** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2 - Page 340 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #5086
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMasha2008 View Post
Q. Just like this one, you had three very easy wins to push you into Round 4 of this year's tournament. What's the key to your well‑rounded performance?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Very good English. I think that's the best English spoken by a Chinese on my trip here.
What the? So random
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairi View Post
I hope its both.
Oh
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #5087
country flag LoveMasha2008

LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future

Press conference after QF:

CHINA OPEN

October 5, 2012

Maria Sharapova

BEIJING, CHINA

M. SHARAPOVA/A. Kerber
6‑0, 3‑0 [Ret.]

THE MODERATOR: Questions in Chinese, please.

Q. Congratulations. Next match you might fight against either Li Na or Radwanska. What's your comments on the next opponent? And also, today Kerber was injured. You also suffer from injury before. So as a player, how are you going to try to avoid injury either on the court or off the court? What are you supposed to do to avoid injury?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I thought we played a high level of tennis the first set and a half, and even though the scoreline was 6‑0, 3‑0, there were many games that went to deuce. She had a few break points and long games on her serve.
I actually didn't see much of her injury. I was surprised she called the trainer and even more so when she retired quickly after that.
But, you know, it's no secret to everyone that we are towards the end of the season, and there are just little things whether it's serious or just a little thing that, you know, maybe will go in a few days hopefully.
You know, the body‑‑ the schedule takes its toll on everyone. It's a normal process. You know, if you feel like it's too bad, you've got to take care of it and be on the court when you're close to 100%.
My next round will be tough no matter what, either facing Li Na or Radwanska. I have had difficult matches against both of them in the past. You know, I lost to Radwanska last time in Miami, and against Li Na we had a really long match on clay in Rome.
So either way it will be difficult.
THE MODERATOR: Questions in English, please.

Q. So you didn't really have any sense during the match that something might be a little bit off with her? I mean, I know that she beat you earlier this year in Paris, and I think she played you pretty close last time, as well. For you to come out and dominate this time...
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Not really, because we had really long rallies, and, I mean, I would say 50% of the games I felt like were really long and went to deuce and back and forth.
It wasn't like she was just making easy errors or not going to the ball. So maybe it got worse as the match went on. I'm not sure.
But like I said, health is the most important thing, and she's got to take care of it. Yeah.

Q. Is there anything that you noticed in particular that was different playing against her today than maybe like in Paris when she got you?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I beat her after Paris. I don't know. You keep referring to the time I lost. (Smiling.)
Yeah, I mean, look, she's sixth in the world. There is a reason why she's at that spot and why she's been so consistent in the last year.
Her results have shown that, you know, she's beaten some really great players. I mean, she's so consistent on the court and makes you hit so many balls that sometimes you almost go a little too much for it and end up making a few more errors than usual.
But I really tried to stay aggressive today, really did a good job of moving the ball around and being solid and moving in when I could.

Q. Can you tell us a little about your candy line, Sugarpova? Are you carrying any bags of candy with you?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I wish I could say yes, but I ate it all. There's none left.
When my manager was in town, I asked him for a few, but otherwise I don't carry it with me because then it just becomes too dangerous. I've got vacation in a month or so, and I need to‑‑ you know, I'm going to be wearing bikinis, so I can't be eating candy before. I need to be bikini‑ready.

Q. All this talk about prize money and stuff like that, I'm just wondering, from a personal point of view, do you feel like players are really underpaid? I mean, they seem like "poor little me," like they make a lot of money.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: We do. We make a really good amount of money. We're very lucky.
You mean about the Australian Open issue?

Q. Yeah.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I mean, look, I think every athlete should be compensated for what they do and their achievements and their result. There's no doubt about it.
I'm certainly not sitting in this chair and complaining about my prize money. I'm very lucky with what I have been able to achieve and the compensation I have received, but it certainly is nice to see that the revenue that these Grand Slams are receiving, which is a pretty big number compared to maybe what the athletes get in return, you know, they're all getting together, and the Australian Open is really the first one that took the stand on it and said, Since we are making really good money and getting so many people, so much interest, why not give a little more percentage to the players, for sure?

Q. We know that next round you have a big possibility to meet Li Na. Could you just talk about Li Na, maybe what is your advantage and her advantage, especially when this tournament was held in China?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, of course, if I do happen to play against her, there's no doubt that she's playing in her home country and she will have the support behind her, which is absolutely normal and to be expected.
You know, she's a very tough matchup against me, because we have always had really difficult matches. And before the one ‑‑well, I won the last two, I think, but before that she got me a couple of times. We have been back and forth with our results.
But every match is always really high‑quality tennis, and that's what I hope to expect in the next match. I mean, she's proven why she's a Grand Slam champion with her results, and she's, you know, been top 10 in the world for a long time. There's no reason why it shouldn't be a good match tomorrow.

Q. Are there times as a tennis player where the scoreline can kind of dictate your decision of whether to stay in a match or retire from a match if you kind of have a nagging injury?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it all depends how serious your injury is. I think if it's a nagging injury that's ‑‑I mean, I think if you go on the court, you need to have a mindset that you're going to be able to finish the match.
You know, nagging injuries are ones that just kind of are there and are floating around, and usually you can get by them but maybe they're not improving, but I don't think they really get you out of retiring in a match.
I think it's the injuries that get worse within a situation within a match that you really need to look out for.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=83665
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #5088
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

This....sounds like excellent news......

Q. Can you tell us a little about your candy line, Sugarpova? Are you carrying any bags of candy with you?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I wish I could say yes, but I ate it all. There's none left.
When my manager was in town, I asked him for a few, but otherwise I don't carry it with me because then it just becomes too dangerous. I've got vacation in a month or so, and I need to‑‑ you know, I'm going to be wearing bikinis, so I can't be eating candy before. I need to be bikini‑ready.

Maria needs to be bikini ready......for who? Those of us who would not mind seeing some new Maria in bikini photos. It is pretty hard to be very worried about the candy.....when it comes to food, maria's pattern is to eat, worry about how much it was, and appear picture perfect.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #5089
country flag LoveMasha2008

LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future

Press conference after SF:

CHINA OPEN

October 6, 2012

Maria Sharapova

BEIJING, CHINA

M. SHARAPOVA/N. Li
6‑4, 6‑0

Q. First of all, congratulations for your victory. This is first time for you to enter final of China Open. Can you share with us, how did you make adjustment in second set? Because first set you did not take lead but after which you start to take the lead and eventually win.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I came into this tournament not playing extremely well in Tokyo, and I had a couple of days of practice here. I really wanted to do well and get to the final stage of this tournament because I haven't been, like you said, to the finals here. I have played a few times, and I skipped last year.
So I was hoping that from the first round on I'd really step it up and get better. I feel with the tournament I have been playing and moving better.
Yeah, as far as today, it was a really high‑quality first set and a few ups and downs, and obviously she had the lead in the first set.
You know, I came back and then I broke her in that last game of the second [sic] set. You know, there are a few key moments to that set, and it was important for me to take that momentum going into the second.

Q. First of all, congratulations for entering the final. So who do you expect to be your final opponent?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I don't know. That's why they're playing the match out there to see who my opponent will be.

Q. My question is not related to the tournament. We all believe that you are a pretty girl no matter on the court or off the court. You are representative of fashion. You carry this bag to the court and to this press conference. Can you tell me what might be the secret inside your bag?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Inside my bag?
My credential, my two phones, and a water. That's it. I don't even know why I'm carrying it with me. That's it. (Laughter.)

Q. Can you tell me what kind of strategy does your coach give to you? When Thomas started to coach you, I think your performance is very much good. What kind of help does Thomas bring to you? Did Thomas give you specific guidance about playing against Li Na because he knows her game really well?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Thomas is a very experienced coach before he started working with Li Na. I have played Li Na many times before, so I think it's just about kind of knowing what has worked against her in the past and trying to use that.
I have beaten her the last couple of times. Before that I had a few losses. It's not so much important to focus on what your opponent is doing; more so trying to be confident in your game and enforcing that during the match.
Li Na has so much experience. She's a Grand Slam champion. You know going into the match that this is going to be a difficult match. She can come back. She certainly is capable of playing high‑level tennis.
So it's important to try to keep that level as long as you can during the match.

Q. Two years ago you have very much suffered from injury. Did you recover to what you were pre‑injury?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I don't like to compare from where I was to where I am now. It's always different stages in your life and in your career. You grow as a person, as a tennis player.
I actually have never looked back and said I wonder how I am compared to those moments, because you're always playing new tournaments, you're playing different opponents, and it's a new day.
You know, I'm not the one to compare things, not just in tennis but in other aspects of my life, so I try not to worry about that. I just try to keep improving. As long as I have that attitude, you know, it's better than trying to look back.
THE MODERATOR: English questions, please.

Q. Did you make any subtle changes to your serve following those runs of double faults early on in the first set?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No. I think, you know, in those first few games I thought my percentage of first serve was low. Against someone like Li Na who likes to step in and take the ball early, I think I put a lot of pressure on myself to have to hit too many second serves.
I think, you know, my goal after that was just to get my first‑serve percentage much higher than it was in the first three or four games.

Q. Four of your eleven previous meetings were on hard courts, and your won all four of them and never lost one set. You did it again today. So do you think you have a thing to work it out every time facing Li Na on hard court?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: You know, every match is different. When I go into a match against anyone, not just Li Na, I don't look at the ‑‑I mean, you take things from the matches. Maybe if you have a good record against them, you obviously are smart enough to know what has helped you win those matches.
But to go into a match feeling so confident that you have a good record or good statistic against a player is, I mean, I think it wouldn't be too smart, because every situation is new, every match is different, it's a new day, and there is a reason why we have to go out and play again.
You know, I just try to maybe focus on the things that have helped me in the past and that's pretty much it.

Q. You have drawn a lot of big crowds to your matches all throughout the tournament, and they've mainly been cheering for you. Today the crowd was decidedly against you and for Li Na. Do you think you felt that in the first set? Do you think you were feeling jitters early and that's why you weren't performing quite as well as you were later in the match where you got more used to it?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I have been part of many matches where I have played against someone that's playing in a home crowd. Of course you feel the energy change a little bit, but as far as it affecting me and letting it bother me, not so much.
I think maybe my first time in that type of atmosphere, let's say, I needed to take it in and really learn from it. But I have been part of so many of those situations that it's so understandable going into a match that you know she's playing in her home country. She's going to have the support.
But I really thought that they were more for her than against me, which is ‑‑ I thought all in all, they were pretty respectful of both of us.

Q. It seems you can always turn tough matches around. We all remember what happened in Rome and same today. My question is where does a player get that mental toughness? You are you born with it or it's trainable or you get it from your growing‑up experience?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it's a combination. I think a lot of it is when you're young. I think your upbringing and maybe the people that are around you help you. I have been in the sport for so many years, since I was young, and I moved to a new country when I was seven years old. So there are a lot of things I had to kind of battle through and be on my own and kind of mature by myself.
In that time, I mean, I learned a lot about being competitive and not just in the sport but in life, as well. But I feel like I have been like that in other aspects of things, whether it's, you know, trying to eat faster than others or if there is a competition, win a board game. I have always had a really competitive spirit.
As far as tennis, it's just where I really‑‑ I feel like the court is where I belong and where I really want to, you know, compete and fight no matter what the score is or situation is. Whether I'm down, and it can be match point, I still always believe I can turn it around.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=83727
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #5090
Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future

CHINA OPEN

October 7, 2012

Maria Sharapova

BEIJING, CHINA

V. AZARENKA/M. Sharapova
6‑3, 6‑1

Q. Can you make comments on your performance today? Compared with your performance with Li Na yesterday, it seems that Li Na has similar mistakes as you did today. Is that correct?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, Victoria played a really good match. You know, she just did many things much better than I did.
I felt like when I had the chance, I was just making errors in situations where I had opportunities to get back in the set or in the match. Little windows, but as small as they were, I thought that I just didn't take them.
Even in the second set on a couple of her games, it was Love‑30, I would, you know, miss second‑serve errors, which against somebody who is No. 1 in the world you can't really do.
So, yeah, I just really need to cut back on those errors that I made today.

Q. Some spectators believe that you have more unforced errors than the previous matches. What might be the reasons for that? The second question is how are you going to make comments on your overall performance in China Open this year?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I definitely made more errors than the previous round, but I think it also had to do with, you know, with the way she played. I think she played really smart.
Her ball was very deep today. I just didn't have a lot of time to, you know, really play the way I wanted to.
But overall, I mean, I came here not playing at a high level in Tokyo, and, you know, with every match I played better. Obviously it's unfortunate to lose in the final, but I felt for the results I have had here in the past, I felt this was definitely a step in the right direction.
THE MODERATOR: Questions in English.

Q. One thing I noticed tonight was that she had these wrist bands that were the exact same color, same bright, you know, neon color as a tennis ball. Did that cross your mind at all, and if so, did it bother you?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, not at all.

Q. So looking ahead, how are you going to prepare for the Championships?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, it will be in a couple of weeks. Yeah, it's the last one of the year. Obviously a great achievement to get in that spot. It's always kind of the goal in the beginning of the year. You really want to make it and be one of the girls to make it to the last 8.
So I'm excited to have that opportunity. I have been part of that tournament for many years. You know, I was a bit injured last year there, so, I mean, like I said, everything that I have played after Tokyo this year I feel is a bonus for me since I was injured in that part of the year.
I'm really looking forward to it. Everyone that's in that draw has had a tremendous year and is a really good player. It will be tough, but, you know, I have a couple of weeks to get ready and practice. Yeah.

Q. You looked really tired today. Your physical condition actually looks like you're not as good as yesterday. Is it because of the tough game with Li Na yesterday?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, I didn't feel it. I just thought I was making a lot of mistakes, really.

Q. I'm just wondering, I know it's kind of a fact of this kind of lifestyle, but obviously there is some political unrest going on between Turkey and Syria. Do you ever think of those things when you go to places like that, or do you just put it out of your mind and say, Hopefully everything is going to be okay?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, of course you hope everything is going to be okay. But I think the tour will do a good job of monitoring whether we go there and if it's safe for us.
That was one of the things that, you know, we discussed a lot about Japan and going there after what happened. You know, some people were not sure if they wanted, you know, with the health hazards‑wise, and in a particular situation like this, I'm sure we're not just going there without any information and without any knowledge of what's happening.
We have a lot of security and safety there. Maybe it will just be a little bit more extreme than normal, but it's okay. I'm not worried about it.

Q. In the beginning of this season you lost in Melbourne, the final. Did you try to make a difference in preparation before today's game and why it didn't work?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: That was eight months ago, so I don't really think about the preparations. I'm more focused on the new game. You know, obviously I lost more times to her this year than I have beaten her, so I really certainly wanted to try to change that around, but it just didn't happen today.

Q. If you can list one particular moment as your best memory in China Open this year, what will it be?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: My best memory? Well, I mean, like I said, I haven't done well in this tournament for so many years. You know, I came here a couple days before and prepared, and then I really wanted to play good tennis.
Today was not the best showing of that, but overall, I had really good five matches. You know, I have a lot to look forward to going forward.

Q. We know that Sugarpova will be in Australia next year, so when can we buy Sugarpova in China?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I don't know. The sooner the markets buy it, the better. Maybe you can help me out with that. (Smiling.)
Yeah, the next launch is going to be in Australia. We had a pretty good meeting here, and hopefully it will be coming here soon.

Q. After the competition, will you stay more in Beijing? If you will, where will you go, Great Wall or other place of interest?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I would love to, but, you know, when you're on the road for so long and you're playing tournaments, you really miss home. We don't get to spend so much time at home during the year, so I will be flying home tomorrow.
But if I had the choice, I would definitely visit the Great Wall again, because I went six years ago, and it was a lot of climbing up, not too much down. I took the slide down. The slide was fun, really fun. Maybe someone can help me get up, and then I'll take the slide down next time.

Q. Going back to the match tonight, you mentioned you had a lot of errors. What is it about Azarenka's return and her serve that makes it difficult for you to finish those rallies?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I mean, she plays really well inside the baseline, and she likes to be the aggressive player. We play kind of similar. I mean, there are no secrets between each other. She likes to step in early and take the first ball and control it and not be on the defense. She did a really good job of that today.

Q. When would you launch Sugarpova in the Middle East? Maybe in Dubai.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Step by step, baby steps. You have no idea how much it takes to actually produce all the different labels for each market. It's a lot of work, and I'm learning a lot more about that than I probably should.
But it's a lot of work. I hope soon, sooner than later. I mean, to get it launched in the United States, I mean, the customs, like three days before it got to Henri Bendel's, it was stuck in customs and it might have not gotten out, and that would have been a disaster. I would have had to put like fake candy in the bags.
But I hope soon. I mean, I think next year will be a really big step in us going into different markets.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=83779
Suicide Tennis
Tipping Rank:#36
PAW Rank:#42 Titles New Haven 2014
FITD Rank:#108.
Three Hands Titles Montreal, Tokyo 2014
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #5091
country flag Advantage Me

Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold

Great interview. Great answers. I enjoy reading these conferences more than the ones in Europe. Thanks for posting.
Advantage Me is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #5092
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

So happy to announce I will be coming back to Moscow at the end of this month. I will be at the Samsung Mobile Gallery on Tverskaya, 22, on October 30th to meet all of you. Everyone is welcome to come but the lucky 50 guests who enter the contest below have a chance to win my autographed racket and picture together. Can't wait to see all of you there!
http://www.samsung.com/ru/promo/sharapova/
Start of the event: 30th October 19:00, Autograph session begins at 19:30.

Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #5093
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfalsetto View Post
What the? So random
Aham.. That was my reaction, too. I was wondering why did she say that.. When she isn't exactly a native speaker herself... She is great at the language, yes... But.. Usually native speakers say that.
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #5094
country flag Angelpova
Naoned e Breizh

Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of

Sharapova: "I'm still hungry for success My dream? To be a spy!"

Maria: "I’ve still got a lot of hunger for success. I want children and I want them to not be afraid to take on tough tasks. Serena the best tennis player of all time? It’s impossible to say! Tuscany is beautiful. It’s so relaxing there” On December 1 she'll be in Milan, taking part in the "Grande Sfida" exhibition match.
Starting next Tuesday, the top 8 women’s tennis players in the world will take part in the Maters is Istanbul. Maria Sharapova will even be able to pit her skills with those of Sara Errani. A prelude to La Grande Sfida on December 1, at the Forum di Assago, along with their doubles partners, Roberta Vinci and Ana Ivanovic.

Maria, what's the secret behind the success of these diminutive Italia women tennis players?
“Italian tennis is very ‘physical’ but at the same time ‘technical’, as players learn to play on clay. You learn to adapt to everything. That’s why Errani and Vinci have found their way to the top even playing against opponents who are a lot taller: they compensate for their stature with their skill and ability. There’s room for everyone in tennis. When I was younger, I used to think I’d stay short. Instead, I grew taller. However, I quickly learn that strength comes from within, from your mind. A match can last up to 3 hours. There are lots of ups and downs. It’s impossible to maintain a high level for so long. Therefore, the way you react when you are ‘down’ is fundamental. How concentrated and focussed you remain, and for how long.”

Does talking about Sara Errani always make you remember the Final and your win at Roland Garros.
“It was a surreal experience. The most unique moment of my career. Even more so than Wimbledon when I was 17-years-old and even the US Open, the tournament that, as a junior, I’d never have imagined to win one day. It has a special atmosphere. Finally winning Roland Garros, the only major I hadn’t won, on a surface that is difficult for me to play on, was very special indeed. Who knows, also because I always wanted to play against Steffi Graf there, but was never able to. That’s why when people start to talk about ‘the best tennis player in the world’, I always say it’s impossible to say, even if Serena Williams is an extremely strong player. I only ever played once against Monica Seles...”

Rich and famous. Do you still have a dream?
“Sure. Lots! My motto is: 'If you aim at the moon, even if you miss, you’ll still reach the stars.” It’s important to have dreams – to have big dreams, to keep yourself motivated. Without dreams it’s difficult to get up in the morning: you’re better off just staying in bed!”

Errani and Vinci are strong and technical as they learnt to play tennis on clay. Sara always reminds me of the Final at Roland Garros. It was surreal
If it were possible, would you prefer to be able to fly or to be invisible?
“To be invisible! Because I love Sherlock Holmes and my secret ambition is to become a spy!"

Do you believe more in willpower or destiny?
“Willpower counts for a lot. You can control things with willpower. But destiny is fundamental: things always happen for the right reason and at the right time. Things aren't merely ‘casual’ or all of equal importance, be it in a negative or a positive way. It’s always useful.”

Can you sum up Maria Sharapova in just 2 words?
“No, that’s impossible in just 2 words! I’d need at least 20! Let’s see... stubborn. And open. Better still, honest. Very honest.”

If you hadn’t become a tennis player, what other type of athlete would you have become?
“I used to dream about becoming a successful rhythmic gymnast."

At the age of 9 you moved from Russia to Florida and were coached by Nick Bollettieri: did you find that difficult? A nightmare?
“No, on the contrary. It was a fundamental experience for me. While there I matured. I developed as a person: I learnt all there is to know about life and relationships. I improved as I learnt to do things on my own. I learnt things that I still remember today, things that have made me stronger. Had I not learnt those things, I wouldn't have been able to get back to playing tennis following surgery on my shoulder. I wouldn’t have been so successful. I wouldn’t have had the will to fight so much.”

But would you allow your child to go through the same experience?
“Let’s just say that, sooner or later, I’d like to have children, but I don’t know exactly how many more years I’ll continue playing tennis for. Perhaps 3-4 more years? Perhaps I wouldn’t allow them to go through what I went through! But, if I could turn back time, I’d go through it all again, as I know how much of a formative experience it was. If everything is nice and easy, and you just stay at home, it’s tough to find challenges in life. I’d like my children to also be encouraged to take on the toughest challenges that life presents. That way, even if they do take a lot of knocks, they’ll bounce back up again. But, to do that, as I did, they'll need a lot of ‘get up and go’, self-esteem and pride.”

Not thinking a lot does, after all, help in tennis.
“I think a lot. But I think that’s in my nature. When you are on court, at 5-5 in the 3rd set, you tend to rely on instinct. Even if you do have a lot of thoughts going through your mind.”

I'd have liked to have played against Steffi Graf at Roland Garros, but, instead, I just managed to take on Monica Seles, once
What does money mean to you, and do you know how much you have in the bank?
“I do follow my financial interest and yes, I do know how much money I have in the bank. When I can buy things for my parents, or my grandparents, perhaps buy them a car and I see the joy in their eyes, or take friends on holiday and I see them happy, I don’t feel guilty about spending my own money. But when I’m home and I drink tea the way the Russians do, then there is no amount of money in the world that can make me feel happier. My parents taught me to be happy irrespective of what I’ve got, but also to be very ambitious and therefore always try to earn more. And to respect money.”

Do you feel more American or more Russian?
“From a lifestyle point of view I’m very American: I live in Florida and California. I have a very simple way of life. I spend time on the beach, relaxing. But my culture and diet is more Russian. At home, I feel very Russian. But, when I open the door, I’m surrounded by Americans, so I’m American! But my heart and my true home is in Russia, in Sochi.”

What does the future hold for Maria Sharapova?
“Another game. Another tournament. And more and more. At this moment in time, there is nothing more important to me than trying to win: I’m full of energy, ability, desire, motivation to wake up in the morning and train so I can improve ready for my next game.”

Which compliment that people pay makes you really feel happiest?
“When people say that I’m real and honest. That's very important to me. I wouldn’t want to give the impression that I’m not real. That I’m false, as I’m totally opposite to that. My mouth does sometimes get me into trouble, but I’m used to making my point when it comes to things I feel strongly about.”

Is it tough being Maria Sharapova?
“No. Why? I do what I have to do. Play sport, do things connected to my job. As a professional."

What is it that you can't do?
“I don’t lead a ‘normal’ life. I love Tuscany: it’s so peaceful, relaxing, beautiful. It’s so tranquil… But, after a week, I need more action in my life!”

http://english.gazzetta.it/More_spor...37649911.shtml
Angelpova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #5095
country flag Advantage Me

Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for posting, Angelpova. Great interview.
Advantage Me is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #5096
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelpova View Post
“I do follow my financial interest and yes, I do know how much money I have in the bank."

I was wrong... ---->
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM_1257 View Post
she checks the bank account notes trying to read the number out loud... but loses concentration half-way...
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #5097
country flag MS17

MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light

Maria Sharapova: grit, guts and glory

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"No matter how tough it was, no matter how many people didn’t believe in me, I didn’t care and I didn’t listen.

“I could have said: ’I don’t need this.’ I have money, fame, victories. I have Grand Slams.

“But when your love for something is bigger than all those things, you continue to get up in the morning when it’s freezing outside, when you know that it can be the most difficult day.

"You can achieve great things when you don’t listen to all those things.”

So went Maria Sharapova’s victory speech after she lifted the French Open trophy in June, having overwhelmed the Italian Sara Errani to triumph in straight sets.

That victory gave her the illustrious career slam of having won all four Grand Slam titles – a feat only nine other women had previously achieved. Being in the final also took her back to world number one for the first time in nearly four years. But, perhaps most significantly, the Roland Garros crown came after Sharapova’s four-year struggle with injury, when many questioned whether the Russian would ever return to the top.

It was a career-threatening torn rotator cuff in 2008 that kept her out for 10 months and sent her ranking plummeting to 126th in the world. She was not to be beaten, though, returning to the sport in the summer of 2009 to begin the long climb back towards the top.

She finally reached the summit this summer – and now, with the TEB BNP Paribas WTA Championships in Istanbul getting under way on Tuesday, Sharapova has the chance to finish the year with what would be another milestone in her comeback. You have to go all the way back to 2004 for the last time she won the prestigious end-of-season tournament – the same year she first became a Grand Slam champion, becoming the 17-year-old darling of Wimbledon with a comprehensive 6-1, 6-4 defeat of Serena Williams.

She is 25 now, and one of the biggest names in women’s tennis – and indeed women’s sport. But the joys of winning never get old – especially when you’ve had to face the possibility they might be out of reach forever.

You said winning the French Open this year was the “most unique moment of your career”. What did you mean by that?
“Winning that Grand Slam as my first one after my injury – on a surface not many people expected me to do well on – was really meaningful. You put so much work in on the practice court and in the gym, but you never quite know when that will pay off. And when you have experienced those incredible moments of winning Grand Slams before, you really want to feel that emotion – that moment of winning a matchpoint – again. I was really happy it happened in Paris. I couldn’t have asked for a better moment for it.”

Did spending all that time away from the sport change your attitude towards it?“After the injury I felt like I was starting over again in my career. In a way, I was appreciating what I’d been given and was just grateful to have the opportunity to play tennis again on a daily basis. But I enjoyed the hard work to get back – I never looked at it as a negative, no matter how tough it was. You appreciate it so much more when something’s taken away from you a bit.”

There’s just the TEB BNP Paribas WTA Championships in Istanbul left this season. At the end of a long year, would you really rather be on a beach?“When you start the year, you have the four majors and you think: ’Oh, the champs are all the way at the end of the season.’ But the goal is always to be one of those eight girls who qualify, because it means you’ve had a really consistent year. I remember qualifying for it for the first time in 2004, and it felt like a bonus because usually the season had finished so early. I still feel like this tournament is a bonus for your accomplishments during the year.”

It’s the sixth time you’ve qualified. Does your experience give you an advantage?“I think it’s the experience that I have of not playing so many tournaments during the year. A lot of girls usually play a few tournaments in the lead-up to a big one like that, but a lot of my success has come when I’ve had a limited schedule. It gives me a chance to let my body rest and to practise well and be healthy – so that when I go out and compete, even though I might feel rusty for a few games, in the longer stretch of the tournament I feel better.”

The tournament has been held all over the world, from Madrid to Doha and now Istanbul. Where would you like to see it?
“I would actually love to see it go to Brazil. I was there once, and it’s somewhere we haven’t seen too much tennis, but I know there’s so much passion for sport there. Obviously football’s their number one thing, but as far as tennis is concerned I get so much fan mail from there, and I’m sure other players do too. It seems like the sport is really followed in Brazil, so I really hope it goes there.”

The next Olympics will be there. Are you planning to be in Rio, to upgrade the silver medal you won in London this summer?“It’s tough to say – it’s so far down the line. I usually don’t try to plan too much ahead. I was so looking forward to the Beijing Olympics in 2008, but just a few months before that is when I got my shoulder injury. So that was a real bummer. I try not to look at things that far in advance, but my experience this year was so special that of course I would love to get there – and experience having that chance again.”

You became the first female Russian athlete to have the honour of carrying the flag during the opening ceremony in London. When did you find out you’d been chosen?“It was crazy; I received a text message from the Russian Olympic Committee in the middle of the French Open, asking me if it was something I’d be interested in doing. [Laughs] I was half asleep and just honestly I couldn’t believe that was even being asked in question form. The Olympics was such a big part of our culture in Russia, so I grew up hoping that one day I could represent the sport of tennis – because it wasn’t very big when I was watching it in the Olympics when I was young. But the visibility of tennis in Russia and the amount of facilities and coaches we have has grown so much - it’s a solid sport there now. So for me to have that honour was incredible.”

Were you nervous?“It was such a long walk from the athletes’ village to the stadium, with the whole team and all the other countries, that once you got there it felt like the walk around the track was so much shorter than it actually was. I was just trying to focus on making sure the flag was waving the right way and holding it right...”

Tennis aside, food is another passion…
“I know, it’s really pathetic. Every time I do an entry on my website or write a little blog, I always mention food. I think my fans must think I have a problem… I kind of do [laughs]. But one of the greatest things about travelling is experiencing the different flavours and cultures. And, in Russia, sitting down at the table to eat as a family was such a big part of our lives – eating your grandma’s cooking and baking with the family. I’ve missed it since I moved to the US. I’m always talking about food and I try to cook, but I don’t do it as much as I would like to because from start to finish it’s such a big process. So on training days it’s pretty tough to cook, but on my off days I always do.”

If someone was to put together the perfect menu for you, what would be on it?“I love the Russian soup, borscht, and then we have this salad which is originally French, called Olivier – but I think the Russians took over it and now they call it the Russian salad. And we have these little dumplings called pelmenis, which are really good – my grandmother makes them really well. Then for dessert I’d want Russian honey cake called medovnik, which is really yummy.”

And now you've even gone and launched your own range of sweets...“When I came to the US as a kid and I saw these gummy bears and gummy type candy, it was so different to anything I’d ever tried or seen in Russia. I just fell in love with it. A couple of years ago, the name Sugarpova came about, and I put the two together. I really wanted to start my own business, and I thought this would be fun, young and fresh. And everybody loves candy, right?”

Sarah Shephard @sarahsportmag

British Eurosport HD will broadcast the WTA Championships exclusively live, October 23-28. Coverage is also available online and on mobile via the Eurosport Player: eurosportplayer.co.uk

Read more at http://www.sport-magazine.co.uk/278/...whHBRwTAPf7.99

Last edited by MS17 : Oct 19th, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
MS17 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #5098
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

"A lot of girls usually play a few tournaments in the lead-up to a big one like that, but a lot of my success has come when I’ve had a limited schedule. It gives me a chance to let my body rest and to practise well and be healthy – so that when I go out and compete, even though I might feel rusty for a few games, in the longer stretch of the tournament I feel better.”

i think it confirms that her schedule will never grow from now on, i wish she would play some smaller events but her health comes first!
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #5099
Forever Sharapova.

also, thanks Masha Fierce
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #5100
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

If someone was to put together the perfect menu for you, what would be on it?“I love the Russian soup, borscht, and then we have this salad which is originally French, called Olivier – but I think the Russians took over it and now they call it the Russian salad. And we have these little dumplings called pelmenis, which are really good – my grandmother makes them really well. Then for dessert I’d want Russian honey cake called medovnik, which is really yummy.”

Maria should help explain these concepts....the soup is often mentioned in articles....to Americans...and according to this chart...to the beautiful women of Russia, who have been abandoning traditional Russian diet in favor of eating like Americans.
Percentage of obese men in Russia.. 10.8........Russian women..27.9

Country Percentage of Obese Men Percentage of Obese Women
Finland 19. 19
Russia 10.8. 27.9
England 17 20
Germany 17.2 19.3
Czech 16.3 20.2
Scotland 15.9 17.3
Belgium 12.1 18.4
Spain 11.5 15.2
Sweden 10 11.9
France 9.6 10.5