Which backhand do you use? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: BACKhand

One Handed 22 18.03%
Two Handed 96 78.69%
What's a backhand...? 4 3.28%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 19th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #46
country flag Povin
postcyber

Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future
Re: Which backhand do you use?

2-handed, with my right palm being pretty low. I still can't figure out how to hit one-handed flat backhand, anytime I hit it, it seems like my racket will fly away. With 2 hands on a backhand, I feel like I can penetrate into the opponent's power and return the ball with the same speed, because my left hand is a strong support and power source, while the right hand answers for the direction of a ball.
Povin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 11:53 PM   #47
country flag Payam

Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus5 View Post
I'll just use this topic for my "problem"

I use semi western forehand, so I can spin every ball easily. I don't have any problems on my forehand side, but backhand is my weakness.

Half of my shots on backhand side are slizes (especially low balls), the other half are double handed flat balls (no spin what so ever). Do you think that those flat balls will eventually become spinned when I will learn to use my wrist some more? (Let me just say that I play tennis for a year now, but on the other hand I'm a former table tennis player)

Latelly I've been trying to hit one handed backhand using an eastern backhand grip. All my practice of one handed backhand was hitting a ball against the wall.

Double handed backhand feels to me a bit akward or unnatural. I would love to play one handed, because is more similar to table tennis.

What do you suggest? What should I do? Am I using the right grip on my backhand?
Dear Magnus

I am actually quite surprised that no one has replied to your question which has revived this thread. You seem to have the same problem which I used to have when I stopped playing table tennis and started tennis instead.

I started learning two-handed backhand, but couldn't hit a decent backhand, so I moved to one-handed which was better for top spin but way harder to control and I wasn't happy with that either. I had a good forehand with a semi-western grip and my coach told me that the two-handed backhand is just like a left-handed forehand, so as soon as I had the semi-western grip and made my left hand the dominant hand on the shot, I realized how easy it was to generate top spin with the backhand and I have never looked back.

So my suggestion is, just try to have the semi-western fore the left hand and continental for the right, and hold the racket very loose with the right hand at first, so that the left hand does all the work. After a while loosen up both hands so that you can have more racket head speed and you will see the difference that it makes to your shots and how natural it becomes.

As I said I use two-handed and I believe the popularity of the two-handed on the pro tour is a testament of its superiority over one-handed. There are pros and cons for each, but to me the only problem with two handed is the "less reach" than one handed, and I happily compensate for that by hitting a one handed slice or one handed lob.

May the HAMMER smash the cross
Payam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 09:15 PM   #48
country flag nazzac

nazzac has a brilliant future nazzac has a brilliant future nazzac has a brilliant future nazzac has a brilliant future nazzac has a brilliant future nazzac has a brilliant future nazzac has a brilliant future nazzac has a brilliant future nazzac has a brilliant future nazzac has a brilliant future nazzac has a brilliant future

I can only slice BH's I actually switch to a RH FH when i can lol
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #49
country flag alfonsojose

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

2 handed backhand
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #50
country flag lisickis

lisickis is just really nice lisickis is just really nice lisickis is just really nice lisickis is just really nice lisickis is just really nice lisickis is just really nice lisickis is just really nice lisickis is just really nice lisickis is just really nice lisickis is just really nice lisickis is just really nice

Two handed backhand.
lisickis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #51
country flag Sean.
Look who's back!

Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus5 View Post
I'll just use this topic for my "problem"

I use semi western forehand, so I can spin every ball easily. I don't have any problems on my forehand side, but backhand is my weakness.

Half of my shots on backhand side are slizes (especially low balls), the other half are double handed flat balls (no spin what so ever). Do you think that those flat balls will eventually become spinned when I will learn to use my wrist some more? (Let me just say that I play tennis for a year now, but on the other hand I'm a former table tennis player)

Latelly I've been trying to hit one handed backhand using an eastern backhand grip. All my practice of one handed backhand was hitting a ball against the wall.

Double handed backhand feels to me a bit akward or unnatural. I would love to play one handed, because is more similar to table tennis.

What do you suggest? What should I do? Am I using the right grip on my backhand?
Without actually seeing the stroke production it's difficult to help, I'd say start simple and really make sure your racket starts below the ball and comes up through it. That'll naturally add TS to the shot.

Vera Zvonareva * Ana Ivanović * Li Na * Laura Robson ......
Sean. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #52
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam View Post

So my suggestion is, just try to have the semi-western fore the left hand and continental for the right, and hold the racket very loose with the right hand at first, so that the left hand does all the work. After a while loosen up both hands so that you can have more racket head speed and you will see the difference that it makes to your shots and how natural it becomes.

This. I tried having an eastern on the left hand and it made all my shots very flat. The key is to have a semi western on the left.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #53
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of

One handed backhand.

I am actually pretty good with the two handed too, but I hate having to always stretch my back to hit it! With the one handed though, I have much better balanced and it's just less work to hit it. With the one hander, I use my feet to get down to really low balls, but with the 2 handed that is almost impossible unless you're Djokovic, and I end up bending down.

Anyways I don't know why, but my backhands in general are much better than forehands. Half the time i don't even know the direction I am hitting the forehand I guess it had to do with me playing other sports where I had to hit balls in line with my body, rather than away from my body.
binky-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #54
country flag Sean.
Look who's back!

Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
This. I tried having an eastern on the left hand and it made all my shots very flat. The key is to have a semi western on the left.
Same, I had to alter my forehand grip from Eastern to Semi-Western, to get more spin & margin on my shots.

Vera Zvonareva * Ana Ivanović * Li Na * Laura Robson ......
Sean. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 06:44 PM   #55
country flag Zoran :)

Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice

Two handed and my favourite one handed slice
Zoran :) is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #56
country flag LeatherRatson

LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of

I recently changed to two handed backhand. I can hit really good shots with it, but it's soo inconsistent. I can always rely on my one-handed slice if needed. I just wish I knew how to get the two hander to be more reliable...
LeatherRatson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #57
country flag ohnoitsmchl

ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light

One Handed... I've tried two handed... and lets just say it makes my one hander look professional
ohnoitsmchl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #58
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute

One-handed. I hit as flat as can be, and quite hard. As what some would label a "BBB" and having an eastern forehand, I need the range and flexibility a one handed backhand gives me. It's more natural, more comfortable, less restricted, I've been hitting that way since I was seven, and I don't lack for any power off of that side, so it's the right choice. I can hit two handed, but it doesn't feel right.

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
'
Kipling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #59
country flag joe87

joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute

One handed.

Switched from a two handed after the first year as my back couldn't handle it and I never got to hit a 100% one. The change really paid off.
Suicide Tennis: Rank: #22 Highest: #2
Titles: 2007 Bad Gastein, 2008 US Open, 2009 Sydney, Miami, YEC Doha 2010 Dubai, Budapest, Prague 2011 Brussels 2013 Strasbourg
Tennis Tipping: Rank: #32 Highest: #1 Doubles: Rank: #42 Highest: #1
Titles S: 2009 ITF Dubai 2010 Bad Gastein, Tashkent 2011 Sydney, ITF Nassau, ITF Alphen, Seoul 2012 ITF Civitavecchia, Wimbledon, Carlsbad
Titles D: 2009 5x ITF 2010 Fes, Rome, Tokyo, YEC Doha 2011 ITF Monzon, Baku, Seoul 2012 Paris, Taipei, ITF Pune 2013 4x ITF, Charleston, Nürnberg 2014 ITF Alphen, Tashkent
joe87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #60
country flag .Andrew.

.Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute

Two-handed BH because I was too weak to try to have a one-hander when I started playing

Now I have a pretty nice one-handed slice though
.Andrew. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote