BREAKING: Opera Australia sacked Georgian-born Tamar Iveri over homophobic comment - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 09:08 AM   #1
country flag Brett.
Rest In Peace, Elena

Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute
BREAKING: Opera Australia sacked Georgian-born Tamar Iveri over homophobic comment

Opera Australia have today confirmed that Georgian soprano Tamar Iveri will now not be performing shows here,
after a viciously homophobic missive from her was exposed and the resulting backlash against her was huge.

In an open letter on her Facebook page last year, she wrote to the Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili after an LGBT Pride event, telling him:
“I was quite proud of the fact that Georgian society spat at the parade.” She added that such events are “vigorous attempts to bring West’s
‘fecal masses’ in the mentality of the people by means of propaganda.”

“Opera Australia believes the views as stated to be unconscionable.”

She then claimed her husband had authored some of the strongest and most offensive sentiments on the letter, which had been quickly
deleted from her page shortly afterwards.

Reacting to widespread community concern about Iveri’s homophobic views, Opera Australia today confirms that the soprano
will now not be performing here.

“Opera Australia has reached agreement with Ms Iveri to immediately release her from her contract with the company,”
the publicly-funded organisation announces.

Iveri and her husband have both made public statements in the last 48 hours with regards to comments, and she has
unreservedly apologised for those comments and views, Opera Australia adds.

Its announcement concludes: “Opera Australia believes the views as stated to be unconscionable.”

Same Same understands that key Opera Australia sponsors QANTAS and Mazda both expressed concern about Tamar Iveri’s views and
pushed for her to not be included in shows here.

Over 4,600 people had signed an online petition for Opera Australia to sack Iveri.

This bitch deserved it!

Last edited by Brett. : Jun 23rd, 2014 at 09:56 AM.
Brett. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 10:17 AM   #2
country flag Just Do It

Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BREAKING: Opera Australia sacked Georgian-born Tamar Iveri over homophobic commen

I wonder what does Gigi have to say about this
Just Do It is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 11:27 AM   #3
country flag buddyholly

buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future
Re: BREAKING: Opera Australia sacked Georgian-born Tamar Iveri over homophobic commen

Comments on the spur of the moment can always be forgiven, but with a letter like that, then the fat lady sings.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:08 PM   #4
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

This escalated fairly quickly. I saw her comments just a few days ago and now they've sacked her. I think the members have been quite vocal in this. They can't risk this becoming and issue. And I was thinking about going to Masked Ball hoping to see a good, old fashioned booing.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:57 PM   #5
country flag fufuqifuqishahah

fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
This escalated fairly quickly. I saw her comments just a few days ago and now they've sacked her. I think the members have been quite vocal in this. They can't risk this becoming and issue. And I was thinking about going to Masked Ball hoping to see a good, old fashioned booing.
Isn't it already an issue?

Grand Slam [oJankyoEugeniusoAnaresoBarktraoRebelLio]
Come Baaaack [oShinoboooMarie!oNutcrackeroThe Original Russian Bombshello]
Wake Up! [oVeeoThe Slovak SpideroFrannyoSlam StephensoVaniaoJellyDee!o]

fufuqifuqishahah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 03:16 PM   #6
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Probably because the arts in general, is more sensitive to homophobia. They could lose support if they fail to act against incidents of homophobia in their ranks.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 03:22 PM   #7
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett. View Post

Opera Australia have today confirmed that Georgian soprano Tamar Iveri will now not be performing shows here,
after a viciously homophobic missive from her was exposed and the resulting backlash against her was huge.

In an open letter on her Facebook page last year, she wrote to the Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili after an LGBT Pride event, telling him:
“I was quite proud of the fact that Georgian society spat at the parade.” She added that such events are “vigorous attempts to bring West’s
‘fecal masses’ in the mentality of the people by means of propaganda.”

“Opera Australia believes the views as stated to be unconscionable.”

She then claimed her husband had authored some of the strongest and most offensive sentiments on the letter, which had been quickly
deleted from her page shortly afterwards.

Reacting to widespread community concern about Iveri’s homophobic views, Opera Australia today confirms that the soprano
will now not be performing here.

“Opera Australia has reached agreement with Ms Iveri to immediately release her from her contract with the company,”
the publicly-funded organisation announces.

Iveri and her husband have both made public statements in the last 48 hours with regards to comments, and she has
unreservedly apologised for those comments and views, Opera Australia adds.

Its announcement concludes: “Opera Australia believes the views as stated to be unconscionable.”

Same Same understands that key Opera Australia sponsors QANTAS and Mazda both expressed concern about Tamar Iveri’s views and
pushed for her to not be included in shows here.

Over 4,600 people had signed an online petition for Opera Australia to sack Iveri.

This bitch deserved it!
Curious statements coming from someone that looks like the result of a $200 sex-change surgery.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #8
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

She was deservedly sacked. Bye!
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 02:09 AM   #9
country flag Pops Maellard
Hot Messes Need Love

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Pops Maellard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #10
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute

Why apologize when you've been fired already! No need to suck on their kneecaps
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14, Washington '14
Monzanator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #11
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

I just listened to her sing one of the slowest (dragging) Vissi d'Arte's I've ever heard. The voice is not bad though.

This is why people who are in the public eye should shut the hell up. Who did she think really needed to know her opinion on gays? Even if her husband posted the worst of it, one wonders why she would be with a man who is that vile.

And for someone in the arts especially to not realize that you can't talk about gays in the way that she did and not expect serious repercussions is just plain stupid.

Then again she is a soprano.

I will never understand this need that so many people in the public eye have to put their thoughts out into cyberspace because once they are there, that's all she wrote.

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.

Last edited by HippityHop : Jun 25th, 2014 at 08:48 PM.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 12:09 AM   #12
country flag Drake1980

Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute

~CASTANO~MEUSBURGER~SADIKOVIC~J.Cohen~
Drake1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #13
country flag superstition

superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Comments on the spur of the moment can always be forgiven, but with a letter like that, then the fat lady sings.
I don't think that sort of venom would be particularly easy to overlook in any context (other than satirical comedy).
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop
This is why people who are in the public eye should shut the hell up. Who did she think really needed to know her opinion on gays? Even if her husband posted the worst of it, one wonders why she would be with a man who is that vile.

And for someone in the arts especially to not realize that you can't talk about gays in the way that she did and not expect serious repercussions is just plain stupid.
It's cultural stupidity. It's not just an example of the "few bad apples".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzanator View Post
The song is called "I Would Like to Work Again".
superstition is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 05:07 AM   #14
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute

Work again? Like where? In Australia?
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14, Washington '14
Monzanator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #15
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzanator View Post
Because she may not get another job again... well maybe in Putin's Russia

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote