fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you sort of stuff. She has not learnt, and wants to play everything out in the media. A poor choice, given her current performances and form since US Open. She is poorly managed in this respect, and makes poor choices of comment time and time again (and it is not just in the heat of the moment). I am sorry, but her tennis seems to be taking a back seat to her atm. This can be evidenced by the media reporting in Australia. She was once seen as the emerging darling of Australian women's tennis. The last report I read, described her as Australia's ever increasing drama queen. She is forging a reputation as another Jana Pittman (if you know who she is - you don't want that comparison). This is probably the most saddening thing, but by in large, she has created her own destiny in that regard.

Once again, just the way I see it. I don't think her tennis career is going to go anywhere if she is moddie coddled.
Of course she gets scrutinized, but as Territory said, this is a cheering thread, where people who like and support Jarka come to post some supportive stuff to compensate a little for the shit that gets posted elsewhere and written and said in the broader media. All players have fan sites, face book pages and pages like this where they can seek some solace. You for some reason have decided that even here the hard line is the way to go, and have a hard time accepting that anyone, even her fans, have anything nice or comforting to say about her. That's your problem I'd say.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #795
country flag Baseliner35

Quote:
Of course she gets scrutinized, but as Territory said, this is a cheering thread, where people who like and support Jarka come to post some supportive stuff to compensate a little for the shit that gets posted elsewhere and written and said in the broader media. All players have fan sites, face book pages and pages like this where they can seek some solace. You for some reason have decided that even here the hard line is the way to go, and have a hard time accepting that anyone, even her fans, have anything nice or comforting to say about her. That's your problem I'd say.
At the end of this day, a) you do not have to read my posts,and b), you do not have to respond.

Anyway, I will give you peace and quiet, and let you get on with cheering. Just for the record, I like Gajdosova, and wish her well. That does not mean I simply dismiss the obvious.

I hope all you guys on here having something to cheer about for the rest of the year

Btw - I apologise to Territory for my misinterpretation and basic comprehension errors.