Big West - matches 2010-11 - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 18th, 2011, 04:06 AM   #151
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Big West - matches 2010-11

from LBSU website;

DOUBLES
Dallara/Malenovska, LBSU def. Fellerhoff/Shine, UL 8-5
Alawi/Manasse, LBSU def. Harris/Villajuan, UL 8-3
Cantlay/Luzar, LBSU def. Brown/Duncan, UL 8-2

SINGLES
Julia Fellerhoff, UL def. Anais Dallara, LBSU 6-3, 3-6, 11-9
Klaudia Malenovska, LBSU def. Mandy Brown, UL 6-0, 6-3
Rebecca Shine, UL def. Deborah Armstrong, LBSU 6-4, 1-6, 10-4
Jaklin Alawi, LBSU def. Kaysara Mandry, UL 6-1, 6-2
Rachel Manasse, LBSU def. Amelia Harris, UL 6-1, 6-2
Sarah Cantlay, LBSU def. Gabrielle Duncan, UL 6-0, 6-1

I'll upload the photos later, form and etc, find out if you guys are in there
And I didn't even know that the 3rd was a tiebreaker, I thought no. 1 was ended due to injury or something
And an elderly gentleman approached me and asked some questions (couldn't hear clearly so just shrugged off), I was startled, thinking if it was form

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Mar 18th, 2011 at 04:36 AM.
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 18th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #152
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: UC Irvine

Here's an article about UCI's Kristina Smith being a 3rd generation anteater.

Clan of the Anteaters
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #153
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

LB again falls short at Pepperdine. Third year in a row to be close 4-3 loss although this year they did not have a match point.

I have been watching on the live scoring. LB won doubles but Armstrong/Alawi/Manasse are not nearly what they were a year ago. Not even close.

That is too bad because Malenovska won in straight sets and Dallara won 7-5 in the third set. THE REST OF THE TEAM SHOULD APOLOGIZE TO BOTH OF THEM. For Alawi, last year's # 1, to be losing at # 4 is pathetic. And Manasse is just a waste of scholarship at this point.

If coach can find a way to REVIVE the three I mentioned than this team would be really be something. This is very disappointing so far this year. It is a good team but it should be so much better.

Pepperdine 4 Long Beach State 3

#1 SINGLES 1 2 3 Notes
Anais Dallara, Long Beach State 3 6 7 Order of finish: 6
Arianna Colffer, Pepperdine 6 3 5

#2 SINGLES 1 2 3 Notes
Klaudia Malenovska, Long Beach State 6 6 Order of finish: 4
Ale Granillo, Pepperdine 3 4

#3 SINGLES 1 2 3 Notes
Deborah Armstrong, Long Beach State 3 2 Order of finish: 2
Anamika Bhargava, Pepperdine 6 6

#4 SINGLES 1 2 3 Notes
Jaklin Alawi, Long Beach State 6 3 Order of finish: 5
Marie Zalameda, Pepperdine 7 6

#5 SINGLES 1 2 3 Notes
Rachel Manasse, Long Beach State 0 3 Order of finish: 3
Khunpak Issara, Pepperdine 6 6

#6 SINGLES 1 2 3 Notes
Sarah Cantlay, Long Beach State 1 0 Order of finish: 1
Andrea Oates, Pepperdine 6 6

#1 DOUBLES 1 2 3 Notes
Anais Dallara/Klaudia Malenovska, Long Beach State 8 Order of finish: 1
Khunpak Issara/Marie Zalameda, Pepperdine 6

#2 DOUBLES 1 2 3 Notes
Jaklin Alawi/Rachel Manasse, Long Beach State 8 Order of finish: 3
Anamika Bhargava/Ale Granillo, Pepperdine 4

#3 DOUBLES 1 2 3 Notes
Sarah Cantlay/Julie Luzar, Long Beach State 6 Order of finish: 2
Andrea Oates/Arianna Colffer, Pepperdine 8

Last edited by beachman49 : Mar 19th, 2011 at 01:00 AM.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #154
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Updates

#37 Pepperdine def. #44 Long Beach St. 4-3

1. Dallara/Malenovska (LBS) def. Issara/Zalamed 8-6
2. Alawi/Manasse (LBS) def. Bhargava/Granillo 8-4
3. Oates/Colffer (Pep) def. Cantlay/Luzar 8-6

1. Dallara (LBS) def. Colffer 3-6,6-3,7-5
2. Malenovska (LBS) def. Granillo 6-3,6-4

3. Bhargava (Pep) def. Armstrong 6-3,6-2
4. Zalameda (Pep) def. Alawi 7-6,6-3
5. Issara (Pep) def. Manasse 6-0,6-3
6. Oates (Pep) def. Cantlay 6-1,6-0

- Look at Pepperdine dominate and sweep in straight sets #3, #4, #5 and #6 singles.

- This is probably on paper the best tennis team in Long Beach St. history losing against a weakened Pepperdine team who is missing Ali Walters.

- Long Beach St. is now 0-18 lifetime against the waves in women's tennis.

- If the best team in LBS history couldn't do it then maybe LBS will NEVER beat Pepperdine!
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #155
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

I cannot argue that. When Alawi has eight set points today and loses the first set than I cannot argue your suggestion.

Though I would argue the 2006 team was the most talented (#18 in the country, only BW team to ever be a # 2 seed or win a round in post season).

Pepperdine did play their full line up today (without Walters who seems out for the year) as opposed to the weaker line ups versus Hawaii, Sac State and San Diego State. They are a good team (5-2 loser to USC last week and have beat Texas) but LB had the opportunity at # 4 singles and blew it. Again.

Thank goodness under achieving was still good enought to beat UCI (without Malenovska) a few weeks ago. It was not good enough with match points blown vs UCSB or BC though. Brutal season.

I will say Dallara and Malenovska are really good right now. Full of fight and fun to watch. No doubt they will lose matches but they are fun to watch. I would have to agree with Beachman that apologies are in order from the other girls.

IMO, LB is the best BW school on paper but the Cal Poly depth at 3-6 makes them the prohibitive favorite. It is about finding four points and LB seems to be stuck at 3 far to often this year (3 times now). But that is why the play the matches.

Maybe LB can put a cast on Manasse and move her to # 3? That's how you win Big West titles when you are short one point, right? Just sayin!

Last edited by form : Mar 19th, 2011 at 05:00 AM.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #156
country flag form

Big West bubble popping? UTA plays Cal Poly in SB tomorrow.

# 66 UT Arlington 6, # 59 UCSB 1

Doubles
1. Lozano/Dockendorf (UCSB) vs. Negreanu/Aquist (UTA) UTA 8-4
2. Damion/Meehan (UCSB) vs. Martinez/Matovicova (UTA) UTA 8-5
3. Novak/Cos (UCSB) vs. D'ortona/Mayuk (UTA) UTA 8-2

Singles
1. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) vs. Dalana Negreanu (UTA) UTA 6-3,5-7,1-0 (10-4)
2.Jill Damion (UCSB) vs. Linda Aqvist (UTA) UTA 6-4, 6-2
3. Sofia Novak (UCSB) vs. Maria Martinez (UTA) UTA 7-6, 6-3
4. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) vs. Natalia Mayuk (UTA) UTA 6-2, 6-3
5. Paola Cos (UCSB) vs. Katarina Micochova (UTA) UCSB 6-2, 6-4
6. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) vs. Glada D'ortona (UTA) UTA 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 (10-2)
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #157
country flag gouci

#67 Fresno St. def. Pacific 5-2

CSUN def. Columbia 5-2

#67 Texas Arlington def. #59 UCSB 6-1

- UCSB still hasn't pulled their weight in non-conference.
Cal Poly better beat TX Arlington to get the split for the Big West.

#53 Kansas St. def. #10 Baylor 4-3

- Baylor uses 2 bench players and now Kansas St. may end up stealing one of the precious NCAA at-large spots.

Hey Form did you find out if they changed things by spinning the computer twice each week this season?

Seems like LBS's ranked wins over UCI & SDSU has already kicked in. And UC Davis hasn't beaten anyone ranked except UCI so it seems like that has kicked in already too.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #158
country flag form

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
CSUN def. Columbia 5-2

- UCSB still hasn't pulled their weight in non-conference.
Cal Poly better beat TX Arlington to get the split for the Big West.

#53 Kansas St. def. #10 Baylor 4-3

- Baylor uses 2 bench players and now Kansas St. may end up stealing one of the precious NCAA at-large spots.

Hey Form did you find out if they changed things by spinning the computer twice each week this season?

Seems like LBS's ranked wins over UCI & SDSU has already kicked in. And UC Davis hasn't beaten anyone ranked except UCI so it seems like that has kicked in already too.

Gouci, this post is going to frighten you... I agree with it all

CSUN will be whoever finishes # 3 in Big West bad first round nightmare. They are just good enough to wing someone.

UCSB is not ranked if LB does not choke away that match: see Alawi and Manasse; does that sound familiar? (I will help you... UCSB 4-3 loss was those two, Boston College 4-3 choke were Alawi and Armstrong who had multiple match points, Pepp 4-3 loss was Alawi with 8 first set points and Armstrong and Manasse who failed to compete. LB really should be 14-1 if not for multiple veterans not holding up their end. Only USC has 'beat' LB, the others are matches LB gave away. They are good teams but LB had opportunities to win all three).

CP gets first real test today on neutral site

YES, Baylor just hurt Big West as they become yet another team to mess with line up and get burned this year (ask Pepperdine who have done it multiple times). These odd ball wins are really junking the rankings.

YES, it does appear they spun the rankings twice. Which means we have no clue what rankings might look like this week? In the end, Big West will only get one team in unless LB were to run off a series of wins (DePaul, Oregon, Cal Poly, Davis). I am not sure that would even be enough and I'd more likely bet on LB going .500 with a bunch of 4-3 wins or loses in that schedule. I think Big West teams will likely finish 45-60 area.

Ranking could be stronger but having two of the worst team in D1 tennis in the league does not help either. Last year at this time the ITA accidentally posted the entire 300+ team list for a few hours and CS Fulleron was dead last. One year later neither Fullerton or Riverside have a D1 win this season (Bakersfield is still in their conditional transition period and non-scholarship in tennis too). So the Titans/Highlanders are either last or arguably close to it again. Those matches don't exactly help the rankings when the season ends.

Last edited by form : Mar 19th, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #159
country flag RobertCB

RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice

If at the start of the season you told me that LBSU would win the doubles point and that both Anais and Klaudia would win at one and two against Pepperdine, I would have bet the house that the team could have picked up a point down the line up. That would be especially true if I knew Jacki and Rachel would be playing at the four and five position. Well, I would be homeless now pushing a shopping cart and scratching my head in disbelief. I have to think that someone down the line will get their act together sooner or later but all the key out of conference matches are flying by. Regardless if LBSU wins the auto bid to the NCAA tourney, this will be a disappointing season since many of us will be thinking about what could have been if the players just played to their potential. The trip to middle America could change all that if the team pulls a couple of upsets but I will not be betting the shopping cart this time around.
RobertCB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 03:13 AM   #160
country flag gouci

Some thoughts from above.

- Jenifer Widjaja lost to Fresno St.'s Marianne Jodoin. It doesn't look like Widjaja will be ranked at season's end and may not go to the NCAA singles tournament. Widjaja can win Big West Player of the Year but the conference may not have a NCAA singles representative.
- For all the ranked teams the Big West has it doesn't have any ranked singles players. Last season Widjaja was able to feed on the rankings of other Big West #1s like Matzenauer and Novak.

- Wyoming defeated Texas-Arlington 5-2 and UCSB destroyed Wyoming 7-0 so UCSB dropped another stinker losing to UTA. However this misstep may not hurt UCSB. A win over #59 UCSB will keeps #66 UTA ranked. A win over ranked UTA & #56 UCI will get Wyoming ranked. And a ranked Wyoming gives UCSB another ranked win besides LBS.

Dartmouth def. CSUN 6-1

- CSUN missing Nina Jaworowski and loses three 3 setters plus a tight #3 doubles.

#62 San Diego St. def. #42 Sac. St. 5-2

1. TRUNK, Julia (SDSU) def. KAPSHAI, Tatsiana (SAC) 6-4, 6-3

#57 Cal Poly def. #66 Texas Arlington 5-1
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #161
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

So Ellison sisters are back and winning

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #162
country flag gouci

3/20/11

#56 UCI def. Dartmouth 4-2

1. Courtney Byron (UCI) def. Molly Scott (DC) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2

- Nice win by Byron over a solid player.

Last edited by gouci : Mar 20th, 2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:50 AM   #163
country flag gouci

The match #39 St. Mary's at #59 UCSB today has been postponed to Mon. 3/28.

St. Mary's plays at Pepperdine Sun. 3/27 and at UCSB Mon. 3/28. Catching St. Mary's on the 2nd game of back to back road games gives UCSB a slight advantage. Just maybe UCSB can pull their weight in non-conference and upset a slightly tired St. Marys team.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 08:12 PM   #164
country flag gouci

Rankings

3/22/11 rankings

42. Long Beach St. 44
47. Cal Poly 57
60. UC Davis 74
62. UC Irvine 56
66. UCSB 59

- Maybe UC Davis' win against UCI just kicked in this week after all?

44. San Diego St. 62
63. Oregon 54
68. Wyoming NR
72. Dartmouth NR
74. Santa Clara NR

- I expect SDSU's rise to get CSUN ranked next week and give LBS a boost into the 30s.
- As expected Wyoming got ranked. This should give UCSB a boost next week.
- Dartmouth getting ranked should give UCI a rankings boost next week.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 04:11 AM   #165
country flag gouci

Re: Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
3/22/11 rankings

42. Long Beach St. 44
47. Cal Poly 57
60. UC Davis 74
62. UC Irvine 56
66. UCSB 59

- Maybe UC Davis' win against UCI just kicked in this week after all?
The rankings have a footnote which says:

"The ITA National Ranking Committee reviews the computer rankings from teams ranked No. 51-75 and has the authority to adjust rankings."

I wonder if the ranking for UC Davis was adjusted to place them above UCI or did Davis' win over UCI just kick in this week?

3/22/11

#16 Arizona St. def. #62 UCI 7-0

#47 Cal Poly def. #72 Dartmouth 4-3