The week before.. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 30th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #1
country flag Izzie.

Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all
The week before..

Hi guys! I've been going to the USO for about 4 or 5 years (and I'm only 16, haha). This year I am venturing out there before the tournament starts, and I have a few questions.

1. It seems as though the players get to NY and practice on the grounds a few days before it starts, so I'm assuming if I go out there Thursday or Friday there will be players-is this correct?

2. I've heard I should check out the West practice courts, close to AA, but in the topmost photo it seems Maria is on a show court. There are clearly fans around there, so I'm wondering if we're allowed to go into stadiums? However, in the photo below that, she is seemingly on a practice court...I guess I'm just wondering where the players seem to practice.

3. Where do the qualies play?

Any advice is extremely appreciated.

robson • petko • vika • watson • sloane
Izzie. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 30th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #2
Chris_G

Chris_G is a splendid one to behold Chris_G is a splendid one to behold Chris_G is a splendid one to behold Chris_G is a splendid one to behold Chris_G is a splendid one to behold Chris_G is a splendid one to behold Chris_G is a splendid one to behold Chris_G is a splendid one to behold Chris_G is a splendid one to behold Chris_G is a splendid one to behold Chris_G is a splendid one to behold
Re: The week before..

1) Yes, there will definitely be some main draw players there on Thursday and Friday -- potentially anyone who's not at the New Haven tournament. I've seen players around practicing as early as Tuesday/Wednesday.

2) The West practice courts (P1 through P5) are where I've usually seen the big names. That's where Sharapova is in the second picture. Unfortunately, those courts are behind a fence, so I don't think it's the greatest place to hang out unless you're just hoping to get autographs from players on their way out. It used to be possible to get a decent look from the stands on Court 4, but last year they put up an extra railing with a big tarp on it to block the view. (Ahh, the USTA, so fan friendly!)

Hopefully someone else can answer your question about the show courts. I've heard about players practicing on them during that week, but I've always been too busy watching the qualifying to go see for myself. You could also try the East practice courts, which are just outside the main entrance (near the Grandstand). I think it's primarily lower ranked players who use those courts, but Dementieva prefers them, so you never know.

3) The qualies are scheduled on almost every outer court: 4 through 17. On rare occasions (like if the schedule gets backed up by rain), they'll also play qualifying matches on the Grandstand.
Chris_G is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 12:29 AM   #3
country flag Izzie.

Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all Izzie. is a name known to all

Yes, those practice courts seem more secluded so I was assuming the big names practice there.
Thanks a lot. I'll definitely check out the East courts, too.

And anyone who can give even more advice, it's appreciated!
The show court question remains unanswered

Old Aug 21st, 2010, 12:58 PM   #4
country flag Sinovaccc

Sinovaccc is a glorious beacon of light Sinovaccc is a glorious beacon of light Sinovaccc is a glorious beacon of light Sinovaccc is a glorious beacon of light Sinovaccc is a glorious beacon of light Sinovaccc is a glorious beacon of light Sinovaccc is a glorious beacon of light Sinovaccc is a glorious beacon of light Sinovaccc is a glorious beacon of light Sinovaccc is a glorious beacon of light Sinovaccc is a glorious beacon of light

Don't you need press accreditation, or something like that?
Sinovaccc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #5
country flag ImaVeggie

ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future

Anyone know when the gates open during this qualifying/practice week? I'm drawing a blank.

P.S. I think the photos the OP posted are ones that I took last year. Cool... glad he/she liked them. Ashe Stadium is closed off during this week before, but you can go into Armstrong and Grandstand... there's practicing going on there as well.

Last edited by ImaVeggie : Aug 24th, 2010 at 01:15 AM.
ImaVeggie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #6
country flag Izzie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaVeggie View Post
Anyone know when the gates open during this qualifying/practice week? I'm drawing a blank.

P.S. I think the photos the OP posted are ones that I took last year. Cool... glad he/she liked them. Ashe Stadium is closed off during this week before, but you can go into Armstrong and Grandstand... there's practicing going on there as well.
I did like them