Davenport's Doom Day - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 04:14 PM   #1
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute
Davenport's Doom Day

I read somewhere that if Big Lindsay doesn't win the Swisscom Challenge she will fall out of the top 10 since 1995.

What is up with Lindsay's game?

I question her game of late because I have never seen Lindsay lose like this in error meltdowns. She is usually one of the most consistent power players on the circuit. However, I'm beginning to wonder if she really cares about playing anymore.

My opinion is that maybe she is ready to get married, have a little Leach, and stay home and bake cookies like Martha Stewart. Maybe I'm wrong and she is in a funk right now, but I do feel that she want's her life back somewhat.

Well, I hope Lindsay wakes up because the Russians are building tennis players, and they are not small girls. Myskina, Petrova, Dinara, and Bovina are some big girls. If Big Lindsay is not careful these waif like amazons can creep up on her.

Lindsay is not my fave, but I wish her all the best at the Swisscom Challenge. It would be kind of sad to see her out of the top ten. I think she should drop her coach, because he is not forcing her to change her game up. I know she feels loyal to him, but he's doing her no good.

Good Luck Lindsay!!!!!!!!
harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 04:25 PM   #2
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
Well, she stated in L.A. the thing that was hardest about coming back was that she was having a hard time concentrating for long periods of time, like during a match because she had been out of practice. That might explain some of the errors and all and some of the lapses in matches. It sounded like from what she said that she worked her ass off during her injury break to stay in shape, like working in the pool and all. If she was ready to settle down and split from the tour to do the family thing, I wouldn't think she would work that hard when she was off the tour. She has never seemed to be the gym bunny. I think she is playing amazing tennis considering how long she was gone.
Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:16 PM   #3
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute
Um, Myskina is not that big. And not many Russians will succeed the way you here them hyped up. I see very little in certain Russians whom I will lezve unnamed. HOWEVER: certain Russians I think have a great future such as Elena Bovina, Vera Douchevina, Maria Sharapova, and maybe Dinara Safina/Sveta Kuznetsova.
Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:30 PM   #4
mishar

mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of
Did you notice that Lindsay didn't play any tournaments from january to July, that she missed the first three grand slams of the year, and yet she's still very likely to end up in the top 12, if not the top 10, and yet you think something's wrong with her game? I mean, obviously she's not playing as well as she did last year, but considering her lengthy time off, she's playing amazingly!
mishar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:43 PM   #5
Serendy Willick

Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of
I'm pretty sure Martina Hingis would love Lindsays results right about now. A GS semi, nearly taking a set off the number one player, three tournement finals and a semi are nothing to sneeze at.
Serendy Willick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:00 PM   #6
country flag Flappie

Flappie has disabled reputation
Yeah, I don't see your problem actually. Because Lindsay is doing well I think, after 8 months of the tour.
I think she just needs more time to really get in top shape.

Delicious Martin
Flappie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:16 PM   #7
country flag anton

anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light anton is a glorious beacon of light
lindsay only has about 8 tournaments on her rankings so she will play more later. this is how the rankings work. they take your best 17 so I think also Lindsay is more concerned about her fitness and the Grand Slams than with her rankings.
anton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:35 PM   #8
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
I think Lindsay is struggling with closing out matches. And that will come with more play.
Stanford--lead Clijsters 64 42; lost 64 46 26
LA--lead Rubin 75 54; lost 75 67 36
New Haven--lead Venus 53; lost 57 06
US Open--lead Serena 36 52; lost 36 57

She has only played 8 events this year. Frankly, the fact that she's in the top 10 is pretty amazing.
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:35 PM   #9
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
This is the first time in a while Lindsay was out a long time. You don't just get out of physical shape when you don't play. You lose track of all those subconscious cues you use to read your opponent. You forget tiny little details of form like how fast to pull your racquet back, not just how far. I think because Lindsay came back in such good shape, and was so successful early, she figured she'd just pick up without losing a beat.

And it turned out she had slipped notch. But remember, SHE was the player who ended 2002 ranked #1. In this case, 'slipped a notch' means instead of being one of the three best players in the world, she's one of the eight players tied for #4. The fact that she's going to fall out of the top ten is just a quirk of scheduling. By the end of Toray Pan Pacific, she'll be back in the top ten. CERTAINLY by Scottsdale.

Her game hit hard, with accuracy. She's not fast. So a small loss of timing hurts her. And one wonders about how that knee feels inthe third set. Some residual weakness wouldn't be out of the ordinary. But once she gets her timing she's still better than anyone who can't run down her groundstrokes.

I had the same surgery she did three years ago. It's takes a long time before you learn everything to do and not do with the surgically repaired knees. It takes even longer for it to feel normal. And Lindsay's bigger than me, and is after all, a professional athlete. Her knees take a LOT of stress.

I think she's set up to be top four by Wimbledon, which one suspects is goal. Lindsay talks kids, and the most recent data I've seen says women's fertility starts going down at 28. (If you want to be mother one day and you aren't yet, I hope you knew that.) Lindsay hasn't got that many years left on the tour, at least without a break.

If her serve is working, she can match Serena's.
Last year, she had the biggest groundstrokes in the game.

Her best shots at another GS title are Wimbledon and the USOpen next year.

And let's face it, if Lindsay can't hit a grounstroke winner past Serena, then the rest of the tour is in trouble. What am I saying?!?! The rest of tour just got hammered like Napolean facing a Russian winter. Even if Lindsay were playing as well as she did this time last year I don't think it would be enough to win another GS unless only one Williams sister entered.
Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:39 PM   #10
country flag Nikki
Team WTAworld

Nikki is a splendid one to behold Nikki is a splendid one to behold Nikki is a splendid one to behold Nikki is a splendid one to behold Nikki is a splendid one to behold Nikki is a splendid one to behold Nikki is a splendid one to behold Nikki is a splendid one to behold Nikki is a splendid one to behold Nikki is a splendid one to behold Nikki is a splendid one to behold
She has done well considering she hadn't played for 8 months. Btw her coach hasn't been with her the last 2 tournaments.
Old Oct 15th, 2002, 11:15 PM   #11
country flag jacs
Team WTAworld
TOP President

jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future jacs has a brilliant future
lindsay said so herself. the problem is she builds a lead and then loses it. a make a big ditto to what most has said. after that long lay-off the physical aspect of the game might be there but the mental is not up to par yet.

given more time, she will be able to close out matches better.
It's not shyness I have. It's just that I'm not one of those people who loves to open a newspaper of magazine and see myself all the time. I don't like that at all. I prefer to play my tennis which I love, and with which I've been blessed.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT

BBT Belligerent Bliss on Twitter BBM Belligerent Bliss on Multiply
jacs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2002, 09:56 AM   #12
niratti

niratti is an unknown quantity at this point niratti is an unknown quantity at this point niratti is an unknown quantity at this point niratti is an unknown quantity at this point niratti is an unknown quantity at this point niratti is an unknown quantity at this point niratti is an unknown quantity at this point
If she drops out of the top 10 at the end of the year, i'm sure she will bounce back very soon at the start of next year!!!

Lindsay Davenport Andre Agassi

"If something special happened all the time, it wouldn't be so special.'' - Agassi, Wimby 2003.

niratti is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote