Serena is the woman with the 6th most weeks at number one! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:16 PM   #1
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute
Serena is the woman with the 6th most weeks at number one!

I just learnt this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTA_num...Weeks_at_No._1

1. Steffi Graf 377
2. Martina Navratilova 332
3. Chris Evert 260
4. Martina Hingis 209
5. Monica Seles 178
6. Serena Williams * 118 (119 guaranteed next week)
7. Justine Henin * 117
8. Lindsay Davenport 98
9. Amélie Mauresmo 39
10. Dinara Safina * 26

* Active players.

-------------------

Just a bit of light reading as an appendix to this bombshell
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle1292868.ece
Williams is lost cause
For all her talk, Serena Williams will never return to the top again
Pat Cash

IF ANYBODY is qualified to make deluded statements about tennis, it is a former world No 1 and winner of seven Grand Slam titles. But when Serena Williams arrives in Australia on her first foreign playing trip in a year and announces that it is only a matter of time before she is again dominating the sport, it’s time to tell her to get real.

Tennis is unforgiving. You can’t let it slide down the list of priorities, only to realise suddenly that playing the sport was what you wanted to do all along. Many have tried to turn back the clock, but nearly all have failed. That list includes Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe, Martina Hingis and, for different reasons, Monica Seles.

Admittedly this quartet experienced some success. The exploits of Hingis reaffirm the belief that a good champion never completely loses the gift, but she has gone only a fraction of the way and the No 1 ranking she held for a couple of years is far out of reach. Why? Tennis moved on in her absence.

The only players I can recall who let things slip, only to climb back to the top, were Andre Agassi and Jennifer Capriati. Williams should ask herself if she has the same dedication. And is she prepared to make the sacrifices? The answer is obvious.

As the saying so often used by McEnroe goes: “The older I get, the better player I used to be.” I take issue with Mac over many things, but not the merits of those words.

Williams may be in better physical shape this year than when she pitched up for the 2006 Australian Open, but her three matches in Hobart last week were her first in tournament play since the US Open almost four months ago. Add to that the fact that last year she opted not to play outside the US after losing in the third round in Melbourne and you cannot fail to agree that her application is lacking.

The Williams sisters changed the face of women’s tennis, taking power play to previously unimaginable levels. They blazed everybody else out of their path. But Serena clearly has a limited attention span. At her peak she had no patience in the way she played her tennis. Now she does not appear to have the fortitude to stick at what she is trying to do.

I never experienced a fraction of the success and dominance that she enjoyed, but there came a time in my career when everything associated with being a top player seemed suffocating. I wanted to do different things and the thought of heading to the practice court seemed like purgatory. Eventually I realised how much tennis meant to me and tried to make up for lost time, but although the spirit was willing, the body was not. And it made for years of frustration.

In the same way I maintained that my main interest was aspiring to be a rock musician for a couple of years, Williams said she was an actress. She also got involved in the fashion world and seemed to love every second of it. Good on her. She is entitled to do whatever she wants, and if it made her happy, what more could she ask?

Everybody knows she and Venus had no real choice when their father, Richard, decided that much of their childhood would be spent hitting tennis balls. Who can be surprised that this promotes a desire to do something different? But to make

such a crass statement on her arrival in Australia was an insult to Amelie Mauresmo and Maria Sharapova, who have risen to the top of the game in her absence.

They are the new winning breed. They are tall and hit the ball just as hard as the Williams sisters, if not harder. Coming through are Jelena Jankovic, Nicole Vaidisova and Ana Ivanovic, who possess similar firepower and just need a little more experience.

There is so much more depth to the women’s game nowadays. No longer do we disregard the first week of a Grand Slam as a warm-up for the real confrontations that are to come.

I still don’t expect too many upsets before the quarter-finals, but neither do I expect Serena Williams, currently the world’s 81st-ranked player, with eight Americans above her in the rankings, to be in the mix at the sharp end of the tournament.
The Witch-king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:23 PM   #2
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serena is the woman with the 6th most weeks at number one!

Amaze feet.

██████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:25 PM   #3
country flag ampers&
Senior Bitch.

ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute

I still die at that Pat Cash article every time I read it.
ampers& is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:26 PM   #4
Deck

Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future

only a matter of time till she gets Graf and Navratilova
oh wait, that's a 3
Deck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:27 PM   #5
country flag BlameSerena

BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Serena
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:37 PM   #6
country flag gmokb

gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miching~Mallecho View Post

I still die at that Pat Cash article every time I read it.
Glad to see that I am not the only one He must feel like a fool now
gmokb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:05 PM   #7
country flag StephenUK

StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Pat Cash (and Chris Evert for that matter) deserve some credit for spurring Serena on. It just goes to show how things have changed from 2006-7. In the last 2 years, Serena has pretty much ruled the roost and this has been reflected by all those extra weeks at No 1 she has garnered recently, allowing her to move above Justine Henin, when at one time, she seemed a mile behind her.

It is quite amazing that she has managed to hold on to the No 1 ranking this year despite playing so little - a real testament to the quality of her play in the slams, and it must be said, to the weakness of the rest of the top 5.
StephenUK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:08 PM   #8
country flag matty

matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute

AMAZING -- CONGRATS, SERENA !!!

ooo h a n t u c h o v a ooo a z a r e n k a ooo s w i l l i a m s ooo v w i l l i a m s ooo k e y s ooo m a t t e k - s a n d s ooo k u z n e t s o v a ooo
matty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:19 PM   #9
country flag shoryuken

shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute

awesome
\ /
I IV
serenaslam.tumblr.com
shoryuken is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:43 PM   #10
Serenita

Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing

Serenita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:45 PM   #11
country flag azinna

azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenUK View Post
Maybe Pat Cash (and Chris Evert for that matter) deserve some credit for spurring Serena on. It just goes to show how things have changed from 2006-7. In the last 2 years, Serena has pretty much ruled the roost and this has been reflected by all those extra weeks at No 1 she has garnered recently, allowing her to move above Justine Henin, when at one time, she seemed a mile behind her.

It is quite amazing that she has managed to hold on to the No 1 ranking this year despite playing so little - a real testament to the quality of her play in the slams, and it must be said, to the weakness of the rest of the top 5.
There's quite a bit of truth to this. Serena does do well when she's got something to prove, to herself primarily but also to others. To the extent that others do count for her, Evert, Cash, Collins, Carillo were the perfect replacement foil once Hingis and Capriati receded.

She was coming for Justine in the early spring of '08. That didn't work out as planned....but it gave her a fitter base to work with and improve upon. Now, I think it's probably 90% self-motivation.

Always on the lookout for a great tennis match.
azinna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:53 PM   #12
country flag vadin124

vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Jankovic and Wozniacki can both be Number 1 if they win the title?

Tennis player of the Millenium

Grand Slam Finalist | Career High Rank #9 | Queen of the Injury Time-Out

Venus | Dokic | Kirilenko | Robson
vadin124 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:54 PM   #13
country flag StephenUK

StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by azinna View Post
There's quite a bit of truth to this. Serena does do well when she's got something to prove, to herself primarily but also to others. To the extent that others do count for her, Evert, Cash, Collins, Carillo were the perfect replacement foil once Hingis and Capriati receded.

She was coming for Justine in the early spring of '08. That didn't work out as planned....but it gave her a fitter base to work with and improve upon. Now, I think it's probably 90% self-motivation.
Agreed. Another one who deserves some credit is that Mr So and So (was that what she called him?)she mentions in her autobiography, the boyfriend who dumped her who remains nameless but clearly was a huge motivating factor in her comeback, if the space he gets in her book is anything to go by!!!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:56 PM   #14
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenUK View Post
Agreed. Another one who deserves some credit is that Mr So and So (was that what she called him?)she mentions in her autobiography, the boyfriend who dumped her who remains nameless but clearly was a huge motivating factor in her comeback, if the space he gets in her book is anything to go by!!!
Lavar Arrington.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 05:01 PM   #15
country flag StephenUK

Thanks for that, Brickhouse.