Davenport, Seles commit to Shriver event - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 10:19 AM   #1
ajayares

ajayares is a name known to all ajayares is a name known to all ajayares is a name known to all ajayares is a name known to all ajayares is a name known to all ajayares is a name known to all ajayares is a name known to all ajayares is a name known to all ajayares is a name known to all ajayares is a name known to all ajayares is a name known to all
Davenport, Seles commit to Shriver event

Davenport, Seles commit to Shriver event
Top 10 players highlight Dec. 10 benefit at Arena
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Sandra McKee
Sun Staff
Originally published October 17, 2002

Over the years, Pam Shriver, Baltimore's Hall of Fame tennis player, has brought the best players in the world to her hometown to play in her annual charity event at the Baltimore Arena.
This year, because of schedules that have committed many players to tournaments overseas, putting the 17th Chevy Chase Bank Tennis Challenge together really has been a challenge for Shriver. She received the final commitments in just the past few days.

But among players she will announce at a news conference today for the Dec. 10 event are two of the most admired women in the game - Lindsay Davenport and Monica Seles, both former No. 1 players in the world.

Seles is currently ranked No. 7, and Davenport, who returned to the game in August after missing most of the year after knee surgery, is No. 10.

"We are excited about the match we've put together," Shriver said from her California home. "We were struggling for a long time. We pursued both men and women players. On the women's side, we tried for the Williams sisters, Venus, Serena or both, and Jennifer Capriati, and on the men's side we tried for [Andre] Agassi, [Andy] Roddick and [Pete] Sampras."

At the same time, Shriver said she kept her eyes on Davenport and Seles, and when it became apparent that those first six players could not fit the Baltimore tournament into their schedules, she went hard after the two women who have bailed her out in the past.

Seles appeared here in 1990, 1996 and 1997. The last time, she was a late entry, stepping in for Steffi Graf, who backed out because of injury. It was a similar situation in 1998, when Davenport came to the rescue, when Graf was again hurt, this time the week before the event.

The arena crowd responded so warmly to Davenport, and she had such a good time, she came back again the next year.

Davenport finished last season at No. 1 before her surgery, and Seles continues to compete hard against those ranked above her.

"Both women are good citizens," Shriver said. "They are something of a throwback. ... They're involved with the sport off the tennis court, and they care. Even though they are not linked to the Billie Jean King era, they certainly understand the role of tennis player beyond a tennis match, and I think Baltimore appreciates and responds to the kind of effort they give."

Shriver will not be at today's news conference. She has recently undergone a minor medical procedure that precludes travel for a few weeks. Shriver said she plans to be here for the tournament in December.

Over the past 16 years, the event has raised more than $3 million for children's charities, through the Baltimore Community Foundation.

Copyright © 2002, The Baltimore Sun
http://www.sunspot.net/sports/tennis...ports%2Dtennis
ajayares is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 10:58 AM   #2
essielewis

essielewis is just really nice essielewis is just really nice essielewis is just really nice essielewis is just really nice essielewis is just really nice essielewis is just really nice essielewis is just really nice essielewis is just really nice essielewis is just really nice essielewis is just really nice essielewis is just really nice
It's nice that Shriver has a charity and raises money for it but $3 million in 16 years isn't very much. In fact, last year the tournament raised more than it has ever raised (over $1 million) because Agassi and Roddick were there.

Wonder what the "minor medical procedure" was?
essielewis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:47 PM   #3
country flag mn73

mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold
Seles hasn't played on the WTA Tour for weeks and yet I keep hearing her name commited to exhibition events in the off-season. Why doesn't she just stay at home and relax and prepare for the Aussie Open!!!

Jelena Jankovic : US Open finalist 2008 and World No. 1

Jennifer Capriati : 3 Grand Slams, Olympic Gold and World No.1

[center]Rafael Nadal : 10 Grand Slams, Olympic Gold and World No.1 [/center]
mn73 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:48 PM   #4
country flag Mattographer
TF's Resident Photographer

Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute
Seles playing exhibitions too many

Listen to the silence. That's who I am and what I like.
Mattographer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:12 PM   #5
country flag CanadianBoy21

CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute
Shows what kind of person Monica is!
She cares about others first, then herself...She has a really big heart, it is just sad to see not many other players like her.
She would rather be #10 and help people, then be top 4 and not give shit about anyone. Sad not to see Venus & Serena, but I can understand why they didn't come, Serena has been #1 player, and with that comes responsibility, like appearances, and she is acting, fashion...Venus has been struggling and she hates playing tennis these few months, understandible. Same with Capriati, plus she is sick. Agassi also, he is 32 and can't afford to run everywhere, he has done enough charities in his career anyways. Roddick is trying to get into top 8 to qualify, and I doubt a charity is on a kid's mind anyways, but it's in december the charity.
I wish I was a top 5 player or top 10, I would run to these charities, it's what I play for, not only the money, not the ranking, but to show that u appreciate what u have, because not all people have the ability to walk, talk, hear, see, etc...
Oh I wish I was a pro
Oh I wish
CanadianBoy21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:36 PM   #6
anshu19

anshu19 is an unknown quantity at this point anshu19 is an unknown quantity at this point anshu19 is an unknown quantity at this point anshu19 is an unknown quantity at this point anshu19 is an unknown quantity at this point anshu19 is an unknown quantity at this point anshu19 is an unknown quantity at this point anshu19 is an unknown quantity at this point anshu19 is an unknown quantity at this point anshu19 is an unknown quantity at this point anshu19 is an unknown quantity at this point
and don't forget monica gets appearance fee's for most of these exhibitions....she gets a good packet...but more than tht she just enjoys playing without the pressure of a exhibition of winning/losing....though she always wins!
anshu19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote