Kerber : How to play a Forehand down the line. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 11th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #1
Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute
Kerber : How to play a Forehand down the line.

http://www.thetennisspace.com/kerber...down-the-line/

Exclusive tips from Angelique Kerber on ‘How to hit a forehand down the line’:
-
Make sure you’re moving forward, and not backwards, when you hit the ball.
-
Play the shot with a little more topspin than you would do if you were going cross-court. ”It’s a more difficult shot than going cross-court because when you go down the line you are trying to hit the ball over the highest point of the net. So play the shot with perhaps a little more topspin than you would a cross-court shot to help lift the ball over the net. But just a little bit, and not too much, as if you hit this flat it is a more aggressive shot.”
-
You need to wait for your opportunities to play the shot. “You can’t play this ball when you are somewhere behind the baseline. So you need to wait until you have your chance. If you’re a long way back, it’s better to go for cross-court. Get back into the rally and then, if you have a shorter ball, and you’re moving forward, then go for that forehand down the line.”
-
But then when you do hit it, go for it 100 per cent. “You have to trust your shot. Practise lots, because when you’ve played this shot a lot, some day you can do this.”

She has the best FH DTL on the tour imo. It's powerful, accurate and she can direct the ball down the line with ease. She has so much confidence in that shot clearly.

Last edited by Setsuna. : Apr 19th, 2014 at 05:39 AM.
Setsuna. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 11th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #2
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kerber : How to play a Forehand down the line.

I need tips on this. Nonexistent shot in my game .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Pops Maellard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Eldest

Eldest has a reputation beyond repute Eldest has a reputation beyond repute Eldest has a reputation beyond repute Eldest has a reputation beyond repute Eldest has a reputation beyond repute Eldest has a reputation beyond repute Eldest has a reputation beyond repute Eldest has a reputation beyond repute Eldest has a reputation beyond repute Eldest has a reputation beyond repute Eldest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna. View Post

She has the best FH DTL on the tour imo.
No way
Eldest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #4
serty

serty has a brilliant future serty has a brilliant future serty has a brilliant future serty has a brilliant future serty has a brilliant future serty has a brilliant future serty has a brilliant future serty has a brilliant future serty has a brilliant future serty has a brilliant future serty has a brilliant future

Quote:
She has the best FH DTL on the tour imo. It's powerful, accurate and she can direct the ball down the line with ease. She has so much confidence in that shot clearly.
serty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Maellard View Post
I need tips on this. Nonexistent shot in my game .
My FH DTL isn't good either. I make a lot of errors with it. Probably because I hit the ball very flat most of the time.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #6
country flag moodin0931

moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute

Good tips but I think its kind of self explanatory
moodin0931 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #7
country flag mauresmofan

mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My FH DTL isn't good either. I make a lot of errors with it. Probably because I hit the ball very flat most of the time.
I'm not really a tennis player but play a lot of squash and the best way to develop a shot you want is to do some drills. For example if one player plays a cross court shot constantly while the other hits straight down the line. Doesn't matter if the shots go out just try and maintain the rally for as long as possible with as much control as possible. Don't go for out and out winners just a nice easy tempo that allows both of you to play as many shots as possible in a rally and develop a rhythm.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #8
country flag $uricate
Step to this. I dare you.

$uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute

I hear they're bringing Dementieva out of retirement to do the tip for backhand down the line.

PopCon 2013.
$uricate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think it's more a mental thing with me . I can hit them I'm sure .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #10
country flag LCS

LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uricate View Post
I hear they're bringing Dementieva out of retirement to do the tip for backhand down the line.
Not cool.
W: (12) Australian Open (11) 50K Monzon, Toronto F: (12) Montreal (09) 25K Redding, Bali YEC (08) Memphis, Stanford, 100K Krakow SF: (13) Toronto (12) Estoril Open (09) Roland Garros, Stanford (08) Auckland, Rome, Eastbourne, New Haven
Doubles W: (11) Hobart (09) 25K Redding (08) Doha, Istanbul (07) Estoril Open F: (12) Pattaya, Roland Garros, Stanford (11) Guangzhou(08) Memphis, Wimbledon, New Haven (07) Bali SF: (11) Trnava (10) Stuttgart (08) Budapest (07)Birmingham, US Open QF: (12) Australian Open (11) Roland Garros
LCS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #11
Quiche

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCS View Post
Not cool.
That was pretty funny actually .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #12
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

They're quite a few to master this shot as Angie, so I don't know if she's the best at it. Kvitova, Lisicki, Safarova, Bouchard among others do it perfectly.
Hugues Daniel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #13
country flag Letigre

Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute

Kerber can consistently play these FH down the line, especially on the run, on automatic pilot. She's got it totally under control, and I don't care if she hasn't got the power of Kvitova or Serena, she is almost flawless with this shot.
Letigre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #14
JJ Style!

JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrell View Post
Kerber can consistently play these FH down the line, especially on the run, on automatic pilot. She's got it totally under control, and I don't care if she hasn't got the power of Kvitova or Serena, she is almost flawless with this shot.
Kerber's FHTDL reminds me of Jankovic's BHTDL in her prime. Very accurate with deceptive power.
JJ Style! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #15
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

It's my favourite shot! I think it's a really natural shot to hit. Good tips from Kerber.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote