Court Overturns 20-Year Sentence for Woman Who Fired 'Warning Shots' at Husband - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 27th, 2013, 03:05 AM   #1
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute
Court Overturns 20-Year Sentence for Woman Who Fired 'Warning Shots' at Husband

By SENI TIENABESO | Good Morning America – 1 hour 59 minutes ago

Good Morning America - Court Overturns 20-Year Sentence for Woman Who Fired 'Warning Shots' at Husband
(ABC News)

A Florida woman who claimed to be a victim of abuse yet was sentenced to 20 years behind bars for allegedly firing a warning shot during a dispute with her husband was granted a new trial Thursday.

The appellate court ruling erased a decision by a jury that took just 12 minutes to convict Marissa Alexander, a mother of three, of aggravated assault.

The conviction of Alexander, who is black, sparked outrage and cries of a racial double standard in light of the exoneration of George Zimmerman, a white Hispanic, for the death of Trayvon Martin, who was black. In particular, outrage aired on social media and among some lawmakers on Capitol Hill.

Alexander unsuccessfully tried to invoke Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law as the same prosecutors who unsuccessfully worked to put Zimmerman behind bars told the court that she did not act in self-defense.

In granting the new trial, Judge James H. Daniel also seemed unmoved by the Stand Your Ground defense.

"We reject her contention that the trial court erred in declining to grant her immunity from prosecution under Florida's Stand Your Ground law, but we remand for a new trial because the jury instructions on self-defense were erroneous," wrote Daniel.

Alexander testified that, on Aug. 1, 2010, her then-husband, Rico Gray Sr., questioned her fidelity and the paternity of her 1-week-old child.

She claimed that he broke through a bathroom door that she had locked and grabbed her by the neck. She said she tried to push past him but he shoved her into the door, sparking a struggle that felt like an "eternity."

Afterwards, she claimed that she ran to the garage and tried to leave but was unable to open the garage door, so she retrieved a gun, which she legally owned.

Once inside, she claimed, her husband saw the gun and charged at her "in a rage" saying, "Bitch, I'll kill you." She said she raised the gun and fired a warning shot into the air because it was the "lesser of two evils."

The jury rejected the self-defense claim and Alexander was sentenced under the state's 10-20-life law, sparking outrage over how self-defense laws are applied in the state.

A Florida appellate court ruled today that jury instructions, which unfairly made Alexander prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that she was acting in self-defense, were wrong -- and that there were other incorrect instructions that self-defense only applied if the victim suffered an injury, which Gray had not.

Today, U.S. Rep. Corrine Brown, D-Fla., lashed out at Florida State Attorney Angela Corey, who oversaw the failed prosecution of George Zimmerman and the prosecution in this case, saying, "Arresting and prosecuting her when no one was hurt does not make any sense. ... What was certainly absent from the courtroom during Marissa's trial was mercy and justice. Indeed, the three-year plea deal from State Attorney Angela Corey is not mercy, and a mandatory 20-year sentence is not justice."

Corey's office argued that Alexander, who had not been living in the home for two months leading up to the shooting, provoked the incident, and that there was no proof the garage door was broken, Alexander's rationale for not leaving the altercation. Her office offered her a three-year plea deal in the case that was rejected.

Alexander testified about three other alleged incidents of physical abuse by her husband, including one that led to his arrest. Several witnesses claimed to have seen the injuries she allegedly suffered and the final defense witness in the case testified that she met the criteria for "battered person's syndrome."

In a statement, prosecutors wrote, "The defendant's conviction was reversed on a legal technicality. ... We are gratified that the court affirmed the defendant's Stand Your Ground ruling. This means the defendant will not have another Stand Your Ground hearing. The case will be back in the Circuit Court in the Fourth Judicial Circuit at the appropriate time."

[ABC News]

Marissa should never have been convicted in the first place, but . Florida finally got somethin' right, for now.

JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 27th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #2
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Court Overturns 20-Year Sentence for Woman Who Fired 'Warning Shots' at Husband

She needs to be set free.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #3
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Court Overturns 20-Year Sentence for Woman Who Fired 'Warning Shots' at Husband

Its a travesty she spent a single minute in prison.
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #4
Morning Morgan

Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute

Some sense prevailing, but from the article it seems far from certain that she will be acquitted after the new trial.

"No, I'm not. But with you, I don't even care."
Morning Morgan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #5
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Morgan View Post
Some sense prevailing, but from the article it seems far from certain that she will be acquitted after the new trial.
Exactly. Which is why I closed with, "for now." After George Zimmerman's acquittal, it would be foolish to expect anything based on anything.

By the way: George Zimmerman's wife: 'I have doubts' about his innocence

Excerpt:“I think anyone would doubt that innocence, because I don’t know the person that I’ve been married to," Shellie Zimmerman told NBC's "Today" show on Thursday as her lawyer sat beside her. “I have doubts," she said, yet added, "I also believe the evidence" that led to his acquittal.

JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #6
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Morgan View Post
My belief as well.
Yet another foregone conclusion in the making.

And a 12 minute decision speaks volumes in particular.
I've taken longer baths, and the jurors should be jailed themselves.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #7
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post

By SENI TIENABESO | Good Morning America – 1 hour 59 minutes ago

Good Morning America - Court Overturns 20-Year Sentence for Woman Who Fired 'Warning Shots' at Husband
(ABC News)

A Florida woman who claimed to be a victim of abuse yet was sentenced to 20 years behind bars for allegedly firing a warning shot during a dispute with her husband was granted a new trial Thursday.

The appellate court ruling erased a decision by a jury that took just 12 minutes to convict Marissa Alexander, a mother of three, of aggravated assault.

The conviction of Alexander, who is black, sparked outrage and cries of a racial double standard in light of the exoneration of George Zimmerman, a white Hispanic, for the death of Trayvon Martin, who was black. In particular, outrage aired on social media and among some lawmakers on Capitol Hill.

Alexander unsuccessfully tried to invoke Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law as the same prosecutors who unsuccessfully worked to put Zimmerman behind bars told the court that she did not act in self-defense.

In granting the new trial, Judge James H. Daniel also seemed unmoved by the Stand Your Ground defense.

"We reject her contention that the trial court erred in declining to grant her immunity from prosecution under Florida's Stand Your Ground law, but we remand for a new trial because the jury instructions on self-defense were erroneous," wrote Daniel.

Alexander testified that, on Aug. 1, 2010, her then-husband, Rico Gray Sr., questioned her fidelity and the paternity of her 1-week-old child.

She claimed that he broke through a bathroom door that she had locked and grabbed her by the neck. She said she tried to push past him but he shoved her into the door, sparking a struggle that felt like an "eternity."

Afterwards, she claimed that she ran to the garage and tried to leave but was unable to open the garage door, so she retrieved a gun, which she legally owned.

Once inside, she claimed, her husband saw the gun and charged at her "in a rage" saying, "Bitch, I'll kill you." She said she raised the gun and fired a warning shot into the air because it was the "lesser of two evils."

The jury rejected the self-defense claim and Alexander was sentenced under the state's 10-20-life law, sparking outrage over how self-defense laws are applied in the state.

A Florida appellate court ruled today that jury instructions, which unfairly made Alexander prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that she was acting in self-defense, were wrong -- and that there were other incorrect instructions that self-defense only applied if the victim suffered an injury, which Gray had not.

Today, U.S. Rep. Corrine Brown, D-Fla., lashed out at Florida State Attorney Angela Corey, who oversaw the failed prosecution of George Zimmerman and the prosecution in this case, saying, "Arresting and prosecuting her when no one was hurt does not make any sense. ... What was certainly absent from the courtroom during Marissa's trial was mercy and justice. Indeed, the three-year plea deal from State Attorney Angela Corey is not mercy, and a mandatory 20-year sentence is not justice."

Corey's office argued that Alexander, who had not been living in the home for two months leading up to the shooting, provoked the incident, and that there was no proof the garage door was broken, Alexander's rationale for not leaving the altercation. Her office offered her a three-year plea deal in the case that was rejected.

Alexander testified about three other alleged incidents of physical abuse by her husband, including one that led to his arrest. Several witnesses claimed to have seen the injuries she allegedly suffered and the final defense witness in the case testified that she met the criteria for "battered person's syndrome."

In a statement, prosecutors wrote, "The defendant's conviction was reversed on a legal technicality. ... We are gratified that the court affirmed the defendant's Stand Your Ground ruling. This means the defendant will not have another Stand Your Ground hearing. The case will be back in the Circuit Court in the Fourth Judicial Circuit at the appropriate time."

[ABC News]

Marissa should never have been convicted in the first place, but . Florida finally got somethin' right, for now.
The only reason this was overturned is because of the outrage and backlash Florida was getting. No doubt there are others all over this country that are suffering the same fate. Zimmerman set free for following then murdering a black kid and this woman with a one week old baby sent to prison for shooting in the air gets 20 years. Justice my black ass.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #8
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

Good news indeed. Prosecutors are wrong. Her sentence was not overturned on technicality. It was given on a stupid technicality with no regard to justice.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #9
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

God I remember this Happy for her

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #10
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to make a prediction, it would be that Ms. Alexander serves no more jail time, but maybe has to enter a No Contest plea to a lesser charge, with an agreement that she's immediately released based on the time she's already served.

That way Prosecutor Angela Corey saves face (IMO more than she deserves to). BTW, I'm glad 2C that 2 posters often characterized as being on the right (Helen and ys) agree that the original outcome was a miscarriage of justice.

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #11
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
If I had to make a prediction, it would be that Ms. Alexander serves no more jail time, but maybe has to enter a No Contest plea to a lesser charge, with an agreement that she's immediately released based on the time she's already served.
Under that scenario she's still have a record and would still be an ex-con. This conviction needs to be overturned which I doubt will happen especially in Florida and Angela Corey needs to be shown for exactly what she is a low life b*tch.
Quote:
I'm glad 2C that 2 posters often characterized as being on the right (Helen and ys) agree that the original outcome was a miscarriage of justice.[/QUOTE]
WOW
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #12
country flag Bijoux0021

Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
The only reason this was overturned is because of the outrage and backlash Florida was getting. No doubt there are others all over this country that are suffering the same fate. Zimmerman set free for following then murdering a black kid and this woman with a one week old baby sent to prison for shooting in the air gets 20 years. Justice my black ass.
Devils at work.

*Federer*Nadal*Djokovic*Tsonga*Murray*Monfils*Gulb is*Young*Safin*Mirnyi*

“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”

― Maya Angelou
Bijoux0021 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #13
country flag Mynarco
INAZUMA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

20 years for that So fucked up

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #14
country flag James
Kookie Supporter

James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
Just put those two bitches on 'IGNORE' and forgetaboutem. They're irritating as F*CK, so please, please, PLEASE don't feed them.
I'm BEGGING you!
Not my exact choice of words, but the meaning is clear. Ignore buttons seem to be the most effective. And I say that firmly to both sides here. You are not getting any closer ever. So why spend time on it, when you can be doing more productive things.

My Sporcle quizzes: http://www.sporcle.com/games/James33...nament-winners
http://www.sporcle.com/games/James33/wta-nationalities

Enjoy playing quizzes and games at FunTrivia: http://www.funtrivia.com/?ref=James25

RIP ELENA BALTACHA
James is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #15
country flag njnetswill

njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute

"It's a travesty she spent a single minute in prison." This. If George Zimmerman fired warning shots he wouldn't even have been arrested.
njnetswill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote