Ashleigh Barty - Page 73 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 15th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #1081
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashleigh Barty

In the 2nd half of this interview, Mladenovic talks about why she plays doubles and what it means to her. I'd guess that Ash's views on it would be very similar.

http://www.wtatennis.com/videos/arti...ovic-interview
Advertisement

Old Apr 15th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #1082
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Territory View Post
Was thinking a bit more about Ash's doubles. I think the suggestion that she should stop or reduce her doubles is crazy. Her record so far is absolutely remarkable. When you're that good at something and you obviously enjoy it, it is madness to suggest scaling it back. Here's a look at her doubles record so far:

Total tournaments entered: 20. Total won: 6. 6/20!
Total WTA tournaments entered: 3. Results: 3 SF.
One Grand Slam final
Career W/L: 44-14 (despite being 0-4 after her first four tournaments)
Current ranking: 37 (career-high)
Next highest ranked player born in 1996: #395 Antonia Lottner (GER)

And as a comparison, there is only one teenager ranked higher than Ash in doubles: Kristina Mladenovic at #27. At the end of 2012, she was #28 in doubles and #76 in singles. However Kristina has since cracked the singles top 50 (currently at #51) so she is one example of where early-career success in doubles is followed closely by success in singles.
Nice post!

Ash had an even better record in juniors (one of the best ever in fact). Her W/L record was something like 60-10. Yet she stopped playing juniors when she was 15 and whats more, when she was ranked #2 in the world. If she just played 1 more event she would have gotten the #1 position easily.

She said that she played less tournaments than the other girls and had achieved what she wanted to achieve in juniors already.

And I compare that to her doubles. Like you said with 3 semis and one final in just a few tournaments at such a young age, she knows that she could easily win a big doubles title if she wanted. But it is time to move on to bigger and greater things.
binky-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #1083
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why you think she can't do both. Players have been excelling at singles and doubles simultaneously since year dot. Likewise, Ash's results to date have shown that she is one of those players...
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #1084
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of

Quote:
I don't understand why you think she can't do both. Players have been excelling at singles and doubles simultaneously since year dot. Likewise, Ash's results to date have shown that she is one of those players...

There have been those players yes, but not with big success at the same time or not for any long period in any case. It's like only for a few years some player will excel in both, you can't make a career of being good in both, especially in modern physical game and schedule.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #1085
country flag binky-GOAT

Lets have a look at her singles results in past 6 months:

Lost to Arina Rodionova - She beat her when she was 14!
Bageled by Olivia Rogowska () - She beat her comfortably last 2 times
Beat Simmonds in KL by 76 64 - She fed her breadsticks in their last 2 meetings
She got bageled 3 times in WTA level this year - 0 times in 2012
Lost to Bojana at AO play-off - Even though she was the clear favorite

She got some good WTA results in there too, like thrashing Fran, taking sets off Domi and Barthel, making first QF. But in general her singles performances have been going down.

SO is it just a coincidence that she has had her best doubles results in the past 6 months too?
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #1086
country flag Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by binky-GOAT View Post
There have been those players yes, but not with big success at the same time or not for any long period in any case. It's like only for a few years some player will excel in both, you can't make a career of being good in both, especially in modern physical game and schedule.
Evidence to the contrary... examples of players who excel at both (bolded players are current):

Serena: reached #1 in doubles in 2010, 13 GS titles + 3 Olympic gold medals
Venus: as above
Errani: reached career rankings in singles and doubles simultaneously (#6 singles, #1 doubles)
Hingis: finished in doubles top 10 for 5 consecutive years (1996-2000), 9 GS titles including doing the Grand Slam in 1998
Navratilova: do I really need to give details on Martina?
Mandlikova: 27 career singles titles (incl. 4 GS), 19 career doubles titles (incl. 1 GS)
Graf: In doubles: 8 GS SF, 3 GS finals, 1 GS title, finished top 20 1986-1989.
Petrova: Finished year in top 20 - singles 9 times, doubles 7 times. Singles titles: 13. Doubles titles: 23
Vinci: reached singles career high (#12) while at doubles career high ranking (#1). 19 WTA titles in doubles, 8 in singles
Kirilenko: highest year-end ranking in singles and doubles occurred in same year (2012, #14 singles, #7 doubles). 12 WTA titles in doubles, 6 in singles
Zvereva: reached 19 WTA or GS singles finals between 1986 and 1999 (won 4), won 80 doubles titles between 1988 and 2002 (including 18 GS titles)
Sanchez Vicario: finished year in top 10: singles 11 times, doubles 10 times. GS titles: 4 singles, 8 doubles. WTA finals: 77 singles, 111 doubles
Sukova: 4 time GS singles finalist, 9 time GS doubles winner. Finished year end top 10: singles 1984-1989, doubles 1986-1993, 1995-1997
Novotna: finished year in top 10: singles 7 times, doubles 10 times
Shriver: finished year in top 10: singles 6 times, doubles 7 times
Davenport: 55 singles titles, 38 doubles titles. finished year in top 10: singles 10 times, doubles 7 times
Mattek-Sands: reached career highs in both at the same time (#11 in doubles, #30 in singles)

Others who have done well in both: Azarenka, Kuznetsova, Suarez, Evert, Gigi Fernandez, Mary Pierce, Conchita Martinez, Mary Joe Fernandez, Kim Clijsters, Ai Sugiyama and so on and so forth.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 05:13 AM   #1087
country flag binky-GOAT

Serena and Venus played together, having the best 2 serves on the tour it is not hard to win in doubles. They played a limited schedule anyway.

Errani and Vinci are late developers and now in the peak of their careers, of course they would play everything right now.

Some of the players you mentioned have hit the highs on both formats at the same time, simply because they were in a purple patch. But you just cannot sustain that level today over an entire career.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #1088
country flag Territory

Quote:
Some of the players you mentioned have hit the highs on both formats at the same time, simply because they were in a purple patch because success in one breeds success in the other.
Fixed.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #1089
country flag binky-GOAT

Quote:
Fixed.
Ok, still does not mean it's not a purple patch
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #1090
country flag binky-GOAT

I'm tired of arguing so let's just agree to disagree on:

Team Me: She should limit playing doubles and spend that time working on movement and strength training for singles. As well as mentally only concentrate on singles. In my opinion that is the best way for her development because she has already learned all the skills that is required for doubles.

Team EveryoneElse: She should play doubles every tournament. What is best for her development is to play as much competitive matches as she can. And that doubles success breeds singles success.

Old Apr 16th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #1091
country flag Markmen
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Markmen is a splendid one to behold Markmen is a splendid one to behold Markmen is a splendid one to behold Markmen is a splendid one to behold Markmen is a splendid one to behold Markmen is a splendid one to behold Markmen is a splendid one to behold Markmen is a splendid one to behold Markmen is a splendid one to behold Markmen is a splendid one to behold Markmen is a splendid one to behold
I think Stoltenberg knows what he's doing with Ash. She is learning every tournament. I reckon she will soon have a dream run in a tournament which could see her reach quarters in a major. With Vecik coming along as well its going to get interesting in a couple of years.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
2014: W CYP (S) Paris; Doha; Stuttgart. (D): (Spencer.) Indian Wells; Madrid; Strasbourg. Tipping (S) Birmingham; Wuhan (D) (mariusz_pol) Cincinnati; Miami; Indian Wells; Madrid; Rome; French Open. Q-Ball Rome; Strasbourg; Baku Triathalon Oeiras; Nurnberg; Birmingham. Tip Easy Tokyo.
R/U FITD (S) Rio; (D) Indian Wells. CYP (D) (Spencer.) Paris; Birmingham. (S) Katowice; Doha; French Open; Stanford. Tipping (D) (mariusz_pol) Aust O; Doha; Wimbledon; Montreal. Triathalon Eastbourne. Tip Easy Hong Kong Tipping Doubles Toray. Q-Ball China, Tianjin
2013: W Tipping (D) Beijing; USO. (S) Bastad. CYP (D) US Open; Guangzhou; Linz. FITD Oeiras.
RANKINGS Tipping (S) = 16 (D) = 1 FITD (S) = 26 (D) = 11 CYP (S) = 3 CYP (D) = 1 QBall = 17
Markmen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #1092
country flag binky-GOAT

^ Everytime I look at your username, I read it as Mugray

I remember when I first saw your sig picture, you spelled Ashleigh's name wrong Now you did the same with Vekic There are a lot better pictures you could choose from if you wanted to make a banner/poster or something. I haven't made one yet coz I like to troll in GM Here are my favorites:

This first pic is just the most beautiful picture ever. Look at the contrast in colors, the setting sunlight and obviously Ash's perfect technique in mid air.

BTW we really need a picture and videos thread for Ash. Even if she doesn't have her own subforum yet, there are just way too many good stuff that I fear may get forgotten.
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #1093
country flag binky-GOAT

Here is a video I forgot to post when I first saw it. She's playing with a young girl which I think she won to have a hit with Ash.

I like it because of a cool pick-up shot she plays at 1:30 albeit against a girl who's as tall as the net

We really need more videos of her in practice, she plays the most awesome trick shots.
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #1094
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

Quote:
That is the issue

Welcome

Thing is Stosur wasn't good in her teens, even in doubles. She broke into Top 100 in doubles when she was 20 (also in singles at the same time).

Ash has a much better start to her career as she seems to have natural talent, doesn't have it develop it over many years like Stosur did.

And I don't see Ash better at one format or the other (or preferring any one over the other). I just think it is much easier playing doubles than it is singles in WTA. It takes much harder work to be good in singles in my opinion.

If given a choice, you will always choose to be a better singles player than a doubles player anyway. And I think Ash needs to make that choice soon. I mean she is already a GS finalist, so she knows that this is as close to as good as it gets. No need repeating the same results for the next 10 years.
Surely not because she played a doubles match 3 days after she lost in the first round of singles...
guichard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #1095
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

Ash Barty talks Martina Hingis, Bernie Tomic and Earmuffs http://letstalktennis.org/2013/04/20...ffs/#more-1033
guichard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote