Continue Your Good Form in Prague Ági!!! - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #106
country flag Sor.ana

Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all
Re: Continue Your Good Form in Prague Ági!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakapeszi View Post
3 - non officially, quite a lot of Hungarians think the most successful Hungarian tennis player of all time is Monica Seles
Why ? She has nothing to do with Hungary
Aga.Oudin.Petrova.Peer.Laine.Beltrame.Hradecka.Saf arova.Hlavackova.
Juniors:Robson.Svitolina.Puig.Khromacheva.Mladenovic.Seat eun.Kostic.Bouchard

Hall of fame:Vaidisova.Henin.Dementieva.SanchezLorenzo.Myskina .Golovin[/size]
Sor.ana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 27th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #107
country flag Gregorio87

Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sor.ana View Post
Why ? She has nothing to do with Hungary

Wikipedia is our friend:

Monica Seles (Hungarian: Szeles Mónika, Serbian: Моника Селеш, Monika Seleš, pronounced [sɛlɛʃ], born December 2, 1973) is a former World No. 1 professional tennis player and a member of the International Tennis Hall of Fame. She was born in Novi Sad, Yugoslavia (now Serbia) to Hungarian parents. She became a naturalized United States citizen in 1994 and also received Hungarian citizenship in June 2007.[1][2] She won nine Grand Slam singles titles, winning eight of them while a citizen of Yugoslavia and one while a citizen of the United States.

But I think she didn't speak about it, and just her big fans knew it. This Hungarian citizenship was made quite secretly too
Sampras is another case, it's more like if Baghdatis would have two Greek parents living in Cyprus and he plays for Cyprus, then is he Greek or not?
Gregorio87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #108
country flag Sor.ana

Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all Sor.ana is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio87 View Post

Wikipedia is our friend:

Monica Seles (Hungarian: Szeles Mónika, Serbian: Моника Селеш, Monika Seleš, pronounced [sɛlɛʃ], born December 2, 1973) is a former World No. 1 professional tennis player and a member of the International Tennis Hall of Fame. She was born in Novi Sad, Yugoslavia (now Serbia) to Hungarian parents. She became a naturalized United States citizen in 1994 and also received Hungarian citizenship in June 2007.[1][2] She won nine Grand Slam singles titles, winning eight of them while a citizen of Yugoslavia and one while a citizen of the United States.

But I think she didn't speak about it, and just her big fans knew it. This Hungarian citizenship was made quite secretly too
Sampras is another case, it's more like if Baghdatis would have two Greek parents living in Cyprus and he plays for Cyprus, then is he Greek or not?
I went to Wiki to check if she was from Serbia as I thought, and didn't read further . Thanks.
But on that way, I still not consider her as Hugarian

Old Jul 27th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #109
country flag Hakapeszi

Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sor.ana View Post
I went to Wiki to check if she was from Serbia as I thought, and didn't read further . Thanks.
But on that way, I still not consider her as Hugarian
Ask a Polish, who is the most successful Polish tennis player of all time...

"Fine words." Tyrion was unimpressed. "Words are wind. Who is this bloody savior?"
"A dragon." The cheesemonger saw the look on his face at that, and laughed. "A dragon with three heads."
Hakapeszi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #110
country flag Gregorio87

Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of Gregorio87 has much to be proud of

It's just different views of something and the question is quite difficult. But she has clearly something to do with Hungary

Hakapeszi, yes it was my first idea too. But Polish players aren't good examples either. Their parents are immigrants, but Szeles is an ethnic Hungarian, what is a different case.

Last edited by Gregorio87 : Jul 27th, 2010 at 08:33 PM.
Gregorio87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #111
country flag Hajrá Ági!
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all

There are so many examples of famous people, and obviously a lot of non-famous people, who consider themselves to be Hungarian as they are of Hungarian descent. The fact they were born in another country because of historical circumstances (The Székely people being the most obvious example I can think of) shouldn't matter.

As far as I see it, from a neutral viewpoint, they are Hungarian and have every right to be proud of it.

It's such a shame that people from the west (in general) have little or no concept of who or what ethnic Hungarians are, or where they live, or why they live in those places. We don't get taught anything about it at any point during our education, and as a result few people take it upon themselves to find out about it. There are so many topics like this that I wish they would bring into schools, even just to give a brief overview so that people could choose to find out more if they wanted, because most people here have absolutely no idea of what is going on in Eastern Europe or what has gone on in the past. There is so many things from Hungarian history and Hungarian present that I'd love to be able to discuss with people but nobody where I live would know what I was talking about never mind have their own opinions about it.
Hajrá Ági! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #112
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

I once went to grammar school in New York with a girl who's parents were from Hungary, and most people said "Hungary? You're Hungry?"
She considered herself Hungarian and she spoke only Hungarian at home and visited Hungary every Summer and also during Christmas and Easter. She has every right to say she is Hungarian. She's probably a citizen too. Maybe now she even lives in Hungary

Quote:

Wikipedia is our friend:

Just yesterday I read about Stella Sampras, a tennis coach (Pete's sister) in a Greek-American magazine. I believe their parents were from Greece, like Seles' parents were from Hungary. I don't think they speak Greek that well though . Sampras was in Greece a few years ago for an ATP champions tour event and I think he said "I don't speak Greek very well" . But Sampras and Philippoussis were going to join the Greek Davis Cup team in 2001/2002 (as you can see Philippoussis took a few years off of the Australian team because he was unhappy with them, and he wanted to play for Greece in Davis Cup and in Athens 2004), but unfortunately this never happened.

Baghdatis is a different case. A few years ago he was offered Greek and French citizenship, but decided to stay Cypriot, as he had already played Davis Cup for them and then he would have to sit out of Davis Cup for a while, and that is his favorite tournament. He wouldn't have a chance either way though, because by the time he'd be able to play (I think 2009), was when Economidis had reitred . And believe it or not, Baghdatis' father is not ethnically Greek! . His mother is, but his father is from Lebanon and moved to Cyprus. He still knows Greek (all Greek-Cypriots do), and he comes to Greece a lot, for holidays, tournaments (before he was ranked so high), and even an exhibition and has been seen numerous times wearing the Greek football kit. I guess he would be playing for Greece right now if Turkey never invaded Cyprus, because then Cyprus and Greece would've united and then all Cypriot athletes can compete with Greek athletes. It's stupid though, because Turkish-Cypriot athletes play for Turkey, but Greek-Cypriot athletes play for Cyprus. If Turkey has "Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus", then Greece should have "Hellenic Republic of Southern Cyprus" . We don't want to divide the island though, but the Turks will never leave, especially after the Jennifer Lopez in Northern Cyprus incident. Also, Cypriot athletes always compete in Greek National Championships (athletics, swimming, and other individual sports), so it's stupid that they can't play on our teams . There have been a few cases where Cypriot athletes moved to Greece to become Greek citizens and play on their teams, but for Baghdatis it would be hard because it would take forever to become a Greek citizen since he's always on tour and he'd have to spend more time in Greece, unlike the Kazakh system where they take anyone who wants to play for them . Also, in Eurovision Greek-Cypriot singer Anna Vissi has represented both Greece and Cyprus . And several Cypriot singers have competed in the Greek National Final and lost. Same thing with Greeks in the Cypriot NF, whereas you never see Turks in the Cypriot NF

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #113
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

I talk too much

Old Jul 28th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #114
country flag Hajrá Ági!
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all Hajrá Ági! is a name known to all

hellas719, not at all. I never knew any of Sampras' background, or Baghdatis' for that matter, until I just read what you wrote. I certainly knew nothing of the Jennifer Lopez incident until now, not that it surprises me in the slightest that she and/or her management organised a concert on that date. Anyway, it's good when people have a lot to say, everyone learns from everyone else's experience, that's why I like this forum so much.
Hajrá Ági! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #115
country flag Sor.ana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakapeszi View Post
Ask a Polish, who is the most successful Polish tennis player of all time...
Don't know Polish People

Quote:
It's just different views of something and the question is quite difficult. But she has clearly something to do with Hungary

Hakapeszi, yes it was my first idea too. But Polish players aren't good examples either. Their parents are immigrants, but Szeles is an ethnic Hungarian, what is a different case.
Agree with you for the Polish players. Indeed many of them were born before 1991 when USSR still existed, borders weren't set.
But in this case, we can find many players who aren't "really" from their ethnic origin. I wanna say, if your parents are Hungarian, and you were born in Serbia, you are also considered as an Hungarian. Many players are in that case I guess.

Old Jul 29th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #116
country flag hellas719

Yeah, I guess it works both ways
For example Mirella Manjani and Savva Lika both represented Greece in the javelin throw in the Olympics multiple times, and both are Albanian immigrants in Greece

Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:19 PM   #117
country flag Hakapeszi

Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future

"Fine words." Tyrion was unimpressed. "Words are wind. Who is this bloody savior?"
"A dragon." The cheesemonger saw the look on his face at that, and laughed. "A dragon with three heads."

Last edited by Hakapeszi : Aug 4th, 2010 at 07:27 AM.
Hakapeszi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #118
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

ATP: Novak Djoković

Crazy Frenches! Gilles Simon | Alizé Cornet
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote