Tennis Forum banner

25 successive junior slams in a row won by different girls (New all-time record!)

46K views 317 replies 140 participants last post by  FERLKE 
#1 · (Edited)
What does it tell us about the future of women tennis? Does it reflect the senior grand slam results in the future?

Last 26 junior grand slam champions:
0. US Open 2006 - Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (Russia)
0. Australian Open 2007 - Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (Russia)
1. French Open 2007 - Alize Cornet (France)
2. Wimbledon 2007 - Urszula Radwańska (Poland)
3. US Open 2007 - Kristína Kučová (Slovakia)
4. Australian Open 2008 - Arantxa Rus (Netherlands)
5. French Open 2008 - Simona Halep (Romania)
6. Wimbledon 2008 - Laura Robson (United Kingdom)
7. US Open 2008 - Coco Vandeweghe (USA)
8. Australian Open 2009 - Ksenia Pervak (Russia)
9. French Open 2009 - Kristina Mladenovic (France)
10. Wimbledon 2009 - Noppawan Lertcheewakarn (Thailand)
11. US Open 2009 - Heather Watson (United Kingdom)
12. Australian Open 2010 - Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic)
13. French Open 2010 - Elina Svitolina (Ukraine)
14. Wimbledon 2010 - Kristyna Pliskova (Czech Republic)
15. US Open 2010 - Daria Gavrilova (Russia)
16. Australian Open 2011 - An-Sophie Mestach (Belgium)
17. French Open 2011 - Ons Jabeur (Tunisia)
18. Wimbledon 2011 - Ashleigh Barty (Australia)
19. US Open 2011 - Grace Min (USA)
20. Australian Open 2012 - Taylor Townsend (USA)
21. French Open 2012 - Annika Beck (Germany)
22. Wimbledon 2012 - Eugenie Bouchard (Canada)
23. US Open 2012 - Samantha Crawford (USA)
24. Australian Open 2013 - Ana Konjuh (Croatia)
25. French Open 2013 - Belinda Bencic (Switzerland)
END. Wimbledon 2013 - Belinda Bencic (Switzerland)

Pavlyuchenkova was the last one to win more than one. None of the juniors have been able to dominate since. I checked and found out that this streak has never been this long in the past. It has been going on for more than 6 successive years.

The streak is finally ended by Belinda Bencic :worship:

See less See more
Reactions: rafaelkafka
#3 ·
Re: 16 successive junior slams in a row won by different girls: WTA's future reflecti

Nastia is already top 20, but the rest of them are far from it, although Cornet had her moments.

#4 ·
Re: 16 successive junior slams in a row won by different girls: WTA's future reflecti

Nastia is already top 20, but the rest of them are far from it, although Cornet had her moments.
Only 5 of them had broken into the Top 100 so far: Pavlyuchenkova, Cornet, Ula Radwanska, Halep and Pervak. But some of them are still very very young.

Reactions: goldenlox
#5 ·

I've seen several of them play. Its hard to project into the future.
A year ago I thought Alisa would be better than Nastia.
But I've watched Nastia improve and improve, and now I expect Nastia to have the better career.

Its more mental than anything.
No matter what style you play, you have to play well at key moments

#6 ·

This year, two slams have been won by the Pliskova sisters who hardly play on the junior tour. Laura Robson continues to play half-hearted junior tennis only when she loses in the qualifying of a slam.

I think what has happened is that the age eligibility rule means that players can play very few junior events if they want to attain a senior ranking as well so they only have a half-baked commitment nowadays, whereas before they would have played a full junior year whilst being able to play a few ITFs as well.

#7 ·

And players are developing later now. You dont have Hingis, Williams, Sharapova, who win majors at 16,17

Most of the young players are improving step by step, as they get into their 20's.

It could be the power of todays game. A lot of pros really pound the ball.

#12 ·

And let's not forget, Hingis won junior Roland Garros aged 12!!!
Wow I didn't know that :speakles::bowdown:

#9 ·

Caro, Aga, Vika and Nastia all won junior majors.
But so did players like Flipkens and Dushevina.

The mentally tough ones will keep improving

#10 ·

Some may like it but that would be bad for the WTA.

The Tour needs some major stars once Venus, Serena and Maria retire.
The spectators/viewers will want to see some big rivalries, not unknow #1 vs unknow #2 in the USO Final and unknow #3 vs unknow #4 in the Wimbledon final.

Most of the current top 10 is unknow to the general public, I can't imagine what would it be with 16 straight different winners.

#11 ·

This is really astonishing. It seems incredibly improbable that a streak like this would continue for so long. And I do think we're probably going to see more of this in the real slams in the future too. I think we're going to see a lot of years with 4 different slam winners.

#15 ·

What does it tell us about the future of women tennis? Does it reflect the senior grand slam results in the future?
No, it doesn't.

Junior grand slam champions:
5. Australian Open 2008 - Arantxa Rus (Netherlands)
6. French Open 2008 - Simona Halep (Romania)
7. Wimbledon 2008 - Laura Robson (United Kingdom)
8. US Open 2008 - Coco Vandeweghe (USA)
9. Australian Open 2009 - Ksenia Pervak (Russia)
10. French Open 2009 - Kristina Mladenovic (France)
11. Wimbledon 2009 - Noppawan Lertcheewakarn (Thailand)
12. US Open 2009 - Heather Watson (United Kingdom)
Generation Wack :hearts:

#17 ·

"Future" reflection :unsure:. More like, current reflection.
Well, we aren't having 16 different grand slam winners in a row right now :lol:

#18 ·

The slam winners were veterans this year. Kim is the youngest, and she was around 10 years ago.

#67 ·

The slam winners were veterans this year. Kim is the youngest, and she was around 10 years ago.
Kim is the youngest among winners of last 8 slams, that's 2 whole years! And except for Caro's fluke trip in USO09, Bepa is the youngest finalist. Are the younger generations just quietly waiting for their retirement?:eek:

#20 ·

isn't this, like, the regular state of affairs?

junior grand slam results don't say much, especially if you look at just winners. most girls who win a junior grand slam do so in their last year as juniors and don't ave time to repeat the success. the age of the winner also matters because winning the junior grand slam at 17 isn't saying much about your potential.

plus when was the last time that a girl who won a gs as junior also won it as a pro? on the other hand many girls who lost in the final of a junior gs became gs champions later. i can think of a few - ana, kim, sharapova.

girls with potential to win slams switch to the wta tour early.

#22 ·

isn't this, like, the regular state of affairs?

junior grand slam results don't say much, especially if you look at just winners. most girls who win a junior grand slam do so in their last year as juniors and don't ave time to repeat the success. the age of the winner also matters because winning the junior grand slam at 17 isn't saying much about your potential.

plus when was the last time that a girl who won a gs as junior also won it as a pro? on the other hand many girls who lost in the final of a junior gs became gs champions later. i can think of a few - ana, kim, sharapova.

girls with potential to win slams switch to the wta tour early.
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=381295
by this list, the last one to win a GS both in juniors and pros was Henin:scared:
Kuznetsova also belongs to that list with Ivanovic, Clijsters and Sharapova.

#24 ·

^ But Robson is 1994 :lol:

#27 ·

Age when they won this GS:
Pavlyuchenkova (15)
Cornet (17)
Radwańska (16)
Kučová (17)
Rus (17)
Halep (15)
Robson (14)
Vandeweghe (16)
Pervak (17)
Mladenovic (16)
Lertcheewakarn (17)
Watson (17)
Karolina Pliskova (17)
Svitolina (15)
Kristyna Pliskova (18)
Gavrilova (16)

#28 ·

Age when they won this GS:
Pavlyuchenkova (15)
Cornet (17)
Radwańska (16)
Kučová (17)
Rus (17)
Halep (15)
Robson (14)
Vandeweghe (16)
Pervak (17)
Mladenovic (16)
Lertcheewakarn (17)
Watson (17)
Karolina Pliskova (17)
Svitolina (15)
Kristyna Pliskova (18)
Gavrilova (16)
Interesting. It seems that the 14 and 15 yr old winners have the bigger upside. Probably because winning at 15 against 18 yr olds that should be better simulates being the 18 yr old that has to make a living beating the 28 yr old tour veteran.

#29 ·

I actually do anticipate a surge in one-slam wonders, and I also predict that FO will no longer be the primary source of same.

#30 ·

OMG! Rus and Weghe Weghe won GS! :weirdo: :eek: :speakles:

#31 ·

I don't know why people always use the AER to justify most of these players not making any mark on the WTA.

The last top players to not be subjected to the AER were Hingis and Venus, and Venus barely played until she was 17 anyway. From Serena and Anna onwards, every player has been subject to the same restrictions, yet players such as the aforementioned, Kim, Justine, Maria, Ivanovic, Vaidisova, Golovin etc. have all excelled at young ages.

The reason for this is purely down to the fact that they are/were far better, talented and more capable players than the upcoming bunch. With better mentalities as well.

#32 ·

I don't think we'll get many different Grand Slam winners. I think there will be a small group of outstanding players who are head and shoulders above the rest and then the also-rans. The outstanding ones will not necessarily be the recent junior Grand Slam winners but the generation before such as Wozniacki, Safina, Ivanovic, Rezai or Kvitova. They might be joined by Gavrilova, Robson and Stephens in the scramble for Grand Slam wins.

#33 ·

I think it's unlikely we'll have so many different winners. I think Robson will dominate winning the majority of the Slams but there will be some crumbs left for other up-and-coming players (Stephens, Watson, Kichenok, Khromacheva). As the older better players retire Rezai, Wickmayer and Petkovic could grab one or two as well. And I also expect De Brito to climb up the rankings as well.

#34 ·
Re: 17 successive junior slams in a row won by different girls: WTA's future reflecti

The streak just increased to 17 now:

Last 17 junior grand slam champions:
0. US Open 2006 - Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (Russia)
1. Australian Open 2007 - Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (Russia)
2. French Open 2007 - Alize Cornet (France)
3. Wimbledon 2007 - Urszula Radwańska (Poland)
4. US Open 2007 - Kristína Kučová (Slovakia)
5. Australian Open 2008 - Arantxa Rus (Netherlands)
6. French Open 2008 - Simona Halep (Romania)
7. Wimbledon 2008 - Laura Robson (United Kingdom)
8. US Open 2008 - Coco Vandeweghe (USA)
9. Australian Open 2009 - Ksenia Pervak (Russia)
10. French Open 2009 - Kristina Mladenovic (France)
11. Wimbledon 2009 - Noppawan Lertcheewakarn (Thailand)
12. US Open 2009 - Heather Watson (United Kingdom)
13. Australian Open 2010 - Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic)
14. French Open 2010 - Elina Svitolina (Ukraine)
15. Wimbledon 2010 - Kristyna Pliskova (Czech Republic)
16. US Open 2010 - Daria Gavrilova (Russia)
17. Australian Open 2011 - An-Sophie Mestach (Belgium)

#40 ·
Re: 17 successive junior slams in a row won by different girls: WTA's future reflecti

The streak just increased to 17 now:
it doesnt mean anything
whole point of junior slam winners doesnt mean they will go onto become #1 WTA or slam winners
top juniors getting into WTA top 100 and regularly playing WTA events = success.

#35 ·

last junior AO winner who has won a slam : Sue Barker 1975
last junior fo winner who has won a slam : Justine Henin 1997
last junior wy winner who has won a slam : Amélie Mauresmo 1996
last junior us winner who has won a slam : Lindsay Davenport 1992

And I think that only 19 GS junior titles (out of 235) have been won by future GS champ.

Junior slams are not important at all. It tells nothing about WTA.

#44 ·

last junior AO winner who has won a slam : Sue Barker 1975
last junior fo winner who has won a slam : Justine Henin 1997
last junior wy winner who has won a slam : Amélie Mauresmo 1996
last junior us winner who has won a slam : Lindsay Davenport 1992
Somewhat misleading as in recent years Junior Slam RUs have gone on to do great things.

#36 ·

I think even if another great talent came up, there is so much money in the sport now, I'm not sure if any player in the future will try to max out their career.
Dementieva should not have retired healthy in her 20's, but she's a multi-millionaire and has options.

When you read about fashion lines, and selling products, these are new distractions that come from having the high profile endorsement deals

The Navratilova days are over. Great players wont have long careers at the top anymore, imo

#47 ·

I think even if another great talent came up, there is so much money in the sport now, I'm not sure if any player in the future will try to max out their career.
Dementieva should not have retired healthy in her 20's, but she's a multi-millionaire and has options.

When you read about fashion lines, and selling products, these are new distractions that come from having the high profile endorsement deals

The Navratilova days are over. Great players wont have long careers at the top anymore, imo
If Dementieva really wants that major title she will regret retiring at a time when it has opened up for her. Players her age are getting their chance to win. She would be competitive with Zvonareva, Na, Woz Woz and Schiavone. Hard to know what she really wants.

#37 ·

This really is an astonishing streak. I wonder how long it will last. And yeah, I do believe that it suggests that there will be fewer dominant players in the future. It also makes it very difficult to figure out which of the juniors will go on to win slams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.