how are WC in AO determined? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:47 PM   #1
fhkung

fhkung has a little shameless behaviour in the past fhkung has a little shameless behaviour in the past fhkung has a little shameless behaviour in the past
how are WC in AO determined?

how many WC's are given in Aussie Open for WTA?
how many are determined by committee
and how many are determined by play in?
and what tournaments determine those?
for qualifyng and MD
fhkung is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:30 AM   #2
ColinB

ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice
There are 8 WTA Wild-Cards for the Aus Open.

1 goes to a French player as there is a reciprocal agreement between the French and Australia.

1 goes to an up and coming Asian player - part of Tennis Australia's committment to promote the sport in Asia.

1 goes to the winner of a private competition in the Australian Open Training Camp in late December in Melbourne. This is a new wildcard. Basically the training camp brings togther the top 16 Aussie players to train and work-out togther for a week. Those players, who do not make the main draw, play in a private competition to see who gets a wild-card.

The other 5 wildcards are at the discretion of Tennis Australia for upand coming Aussie players or for big names outside the cut-off list such as Mary Pierce last year.

Hope this helps.
ColinB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:27 AM   #3
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute
2 of the Australian wildcards go to the best performed Australian girl in the Queensland and South Australian $25K Challengers....last year won by Christina Wheeler and Cindy Watson respectively.

Colin, I didnt know that camp in December was for a main draw WC, but rather for qualies instead...when did they decide to make it for the main draw?
TS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:27 AM   #4
ColinB

ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice ColinB is just really nice
Hi Iva's fan. They changed the rules this year and expanded the camp for Dec - to make sure they get all the Aussie players to take part, they brought in a main-draw WC as an incentive. I interviewed a couple of different people at Tennis Australia about it and my feature was on their website - not sure if it is still up there. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:39 AM   #5
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute
Oh so you wrote that? I got it in the newsletter, hehe

Yeah I remember reading it but thought it said qual WC...oh well, change is good
TS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:48 AM   #6
ColinB

yeh afraid it was me... They are changing all the wild-card allotment this year they told me, so as to really make the players get incentivised to play for them - instead of what they used to do - give it to the next bunch of higher ranked players... They want to reward effort...
Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:41 AM   #7
fhkung

fhkung has a little shameless behaviour in the past fhkung has a little shameless behaviour in the past fhkung has a little shameless behaviour in the past
yup, thx....
how about the qualifying draw though?
fhkung is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote