2013-14 verbals, high interest & transfers - Page 18 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 7th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #256
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future
Re: 2013-14 verbals, high interest & transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlue View Post
If Starr is not turning pro, then I wonder why we haven't heard about where she's going. Is it unusual not to be signed somewhere by now? School starts in a matter of weeks... Wonder what the hold-up could be?
Uhh...Starr going pro?
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 8th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #257
country flag TennisSee

TennisSee is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget that in addition to Cal and Florida, Georgia is still in need of a player after Craft transferred to Baylor.

Last edited by TennisSee : Jul 8th, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
TennisSee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #258
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisSee View Post
Don't forget that in addition to Cal and Florida, Georgia is still in need of a player after Craft transferred to Baylor. Heard they are beating the bushes hard.
Of course it would be good to have another player, but they don't really NEED one, as the entire starting line-up is coming back, and they have Kimbell too, who is a decent #6, if she has to play, and a good doubles player. Granted, I think the Duke situation this year freaked a lot of people out.
tucker1989 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #259
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Updates

7/10/13

- Long Beach St. signs Laura Eales of Great Britain.

- Long Beach St. signs Maeva Razakasoa of France.

- Long Beach St. signs Holly Reid of Great Britain.

- Long Beach St. signs Julie Gerard of France.

- Long Beach St. signs Gabriela Tilkeridisova of Czech Republic.

49er Tennis Adds Six Players for 2013-14
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #260
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Cross-quoted
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post
Mimi Fotopolous is leaving too. A real dumpster fire at Tennessee!
TCU release: http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/w-ten...070913aaa.html
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #261
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post
Mimi Fotopolous is leaving too. A real dumpster fire at Tennessee!
Tennessee has got nothing on Long Beach St. who had 4 players quit the team in the past calendar year.

It's not the teams losing that are making these players miserable at Tennessee and Long Beach State so it must be the head coaches.

At least the Tennessee transfers will continue their tennis career and are still on scholarship elsewhere.
Three of the Long Beach St. players are quitting tennis entirely.

How miserable must a player get to give up an athletic scholarship that pays for college?
How miserable must a player get to give up playing the sport that they love?
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #262
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
7/10/13

- Long Beach St. signs Laura Eales of Great Britain.

- Long Beach St. signs Maeva Razakasoa of France.

- Long Beach St. signs Holly Reid of Great Britain.

- Long Beach St. signs Julie Gerard of France.

- Long Beach St. signs Gabriela Tilkeridisova of Czech Republic.

49er Tennis Adds Six Players for 2013-14
It is just wrong that in California, a state with such abundant tennis talent, and tight education budgets, that an Athletic Director would allow a coach to gamble five scholarships on foreign players in the same year.

What's wrong that so few players who have local knowledge are willing to playing at this school? Why are our tax funded scholarship dollars not supporting our state?
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #263
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
It is just wrong that in California, a state with such abundant tennis talent, and tight education budgets, that an Athletic Director would allow a coach to gamble five scholarships on foreign players in the same year.

What's wrong that so few players who have local knowledge are willing to playing at this school? Why are our tax funded scholarship dollars not supporting our state?

Has there been any talks about establishing a limit? It seems that college tennis is the wrong arena to argue for international competition, when there's ITF and WTA with predominantly foreign players.
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #264
country flag Soxfan19

Soxfan19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post

Long Beach State and the coach deserve credit for putting together a competitive top 50 team. That takes a lot more recruiting effort than many top 20 programs have to put in each year. I'm sure the coach would be eager to offer as many Americans as could help them compete at the level they do (probably even at a level not quite as good), but the fact is too many American players won't even take an unofficial visit if it isn't a name they recognize from televised basketball and football or because of a nationally recognized top-notch academic program, e.g. the Ivies.

In a given graduation year, how many players in the US can realistically help a top 50 program? 100? The girl Long Beach State signed had reached a high of #74 and is currently #106. Will she play top 3 for them next year?

Let's just say there are 100 US players graduating this year that could help a top 50 team stay there. There are 300+ Division I teams in the country, and 120+ schools with major football programs and the scholarships/budgets that go with that. Then you have programs like Stanford, Duke, UNC, USC, Florida, Georgia, UCLA, etc who average 2 players each per year.

You can't expect a coach to just offer lesser players to keep the money in the State or even the country. Eventually, the coaches who do that lose too much, certainly don't have the opportunity to move on to another job if he/she wants to, and probably get asked to leave where they are after a certain number of losing seasons. Then you think you could maybe change the rules (if it was legal to do so) and allow only so many foreign scholarships, but if you do that, you have perennial top 25 teams that wouldn't even sniff the NCAA tournament. The large, well-known state schools and the academically elite schools in the country would dominate the sport.

It is even more of a problem in women's tennis where schools have 8 scholarships to fill six starting spots. Plus you'll get top 100 players who will walk-on to a top notch team and university rather than be a star somewhere else. That is great since they are committing to the education they want to get, but that shouldn't create space for criticizing a coach who probably puts a great deal of effort into recruiting Americans but just doesn't get her interest in players reciprocated.

Okay, rant over, but it is just not as simple as people think.
Soxfan19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #265
country flag gouci

Here are excerpts from an article on how Long Beach St. recruited Jaklin Alawi, their former #1 singles player.

Quote:
LONG BEACH - In Bulgaria's capital of Sofia, Mila Alawi patiently awaits the telephone call from her daughter from more than 6,000 miles away in America.

"My mother is still waiting for me to call and say that I'm coming home 'forever'," Long Beach State freshman tennis player Jaklin Alawi said Tuesday afternoon before stepping on the Rhodes Tennis Center courts for practice with her 49er teammates.

She laughed.

"But I always tell her, 'Sorry, mom, but I'm going to be staying here for all four years."

Quote:
So, when she decided she was going to continue her classroom and court educations in the U.S., California - specifically Southern California - came immediately to mind.

"But I really didn't know how to contact any of the colleges, so I just went onto the Internet," Alawi explained.

She hadn't heard of Long Beach State but when she saw "Beach Tennis" on facebook she investigated further, looked at a 49ers' roster (with the foreign presence) and saw pictures of the campus - and the near-by beaches.
So Long Beach St. got Jacklin Alawi, who was ranked as high as #34 nationally in singles for South Carolina last season, basically through dumb luck.

Maybe Alawi transferred because the beach pictures were misleading. Most of the beaches in Long Beach look like this below. The city should change its name from Long Beach to Long Port if they care about accuracy.

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #266
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

^

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #267
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Long Beach's port and commercial activity strengthens our State, but biased choosing European talent over rewarding our own better talent hurts our state.

Last edited by 2nd_serve : Jul 12th, 2013 at 02:59 AM.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #268
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

Aside from bitter UCI... forever to now be known at GoBitter

The Long Port is funny. Rather than post up photos our our multiple marina's, 5 miles of beachfront with multi-million homes owned by celebrities and athletes...how about you post up a photo of the beachfront in Irvine? LOL

I strongly encourage GoBitter and the other US only AYSO parents to recruit all the 3 stars from the US. PLEASE!!!

(Other comments deleted.. no point arguing with a fool).

As far as the usual 'factually incorrect' Gouci.... on quits, dismissals and anything else LB... let's review the scoreboard

UCI eliminations by LB in tourney FINALS: 2002, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013

LB eliminations by UCI in tourney FINALS: 2010 .. the dubious year wear GoBitter's coach played unethical line up that three teams protested and led to 8-1 vote the following summer to correct the missing rule... only the unethical coach did not support. PS.. that last part about the new rule and vote.. is fact.

Yes UCI has ONE Big West tourney title for all the crying GoBitter does. But has lost in the final more often than a hooker turns tricks.

Facts are facts...

But common people... any employee not striving to field/sell/offer the best available should not be employed. And if not for GoBitter, none of you would even notice (since honestly you dont really care anyway.. it's the Big West)

Last edited by beachman49 : Jul 12th, 2013 at 11:07 PM.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #269
country flag davidjaime

davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice

Why is this even posted here? NO ONE CARES ABOUT UCI OR LBSU!!!! They will never vie for a championship! They are in a pretty weak conference, go discuss that on the BIG WEST section, because we aint got time for that!
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #270
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachman49 View Post
Aside from bitter UCI... forever to now be known at GoBitter
Beachform a catfish like you is a natural at coming up with new names.

Last edited by gouci : Jul 13th, 2013 at 02:59 AM.