** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2 - Page 262 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #3916
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

I love the "we're gonna play each others many more times" she will find a way to beat Vika I just know it, she is not gonna give up on it.
And Vika is really classy in her answer and yeah even though she beat Maria in straights you know it's not that easy she really needs to run a lot in their matches, bring back a lot of heavy balls that's never easy but it's true that Maria brings the best out of her, just like Justine brought the best out of Maria back in the days it's the way it is, to beat certain players you know you have to be at 100% sometimes and right now Maria needs to be at 100% to beat Vika too. Justine, Serena and Clijsters brought the fire and forced Maria to improve and now Generation Suck is doing it, Maria will be up to the challenge.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:52 PM   #3917
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

Here is a translation of Maria's interview for Russian Elle, that was made during her stay in Moscow for Fed Cup and published in one of March's editions of Elle. I have the scans of the magazine, but couldn't make a translation, since it is a long interview and I do not have time. Thanks to jelenacg, the translation was posted on twitter: https://docs.google.com/document/pub...2Z2YGko5LmJUrw
And once again, I love love love the "Russian side" of Maria, that is, when she speaks to Russian press.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 12:46 AM   #3918
country flag MS17

MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light MS17 is a glorious beacon of light

Maria Sharapova
On why she keeps playing tennis...
"It's just a passion of mine. When I wake up in the morning and think of all my options, there's nothing else that gives me that energy except going out on the court and knowing I'm good at what I do, and that I can be even better. I can make myself better or make myself worse - I'm very fortunate everything is in my hands. If you don't go out there and try to get better, nothing will come.

"Everything I've gained is because of tennis. Tennis makes me very happy."

On which Olympic sport impresses her the most...
"I love rhythmic gymnastics. I love dancing and I love the artform of it. I grew up in Russia with that culture and ballet. I did think I might do it, then I grew like 10 inches and realized those days were over."

On Alisa Kleybanova...

"I'm really happy she's back. It was sad news when we all heard about it - we didn't know what was going on until she reached out to everybody. But it was extremely positive to see her not only healthy again, but playing tennis again. It shows how much she loves the sport. To see somebody come back from that and still have the passion to go out and perform, it's really special."
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 12:54 AM   #3919
country flag lefty24

lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha Fierce View Post
Maria Sharapova
On why she keeps playing tennis...
"It's just a passion of mine. When I wake up in the morning and think of all my options, there's nothing else that gives me that energy except going out on the court and knowing I'm good at what I do, and that I can be even better. I can make myself better or make myself worse - I'm very fortunate everything is in my hands. If you don't go out there and try to get better, nothing will come.

"Everything I've gained is because of tennis. Tennis makes me very happy."

On which Olympic sport impresses her the most...
"I love rhythmic gymnastics. I love dancing and I love the artform of it. I grew up in Russia with that culture and ballet. I did think I might do it, then I grew like 10 inches and realized those days were over."

On Alisa Kleybanova...

"I'm really happy she's back. It was sad news when we all heard about it - we didn't know what was going on until she reached out to everybody. But it was extremely positive to see her not only healthy again, but playing tennis again. It shows how much she loves the sport. To see somebody come back from that and still have the passion to go out and perform, it's really special."
I love all those answers. I really think that the injury gave her even more passion.
Although I like regular gymnastics more, I'm really glad she loves rhythmic gymnastics. Those girls are insane.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 09:14 AM   #3920
Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future

March 22, 2012

M. SHARAPOVA/S. Peer

4 6, 6 3, 6 3

An interview with:

MARIA SHARAPOVA

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You had quite a battle out there. Talk about how the match proceeded and what got you through.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, she's a pretty tough opponent, especially for a first round, you know, someone that you usually see being a seed in these types of events.
I think she came off an injury a little bit ago, but she's definitely a really difficult player to play against because she makes you hit so many balls. She's a great you know, physically it's always a physical match against her.
In the beginning, you know, I was a bit sluggish; didn't feel like I was moving, you know, my feet very well and she was controlling most of the points. And also not serving very good in the first set.
So I think trying to be a bit more consistent was pretty much my game plan going into the next two sets.

Q. Was there any point where you thought really kind of turned it for you, got you where you wanted to go?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I mean, there was that tough game where I got the break in the second. I was down Love 40 and then I broke her for 2 love. I felt like the momentum switched a little bit, and I gained confidence after that.
She was serving extremely well, and actually, I think her percentage was quite high during the match. I wasn't getting, you know, too many looks on second serves.

Q. Is it always a huge relief to get through the first match? She's really a tough opening match for you.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, she is. Yeah, like I said, she's usually a seeded player at these type of events. I think she's been injured for a little bit so her ranking dropped.
But, yeah, it's always a very, very physical match. You know what to expect from someone like her. She gets a lot of balls back and makes you hit a lot. You have to be consistent, but you have to also, you know, play your game and be aggressive in order to win the match against someone like that.

Q. What do you think Olympic tennis at Wimbledon is going to be like?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Um, surreal. I think it will be a completely different experience, and I'm not really sure. I don't know what I will feel when I'm out on the court playing, you know, on grass at Wimbledon and knowing that it's not Wimbledon.
It's just a unique opportunity for all of us, but I'm extremely thrilled that it's at Wimbledon. It's my favorite place to play tennis at. I'm not complaining.

Q. Where does the Olympics rank on your list of priorities this year?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Absolutely.

Q. At the top?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Um, it's just always been a dream of mine since I was young. So I've always wanted even though we represent our country on a daily basis, this is an individual sport. I don't think you really get that feeling like you're representing your country at the Olympics.
So that's what I'm looking forward towards.

Q. Would you be available for mixed doubles?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I don't think mixed doubles is in my future. I think over my career, if you've seen, I've paid more attention to singles or doubles than mixed.
Even though it's the Olympics and obviously you want to give yourself as many chances to get a medal, I'd like to focus on what I do better. That's certainly singles.

Q. That's a lot of tennis.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, and it's a long summer, as well. I mean, I've never been really a part of that. Even at the Grand Slams, you never see me play three events in one Grand Slam.

Q. Talking about the conditions, everyone always talks about switching over from the desert in Indian Wells to here. How was it today? Humid? Less humid? Hard transition?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, it's probably the toughest transition. The quickest, especially if you make it to the final. I think I was the only one playing on Thursday out of the four that were in the final. I felt it a little bit today.
You know, it's also the time change and just the atmosphere and the conditions. Everything is different, obviously. The court and the playing conditions, as well. A bit more windy out there than it was in Palm Springs.

Q. Have you played under the lights on Centre Court yet at Wimbledon?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: With the roof closed?

Q. Yeah.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Once. Yeah, it was last year against Cibulkova.

Q. They're talking about some of the matches, because of the schedule they'll probably close it and play past 8:00. What do you think about that?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah. I mean, why not? I mean, as long as it doesn't go too late obviously. I mean, the schedule, I don't know who will be doing the scheduling, if it's the same people as Wimbledon.
But the Wimbledon organization usually likes to finish a bit earlier.

Q. What was it like playing under the roof? What do you remember about it?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: A bit of a different vibe. Yeah, the sound is completely different. The atmosphere, you can hear you know, you hear the atmosphere much more obviously than when the roof is open. And the ball and hitting the ball, even when it hits, the grass, as well, it's a different feeling.
I mean, I certainly enjoyed it. I played a good match, so...

Q. Can you talk about where you draw the strength from? Like today Shahar really looked like she was coming on, the crowd is cheering for her, you know, at 4 3 in the third, and then all of a sudden you just seemed to kind of take it up a notch or something, some fire gets going. What are you telling yourself in those moments to give yourself that edge?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I say that first of all it shouldn't have gone to 4 3. (Laughing.) It was 4 0. So, you know, obviously you had a little whether it's concentration, whether she picked up her level.
So it's just a matter of going back to what you think helps you get to those to that situation of being up 4 0, what helped you break her, you know.
But, yeah, it was very up and down, that's for sure. In these types of matches, it's almost, you know, more satisfying to pull through when you're not quite playing well and your opponent is, you know, you feel like she's hitting winners from all over the court.
I think it's just about being focused and really believing that even not on your best day that you'll be able to finish strong.

Q. Regarding Wimbledon, I think you won't have to wear white then.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No. I'm not wearing white. Yeah, when we were going over all the outfits for this year, it was just so strange to be going from Wimbledon and two weeks later going back to the grass and I'm wearing a red shirt. That will be quite unique.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports
Suicide Tennis
Tipping Rank:#29
PAW Rank:#29 Titles New Haven 2014
FITD Rank:#81.
Three Hands Titles Montreal, Tokyo 2014
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 12:47 PM   #3921
country flag Advantage Me

Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maja12 View Post
Here is a translation of Maria's interview for Russian Elle, that was made during her stay in Moscow for Fed Cup and published in one of March's editions of Elle. I have the scans of the magazine, but couldn't make a translation, since it is a long interview and I do not have time. Thanks to jelenacg, the translation was posted on twitter: https://docs.google.com/document/pub...2Z2YGko5LmJUrw
And once again, I love love love the "Russian side" of Maria, that is, when she speaks to Russian press.
Thank you so much for the link to the Russian interview. It is definitely refreshing.
Advantage Me is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #3922
Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future

March 24, 2012

M. SHARAPOVA/S. Stephens

6 4, 6 2

An interview with:

MARIA SHARAPOVA

Q. Seemed like a match where the scoreline was reflective of how it went, tough start, and then...
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I mean, I got off to a good start. I was up 4 1 and had opportunities to finish it off pretty good. But, you know, she came back strong and started moving really well. Never faced her before, so, you know, it took a little bit of time to figure out her game.
But I did a good job of hanging in there even when she started playing a lot better. Yeah, in the second set I played much better than the first. That was good.

Q. You said you don't hang around the locker rooms, but how much did you know about her game or her personality?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Not much at all. Haven't really seen her play. Um, you know, my coach watched a little bit of a previous match, I think.
So other than that, I really didn't know too much. Never met her before, so very rare in the game of tennis because usually you face everyone multiple times.
But she's someone that's, you know, coming up and new. You know, she's becoming good in the world of tennis.
Yeah, when you face these types of opponents they can be quite dangerous because you don't know what to expect from them.

Q. You're into the fourth round for the eighth time in nine showings. What is it about this tournament and the conditions that really suits your game?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I just love coming back to the event. I have come here since I was a junior because it was like a four hour drive for my family and I. We would just get in the car and go watch the matches and be a spectator.
So, you know, I just hoped that one day I would play on that court. I have been fortunate to get the opportunity to play on it many times and get in the finals a few times, as well.
Yeah, it just feels so close to home, and so I feel like a lot of friends from Sarasota, Bradenton come up and watch me.
Yeah, I love the weather despite it being hot most of the time. I grew up in it, so it's comfortable for me.

Q. Do you think it's harder to face somebody that's new for you?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Just the unexpected game and not really you know, you can always obviously hear things from other people and you can get a scouting report from a coach or some other person or maybe some other players have faced her before.
But until you actually go and play them and feel the way they hit the ball and their pace and their spins, um, and, you know, their patterns on the court, you never get a feel for how they actually play.
So that's always a new opponent.

Q. Is your family here with you? Is your dad living in Florida now?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Um, my parents travel so much. My mom is actually here with me. Yeah.
But, yeah, my dad usually he doesn't come to the tournaments anymore. He's a skier now and climbing up mountains and all that stuff that I don't like to do. (Smiling.)

Q. Where is he now?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: He's in Sochi, in my hometown in Russia.

Q. Are you one of the spokespeople or representatives for the Winter Olympics in Sochi?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I was, yeah before we I was helping them get it. So that was pretty surreal, because not many people knew of Sochi when I had come to the States, and when I said where I was from they asked me where is it in relation to Moscow.
So that was the only thing that people kind of asked. Now people are so aware that the winter Olympics are going to be there, and I think it's pretty surreal because that's where I spent, you know, my childhood in Russia, as well as Yevgeny Kafelnikov.
I always felt it was such a beautiful city with so much to do. It was just so unexpected that we got it. I think everyone is just thrilled.

Q. Are you going, planning on going?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I really hope I can. That would be amazing, because, I mean, I was on those slopes when I was young just, I don't know, running around and going on the lifts and enjoying the scenery. An hour drive you can be swimming in the Black Sea. It's really amazing.

Q. Makarova is a player who can step it up in big time way.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: She's tricky. She's also been playing really good tennis this year and obviously having a good Australian Open. I beat her in two straight sets in Australia.
But I know she's a tough opponent that's, you know, faced really tough points before and has beaten them. She can certainly, you know, raise her level and play extremely well.
She's also a lefty. Not too many lefties in the tour, you know, so the spin comes a little bit differently.
Other than that, I mean, I'm looking forward to it. I think we'll play a good match out there.

Q. Have you had a chance to follow the comeback of Kleybanova at all?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I just saw her today actually for the first time. You know, we spoke for a few minutes before my match. I just said it's all the tennis aside, it's just really good to see her. That's what it all comes down to.
We always forget we're kind of rushing in and out of practice and matches and going about our lives. When you see someone that's gone through so much and come back to play the game of tennis, it's just you have so much respect for the person.

Q. Do you have any plans like Federer, Tsonga? They're going to be in South America in the end of the year. Do you have any plans out of the regular tournaments?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: To play in South America?

Q. Yes.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Not as of now. But, yeah unless there's exhibitions. But I haven't really been there too much actually in my career.
I hope to definitely. It's a little far, to be honest. (Smiling.)
I don't know where it can fit in the schedule, but it would be a good opportunity because I know I have many fans over there.

Suicide Tennis
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #3923
country flag Advantage Me

Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold Advantage Me is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for posting the article. The last question should have been worded "Do you have any plans in Turkey at the end of the year?"
Advantage Me is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #3924
country flag ~MashyOwnThemAll

~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold

March 26, 2012

M. SHARAPOVA/E. Makarova

6 4, 7 6

An interview with:

MARIA SHARAPOVA

Q. Do you feel fortunate in a way with getting through that match when it was pretty tough?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah. Yeah, you know, I felt like I was up a set and a break, and, you know, played a bit sloppy. Combination of her stepping up, and, you know, being much more aggressive.
And, yeah, I mean, she had opportunities; served for the second set. You know, I just hung in there and stayed consistent. You know, I played a much smarter tiebreaker, and I think, you know, that helped me extremely.

Q. How about the double faults? Are you worried at all?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No.

Q. You've gotten through the first two rounds despite them. Will they catch up with you at some point?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, it's definitely not easy to play with that. But I managed to win the match in two sets, so that's a plus. Definitely consistency will be really important in the next match and getting the percentage up, you know, and also returning a little bit better, little things here and there.

Q. Off the subject, but a few weeks ago you played a point with Rory McIlroy, right?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Uh huh.

Q. Number one, could you assess his abilities? Number two, did you throw the point? number three, do you play golf?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Um, three, no, I don't. Never have. Mini golf. Apart from that, no. (Smiling.)
Yeah, it was just the whole exhibition was extremely fun, so I think it was just it was really entertaining to be able to, you know, get him out there and play a point. Actually never met him before that, so that was our official meeting.
But, no, it was fun. I mean, of course I had to let him have the point, you know.

Q. You hit long on purpose?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: We were playing out there for like an hour already and he just came out. You know, we'd played so many points I had to let the guy win a point in Madison Square Garden (smiling).
I know he's not gonna play golf in there, so...

Q. Can you talk about what it adds when the Williams sisters are in a tournament? People say women's tournaments lack rivalries, and you and Serena had such a great rivalry for such a long time. What does it bring when they're both in the field?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, we did. I was injured for a while and then she was out for a while, so, I mean, rivalries are one of the best things about sports, and creating them.
Yeah, I mean, it's always great for the game. They've obviously achieved so much in tennis around the world and contribute so much to the sport that it's always to have these two great athletes playing in your sport, it's always, not just for the fans, but for the game of tennis around the world, it's really good to see.

Q. Have you watched them both play? How do you think they're doing, considering both of their layoffs?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I haven't, actually. I don't get The Tennis Channel in my hotel, so I haven't. Sometimes that's a good thing (smiling).
No, I haven't watched too much.

Q. How would you compare the Penn balls at this tournament to Wilson balls or balls at other tournaments? Which better suits your game?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it all depends on the conditions in which you're playing with them, also. It just varies depending on if you're in dry conditions and humid conditions, if it's, you know, cold or warm outside.
I mean, I think all of them are fine. I mean, we're pretty capable of adjusting to whatever we have to play with. There was an issue with one ball a few years ago of it being too heavy, but that hasn't been obviously when the conditions are cold and wet and heavy the ball gets a lot heavier.
It's a little bit tougher to play, especially when you're the European season you get those droughts of cold weather on the clay and the ball seems extremely heavy, but here I don't think we've ever really faced that problem.
It's all good.

Q. So you think more of it's more conditions rather than balls?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, because everything is a factor. You have so many things. I mean, I think that's why it's also so unique in the sport, is you have a racquet, then you choose your strings, and you play with a certain ball. There are so many balls to choose from. The conditions always change, unlike other sports where pretty much you know what you're gonna get.
That's what makes it so interesting, is that you can kind of adapt. But sometimes you're not sure, yeah.

Q. Do you ever stick around and scout an opponent or on a day off go watch an opponent, a possible future opponent?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, that's what you pay your coach a lot of money for. (Smiling.)

Q. I want to ask another equipment question about stringing. Some players are very, very particular and like to change the strings based on weather and stuff like that. How particular are you about the stringing of the racquet? Do you have your own stringer? Do you use the ones on site?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'm clueless about this stuff, really.

Q. Uh huh. You're not into the science?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, I just I don't know. Like I feel the difference, but I don't know like if you give me a racquet to play with and it's completely different string, like I won't notice it until maybe the next day when you tell me something about it.
I mean, in a way it's good because it's maybe a little bit easier to adapt. But other times I'm sure it's really frustrating for my team because they always ask me questions, How is it? I give them like the three word answer, "I don't know."

Q. This is the first tournament kind of where everyone's back: The Williams sisters are back; Kim Clijsters came back; pretty much the entire WTA Tour is healthy. Can you discuss the depth of the WTA Tour right now, you know, again, presuming health of everyone? Do you think it's the deepest it's been in a while?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, it's obviously great to see everybody healthy and competing at a big event like this, because, I mean, for us, you know, with Indian Wells and this event, they're probably, you know, the biggest tournaments after the Grand Slams.
So when you have everybody playing here, that's a really good sign for tennis and fans. I mean, that's what you always want. Of course, injuries are part of the sport, and we always emphasize how important it is to stay healthy. Because really it's so important. Haven't said it enough.
But, yeah, to have everyone here is great.
~MashyOwnThemAll is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #3925
Crux Squall

March 27, 2012

M. SHARAPOVA/L. Na

6 3, 6 0

An interview with:

MARIA SHARAPOVA

Q. With the style of tennis you play, there aren't many matches you win with single digit winners. What is that an adjustment you made when you saw how she was playing?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Ah, yeah, well, I came into this match losing to her the last few times. You know, I just really wanted to change that, so I was extremely focused and, you know, looking forward to that match.
Yeah, I was just really consistent today in those conditions where, you know, it's a little gusty and blowing around and facing a tough opponent. Consistency is really very important while playing my game. So it was that combination. I did a good job of that, maintaining that throughout the match.

Q. It's been a while. You have been hitting your groundstrokes incredibly well. She made a lot of errors, but they were long rallies and just kept the ball in play. How do you account for that? It's been for a while now, actually.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, well, it's important to I mean, my game is obviously the way it is by being aggressive and going for my shots, but also, you know, making sure that if it takes three or four or five, six balls, you know, for the opponent to make a mistake, then that's what it takes.
So it's having, you know, that consistency and also the will to be out there for as long as it takes.

Q. Do you feel that you're a much better player now than you were when you last won a major? How would you rate yourself now compared to when you last won a major? Do you feel you're an all around better player?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's really tough to compare, tough to compare at different times in your career. You know, I have been through a lot since my last Grand Slam win.
I was out of the game for a while, so you do look at the sport and playing a lot differently than I did when I was, you know, 21 or so years old.
So, yeah, it's just a different way. Tough to compare, it really is. You know, I wish I could say, This is better; this is worse. But at the end of the day, all you're trying to do is get better. You know, get better from your last match and try to improve.

Q. I want to ask you about more of a personal question. I think a lot of your fans think of you as very glamorous person, and yet a lot of your opponents think you as one of the fiercest fighters on the tour. How do you reconcile those two parts of you?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Um, it's interesting, because from a fans' perspective, when you don't have access to the person on a personal level, from what you see is when you're on the court to doing interviews to pictures, events, and so on, it can seem very, you know, pretty and glamorous and everything seems amazing.
But they're not there when you're waking up at 7:00 in the morning and you're going out on the court and you're practicing for six hours a day, and, you know, you're going to sleep at 9:30 exhausted for six days out of the week in order to become a better tennis player.
So it's a very thin line between of course, we're so privileged. I mean, the things I have been able to do in my career, that tennis has brought I mean, I never thought I would be able to have those and experience those.
They're extremely fun and keep me entertained and I love doing them. I love being creative and working with the brands that I have and meeting talented people.
But at the end of the day I have a really normal life, as well. I have a family, and I'm a woman, and, you know, I still appreciate very small things in life.
I know that I play a sport and I'm very competitive and I want to win and I scream, Come on and all those things, but when I'm home, I'm very chill. (Smiling.)
So it's a very interesting. Yeah, of course, when people don't see you on a daily basis and don't actually talk to you, many people can have certain perceptions of who you are and how they see you.

Q. One supplemental question: Where are you more comfortable, on red carpet? At a photo shoot? On the practice court? You know, at a tournament on court?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: There is nothing more mortifying than the red carpet. (Smiling.)
Really. It's only about like a minute experience, but it's really terrifying and it's I don't want to say "fake," but it's a very it's one big illusion, to be honest. The things you see on a red carpet, everything is perfect, the image of a person there dressed beautifully with hair and makeup and wonderful styling.
You come home I come home an hour later and I take everything off, and, you know, where did all that glamour go? (Smiling.)
So, I mean, I love what I do. I love playing tennis, and I know that thing that ultimately wins me matches is the hard work I put on the court.
When I have tough things in my life going on, when I go on court it's like it's like my oasis. You know, you forget about everything when you're out there. I love that feeling.
I know it sounds silly because you're hitting a tennis ball and you're trying to improve, but really, it's such a good feeling when you feel that you're good at something and you could be better. I think as a young woman it's a nice feeling to have.

Q. You talk about grinding out matches and hard work. How nice is it, this deep in the tournament, to have a match just over an hour?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, my previous ones have been pretty long. I mean, the first one was over two hours, and the last couple two hours. So it's definitely nice to have a shorter one. I won't lie.
That's always a bonus, whether you feel you played the match faster or whether you played that well to win the match that fast. I'll take it.

Q. Do you think you have any benefit or advantage for being beautiful?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: In what? In what? In life or...

Q. No, in your job.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, my job doesn't require beauty, so, you know...

Q. (Indiscernible.)
MARIA SHARAPOVA: You know, at the end of the day, I think if you feel beautiful, then that's what makes you beautiful.

Q. Those days when you go to sleep at 9:30 dead tired and you're looking at a string of them, far away from all this hubub and stuff, is it difficult for you to get out of bed the next morning and get yourself back out on that practice court?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Oh, yes. (Laughter.)
There are so many days. Oh, it's all yeah, it's not like every day you're like, Hip, hip hooray, my alarm is off at 7:30. Yeah, let's go. Especially in the winter days when it's freezing outside.
Oh, and it's like extremely windy and you're going out there and there is just nobody out on the courts. Also, the schedule, you know, tennis usually everyone has the weekends off. So Saturday, Sundays, everyone is in the city and enjoying like the beach and all that. I'm like waking up on a Sunday morning, and, you know, going to train.
You do have those feelings once in a while. You're extremely tired, but then when you're playing the finals of a Grand Slam on a Saturday when everyone's, you know, walking their dog in the park, you feel extremely privileged, so...

Q. You talk about having a busy schedule. Have you had time to set any sort of date yet for your wedding?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Um, we're still working on it.

Q. You have been one of the most consistent players this year, along with Azarenka. The consistency in the top 10 and having a rivalry brewing, how do you think that helps the tour?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, extremely important. Personally for me it's extremely important because I don't play maybe as many events as other girls do throughout the years. So the tournaments that I do play, you know, I really put everything into them and, like, I get ready as well as I can for them.
I usually play 16 or if I get to 16 I'm usually lucky in the year. That means I'm, you know, healthy and playing all the big tournaments.
So, yeah, it's very important for the sport itself when you're when fans see the consistency and the level. That brings a lot of fans and a lot more viewership to our sport. It's no doubt that it's good for it.

Q. What do you think of the WTA's Strong is Beautiful campaign?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I like it. I think it's very unique to what they've done before, to all the advertisements, and I think it's been I don't know. It's a stronger message than we've ever done before.
It's much more creative, especially with the shoots and the videos that we've seen from all the I think fans are seeing a much different side of these women, which is great, because constantly fans, you know, only see them for a limited time in tennis clothes and competing and sweating.
So it's a very nice atmosphere for them.

Q. What are you reading these days?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'm reading a magazine. (Smiling.)

Q. Heavy reading, eh?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: A lot of e mails. (Smiling.)
Um, what am I reading? What did I just finish? Oh, I read I have been in like a French mode not in French, but I read this book called Bringing Up Bebe. It's about this American family that compares raising children in France to the United States.
I'm always really fascinated by those things, because, you know, parenting is such an interesting cultural thing, different, you know, in countries.
So, yeah, I read the tiger's wife something, the Chinese way of raising children. So, yeah, it was interesting to get like the French/American perspective.

Q. Is there a theme here, underlying theme?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, no. Definitely no. Don't start anything now. Don't start any rumors. We don't need that. (Laughter.)

Q. The next round you could play either Serena or Caroline. Caroline you played a lot in 2011 and before that, with Serena you have had less success. Talk about each of those opponents and the successes and challenges.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, either one is extremely tough. Like you said, you know, I haven't beaten Serena in a while. So, you know, I'd love to play her. You know, it's good to see her back and playing really good tennis. You know, she hasn't played too much in the last two years, me first being out and then she was out for a while.
And Caroline, she's been one of the most consistent players on the tour for many reasons.
But, yeah, either way it's obviously the semifinals, so it's a tough stage and a tough opponent no matter who you'll meet.

Q. Do you ever find yourself paying any attention to these other storylines that develop through a tournament, like the comeback of Venus Williams making it to the quarterfinals?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I mean, I don't follow it as much as you do because it's your job, obviously. But it's certainly great to see that she's overcome what she had. And to be able to play, you know, so many three set matches and to be in physical shape, you know, shows that obviously she's back and playing 100%, which is great.

Q. Do you ever watch any of her matches?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I don't. I don't have the tennis going on in my hotel, so I'm certainly not going to Google it or something. Or get it on the Internet.

Q. Streaming?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah.

Q. Aside from competition, what are some other ways that you're a very stubborn person?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Oh, in so many things. It's ridiculous. It's borderline obnoxious. I don't know. It's been like since I was young. I mean, it's like if you read about an Aries, I'm like 100% Aries, Chinese rabbit, all that stuff.
Just read about me there. All that info is me. I don't know why, but it's me.

Suicide Tennis
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #3926
country flag gc-spurs

gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Wow her interviews have actually started getting interesting, I may actually keep on reading them from now on. She's pretty honest this year, less of those boring regurgitated answers. LOL @ the underlying theme question. Also can't believe someone asked if she thought she had an advatage being totes beauts.

Bring on all the pretenders. Someday, WE WILL BE REMEMBERED
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversmith View Post
oudin is a great player she already beat maria i expect to do the same now
btw whos bolivia smith?
gc-spurs is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #3927
Cherry.

Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of

Quote:
Q. Is there a theme here, underlying theme?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, no. Definitely no. Don't start anything now. Don't start any rumors. We don't need that. (Laughter.)
London Olympics 2012 - Proud Flag Bearer of Russian Federation & Silver Medalist

Martina Hingis|Roger Federer|Stanislas Wawrinka|Grigor Dimitrov
Cherry. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #3928
country flag lefty24

lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha great interview. I agree her responses have been really good this year.
And this also dispels the wedding rumors.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #3929
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2cruxs2 View Post
March 27, 2012 Q. I want to ask you about more of a personal question. I think a lot of your fans think of you as very glamorous person, and yet a lot of your opponents think you as one of the fiercest fighters on the tour. How do you reconcile those two parts of you?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: So it's a very interesting. Yeah, of course, when people don't see you on a daily basis and don't actually talk to you, many people can have certain perceptions of who you are and how they see you.

Q. One supplemental question: Where are you more comfortable, on red carpet? At a photo shoot? On the practice court? You know, at a tournament on court?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: When I have tough things in my life going on, when I go on court it's like it's like my oasis. You know, you forget about everything when you're out there. I love that feeling.

Q. Do you think you have any benefit or advantage for being beautiful?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: In what? In what? In life or...

Q. No, in your job.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, my job doesn't require beauty, so, you know...

Q. (Indiscernible.)
MARIA SHARAPOVA: You know, at the end of the day, I think if you feel beautiful, then that's what makes you beautiful.
love how she answered certain parts
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #3930
country flag Dieter.
Lifetime Member

Dieter. is a name known to all Dieter. is a name known to all Dieter. is a name known to all Dieter. is a name known to all Dieter. is a name known to all Dieter. is a name known to all Dieter. is a name known to all Dieter. is a name known to all Dieter. is a name known to all Dieter. is a name known to all Dieter. is a name known to all

From Maria's facebook:

Quote:
Hi Everyone! Wanted to tell you about a meaningful project that I was asked to be a part of..
Kate Winslet put a book together to support the Golden Hat Foundation, which focuses on helping people with autism. It features the “first words” of more than a hundred influential actors and musicians, including myself. Ok, I'm not an actor or a musician but I made it in the book...wahoo! Together we can give these individuals a voice and a meaningful life of their own. Its a beautiful book for you or as a gift.. Here’s the site www.goldenhatfoundation.org.

It is not often you get a personal email from someone so passionate about a project so I want to congratulate Kate on a wonderful idea and a beautifully finished product.
P.S...that hat needs a vacation after all the traveled miles!

Dieter. is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread