Flapper girls-the roaring 1920s - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 11th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #166
country flag wally1

wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future
Re: Flapper girls-the roaring 1920s

Not sure if people outside the UK can hear this, but really interesting interview with Kitty Godfree (Wimbledon champion in 1924 and 26) from the BBC Desert Island discs program in 1987. She talks about her life and chooses her favourite music she'd take to a desert island.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features...b98a2#p009mld5
wally1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 12th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #167
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not sure if people outside the UK can hear this, but really interesting interview with Kitty Godfree (Wimbledon champion in 1924 and 26) from the BBC Desert Island discs program in 1987. She talks about her life and chooses her favourite music she'd take to a desert island.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features...b98a2#p009mld5
Thank you Wally!

BTW, for others outside the UK I wasn't able to hear it directly from the link, but if you download it plays just fine.

Last edited by Rollo : Jul 12th, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #168
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Found the identity of LC Radeglia-a contestant in the 1919 Wimbledon draw. Known mainly for badminton, she also played tennis on the amateur circuit until turning pro in the mid 1920s. During this era turning professional meant she was able to charge to teach tennis.

http://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/te...vinia+Radeglia

Lavinia Clara Radeglia was born in Kensington in 1878. She first played badminton in 1903 at the Richmond BC, but moved on to the Alexandra Palace BC. In the season 1907/8 she became a very promising player, her first notable performance in tournament play being at Surbiton in January 1908 when she reached the final of the Open Mixed Doubles with P.D.Fitton. In December 1908 she won her first open at Dieppe playing with Miss Larminie. She was recognised as a good singles player and in March 1909 reaching the final of the All England Ladies’ Singles losing to Miss Lucas.

During the next season, playing with Mr Fitton she won her first open championship in the Surrey Mixed Doubles. She also won the Dieppe Ladies’ Singles and took a game off Miss Lucas at the All England Championships. She was selected for England in 1909 and in all made 6 international appearances, the last in 1923. She was winner of the All England Singles on three occasions, 1913, 1914 and 1923, and the ladies doubles in 1920 when she played with Miss Elton.

During the middle 1920’s abandoned her amateur status and took the game up professionally with the result that a large number of pupils gained from her coaching. She gave much to badminton off the court, being at one time editor of the Badminton Gazette.

She was also well known as a Lawn Tennis player competing in many open tournaments with considerable success. She also became a professional tennis coach.

She died in 1947 at Budleigh Salterton, aged 68
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #169
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if this picture has been posted but it is so beautiful:

Lenglen and Lacoste.
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #170
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

The caption for this photo reads:

Although the Roaring 20s are usually associated with flapper skirts and shorter hemlines, not much had changed when it came to tennis fashion. Here, tennis champ Molla B. Mallory (l.) keeps her hair out of her face with a chic headband while her opponent, Mary K. Browne wears a soft hat to shield her face from the sun.

This picture is from the finals for the 1921 US Championships.
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #171
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Lenglen in full flight for a ball. The sight of her bare skin (note you can see her skin above her stockings) sent English audiences in 1919 England into a tizzy. Some were excited to see her herald new freedoms, while traditional minded spectrators claimed disgust-some walking out muttering she was a fRench whore.

Crowds came out in droves. Wimbledon as we know it today was built as the old grounds could not handle the crowds. The press dubbed the long lines a Lenglen-trail-a winding.

By the mid 20s her costumer no longer shocked. The next big clothing controversy came in 1929-when women started playsing without stockings.
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #172
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Hazel Wightman in 1924. From an older generation, it is reflected in her attire.

Hazel mentored Helen Wills. Some cynics suggested she was motivated to do so in order to dethrone Molla Mallory. Wightman and Wills were unbeatable in doubles-taking the Olympic gold in Paris.

Wightman had a habit of yelling, "Run Helen-Run!", as Wills stretched for balls. The phrase stuck, becoming a cliche for the era to shout at slower moving women.
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #173
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Suzanne Lenglen and Bill Tilden pose for a pic.

The reality was they hated each other with a passion.

At the 1921 World Hard Court Championships Tilden was angry at reports that Suzanne could compete with men.

To lure the diva into a contest Bill hit poorly practicing with Molla. Lenglen took the bait-and was promptly humiliated in a set where Tilden gave her a 30-0 lead in every game.

He won it 6-0.

This is no speculation BTW-Tilden admits setting her up in writing!

His fellow American Molla Mallory made the women's final to face Suzanne. Lore has it he whispered to Suzanne as she went onto court something like, "No one in the world can beat Molla today!"

Lenglen shot back, "America had it's day yesterday. Today it is France's turn!"

Lenglen won the first set 6-2, but was surprised at the resistance put up by "fighting" Molla.

Mallory hit harder and harder-reaching game points with the score tied at 3 all. It near this crucial time that Suzanne almost walked off court. She seemed ready to default, complaining of foot pain. As she walked towards the sideline Papa Lenglen stood up and loudly told her to walk back.

(One account states he screamed, "Finish the match, or I will disinherit you!")

Molla went for winners that missed on the game points. The crisis had passed, and Suzanne won 6-2 6-3.

As they walked off court Molla said to Bill (within Suzanne's hearing) :Wait til I get her on grass!"
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #174
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

I've read Tilden hated Helen Wills also, whereas Wills and Lenglen had respect for each other (especially Wills for Lenglen).

Mallory seemed to have been an intimidating character, whereas many stories lead to think Lenglen was soon discouraged if she didn't win easily (and regularly avoided to lose). She certainly fought well to defeat the Queen of Wimbledon in 1919, though! Probably the most legendary match to have not been filmed!
Hugues Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #175
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

The reality was they hated each other with a passion.

At the 1921 World Hard Court Championships Tilden was angry at reports that Suzanne could compete with men.

To lure the diva into a contest Bill hit poorly practicing with Molla. Lenglen took the bait-and was promptly humiliated in a set where Tilden gave her a 30-0 lead in every game.

He won it 6-0.

This is no speculation BTW-Tilden admits setting her up in writing!
What. A. Charming. Guy. Nothing compared with his other offenses, though. Damnatio memoriae.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #176
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

A rare view of two matches side by side at Forest Hills. This was quite common until later rounds or the finals.

Old Sep 14th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #177
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1922 tennis exhibition at the White House.

Molla Mallory is to the left of President Harding. Marion Zinderstein is to the right.

Old Sep 14th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #178
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Same setting-this time Marion is on the left -Mrs Hardong in the middle-and Molla on the right shaking hands with the First lady.

Old Sep 24th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #179
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice
Re: Little Miss Poker Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
I think this pic illustrates how Helen may have come across that title ! It's a Whitman Cup Team Photo, and the only other player I can recognize is Molla Mallory (seated, bottom right). Anyone care to take a stab at the rest?

Wightman Cup Team 1928

Seated, left to right: Eleanor Goss, Molla Mallory
Up, left to right: Helen Jacobs, Helen Wills, Penelope Anderson
Jimbo109 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote