** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2 - Page 23 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 04:32 PM   #331
country flag Sharapovian
Pinkpova

Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

From Facebook:

Maria Sharapova I thought it was important for me and all my fans to take the time to recognize Billie Jean and the Original Nine for everything they have done for women's tennis. I am personally grateful for their vision and their 'fight' for all the generations that followed them. I am very aware and humbled of what these nine women have done for my career.

Sharapovian is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM   #332
country flag Marilyn Monheaux

Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute

She really really loves BJK and everything she stands for.

Quote:
40 YEARS ON...THE ORIGINAL 9

On September* 23rd 1970, the birth of women's professional tennis was launched when nine players signed $1 contracts with World Tennis publisher Gladys Heldman to compete in a new women's tour.

The Original 9, as they were called, included Billie Jean King, Rosie Casals, Nancy Richey, Kerry Melville, Peaches Bartkowicz, Kristy Pigeon, Judy Dalton, Valerie Ziegenfuss and Julie Heldman.

Heldman, along with her friend Joe Cullman from Philip Morris and several others, provided women's professional tennis the opportunity the Original 9 and so many others sought. The inaugural $7,500 Virginia Slims of Houston was established on September 23, 1970 and it was the event that became the groundbreaker for all others.

Maria's thoughts on what the Orginal 9 achieved: " I thought it was important for me and all my fans to take the time to recognize Billie Jean King and the Original Nine for everything they have done for women's tennis. I am personally grateful for their vision and their "fight" for all the generations that followed them. I am very aware and humbled of what these 9 women have done for my career."
Marilyn Monheaux is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #333
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone find Maria's postmatch interview?
Lachy is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #334
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

"My opponent played really a solid match," the 23-year-old Sharapova said.
"I didn't feel comfortable throughout the match. [My] rhythm wasn't there and I couldn't take an advantage. She did a good job.
"Her style of play is quite different. Her strokes are pretty fast, she stays inside the baseline and takes the ball early, so the style is different from the majority on the tour.
"On this fast surface, she uses that advantage, especially today, I think she did incredibly well," added the Russian.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=tennis
denny5576 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #335
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

"Momentum is so big in tennis," said the three-time grand slam winner, who is still struggling to return to the top of the women's game after shoulder surgery in 2008.
"If you give your opponent a chance they can get confident and take the momentum away."
Sharapova, who committed 11 double-faults in total, praised the fitness of her opponent, who returned to professional tennis in 2008 after 12 years away from the game.
"It's incredible," said Sharapova. "It just shows you how she has stayed in such great shape while away from the game. She is incredibly fit."

http://ca.reuters.com/article/sports...68Q1LS20100927
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #336
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Thanks! Not what I wanted to hear though
Lachy is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #337
country flag joćo.
;

joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute

This may sound weird but sometimes I wish she wasn't so classy in her press conferences after losing, it just may seem like she doesn't care or something.
joćo. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #338
country flag slamchamp

slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute

Me too I want her pissed..don't praise Kimiko! You just lost to a forty year old woman!!!
you should support a good player and not a stinking cheat with an attitude problem
slamchamp is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #339
country flag Solidus

Solidus is just really nice Solidus is just really nice Solidus is just really nice Solidus is just really nice Solidus is just really nice Solidus is just really nice Solidus is just really nice Solidus is just really nice Solidus is just really nice Solidus is just really nice Solidus is just really nice

She is a classy girl. She'll never make excuses or insult her opponent (unless the opponent was being extremely obnoxious).
Solidus is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #340
country flag Nina.

Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute

I like they way she talks about Kimiko I prefer that to just saying that she played the worst match ever and that she gifted everything to her opponent.
However, she obviously has to be critical of herself as well and face the problems in her own game (not only talking about this match but about many this year).
One more note, she praises Kimiko's fitness and as much as I admire her for still bebing around and quite successful at that age, there is no way her fitness should be better than Maria's - who is 23.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #341
country flag denny5576

Tennis: 'Incredible' Date Krumm stuns Sharapova

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Kimiko Date Krumm took Maria Sharapova to the old school of tennis Monday, scoring one of the biggest wins in the history of the Japanese game with a three-set victory over the former world No. 1 in the first round of the Pan Pacific Open.
Date Krumm, the wild card and the oldest player in the draw who turns 40 on Tuesday, beat defending champion Sharapova 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 in a match that lasted 2 hours, 9 minutes on the center court at Ariake Tennis Forest Park.
"I think I'll remember the last day of my 30s for a long time," said Date Krumm, who faces Daniela Hantuchova in the next round. "Hopefully, I can enjoy the first day of my 40s just as much tomorrow."
The tournament's 1999 winner drew singular praise from her Russian counterpart.
"I think it's incredible," said Sharapova, the No. 12 seed. "It shows she stayed in such great shape even when she was away from the game. It takes quite a while to come back and be at a fit level."
Date Krumm, who played her first match on home soil this year, only returned two days ago from Seoul, where she lost in the quarterfinals of the Korea Open.
"I came back from Korea, and had a hard time getting rid of the fatigue," she said. "I felt better when I woke up this morning, but I wasn't completely sure how I would be until I actually stepped onto the court.
"She's the defending champion and a former world No. 1 and needless to say, she's very talented. I don't stand a chance against her if I don't play at my best, so I just focused on getting myself as ready as possible."
Sharapova had never lost in the opening round at five previous Pan Pacific Opens, and was trying to become the first player to defend the title since Lindsay Davenport in 2003 and 2004.
But Sharapova, who is 17 years Date Krumm's junior, self-destructed with 11 double faults and was up 3-2 in the third set before the Japanese veteran broke her serve from 40-0 to key the comeback.
The 1.88-meter Sharapova, who towers over Date Krumm by 25 centimeters, said she struggled to adjust to her opponent's game, which is unlike that of most players.
"Her style of play is quite different," Sharapova said. "Her strokes are pretty fast and she stays inside the baseline and takes the ball early.
"Her style is not similar to the majority of the girls on tour -- especially against someone that likes to hit big and faster on the court. She really uses that to her advantage; that's what she did incredibly well."
In a meeting of two former champions -- the first ever between Sharapova and Date -- it was the Japanese veteran who took the first set after being down 5-4 to Sharapova.
Date forced deuce to make it five all before winning the next two games as Sharapova struggled with her shots, taking herself out of the match mentally.
But the former Wimbledon queen regrouped for the second set, racing out to a 3-0 lead. Date chipped away at the advantage, pulling three games back, but a calmer, cooler Sharapova found a way to spot her serve as she evened the score at one set apiece.
Date would not go away, however, frustrating Sharapova with superb shot location and a tenacity that belied her age as she clawed her way back in the match for victory, which was met with a standing ovation from the crowd.
"When I broke her and I was serving at 40-0, I just started making really easy errors off the serve and off the ground strokes as well," Sharapova said of the third set.
"I think that really lifted her game and gave her confidence. And in tennis, momentum is so big. When you give your opponent a little bit of a break, it's easy for her to gain a little confidence and carry on with it. That's what happened."
In the first match of the day at center court, Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan came back to defeat Kurumi Nara 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 and Ana Ivanovic beat Alisa Kleybanova 6-3, 6-2.
Sixth seed Agnieszka Radwanska swept past Olga Govortsova of Belarus 6-2, 6-3 in the second round, and No. 3 seed Jelena Jankovic also reached the third round with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Ukraine's Alona Bondarenko.
Rain moved several matches to the National Training Center, where Italy's Sara Errani beat Barbora Zahlavova Strycova 6-3, 6-2 while Roberta Vinci defeated Nadia Petrova 7-5, 6-4.
Ninth seed Svetlana Kuznetsova went through after Hungary's Agnes Szavay retired while being up 4-3 in the first set.

(Mainichi Japan) September 28, 2010
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/sport...sp007000c.html
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #342
country flag slamchamp

slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute slamchamp has a reputation beyond repute

Ewww Maria what's up with your errors then at 40-0?? What's up with the choking
you should support a good player and not a stinking cheat with an attitude problem
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #343
country flag denny5576

China Open Will Hold Opening Ceremony on the National Day

2010-09-30 11:25

The tournament of China Open will starts from Oct.1st, the 61st birthday of Peoples Republic of China. The Opening Ceremony will be held at 10:30 am tomorrow, showing charm of tennis fashion and joy. National Tennis Court will welcome seed players to warm-up and main draw will be published on Oct.1st.

WTA Crown Jewel Event and ATP 500 of China Open will successively hit the stage on Oct.1st after ITF events which has already begun on Sep.25th. As the first group of audience will visit tournament at 10:00 am, Box Office will open at 9:00 am to provide convenience for tennis fans

With lots of attraction and innovation, the Opening Ceremony is one of the important events in China Open. Many important guests will attend the ceremony and superstars will be present as well. The Organizing Committee specially adds fashion and entertainment elements to the ceremony, which will receive fansЎЇ resonance

The main draw list of WTA Singles will be revealed and a mystery superstar will be invited to take part in the ballot. As a Crown Jewel Event, China Open attracts top players around the world. Chinese Little Flowers with wild card will compete with famous players such as Schneider, Dusheweinuo and Anna Chakvetadze in Qualification on Oct.1st

Champions of Grand Slam included Maria Sharapova, Venus Williams and Kuznetsova will run after titles in WTA while Novak Djokovic and Murray will take the lead of ATP. In addition, Chinese players Li Na, Peng Shuai and Gong Maoxin are among the participants. These popular players have successively arrived at National Tennis Center for warm-up. They will not only attend the opening ceremony but also take parts in Carnival events.
The wonderful and amazing 2010 China Open is on the verge of bloom!
http://www.chinaopen.com.cn/en/news/...0/112571.shtml
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #344
country flag Marilyn Monheaux

Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
M. SHARAPOVA/T. Pironkova

6‑4, 7‑6

THE INTERPRETER:

Questions, please.

Q. I wanted to ask you a little bit about how you felt about the matchtoday. At times you seemed a little bit sluggish. () How was your preparation since being in Tokyolast week?

MARIASHARAPOVA: Yeah, going down in the first round in Tokyo and coming here gives you kind of a little bit of a window to prepare but also doesn't give you as much match play as you obviously had hoped. The first rounds are always quite difficult, and I faced a tough opponent today.

You know (1), I think the first rounds are never quite perfect and you just try to, you know (2), find your way and your rhythm a little bit, and there are definitely a few ups and downs. At the end of the day, I found a way to win, and, you know (3), that was the most important thing today.

Q.You had several early leads, multiple match point opportunities both during the game and in the tiebreaker, but your opponent came back pretty often throughout the match. I was wondering how you would evaluate your performance during those times.

MARIASHARAPOVA: Obviously in an ideal situation you want to take those opportunities, and, you know (4), you don't really want to give your opponent those chances to come back, but I think she stepped up when she was behind.

Sometimes it's when your opponent plays their best tennis is when they're behind, and they kind of don't have much to lose and they go for their shots. She started swinging away, and I was a little bit late and a little bit more tentative, and, you know (5), let her back in the match. Like I said, that was one of the things, there was a little too many swings today。

Q.Is there any part of your game that you're not particularly happy with at the moment? Any area that you think you could improve upon?

MARIASHARAPOVA: I think it's, you know (6), the consistency, and, you know (7), not really having those swings and not really letting my opponent, you know (8), get back in the games and in the points. You know (9), it's obviously difficult in the first round, because you're trying to get your rhythm, and the conditions are not ideal, and you're playing a tricky opponent that throws a lot of things at you from the baseline.

But, I mean, I think consistency is one of them and cut down on the errors, yeah。

Q.I know you got injured so you changed your serving style in 2008, so I'd like to ask you that you didn't play as good, as well, as year before, so did you find a solution?

MARIASHARAPOVA: Yeah, because I was out of the game for about nine months with my shoulder, and I really wanted to comeback as quick as I could. I had to make a few adjustments in my game, because if not, I don't think my shoulder was quite ready for it.

So I did have to change my motion for, you know, for about five or six months, I would say. You know (10), after I felt like I was getting the strength back in it and I felt like I could play, you know (11), week in and week out and playing a lot of matches, and I felt strong, you know (12), then I went back to kind of a fuller motion and not quite as full as it was maybe when I used to play before surgery, but certainly a lot more fluid than after.

Q.What do you think of the current WTA Tour schedule? Do you think it's a bit tough for the players since you were just been suffering from injuries? Are you satisfied with the current Roadmap, or do you think they have to reduce some of the matches to meet the need of theplayers?

MARIASHARAPOVA: We've certainly reduced the amount of mandatory tournaments in the calendar year, so the players actually, you know (13), have a lot more say in their schedule. You know (14), they have to commit to the bigger events because that's really important, you know (15), for tournaments and sponsors to know that, you know (16), which players are coming in terms of advertisement, and, you know (17), for them to build up a tournament that's quite important.

So for those mandatory tournaments, you know (18), it's pretty important to play them asfar as ‑‑ you know (19), the other ones around those tournaments, it's all a personal choice and it depends how many tournaments you want to play in a year.

I've never really been the type of player that can, you know (20), physically handle over 20 tournaments a year. I don't think I've played that in my career, you know (21), but there are some that can, you know (22), that do quite well and sometimes play better the more tournaments they play。

It's more of a personal choice, and I think it depends on an individual's body and how much they can play and howmuch they can take。

Q.A few of the top seeds are not here, the Williams sisters. How do you rate your chances here? Do you see yourself going quite far? What's your long‑term goals going forward?

MARIASHARAPOVA: It's tough to focus on who's in the draw and who's not, because at the end of the day it's all about your next match and who you're going to face and trying to win that match. I think that's what we're ‑‑ that's everyone's goal out here, because you're ‑‑ within nine days of this tournament you're facing different types of opponents and different levels, and the further you get in the tournament the tougher it gets, and, you know (23), youobviously hope to be the one that's holding the trophy.

Q.University of British Columbia justrevealed a study about grunting, and their conclusion is that it has distracted the opponent, that the reaction is slower.

What do you think about it? Do you agree with it or ‑‑ because it's scientific, they say?

MARIASHARAPOVA: I don't know. That's the first time I've heard about that。

Q.

It's just revealed this weekend.

MARIASHARAPOVA: Oh, that's great.

Q. Do you feel distracted when somebody else, your opponent, is grunting?

MARIASHARAPOVA: No, I pretty much worry about‑‑ there are so many things you have to worry about in a match, and that's really the last thing you think about when you're out there.

Last edited by Marilyn Monheaux : Oct 4th, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Marilyn Monheaux is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #345
country flag slamchamp

Not a word about an illness
Closed Thread