** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2 - Page 270 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #4036
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

she definitely did not say 'one' all those times
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 28th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #4037
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.porsche-tennis.de/prod/pa...opnews#pagetop

Quote:
“You have to battle hard for every point”

Stuttgart. Exactly three hours of exciting top quality tennis and finally Maria Sharapova was through to the semifinal of the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix. On her debut in Stuttgart the world No. 2 from Russia beat the Australian Samantha Stosur 6-7, 7-6, 7-5. After the tennis thriller on Centre Court in the Porsche Arena Maria Sharapova talked about …

…her return, the key to her win:
“Sam has a great serve. She was serving as well against me today as she ever has. The ball was bouncing quite high but in the second set I got a better read of it.”

…about her attitude to matches:
“On court it’s a one to one situation and the match is only over after the last point when you shake hands. And up until that point you have to always battle hard. That’s the way I play the game.”

…the question as to whether she can get to sleep after such a gruelling match:
“It’s not easy but I’ll try to get some sleep. I’m so happy to have reached the semifinals on my first appearance here and I’d like to put on a great display for the crowd on Saturday too. I need to be well-rested.”

27/04/2012
Wonderful win

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #4038
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201204...256076_2752252

Quote:
Top 4 Reach Semifinals, First Time Since '09

April 27, 2012
STUTTGART, Germany - Maria Sharapova and Petra Kvitova won Friday night fights in Stuttgart, and along with Victoria Azarenka and Agnieszka Radwanska's wins from earlier in the day, that means the Top 4 players in the world have all made the semifinals of the event, an all-star achievement that hasn't happened at any WTA event since July 2009 at Wimbledon.

Kicking off the night session on Friday was No.2 seed Maria Sharapova's battle with No.5 seed Sam Stosur. Though Sharapova had won nine of their 10 previous meetings, Stosur's win did come in their most recent meeting, and the World No.5 had won six of her last eight matches against Top 2 players.

After winning the first set Stosur looked like she had the match put away in the second set, breaking for 5-3 and getting to match point on a Sharapova double fault; but Sharapova dug herself out of that hole, eventually dug out that second set, got the only break of the third set in the 11th game, then promptly served it out at 15. Final score: 67(5) 76(5) 75. Final time: three hours, one minute.

"The match is only over after the last point and when you shake hands at the net," Sharapova said. "Up until that point, you always have to battle hard. It's a one-on-one situation on the court. That's the way I play the game."

In 36 service games there were 33 holds of serve and only three breaks.

"Sam has a great serve. She was serving as well against me today as she ever has," Sharapova said. "The ball was bouncing quite high but in the second set I got a better read of it. The difference was a couple points here and there.

"I'm really happy to get through a quality clay courter like Sam."

"I think it was a very, very good match - we both played very well," Stosur said afterwards. "Towards the end of the third set she started returning very well and putting me under more and more pressure, and then she got that one break and served very well in the last game, which was the cherry on top for her.

"I was pleased with my own serve and return though, too. I served some good percentages and did very well until that last service game that I lost."

Stosur had won two Fed Cup matches on this court over the weekend, and leaves Stuttgart with many more positives than disappointments. "It's been a great time here, obviously the Fed Cup first then three very good matches here," she said. "It sucks losing, but when you play as well as I did tonight, you can't be too hard on yourself. It's disappointing but I know I gave it everything."

In the second night match No.3 seed Petra Kvitova beat Angelique Kerber, 64 64, running her indoor winning streak to 27 matches in a row and now winning 14 of her last 15 quarterfinal matches on the WTA (her only loss in that stretch coming in the 2010 Australian Open quarters to Vera Zvonareva).

"It was important to serve and return well in this match because she plays very well from the baseline," Kvitova said of Kerber. "I'm looking forward for the semifinals here now - it's the first time I'm playing this tournament and to be in the semifinals is really good. It will be a good match with Sharapova."

"Petra played very well today," Kerber said. "I had some chances in the first set but didn't take them, and she served better, which was the difference."

Sharapova and Kvitova are tied in their head-to-head series, 2-2.

Azarenka, Sharapova, Kvitova and Radwanska are ranked No.1 through No.4 - it is the first time the Top 4 players in the world are all in the semifinals of a WTA event since Wimbledon in 2009, when Dinara Safina, Serena Williams, Venus Williams and Elena Dementieva made up the final four (they were No.1 through No.4 at the time). The Williamses made the final, Serena winning.

"On the men's side it's normal to have the Top 4 in the semis," Kvitova said. "It's great for the tournament, the sponsors and the people. It has been a long time since the last time, but hopefully it will happen in more tournaments soon."
Maria

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #4039
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

Women's tennis is in a good position at the moment after the downfall of the last couple of years. let's hope it can continue this way!

As for Maria, no matter what happens against Kvitova, I'm proud of her fight and of a great win against a tough top player!

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #4040
country flag KK2009

KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jechijo View Post
Women's tennis is in a good position at the moment after the downfall of the last couple of years. let's hope it can continue this way!

As for Maria, no matter what happens against Kvitova, I'm proud of her fight and of a great win against a tough top player!
Agree! Look at previous two matches Maria was involved, incredibly high quality.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #4041
country flag rucolo

Quote:
Dream final in the Porsche Arena: Azarenka against Sharapova

Stuttgart . The dream final at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix is perfect: Victoria Azarenka, the world No. 1, against Maria Sharapova, the world No. 2 – it certainly doesn’t come any better.

In Saturday’s semifinals in a full to capacity Porsche Arena, it was the favourites that ad-vanced. Victoria Azarenka brushed aside Agnieszka Radwanska 6-1, 6-3. Maria Sharapova defeated Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova in a high quality match 6-4, 7-6. Playing in the final, where there are 115,000 dollars and the Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet at stake, will be the Belarusian Victoria Azarenka and the Russian Maria Sharapova.

The dream sports car seems to have caught Maria Sharapova’s eye: “There’s always space in my garage for such a nice car,” said the tennis queen. The statistics however are however not in her favour: the Australian Open winner Victoria Azarenka leads 5-3 in the head-to-heads. But it does not worry Maria Sharapova. “Statistics are one thing,” she said at the post-match press conference, “but what’s decisive is what happens on court.”

Victoria Azarenka doesn’t only have statistics on her side. The world No. 1 is in top form and has already won four tournaments this year and the number 13 appears to be her lucky number: she has headed the world rankings for the past 13 weeks and today’s semifinal was her 13th match against Agnieszka Radwanska. The 22-year-old from Minsk got off to a very quick start hitting powerfully and accurately. Three breaks in the first set, 6-1 in only 24 min-utes – easy. She also dictated the pace and the game in the second set to clinch the match 6-1, 6-3 on her second match point. The encounter had lasted only 77 minutes. “Agnieszka always brings out the best in me,” said the world No.1 when praising her opponent. Talking about her own performance, she said: “I am very happy with my game at the moment.” And the Australian Open champion has every right to feel that way for she is now in the final of the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix for the first time in her career. “A final is always the final push and I’m really looking forward to it.”

In the contest between the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix newcomers, it was Maria Sharapova who showed the better nerves. The world No. 2 defeated the Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova in a nerve-wracking encounter in the Porsche Arena. The Czech (world No. 3) was unable to convert the decisive points whereas Maria Sharapova, especially when things were tight, remained as cool as ice. “It was a high class and very tight match,” she said, “I staved off ten break points so I must have been serving well.”

28/04/2012

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #4042
country flag rucolo

Quote:
Maria Sharapova with nerves of steel into final

Stuttgart. Maria Sharapova showed the better nerves in the contest between the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix newcomers. The world No. 2 defeated the Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova in a nerve-wracking encounter in the sold-out Porsche Area. The Czech (world No. 3) was unable to convert the decisive points whereas Maria Sharapova, especially when things were tight, remained as cool as ice. “It was a high class and very tight match,” she said, “I staved off ten break points so I must have been serving well.”

Both players are not particularly fond of long baseline rallies and consequently were both aggressive throughout the match. It was quickly clear that only a few points were going to be decisive. The questions were, who was going to convert the big points? Who was going to break? In the first set, it was Maria Sharapova when the scores were level at 2-2. Leading 40-0 on Kvitova’s serve she squandered all three chances before taking the game on her fourth break point. Now 3-2 up, she eventually closed out the set 6-4.

The second set was pure excitement – and a duel of nerves. Petra Kvitova had break chances at 2-1 but Maria Sharapova showed her class when serving two aces. And the Wimbledon winner had two more break points at 3-2 but this time the ice-cool Russian coun-tered risking everything. The same happened again at 4-3 when Maria Sharapova once again saved two break points. Things became even more bitter for Petra Kvitova when she dropped her serve at 5-4. Serving for the match Maria Sharapova couldn’t take advantage of a match point and Kvitova broke back only for the Russian to take the tie-break and victory after one hour 59 minutes. One has to take ones chances against Maria Sharapova.

28/04/2012

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #4043
country flag rucolo

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201204...256076_2753313

Quote:
Dream Final In Stuttgart: Azarenka & Sharapova

April 28, 2012
STUTTGART, Germany - This may have been the first time in almost three years that the world's Top 4 players were all in the semifinals of a WTA event, but finals between Victoria Azarenka and Maria Sharapova haven't been rare lately - and that's what will happen at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix.

The second semifinal was much tighter, with No.2-ranked Sharapova squeaking by No.3-ranked Petra Kvitova in a minute short of two hours, 64 76(3). The two put on a strong serving display, with just three breaks in 22 service games. Sharapova actually broke at 5-all in the second set and served for the match, even holding match point in that game, but ended up taking it in the breaker.

"In the last couple of matches this week I felt like it really came down to just a few points," Sharapova said afterwards. "Today it was just about one service break in the first set and just a couple of points in the tie-breaker."

Takeaway stat of the match: Kvitova converted on just one of 11 break points. In their last meeting at the Australian Open, she converted three of 14.

"I had a lot of chances - it was the same as in Melbourne," Kvitova said. "At the beginning of the match I wasn't returning well, and I think that continued in the second set. I didn't return her serve well and I think that was the key.

"But she had good serves when she needed them and from the baseline she was so aggressive - you have to be ready because she's very dangerous."

Kvitova's impressive 27-match indoor winning streak also came to an end.

"I'm disappointed after this match, but I did make the semifinals of my first clay court tournament of the year, so maybe in two days I'll be happy about it."

Azarenka leads Sharapova in their head-to-head series, 5-3, but perhaps more relevantly she has won both of their 2012 meetings handily - 63 60 in the Australian Open final and 62 63 in the Indian Wells final. In the pair's only clay court meeting at Rome last year Sharapova won, albeit by retirement.

"I look forward to the challenge," Sharapova said. "I've lost to Victoria the last few times so I'll go out there and hope to change things around. I'll look at the last few times we played and learn from my mistakes - but she's playing such confident tennis this year, and she's really the one to beat right now."

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #4044
country flag rucolo

Quote:
Maria Sharapova wins 2012 Porsche Tennis Grand Prix

Stuttgart. She came, saw and was victorious: Maria Sharapova, the glamorous world star of women’s tennis, hopped around the Porsche Arena’s Centre Court like an excited teenager. Overjoyed, she blew kisses to the crowd after crowning her first appearance at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix with a title. Playing the Belarusian Victoria Azarenka, Sharapova dominated the match between the world’s two most successful tennis players. The world No. 1 didn’t get a sniff against the, on paper, No. 2. The audience in the full-to-capacity Porsche Arena were treated to some world class tennis during Sharapova’s 6-1, 6-4 win. It was thrill a minute tennis. Sharapova now leaves Stuttgart with 115,000 dollars prize money, a Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet and the promise to return to Stuttgart to defend her title.

The tennis queen from Russia kicked off as if a match against the current world No.1 is the simplest thing in the world. Impressive considering she had lost her four previous finals against Azarenka, two of which came this year at the Grand Slam tournament in Australia and in Indian Wells. But the Russian doesn’t rate statistics: “The most important thing is what you do on the court,” she said. And she moved Azarenka all around the Centre Court with powerful and accurate groundstrokes and hit aces at will when at the vital moments. 6-1 with three breaks after 30 minutes – it looked as if it was going to be a very short final.

That things took a little longer was down to the number one, who didn’t want to say farewell to the Porsche Arena after a great week without putting up a fight, even though she was slightly hampered by a wrist injury. “Yes it’s true about the injury but I’m not going to look for any excuses,” she said. Victoria Azarenka fought back and even saved four break points at 2-all but shortly afterwards was forced to admit defeat. Sharapova broke Azarenka to lead 4-3 and soon afterwards closed out the match on her serve for a 6-1, 6-4 win in 84 minutes.

She was visibly overjoyed at winning on her debut at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix. For minutes on end she celebrated with the crowd, hugged her crew and eventually drove her new snow white Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet onto Centre Court with Matthias Müller, the President and CEO of the Porsche AG beside her. The key was given to her by Matthias Müller and the winner’s trophy was presented by Dr Wolfgang Porsche, the Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the Porsche AG and the Porsche SE. The victor also had a presentation to make. On behalf of her colleagues, she handed Dr Wolfgang Porsche the cup for the best and favourite tournament. The WTA players had once again voted the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix as their favourite event in 2011.

“The week has been a lot of fun,” she said. “The crowd has been great to me and I was extremely motivated to finally win a final against Victoria.” It was plain for all to see during the tournament week in Stuttgart.

29/04/2012
Stuttgart Champion

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #4045
country flag rucolo

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201204...256076_2754109

Quote:
Sharapova Conquers Azarenka & Stuttgart

April 29, 2012
STUTTGART, Germany - Her huge serve and groundstrokes hitting their mark time and time again, Maria Sharapova was in vintage form in the final of the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix, finally breaking her finals jinx against World No.1 Victoria Azarenka and capturing her 25th WTA title with a 61 64 victory.

From an absolutely packed field that included all of the Top 8 players in the world it was Azarenka and Sharapova who were the last two standing, although it wasn't easy by any means - in the quarterfinals Azarenka had to rally from a break down in the third set to beat Mona Barthel, and Sharapova actually had to save a match point and battle over three hours to get past Sam Stosur.

In a semifinal line-up that featured the Top 4, Azarenka beat Agnieszka Radwanska while Sharapova beat Petra Kvitova. Not since Dinara Safina, Serena Williams, Venus Williams and Elena Dementieva made the semis of Wimbledon in 2009 had an all-Top 4 final four happened at any WTA event.

History said Azarenka was the favorite in the final - though her lead in their overall head-to-head was only 5-3, she was 4-0 in finals, winning them all in straight sets - including routine victories in their only head-to-head matches this year, 63 60 in the Australian Open final and 62 63 in the Indian Wells final.

But Sharapova was much sharper this time. She showed some laser-like precision on her groundstrokes, complementing powerful crosscourt blasts with pinpoint down-the-lines off both sides - and she was dominating on her serve, losing just 17 points in her nine service games in the match, not getting broken at all, in fact giving Azarenka just one break point to look at (and saving it).

To define Sharapova's sharpness, she hit 31 winners to just 13 unforced errors.

"This was such a tough tournament with such difficult opponents, so I'm just happy to be the champion," Sharapova said in the trophy presentation. "I came to Europe this year a bit earlier than I usually do. I added this to my schedule and was going to use it as a warm-up tournament for the clay court season. But maybe I should start doing it every year since it's obviously working for me."

With the aforementioned match point saved against Stosur, Sharapova is the second player this year to win a WTA title having been match point down (Angelique Kerber did it in Copenhagen) and the first player in 10 months to do it at a Premier event (Marion Bartoli did it at Eastbourne last June).

Sharapova also scored her sixth win over a World No.1, her first five coming against Lindsay Davenport (at Tokyo [Pan Pacific] and WTA Championships in 2005), Justine Henin (at the Australian Open in 2008), Amélie Mauresmo (at the US Open in 2006) and Caroline Wozniacki (at Rome last year).

"I had lost the last few previous encounters with Victoria, so I was extremely motivated today," Sharapova added. "When I got the chance to go out and play her again I knew I had to change a few things. Before I was maybe a little bit impatient and went for a bit too much sometimes, but this time I was really patient. I was aggressive but consistent when I had to be against her.

"I felt I played quite smart in the important moments in the match."

Azarenka was looking for her first Premier-level clay court title, her only previous WTA title on this surface coming at the International-level event in Marbella last year. She still leaves with a sparkling 29-2 win-loss record on the year.

The Belarusian was treated for a right wrist injury during the match.

"It's obviously not how I wanted it to turn out in the final today, but I'm not going to sit here and look for excuses - that's not my style," she said. "I lost today and that's it, I'm moving on. The world doesn't end. There's going to be another big tournament in one week and I just have to look forward. There's no looking back, even for a little bit. In the end, it was still a good week for me.

"And Maria served really well and her game was really on. All credit to her."

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #4046
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2012...rsistents.html

Steve Tignor, Tennis.com

The Persistents

04/30/2012 - 12:24 PM

We had seen a lot of celebrations from Maria Sharapova over the last 12 months, a lot of fists clenched, hands thrust high in the air, and kisses blown to the audience. But we hadn’t seen her look the way she looked after beating Victoria Azarenka 6-1, 6-4 in Stuttgart yesterday. This time Sharapova ended up doing something simpler yet more expressive: She smiled. It was a smile of relief and plain happiness, and, for a woman who projects an image of rigid and intimidating self-control, a surprisingly spontaneous moment.

Well, not that surprising when you think about it. This was a win that Maria had been waiting for, and a breakthrough on two fronts. After lopsided losses to Azarenka in the finals of the Aussie Open and Indian Wells, she had shown that wasn't going to play second-fiddle to Vika forever. Just as important, after suffering final-round defeats at last year’s Wimbledon and in her first three events of 2012, Sharapova had finished the job and ended the week on a winning note.

“I had lost the last few previous encounters with Victoria,” Sharapova said afterward, having regained her usual rigid verbal self-control, “so I was extremely motivated today.”

Even those words felt like an understatement. Sharapova was literally not stopping for anything on this day, including her opponent. In a reprise of the famous sideline “Bump” between Venus Williams and Irina Spirlea at the 1997 U.S. Open, Maria and Vika gave us the “Brush.” Walking to the sideline on a changeover, their eyes firmly planted on the court in front of them, the two top seeds barely avoided flattening each other.

In the end, it was Azarenka who seemed bothered by her opponent, despite those recent wins over her. More significantly, Vika was bothered by a wrist injury that required a mid-match tape job. Whatever the reason, she hit half as many winners as Sharapova and left her serve hanging, ready to be smacked. Sharapova smacked it repeatedly to the corners with her backhand, just as she had in her semifinal win over Petra Kvitova. The one question mark in Azarenka’s game over the last year had been her serve, and it looked especially vulnerable on Sunday. Sore wrist or not, she’ll have to do more with it if and when she runs into Kvitova or Serena Williams, neither of whom she’s played this season.

But this final was more about Maria than it was Vika. As it was winding up, Tennis Channel commentator Lindsay Davenport declared it the best match she’d seen Sharapova play since she had shoulder surgery all the way back in 2008. It’s hard to argue with that assessment. This looked like the old Maria, and it looked like the old Maria’s serve. She hit it with conviction and confidence to the corners; even her other, less-famous shoulder appeared to be rising higher than normal on her toss, allowing her to extend farther upward. Sharapova had five aces in the first set. In the semis, she used her serve to save 10 break points against Kvitova, and she saved an important one at 0-1 in the second set yesterday, when the momentum appeared ready to turn against her. Serving at 5-4 in the second, she had no trouble closing it out. She laced two backhands past Azarenka, hit an inspired lunging forehand volley, and finished with a service winner.

Sharapova has worked hard to shed her "cow on ice" image on clay, and this match showed the dividends. While she’s not going to win a Rafael Nadal impersonation contest, she slid well, particularly to her backhand side. She was the one pushing Azarenka back and controlling the middle of the court, rather than the other way around. Sharapova credited her patience from the baseline. “I knew I had to change a few things,” she said. “Before I was maybe a little bit impatient and went for it a bit too much sometimes, but this time I was really patient. I was aggressive but consistent when I had to be against her.”

The match was an echo of the Nadal-Novak Djokovic final in Monte Carlo. While there were extenuating circumstances in both, what’s important going forward is that both Rafa and Maria ended painful losing streaks—they have that winning feeling against their nemeses again.

Sharapova, who toughed out close wins over the highly ranked Kvitova and Sam Stosur to reach the final, certainly seemed to savor that feeling. As she walked to the other side of the court to give a hug to her coach, Thomas Hogstedt, and her hitting partner, Cecil Mamiit, I thought about her old entourage and how she had moved on over the years. In the past it had been her father, Yuri, and coach, Michael Joyce, who had formed an us-against-the-world support group. This crew is friendlier, but Maria hasn’t changed all that much.

The woman who could have been all about image and glamour and selling and branding, who could have taken the money and run, is still hungry to win and willing to take the hard road to do it. Sharapova could have stayed home until the mandatory event in Madrid, but she came over early for en extra clay tune-up. It might end up being the most important tournament of the season for her. And she closed it with her prettiest image: A smile.
18majors is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #4047
country flag Advantage Me

Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold

Great article. Maria does smile when she wins matches. Obviously the smile is bigger when she wins a tournament. Yesterday was the happiest I have seen. I think like Steve said, it was a smile of relief. She is no longer the bridesmaid.
Advantage Me is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #4048
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

Great article.

Maria's shoulders seem to be popular today - here in Tignor's article:
Quote:
even her other, less-famous shoulder
And here: http://www.thetennisspace.com/opinio...nd-whos-not-8/
Quote:
What impressed you more at the weekend, Sharapova’s right shoulder or her left? The left came ‘into play’ with a changeover bump during the Stuttgart final against Victoria Azarenka, with neither player wanting to give way as they crossed between the net and the umpire’s chair.
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:12 AM   #4049
Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future

Quote:
Sharapova Nets Title No.25
After losing her first three finals of 2012, Maria Sharapova defeated World No.5 Samantha Stosur, No.3 Petra Kvitova (whose 27-match indoor winning streak Sharapova snapped in the semifinals) and No.1 Victoria Azarenka en route to her first triumph of the season in Stuttgart. Here are some accolades the Russian can now add to her résumé...

- She is in fourth place amongst active players with 25 career titles, trailing only Venus Williams with 43, Kim Clijsters with 41 and Serena Williams with 40. She is tied with Amélie Mauresmo at 20th for most titles in the Open Era.
- This is her 10th straight year with a title, sixth-most all-time. Martina Navratilova leads with 21 straight years, then Chris Evert with 18, Steffi Graf with 14 and Evonne Goolagong Cawley and Virginia Wade with 11 each.
- She survived a match point in her quarterfinal win over Samantha Stosur, the first time in her career she saved match point en route to a title. The only other player in 2012 to accomplish this feat is Angelique Kerber in Copenhagen.

Top 4 Makes Final Four
Stuttgart featured the rare occurrence of the Top 4 players in the world reaching the semifinals - No.1 Victoria Azarenka, No.2 Petra Kvitova, No.3 Maria Sharapova and No.4 Agnieszka Radwanska. That has happened three other times this decade, interestingly enough each time at Wimbledon...

2009 Wimbledon: No.1 Dinara Safina, No.2 Serena Williams, No.3 Venus Williams, No.4 Elena Dementieva
2006 Wimbledon: No.1 Amélie Mauresmo, No.2 Kim Clijsters, No.3 Justine Henin, No.4 Maria Sharapova
2003 Wimbledon: No.1 Serena Williams, No.2 Kim Clijsters, No.3 Justine Henin, No.4 Venus Williams

Also, with Sharapova topping Azarenka in the final, this was the second time this year No.1 played No.2, with No.1 Azarenka victorious over No.2 Sharapova in the Indian Wells final.
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201204...256076_2755425
Suicide Tennis
Tipping Rank:#36
PAW Rank:#42 Titles New Haven 2014
FITD Rank:#108.
Three Hands Titles Montreal, Tokyo 2014
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:49 AM   #4050
Cherry.

Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of

Quote:
- This is her 10th straight year with a title, sixth-most all-time. Martina Navratilova leads with 21 straight years, then Chris Evert with 18, Steffi Graf with 14 and Evonne Goolagong Cawley and Virginia Wade with 11 each.
This is such a stellar record OMG. Look at the list. No Serena, no Venus, no Henin, no Clijsters but our gurl is up there with all these legends. She wins another title next year and she'll only be trailing Navratilova, Evert and Graf who are GOATS that have ever played the game. I'm so proud.
London Olympics 2012 - Proud Flag Bearer of Russian Federation & Silver Medalist

Martina Hingis|Roger Federer|Stanislas Wawrinka|Grigor Dimitrov
Cherry. is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread