International series SEC, Bali - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 1st, 2010, 01:22 AM   #31
country flag Inktrailer

Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of
Re: International series SEC, Bali

I find it hard to udnerstand all of this

But fo rme, I know we have the rankings for how we've all scored over the year, I'd have thought that top 8 play Doha and next 8 play Bali, regardless of who won IS series. Some people may only have played a few times all year and get in to Bali, whilst others who have played every week miss out because someone happened to have won a particular tournament.

Hope that makes some kind of sense

Vika Azarenka // Shahar Peer // Virginie Razzano // Caro Wozniacki// Flavia Pennetta

Elena Baltacha // Katie O'Brien // Anne Keothavong // Sarah Borwell // Melanie South // Naomi Cavaday

Tipping Titles 2010: Miami, Rome, Eastbourne, Stanford
Inktrailer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:00 AM   #32
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

^^ That's a good argument Ink, but winning an IS event is crucial for qualifying for this tournament even in real tennis. As it's stated on the WTA site: "Eight players who have captured at least one International tournament during the year and who are not participating in singles at the year-end Sony Ericsson Championships - Doha 2010 will qualify for the event.".
Anyway, it will most likely be a system where those who have earned the most points on IS events get to qualify (sort of like a race) alongside the IS winners, so it's unlikely that many of the top16 will miss out (and we'll let 11 players in instead of 8 so...). And there's still three IS tournaments left to be played so a lot of opportunities to get in.
ma re is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 07:03 AM   #33
country flag Inktrailer

Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of

That's grand, just wanted to put my thoughts forward, seeing as you put so much effort into running all of this

Vika Azarenka // Shahar Peer // Virginie Razzano // Caro Wozniacki// Flavia Pennetta

Elena Baltacha // Katie O'Brien // Anne Keothavong // Sarah Borwell // Melanie South // Naomi Cavaday

Tipping Titles 2010: Miami, Rome, Eastbourne, Stanford
Inktrailer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #34
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

After much thought and discussions I think I have figured out a good point distribution system for Bali:

- we guess not only the winner of the match, but also the score of the match in sets (example, 2:1 for Jankovic, 2:0 for Petrova...)
- in the quarterfinal matches; getting both, the winner and the score right, gets you 5 points, getting just the winner right but not the score 4 points, and not getting either the winner nor the score, 3 points
- in the semifinals; winner+score 6 points, just the winner 5 points, neither of the two, 4 points
- in the finals; winner+score 7 points, just the winner 6 points, neither of the two, 5 points
- we also guess the number of games in the finals, like we usually do, to use as a tie-breaker (example: 2:0 for Dementieva, 19 games)
- bonus points are as follows...180 for the winner (more than for IS, less than for Premier), 150 for the runner-up, 120 for 3rd and 4th, 75 for 5th to 8th place and 25 for those ranked between 9th and 11th.

Now to explain a few things. There will be only 7 matches played in Bali, so using our standard system would get us some problems. For instance, if some players don't get bonus points in Bali, there's a risk that those players will (for example, for finishing 9th) get less points in Bali than for finishing at the same place in some ordinary IS event like Brisbane or Tashkent (because there's less matches to play). That's why I wanted to make sure that players don't "go home" with less points than they would get for the same finish on one of the tournaments we played leading up to Bali, cause after all this is kind of an exclusive event for which you have to qualify by being great during the whole year, so it's only fair to reward that. So with this system, no one will end up with less than 50 points (25 for picks and 25 bonus points), even if they don't get anything right and finish last, but also there's no chance that someone wins more than 219 (39 for picks, 180 bonus) points, which is between what we get in IS/Premier 5 events and Premier Mandatory events with large draws.

Also, because we will be guessing the number of sets in all those matches, there's a lesser chance of ties, cause there are 4 possibilities (player A in 2, player B in 2, player A in 3 or player B in 3) to choose from for every match instead of two.

If no one objects, I'd like to make this official.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #35
country flag WhoAmI?

WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute

I was just about to ask why reward points to the one that got no correct picks, but you explained it. No objections
WhoAmI? is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #36
country flag Tales

Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold

I'm too tired/lazy to understand it all but I guess it is ok. Since this is the first time it's impossible to know what works best right now, so we should review after the tournament. Same with Doha.

Just one thing, why give points for guessing wrong?
#9 Highest #1 Titles: 2009: Budapest, Los Angeles, Cincinnati, 2010: Sydney, Moscow
Suicide Tennis: #51 Highest #23 Win: Bad Gastein 09, 's-Hertogenbosch 10, RU: Osaka 09, Luxembourg 09
TT Singles: #114 Highest #106
TT Doubles: #62 Highest #62 Titles: 2009 ITF Saint-Gaudens(w Marco tennis), 2010 Barcelona (w WhoAmI)
Tales is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #37
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tales View Post
Just one thing, why give points for guessing wrong?
Because there's so little matches to be played here, and because this is one of those tournaments for which you work all year to qualify, so as a reward there's this "guarantee" that you'll at least earn some points here.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #38
country flag ma re

Tales and I were just writing eachother about points for Doha and Bali and he noticed (which I haven't) that I made some mistakes in my suggestion for this point distribution system, like giving more bonus points than what we get for winning a Premier series event, which is really too much for this tournament. So here are some changes...:

1. Five, seven and ten points for QF matches.
2. Seven, ten and twelve points for SF matches.
3. Ten, twelve and fifteen points for the finals.
4. Bonus points, 140 for the winner, 100 for the runner-up, 70 for 3rd & 4th and 50 for 5th to 8th.

No bonus points for 9th to 11th, but because of more points given for tipping matches that's not really a problem now, cause no player can win less than 44 points. The largest number of points one can win stays at previously mentioned 219.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #39
country flag ronim1

ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of

Looking good
2010- Tipping: Winner-Generali Ladies Linz;
2009 Winner Tipping:
Portoroz;2008 Winner Suicide Tennis: Generali Ladies Linz Tipping: Fortis Luxembourg;Kremlin Cup;Guangzhou;New Haven;OG Beijing;Los Angeles;Rome
ronim1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote